• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Darkness itself is KH's antagonist?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

SoraKing3

Banned
This is a theory I've been thinking about for a while. It's a pretty short and simple one.

Anyways, I'm starting to think that the essence of darkness itself is the main villain of the KH series. Why do I think this?

Example 1 - Master Xehanort:

MX originally had good intentions when it came to Kingdom Hearts. He just wanted knowledge. He didn't plan on hurting anybody, he didn't plan on destroying worlds and causing galactic chaos. But notice how after Master Xehanort learns about the Darkness, his motives start to become a little more...eviler. His appearance begins to change..and eventually he hurts the man he considered his younger brother by using the power of darkness. He almost destroys his pupil's heart. He kills his "younger brother". He takes over Terra's body.

How did all of this stem from wanting knowledge? I believe that Master Xehanort himself did not warp his plans, but the darkness did.

Example 2 - Xehanort:

Xehanort started off from being a curious genius to becoming a power crazed psychopath. But Xehanort's warped intentions started after he became involved with the darkness. Darkness began to make him desire more things. Eventually he decided using Kingdom Hearts to control everything in the universe would be a good idea.

Those are all of the example I am going to use for now, since I am lazy. Anyways, the main point behind all of this is that I believe the force of darkness itself influenced both Master Xehanort's and Apprentice Xehanort's plans, making the both of them merely victims of being possessed. Both of them had good intentions, but the darkness warped their minds. The darkness is the cause of all destruction, of all mayhem, of all malice in Kingdom Hearts. It is the main villain.

Thoughts?

Ovafaze

idyllic dream
Awards
Darkness is KH's heroin .

I think it's just there to show that its bad if you rely too much on it. Riku is able to control it. I don't think it's the main villain, and if it turns out to be, then I'm done.

Turn

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ~&#
Awards
Website
flavors.me
I'm not under the impression that darkness or light are active forces—neither are inherently good nor evil—but rather mediums that (like any other) can be abused. It just so happens that darkness seems to be the easiest to exploit to more questionable ends. And I don't think we could say that either Terra or Riku as we presently understand them are "evil."

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I remember their being a few quotes in the games stating Darkness is not what is evil, rather it is those that use it for evil intentions that make it bad. When one becomes obsessed with power, especially an easily obtainable power such as Darkness, then it becomes easy to manipulate and corrupt. The same can be done to the Light, which has been presented by Master Eraqus being blinded by the Light...and by Aqua in a conversation with the Fairy Godmother.

In CoM/Re:CoM, Namine tells Riku that his greatest power is the Darkness and that he should embrace it. And Terra wasn't evil by using the Darkness, but was manipulated by those who used his desire for power as a way to corrupt the Darkness in him (which didn't work because he was still good even after being taken over by MX)

Darkness isn't inherently bad. It is like a gun. It can be used to protect, or used to destroy.

Ovafaze

idyllic dream
Awards
I remember their being a few quotes in the games stating Darkness is not what is evil, rather it is those that use it for evil intentions that make it bad. When one becomes obsessed with power, especially an easily obtainable power such as Darkness, then it becomes easy to manipulate and corrupt. The same can be done to the Light, which has been presented by Master Eraqus being blinded by the Light...and by Aqua in a conversation with the Fairy Godmother.

In CoM/Re:CoM, Namine tells Riku that his greatest power is the Darkness and that he should embrace it. And Terra wasn't evil by using the Darkness, but was manipulated by those who used his desire for power as a way to corrupt the Darkness in him (which didn't work because he was still good even after being taken over by MX)

Darkness isn't inherently bad. It is like a gun. It can be used to protect, or used to destroy.
sorry, I had to.

Should of played while you fought Eraqus :p

but when looking at the boss in the secret episode of bbsfm, it sorta looked like darkness itself, but I highly doubt that it will be the main villian, or atleast I hope not, that would be so lame.

metrifyx

I completely agree with Ovafaze, Turn, and Ethnic Woman. Darkness can't think, and it can't oppose anyone. It's not the darkness that is opposing them—they're opposing themselves, and sometimes others that are under the influence of it. You can certainly say that the darkness was a cause; after all, if darkness didn't exist the events of KH never would have happened. However, what the characters are really battling are the temptations within themselves, and others as a result of those temptations.

digimikej

Awards
one phrase can destroy this whole theory, and even though i hate to do so, i am obligated by strange person law.

the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Fractured_Heart628

Bronze Member
I don't think it was just darkness that drove Xehanort over the edge. I think it has more to do with his obsession with Kingdom Hearts that drove him nuts. I mean, if he didn't know so much about the Keyblade Wars than he wouldn't have sacrificed his own apprentice in order to form the X-blade that would have caused KH to open. All the darkness did was deepen his obsession with KH.

rac7d

The prince of Tides
Awards
darknes isnt bad it self its how you use it like a gun i can kill people or protect people

Memory Master

Gold Member
Awards
Darkness and Light do not represent evil and good. It's how a person uses them. Xehanort uses darkness for evil but Riku used darkness for good. Sora uses light for good and i'm sure it could be used for evil too.

It's the same with keyblades. Keyblades are neither evil nor good. It depends on how a person uses them.

It's not light and dark that are evil or good, it's the wielder.

digimikej

Awards
Darkness and Light do not represent evil and good. It's how a person uses them. Xehanort uses darkness for evil but Riku used darkness for good. Sora uses light for good and i'm sure it could be used for evil too.

It's the same with keyblades. Keyblades are neither evil nor good. It depends on how a person uses them.

It's not light and dark that are evil or good, it's the wielder.

i wouldnt say its the same with keyblades. if they choose their master, then wouldnt they no that theyre master is a sadistic pycho(vanitas) or i die hard good guy (sora)?

Nayru's Love

Why don't you play in Hell?
Awards
i wouldnt say its the same with keyblades. if they choose their master, then wouldnt they no that theyre master is a sadistic pycho(vanitas) or i die hard good guy (sora)?

The KK certainly didn't know the difference when it went to Riku.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards

Keyblades are indifferent to who you are or which side you're aligned with. All that matters is that you have a strong heart.

Maxyli138

I think it was ambition and greed that lead to MX and Xehanort to do evil things, not darkness. They just used darkness to try and get what they wanted. So you could say that darkness was just a tool used to help Xehanort, not so different from MX using Terra.

1Gannon1

Darkness is power. If darkness compels those who use it to do evil, then it is not because of it's exact nature, but rather that it is power. Light theoretically (or even provenly, if it happens in coded, BBS, or RE:CoM) could corrupt you just as easily. Riku was obsessed with waking up Kairi, and sought out the power to do so. And once he thought he had it, one it escaped his grasp he was willing to do anything to gain more power, so he opened his heart to a madman. He could have done the same with light and the outcome wouldn't really have been that different, but the ability to use the darkness presented it's self.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back