• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Film ► Descendants 2 - "Basically baby villains x2"

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruran

Flesh by mother, soul by father
Awards
Re: Descendants - "Basically baby villains"

It just finished, and yeah, it's 34635626% ham and cheese, but it's aware of that fact and doesn't try to hide it, lol. It's not very good imo, but whether or not you'll like it depends on how much camp you're into. It's not my cup of tea, but I can see how others might enjoy it. If you're the kind of person who eats up movies that are pure ham and cheese through and through, this is right up your alley.

If you're looking for well developed characters, a tightly written plot, and are expecting the cameos from known Disney characters (especially the villains) to be given all the justice, you might want to avoid this at all costs.

BufferAqua

Bronze Member
Awards

It just finished, and yeah, it's 34635626% ham and cheese, but it's aware of that fact and doesn't try to hide it, lol. It's not very good imo, but whether or not you'll like it depends on how much camp you're into. It's not my cup of tea, but I can see how others might enjoy it. If you're the kind of person who eats up movies that are pure ham and cheese through and through, this is right up your alley.

If you're looking for well developed characters, a tightly written plot, and are expecting the cameos from known Disney characters (especially the villains) to be given all the justice, you might want to avoid this at all costs.
Yeah, not to mention major casting issues. Oh well, it's a masterpiece compared to Teen Beach Movie (No offense, Teen beach movie fans!)

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards

I tried my best, but I just gave up in despair after ten minutes in. Just not worth it

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

Wow this moment with Maleficent and Mal in the museum could have been really good but these songs are awful haha

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

Okay, I think I'm halfway through it? It has some very solid moments, but is overall really weird. If the film could have been Evie and the nerdy guy and if Mal didn't use magic on Ben to make him fall in love when he was already really into her, it could be less...frustrating to watch. I guess I'll see what happens.

Edit: THEY ARE FLASHING BACK TO MOMENTS NOT EVEN 5 MINUTES AGO. WHAT.

Last edited:

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards

I can't believe the thing that brought everyone together on KHI was this movie.

BufferAqua

Bronze Member
Awards

He still has his beast side, I guess.

Awards

Despite being "the picture of good" as described by the prince. Imagine if they were dealing with Gaston's kid instead of villains largely unrelated to his story. "No one seduces crown princes and steals magic wands like Gaston Jr.~"

Ruran

Flesh by mother, soul by father
Awards

*Maleficent touching Jay inappropriately*

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

So...that was a movie. I enjoyed parts, I disliked parts. If they could get a better script, I think it could have a better sequel. Maybe some better music. Less Kristin Chenoweth...I was hoping she'd be the stronger part of the film but she ended up being the weakest part.

Despite being "the picture of good" as described by the prince. Imagine if they were dealing with Gaston's kid instead of villains largely unrelated to his story. "No one seduces crown princes and steals magic wands like Gaston Jr.~"

Please, I think I need this in the sequel.

*Maleficent touching Jay inappropriately*

i cried

Nazo

Hope Remains
Awards

Despite knowing that it would be bad, I decided to give it a shot for a number of reasons.

1. Dove Cameron
2. I can remember seeing previews for DCOM's as a kid and thinking they'd be awful, and a lot of them turned out better than I expected them to be. I thought I'd give this one a chance as well.
3. Genuine curiosity. If it was good, genuine surprise and unexpected entertainment. If bad, lots of cringing and laughter and pointing out where things could have been improved
4. Dove Cameron

Overall, I'd give the movie a 6/10

It was, to my surprise, better than I was expecting. It wasn't great, but I was expecting it to be pretty awful and it wasn't. Cliche? Hell yes. Poorly written? diddly yes. Lame songs? You betcha. But, it actually had some decent moments that I thought were well done.

I thought the character development was pretty bad. Right from the very beginning, you don't buy the premise of the movie. What I mean by that is that the kids come from evil villains, so therefore the kids should be evil too. But they do an awful job at showing that the kids come from truly evil parents. Now, I get that this is Disney Channel so their version of "bad" is toned down, but I mean c'mon, they could've ramped it up a little bit more than they did. None of the villains felt like their original selves at all. And therefore, you don't buy that these are kids who know nothing other than being evil.

Maleficent was awful, perhaps the worst part of the entire movie. Jafar and Cruella were barely even in the movie and when they were, they sucked bad. The Evil Queen was alright, but all four of them sucked big time. Likewise, the pressure on their kids to be evil didn't feel genuine because I wasn't seeing the evil from them. The parents are kind of rude, sure, but evil? Not really. Aside from Maleficent forcing her will onto Mal with that hypnosis thing I never once felt like "Wow, what a truly terrible parent that character has".

The advertising for this movie didn't even TRY to hide the fact that there'd be a bad romance subplot, and yeah, it was in there. Not as bad as expected, but it really didn't make much sense. I mean if you go back and analyze it, it's really almost laughable. But Disney is so freaking good at doing that thing where the characters have virtually no actual connection with each other and yet still manage to make you think their romance makes sense. Disney magic at its finest, I tell ya. Seriously though one thing I did NOT buy was when they tried to do that flashback montage that they do in movies to show you "all they've been through" and they were flashing back to literally 2 minutes prior to their first date as if it were fond memory. That just shows you how far they had to dig to try to feed you the romantic subplot.

The main strength of the movie was Mal though. Dove is a pretty talented actress, at least for a Disney star. I have seen Liv & Maddie on DC before, and her acting skills impressed me. Nothing Oscar worthy, obviously, but she's leagues above all the other over acting dweebs they hire for their dumb shows these days. So, all in all, Dove Cameron was where the vast majority of this movie's quality came from, I felt. When there was quality to speak of, that is. The movie was about 5% surprisingly good moments, 85% what you'd expect, and 10% cringing.

Given the ending, they're clearly trying to leave it open for a sequel. And the surprising thing is that I would actually watch any potential sequel. That was how I knew the movie wasn't terrible, was when I realized A) I would actually be okay watching the movie multiple times and B) not be opposed to another one. Which is weird, coming from a 21 year old male who loathes Disney Channel.

One final thing though. The songs were terrible. I can't believe this movie came from the same guy who did High School Musical. Not a single song in this movie was memorable or even a little bit good. The only memorable song was Rotten to the Core, and it only sticks in my mind because it's so terrible and lazily written and dumb.

U.N. Owen

Awards

This is probably the worst movie I've ever seen on Disney Channel.

1) The villains are a joke.
2) Really? Slums are breeding grounds for evil rather than the poor, really?
3) High school cliches, nuff said.
4) Queen Leah was probably the best part if she didn't think Mal was Maleficent
5) Mal and Evie are the worst names of the bunch. Jay can be short for Jayden which a real person would name their child. Same thing with Carlos.
6) Jane was probably the only good character. Her insecurities here exploited and when she finally got what she want, Mal took it away for being a jerk. She wanted to keep it so she tried to use magic and accidentally released Maleficent.

Overall, it was bad, but there were good parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back