• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Devil's Advocacy

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

KrytenKoro

Bronze Member
Over the time period I have been here, it has become somewhat easy to predict how everyone, especially me, will argue for a certain topic. Therefore, I propose that we, as a "community", pick a certain topic (you can choose one here), and try to argue as persuasively as we can for the other side.

Ex. If you are pro-choice, arguing about abortion, you would NOT argue "Teh Bibel shays we not llowed kill Baby, so I accept without qualy-fication. Dur". You would apply your usual level of intelligence to finding any reason you could to argue for the other side. Needless to say, you may not find much, if anything, to persuasively argue against yourself. But it would be fun at least if we can try for a little while.

Or like what I've been doing with evolution this whole time - I believe that it happened, yet I relentlessly attack my belief.

If and when we do make such a thread, it should be named DA: topic name, so that people know to argue against themselves.

The Big Lovin'

Everyone's Favorite Uncle Ji-Chan
I like it. Arguing for the other side of the battle field. I'm up for it.

KrytenKoro

Bronze Member
Well, do you have a topic in mind?

I got one - Is humanity really worth it? You know, preventing global warming, creating vaccines and stuff?
I very badly despise our species, so I will try to argue pro-humanity, if this topic is chosen.

Last edited:

The Big Lovin'

Everyone's Favorite Uncle Ji-Chan
I like the idea. I think humanity is its own enemy, yet, I think humanity is great.

KrytenKoro

Bronze Member
Nah, this thread and its thesis sucks. There's always someone in a thread with an ardor to antagonize; your formality is a dud.
I did not claim that there was not someone who would examine his own views and try to test them - I claimed that there was a profound and disturbing lack of that as a duty for ALL of the posters, and that many refuse to examine or even allow edits to their cemented beliefs.

As for calling it an ardor to antagonize - this is intelligent discussion. It's worthless to post here just to massage your ego or try to brown-nose others. It's supposed to be a place to examine your own and others' viewpoints.

mz. eggsy

http://j.mp/jIANdM
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
I did not claim that there was not someone who would examine his own views and try to test them - I claimed that there was a profound and disturbing lack of that as a duty for ALL of the posters, and that many refuse to examine or even allow edits to their cemented beliefs. As for calling it an ardor to antagonize - this is intelligent discussion. It's worthless to post here just to massage your ego or try to brown-nose others. It's supposed to be a place to examine your own and others' viewpoints.
O RLY?

On another note: "Devil's Advocate" and "Zealous Antagonist" are practically the same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back