• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Death Penalty?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lumen et ignem

Bronze Member
What do you think of the Death Penalty? Do you think it's humane, ect.

Personally I don't think it's the best way to do things, and, depending on the crimes, I believe they're getting off easy. A painless injection and they aren't alive whereas if they went to prison they'd have time to feel guilty if at all possible. However I do think that before when they used the electric chair that that was inhumane not only to the criminal but the person activating the chair.

I know there was a thread like this before but that was in 2005. If this needs to be closed that's fine.

Orion

Prepared To Die
Awards
I'd say if it's someone who's committed some seriously bad crime shouldn't get the death penalty, unless they're some highly-dangerous person, where there's a good chance they might be busted out of jail, or still be a risk to society even while alive within jail. But at the same time, if the death penalty were removed, that's more space that would need to be built for prisoners in an already-crowded system.

Roa

piece of dying ember
Awards
I believe the death penalty should only be used on truly insane people. I mean the highly violent ones who will never stop killing. And only after they've commited a bunch of crimes, also, of high punishment.

So I don't think your average killer should get it. Nor your average criminal.

chasespicer056

Empathy is Divine
I believe the death penalty should only be used on truly insane people. I mean the highly violent ones who will never stop killing. And only after they've commited a bunch of crimes, also, of high punishment.

So I don't think your average killer should get it. Nor your average criminal.

Agreed. The death penalty should be a last resort and only applied to those people you described.

Callaghan

Awards
We don't have the Death Penalty here.
IMO, It's not right. Even if they are murderers and stuff, who are we to decide they should die? it's sinking to their level really.
Yes the prisons are a little more crowded maybe, but that's just something you have to deal with.
Life imprisonment is worse then the death penalty, but it's more humane, and no one has to pull a switch or push a button to kill someone.
And the really terrible ones, I think they often get put in high security insane wards not prisons anyway.

Trag

Bronze Member
I say put someone who's done a crime that's bad enough that it would warrant the death penalty in permanent isolation or something. Don't kill them, that's letting them off too easy.

Hollow Bastion

Crimson
Awards
I don't agree with its use, primarily because people have been known to be found innocent. That and it's usually an extreme form of "eye for an eye".

Random Queen

Queen of Crazy World
Crazy World. Population: Who gives a fuk?
I think that if it's a bad enough crime, they should do the death penalty. And honestly, it's not letting them off easy. The one thing most humans fear worst of all is death. Plus, if they deserve it like those people in 3 guys 1 hammer or whatever the heck it was called, then they should get.

The death penalty should be used very rarely. If it's used all the time then that's not right, and it's abusing the right to have the death penalty. That's all I have on the matter really...

Trag

Bronze Member
You don't fear death the most.
There are things that will make you BEG for death. If you take a human beings life, you ought to be begging for the same fate, and you ought not be given it.

MomentoMori

Dead Technology
Website
mypage.na.square-enix.com
I agree with the death penalty, but to an extent; I think it should be used for the serial killers or others who have committed very heinous crimes along those lines, and only as a last resort.

Not that it matters, really; a lot of people die on death row after being on it for years and years.

The Conquerer

The Bloody Warrior
Awards
I'd say let them suffer. A lot of them have nothing to live for anyway. Some end up on suicide watch. Keeping them alive is actually more demoralizing.

Teiku 5

Something About, Baby, You and I...
Website
www.facebook.com
not only should the death penalty be kept but it needs to be enforced better and more quickly. there is no reason to have somebody sit in jail for 10+ years waiting for one particular day. its a waste of time, money, and space.

Johnny Stooge

Hawkguy
Awards
not only should the death penalty be kept but it needs to be enforced better and more quickly. there is no reason to have somebody sit in jail for 10+ years waiting for one particular day. its a waste of time, money, and space.
This would be fine if the US employed the use of absolute justice and it was perfectly acceptable for innocents to die.

Murder is murder, state-sanctioned or not.
Not really. In legal terms, murder is the unlawful killing of someone. State-sanctioned execution would be the lawful killing of someone. Same goes for soldiers and police officers where justified - they're not unlawfully killing someone, therefore it's not murder.

I still disagree with the practice of execution though. If just one innocent person were to be executed, then the legal system will still have failed everyone.

Dogenzaka

PLATINUM USERNAME WINS
Awards
Killing is easy once you forget the taste of sugar
Not really. In legal terms, murder is the unlawful killing of someone. State-sanctioned execution would be the lawful killing of someone. Same goes for soldiers and police officers where justified - they're not unlawfully killing someone, therefore it's not murder.

Yeah, pretty much.

The problem is that innocent people are executed sometimes because of a "whoops" on the law's part...but oh well

Wehrmacht

cameo lover
Awards
The whole point of the incarceration system is to help people back into society. "Capital punishment" is not a punishment because the person is not going to learn anything from it.

Also, for the record, maintaining the death penalty is more expensive than life incarceration.

krexia

Translator
Awards
The biggest issue with the death penalty, for me, is that the system will never be infallible, therefore the state will inevitably execute innocents, and I can't abide that.

But I also believe that the whole idea is categorically wrong. I don't believe in vengeance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back