• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Creatures/Beings of Light?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Xx_HS_xX

Awards
How come there aren't more creatures of light like there are of darkness? For beings of dark we have the heartless, unversed, dark data, and dreameaters.

In regards to light, we only have the normal humans and Princess of Heart. Shouldn't there reasonably be more? How come light is only restricted to limited forms while darkness seems boundless? (lol, I kinda wish that dream-eaters were a form of light; the benevolent ones).

Do we have any interviews on if Nomura ever thought about implementing different creatures of light like there are of darkness or why he thought against it if he did?

Also what are your theories on what type of light creature or forms that should exist in conjuction with the forms of darkness?

Lol, imo, I thought it would be cool if the PoH had the power to create and produce different forms or beings of light.

Last edited:

Soldier

Awards
How come there aren't more creatures of light like there are of darkness? For beings of dark we have the heartless, unversed, dark data, and dreameaters.

In regards to light, we only have the normal humans and Princess of Heart. Shouldn't there reasonably be more? How come light is only restricted to limited forms while darkness seems boundless? (lol, I kinda wish that dream-eaters were a form of light; the benevolent ones).
Having creatures of light would be problematic for a multitude of reasons. Reason number one being that it would likely conflict with what the original kingdom hearts stood for. During the first dive to the heart in the series, the mysterious voice says and I quote:
"The closer you get to light, the greater your shadow becomes"
And this makes sense from both realism and the light/dark narrative. As there is light in every heart, there's also darkness, some have more than one and less of the other, but it varies. But KH stresses that the balance between the two isn't equal, as seen in multiple games where the darkness is a constant force for the protagonists to oppose. Heck, KH 1 has literal mass GENOCIDE on a multiplanetary scale, and the whole point of the game is to close the door and restore the worlds lost to the heartless. Introducing beings of light would make the efforts of Sora and co. fruitless, because if they were as infinite as the heartless, why would they even need to fight.

There's an unwritten rule in a story like KH that if you have an abundant force of evil, you need to have small bits of rebellion against it, and that's what the heroes represent. Are they up against unfathomable odds? yes. Are they going to go down without a fight? no. Having light soldiers to counter them defeat the foes for them cheapens their effectiveness doesn't it? (Plus, KH 2 introduced claymores in Hollow Bastion as the town's defense system, which ARE kind of light based entities?). Most games that incorporate light based creatures often do it in one of two ways

A: This creature was once good, but now has gone bad, take it out.
or
B: This creature is here to test you, prove your worth.
The legend of Zelda series incorporates both concepts of light based creatures pretty effectively. In Skyward Sword the silent realm has enemies that either observe you and alert others to your presence, and others that hunt you down. Are these creatures trying to kill you out of malicious intent? no, they're put in the game to test the protagonist to see if he's capable of handling his quest. It's not that light based creatures CAN'T be implemented, it's just a matter of whether or not they SHOULD be implemented in a series where the power struggle is already pretty weighted in one direction.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards

Do we have any interviews on if Nomura ever thought about implementing different creatures of light like there are of darkness or why he thought against it if he did?

Also what are your theories on what type of light creature or forms that should exist in conjuction with the forms of darkness?

Lol, imo, I thought it would be cool if the PoH had the power to create and produce different forms or beings of light.
I think it's because creatures of light are people (uncorrupted hearts).

Heartless are hearts corrupted by darkness. Nobodies are the bodies of people with strong hearts that lost their heart (and became a heartless). Unversed are beings born from the negative emotions (of Vanitas). Dreameaters (and Nightmares) are keyblade wielders from the Age of Fairytales that perished - I suppose that can count as creatures of light.

If you take a step back and think about what the natural order of things would be without Xehanort's meddling, there would really only be people. Unversed only came about because of Vanitas and Heartless/Nobodies because Xehanort started meddling with darkness.

The only "true" creatures of light and darkness would be the 7 Princesses of Heart (light) and the True Darknesses seen in KHUX (like Vanitas).

Absent

Nomura's Biggest Fan
Awards
Having creatures of light would be problematic for a multitude of reasons. Reason number one being that it would likely conflict with what the original kingdom hearts stood for. During the first dive to the heart in the series, the mysterious voice says and I quote:
"The closer you get to light, the greater your shadow becomes"
And this makes sense from both realism and the light/dark narrative. As there is light in every heart, there's also darkness, some have more than one and less of the other, but it varies. But KH stresses that the balance between the two isn't equal, as seen in multiple games where the darkness is a constant force for the protagonists to oppose. Heck, KH 1 has literal mass GENOCIDE on a multiplanetary scale, and the whole point of the game is to close the door and restore the worlds lost to the heartless. Introducing beings of light would make the efforts of Sora and co. fruitless, because if they were as infinite as the heartless, why would they even need to fight.

There's an unwritten rule in a story like KH that if you have an abundant force of evil, you need to have small bits of rebellion against it, and that's what the heroes represent. Are they up against unfathomable odds? yes. Are they going to go down without a fight? no. Having light soldiers to counter them defeat the foes for them cheapens their effectiveness doesn't it? (Plus, KH 2 introduced claymores in Hollow Bastion as the town's defense system, which ARE kind of light based entities?). Most games that incorporate light based creatures often do it in one of two ways

or
B: This creature is here to test you, prove your worth.
The legend of Zelda series incorporates both concepts of light based creatures pretty effectively. In Skyward Sword the silent realm has enemies that either observe you and alert others to your presence, and others that hunt you down. Are these creatures trying to kill you out of malicious intent? no, they're put in the game to test the protagonist to see if he's capable of handling his quest. It's not that light based creatures CAN'T be implemented, it's just a matter of whether or not they SHOULD be implemented in a series where the power struggle is already pretty weighted in one direction.
I like this this because it goes beyond lore. It’s a world building tenet that works within the structures of conflict.

It feels nice and refreshing to read a take that goes past lore/game reasons.

Soldier

Awards
I like this this because it goes beyond lore. It’s a world building tenet that works within the structures of conflict.

It feels nice and refreshing to read a take that goes past lore/game reasons.
Thank you, I try.

Xx_HS_xX

Awards
If you take a step back and think about what the natural order of things would be without Xehanort's meddling, there would really only be people....Unversed only came about because of Vanitas and Heartless/Nobodies because Xehanort start
The only "true" creatures of light and darkness would be the 7 Princesses of Heart (light) and the True Darknesses seen in KHUX (like Vanitas).
Ahh, so the centerpieces of light and dark are the "true" forms and everything else are offshoots.

That's a cool way to look at it. And since there are only 7 lights and 13 darkness it could, in a sense, represent how we see that there are more forms of dark than there are of light.

Having creatures of light would be problematic for a multitude of reasons....KH stresses that the balance between the two isn't equal, as seen in multiple games where the darkness is a constant force for the protagonists to oppose.....Introducing beings of light would make the efforts of Sora and co. fruitless, because if they were as infinite as the heartless, why would they even need to fight....there's an unwritten rule in a story like KH that if you have an abundant force of evil, you need to have small bits of rebellion against it, and that's what the heroes represent.... Most games that incorporate light based creatures often do it in one of two ways
or
B: This creature is here to test you, prove your worth. It's not that light based creatures CAN'T be implemented, it's just a matter of whether or not they SHOULD be implemented in a series where the power struggle is already pretty weighted in one direction.
I agree with absent - this is very great take. I never thought of those aspects and it does make a lot of sense.

Because, before the keyblade war began, light and dark were balanced.

And it wasn't until stuff started going up in flames that the scales of power tipped towards darkness.

So in the case of if it should be implemented: I think it would be a cool goal that the hero's could have - to create different creatures of light tasked to do different things throughout the world just to keep the balance between light and dark. lol, just literally build up new lore themselves.

Last edited:

magic713

Awards
Because creatures of darkness crave the light, but not the other way around. beings of light are content, and only those capable and dedicated to defending the light combat the many dark denizens trying to steal.

Last edited:
Awards
is darkness boundless though? most dark creatures are basically monsters while light creatures have varied looks (Sora, Beast, Donald Goofy, Phil, Simba etc) while also being fully conscious with personalities that are able to grow and change depending on souroundings and personal decisions. And if you notice, when someone dies, ther body turns into light particles so i thi k that means they are made of light just like how in FFX they become pyreflies cause they are made of thoise

Back