• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Curiosity

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dawning Twilight

The Egotistical Bastard
Making Out With DT Cause He's So Damn Sexy!
As mentioned I'm really just curious about something. I've noticed a lot of people say how "gay" something is or how "retarded" you are and well it bothers me. I don't like it one bit. However I realize I can't do a damn thing about it really so I pose a question. Why do people say that what's the point to it? I realize it must often be substituted as a swear word to express a state of mind but why say it even still? To especially call something "retarded" especially irks me because of the line of work i am in. So really i'm just curious about why it's said. Thank you for all who give their opinions and thoughts.

Nyx Winters

The Dawn Fox
Awards
because people don't understand not understanding something normally gives you fear and fear gives you stuff like anger so basically misunderstood=fear=anger

Faris

Perfect Harmony
Banter, Slang etc etc. Its been around for years. I suppose it catchs on. I kinda see where you are coming from, but if thats the case how can something be "cool"?

"Thats cool bro"
"no, its just a normal temperature"

See what I mean?

D∆NTE

Cod 6 online profile (lizymans)
They are kind of alternatives for swear words. if you dont want to swear, or your to young, than you will most likely use those words. but your right, besides, saying that someone is retarded is kind of wrong. its just like joking around and saying that you have cancer, we shouldn't make light of things like that.

Seeshinamaru13

stalking Grimmjow...from a distance...cuz yeah he'
It's kind of something you learn when you're younger as an alternative to swearing and unfortunately for most it just sticks with you... although personally I can't remember the last time I said something was retarded (because that one is just mean). I will admit though that I do tend to call things gay a lot... in terms of slang I believe that word has obtained a new meaning. I try not to offend anyone... and to my knowledge I don't believe I have really offended anyone by saying that.

Faris

Perfect Harmony
Red - Indeed. Slang is rather confusing. I suppose some parts of slang are better than others. Though I still dislike it for my own reasons..

Oh yeah definately, I'm not particularly fond of calling or being called a retard or something along those lines. I just try not to think about it. I dont think it will change anytime soon.

S

Shadow Soldier

Kind of pointless and retarded to get upset over something so common nowadays :/

Ophan

Airman
Awards
Website
zionphnx.deviantart.com
You were curious about something so simple to understand. I understand that most derogatory words aren't always used in their proper context, but it really doesn't take curiosity to realize that it substitutes a more "cooler" way to describe things ppl do as dumb or awkward. Were talking about banter slang, it's very common in the sense that you have most likely used this slang one way or another yourself.

It's pretty gay to hop on society's bandwagon and do things the way others do it because it's so common.

then you must be a man of great individualism, and i applaud you for pointing out the flaws of people being a sheep to society. dumbass

Sawah

unofficial HOTH
Awards
i haven't heard anybody at my school say the word "gay" in a really long time. nowadays, we just call other people a "homo", which is exactly the same thing. as for retarted, that is a rare insult as far as i've heard. very few people use it. i don't use it, and i don't think any of my friends do either.

but i know that a lot of people use both of those words, and it's freedom of speech if you ask me. we can say whatever we want, it doesn't matter if it offends other people.

F

Fagren

then you must be a man of great individualism, and i applaud you for pointing out the flaws of people being a sheep to society. I'm such a dumbass for admitting the fact that I am one of these sheep.

Poor little sheep, getting sheared just like all the other followers.

Ophan

Airman
Awards
Website
zionphnx.deviantart.com
Poor little sheep, getting sheared just like all the other followers.

thanx for proving my point, and taking a little over 3 minutes to actually make a comeback >.>

i haven't heard anybody at my school say the word "gay" in a really long time. nowadays, we just call other people a "homo", which is exactly the same thing. as for retarted, that is a rare insult as far as i've heard. very few people use it. i don't use it, and i don't think any of my friends do either.

but i know that a lot of people use both of those words, and it's freedom of speech if you ask me. we can say whatever we want, it doesn't matter if it offends other people.

i 've known plenty of ppl use the word homo in my school as well, in front of teachers no less, and they never did anything about it, unless it was during class in which things are supposed to be kept professional.

F

Fagren

thanx for proving my point, and taking a little over 3 minutes to actually make a comeback >.>

i 've known plenty of ppl use the word homo in my school as well, in front of teachers no less, and they never did anything about it, unless it was during class in which things are supposed to be kept professional.

Implying that you ever had a point.Damn, in the mood for lambchops.

Nyangoro

Break the Spell
Awards
This thread is so gay that it's retarded.

Anyway, it's just common slang. I guarantee you that most of the people saying it don't mean anything derogatory by it (at least, not towards the people that the words are associated with).

Pelafina

lately, lovely
Awards
Words evolve, which a lot of people don't seem to realize. 'Gay' originally meant happy or gleeful, then homosexual, and now it's just a synonym for 'bad.' Sure, it may not be the best or most articulate choice of words, but I don't have any issues with it.

What does make me angry though is calling, for example, the 'mentally handicapped' (or whatever politically correct term is popular these days,) kids 'retarded.' If we're not supposed to use them improperly, and we're not supposed to use them when it's correct, when are we? There's no point in having a word if no one's ever going to use it.

Orion

Prepared To Die
Awards
They're all just euphemisms that are an example of a still-evolving language.

αsiя

space coke
I grew up with this kind of language
My parents even say these kind of stuff to me and other people

Nami

usually not funny
It's kind of something you learn when you're younger as an alternative to swearing and unfortunately for most it just sticks with you... although personally I can't remember the last time I said something was retarded (because that one is just mean). I will admit though that I do tend to call things gay a lot... in terms of slang I believe that word has obtained a new meaning. I try not to offend anyone... and to my knowledge I don't believe I have really offended anyone by saying that.

This. .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back