• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Dengeki: Nomura discusses OST, MOM, Kingdom Hearts going on break

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
I think it's good that the series is going on a break for a while. It's been on a roll since 2017 where we started to actually see KH3 become a reality with the trailers. They've given us enough to chew on regarding Phase 2 for a year and as much as I love the series, I was starting to feel overwhelmed. I thought after ReMIND came out, I would have a chance to replay all the games with the story set for a while, but then Dark Road and MoM were announced so it was more story to keep up with.

Also, I think Nomura deserves a little break from KH. Especially after KH3 was released and the vitriol dumped on him for almost 2 years. He should take a year off and just personally celebrate that he created this multi-game/multi-decade spanning franchise. I don't think there's many people in the video game industry that can say they helmed a franchise for its entirety - a franchise that had one consistent plot.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
It would be nice if they got some time off, but they're just taking a break from giving updates and announcements for the games. They're working hard on the next titles, and will continue to do so throughout 2021; they just won't talk about it until 2022.

Nomura seems like a work-a-holic, especially with FFVIIR2 under his belt, so I don't think he'll be taking any substantial time off soon.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
Also, I think Nomura deserves a little break from KH. Especially after KH3 was released and the vitriol dumped on him for almost 2 years. He should take a year off and just personally celebrate that he created this multi-game/multi-decade spanning franchise. I don't think there's many people in the video game industry that can say they helmed a franchise for its entirety - a franchise that had one consistent plot.
Nomura doesn't give two shits what people on the internet say, and he's gotten far worse from the FF fanbase.

He also uh... isn't taking this time off. They won't be sharing any news but the work continues behind the scenes. He's still writing new stories and contributing to the 2 mystery KH games still in development, as well as the ongoing UXDR.

KH is his baby. Prior to the Versus debacle, he was entirely prepared to leave FF behind and only contribute character designs/artwork while he focuses on KH full time. This series isn't just another responsibility to him.

SuperSaiyanSora

Awards
Nomura doesn't give two shits what people on the internet say, and he's gotten far worse from the FF fanbase.

He also uh... isn't taking this time off. They won't be sharing any news but the work continues behind the scenes. He's still writing new stories and contributing to the 2 mystery KH games still in development, as well as the ongoing UXDR.

KH is his baby. Prior to the Versus debacle, he was entirely prepared to leave FF behind and only contribute character designs/artwork while he focuses on KH full time. This series isn't just another responsibility to him.

Yeah, I doubt Nomura at the core of it cares honestly, because more people love what he's done than the people that don't. Loud minority, but if people really thought the games he made were terrible, KH3, ReMind, MoM (might be too early to tell though, plus, rhythm game lmao) and FF7R Part 1 would all be flops. The sales are nice, the reviews are high and most fans love the games, so that's really all that matters.

People also should remember that 7R Part 2 is in full development, so he's going to be involved with that as well. And there's the TWEWY anime and whatever else that countdown is going to end up being. That's not even tossing in the potential Disney Plus series that may or may not exist, because you know he's gonna be involved with that in some way. So he's definitely not taking a break next year.

Nomura's one of those guys that has the work-ethic that allows him to be as busy as he is. When you're that passionate about what you do, it happens, so he might be the kind of person that's not comfortable with doing nothing for too long. It's admirable, but I do hope the guy takes the rest he needs when he gets the chance to.

Violet Pluto

Awards
Tabata is gone so perhaps PE has hope now.
Sadly that isn't the problem that I see. If they do make a new one, they will probably either:
Reboot (which isn't my preferred) or ignore TB (Best case).
Third birthday is such a stain to them that SE has basically done all they can to make sure no one can see the ending without jumping through massive hoops. Hopefully they will ignore their misgivings and do something good with the series again.

Back