• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Film ► Could an Brer Rabbit movie be done tastefully?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Sonofjafar

Awards
Could it be possible for Disney to adapt the Brer Rabbit stories without even having the title of the last film attached? I know SOTS is a thing and a very distasteful thing but if Disney were to try doing this with a focus on the hardships of that still remained for African Americans shortly after the civil war, it would make it a lot easier for people to not want the other one on Disney +.

I was considering bringing this up in the most recent live action remake thread but I felt this particular subject Should be expanded upon

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
dsmGaKWMeHXe9QuJtq_ys30PNfTGnMsRuHuo_MUzGCg.jpg

Soldier

Awards
Given the original author (Joel Chandler Harris)'s less than stellar reputation even before cobbling together the stories that made him famous like assisting in the U.S's only plantation centric newspaper The Countryman or evading the draft for the civil war. He cobbled together folk tales that he heard from slaves that were owned by one of his employers and made a mockery of the African Americans by giving them the most stereotypical way of speaking in said stories (whatever you're thinking of, it is worse). So already the stories themselves would under scrutiny without even touching upon the actual content based on the author's deplorable actions. There's really no way I could see Disney making a live action remake or even a remake of the movie to begin with in this day and age unless their CEO is purposefully trying to get the house of mouse to file for chapter 11.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
No... Song of the South is locked in a vault and even Splash Mountain (which only featured Brer Rabbit and not the unsavory parts) is being re-themed to The Princess and the Frog for that reason. I don't think Disney would touch anything with it because it couldn't help but dredge up the history.

Back