• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

did anybody else... hate Aqua?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

lilVon

live, laugh, lobotomy
Awards
lets see how fast i get flammed by the Aqua fanboys lol:

Anyway from watching the Jap BBS trailers i fell in love with Aqua (and her Jap VA)I thought that she was a beautiful person, untill i actual played the game & realized how flat her personality is. She stops believing in Terra after hering Malifecient bad mouth him. & her English VA did such a horrible job, she hardly gave Aqua any emotion throughout the whole game (notable exceptions are the scene wher Zack asks her out, & the end of the game) Also unlike the others Aqua never really grows as a person. The only seriouse conflict with her was believing in Terra, thats it. So did Aqua break anybody elses heart, or am i the only one crying over hear?

Captain Garlock

Did I ever tell you I love red?
wow.
Her role was deep man I guess her voice killed it for you.
She holds them together shes why KH1 happened somewhat...wow..

Beyer

I am not the biggest fan of Aqua's english VA either but I still adore her as a character.
I don't want to sound like a fanboy relentlessly defending my subject of fanboyism, which is true somewhat, I think she was made as a character that doesn't have massive levels on internal conflict. Someone who is in control of herself, but puts herself in danger for her friends who aren't so in control/ are struggling with conflicts.
Having all of TAV with conflicts would have been angst overload probably.

But eh, each to their own.

Sacred X

Freshmeat
Funny. I picked up the game dreading Aqua, believing she'd be my least favorite in all scenarios. I know there were a lot of fanboys out there happy to play as a pair of boobs, but I cared a lot more about character skill and personality, which she obviously didn't have.

...Until I played the game and was proven dead wrong. She's my favorite character in all areas, which is still a bit of a shock to me. Unlike most Aqua fans, I'm happy she didn't sound all glittery and cheerful like her Japanese VA counterpart seems to be, and seems to be a bit more realistic overall.

Smile

Codename: D
Awards
Website
www.fanfiction.net
:D
I like the thread starter.
A lot of what you wrote rings true with things I found as overall flaws in the game, being mostly pacing and ordering of the worlds. I'm not holding my breath for her, truth be told.
*goes back to her hell-hole*

Theart

Hyped Ruler of Honnouji Academy
Awards
I too enjoyed Willa Holland's performance. She wasn't great, but she did a good job (and overall, a better one than Jason Dohring did as Terra, IMHO) and I'm sure she'll be better at voicing Aqua, come next game.

And flat personality? Pfft. I'm sorry but you just proved your own case wrong; Aqua's one of the most dynamic characters in the series, BECAUSE she has flaws (seriously, she's not a Mary Sue like Kairi or Xion)! Aqua makes mistakes time from time, but that's part of her charm. She's honestly one of the best written and developed characters in the series as a direct result of NOT being a perfect in every little way Mary Sue.

Basically; she's the most human in personality as far as the girls go, and maybe even the most human of the whole lot of characters.

Allister Rose

French Lover
i bet there are quite a number of members here expecting me to reply and agree with you because i do.

i believe 33% of her voice is what makes aqua her. the japanese voice was almost a 10, to how it's quality went done drastically was unimaginable IMO. they pretty much changed her personality with her voice, and yes i believe voice makes up alot.

*33% voice acting
*33% body acting (this goes along side VA and depending on the movements with the voice would either compliment or make the voice look bad)
*33% actions when she isn't talking. (such as cutscenes and stuff).
if the voice does a poor job, you won't be able to depict the character the way they intended and the movements won't match up to how the person is saying. japanese aqua i still love her, and english aqua was far too different and with poor job of VA made me almost hate her, but the only thing isn't stopping me from hating her completely is that the japanese is the original. IMO she had no strength in her voice and barely any seriousness. there wasn't any variety with her. her ending was decent, but still it looks like she has long ways to go in order to at least be up to the level of hayley joel osmon.

EDIT:i often see a sense in denial with some of th positive comments with other users, they don't sound like they're very convincing, they're more like saying "she did an ok job, so at least it wasn't bad".

HeartSeams

is back?
Awards
I'm in the middle of her scenario now and I like her well enough. I didn't used to like her VA when i heard it in trailers and things like that, but its grown on me since. I can't safely judge her as a character yet though as i havent finished her story.

Unknownkidz

I fell in love with her japanese voice - she was able to act nice and sweet, but also serious and deep when she had to.
The voice for the English version suits her, but still needs to be polished if she wants me to believe all her lines. All in all, she's alright, but I wouldn't hate her character because of the voice. But yeah, maybe that's because I've played the japanese version of her :/

Ikkin

Bronze Member
lets see how fast i get flammed by the Aqua fanboys lol:

Anyway from watching the Jap BBS trailers i fell in love with Aqua (and her Jap VA)I thought that she was a beautiful person, untill i actual played the game & realized how flat her personality is. She stops believing in Terra after hering Malifecient bad mouth him. & her English VA did such a horrible job, she hardly gave Aqua any emotion throughout the whole game (notable exceptions are the scene wher Zack asks her out, & the end of the game) Also unlike the others Aqua never really grows as a person. The only seriouse conflict with her was believing in Terra, thats it. So did Aqua break anybody elses heart, or am i the only one crying over hear?

Sounds like you mostly just missed most of the things that make Aqua interesting. It's kind of a shame.

Aqua doesn't stop believing in Terra just because of what Maleficent said, any more than Ven does. She decides to confront him about it, and messes it up horribly, but that doesn't mean she gave up on him - keeping him on the right path is something she feels duty-bound to do, as a Keyblade Master as well as a friend. And, after that, she's as afraid that she drove him away because of that as she is that he's falling to the darkness, culminating in her scene at Destiny Islands where she decides not to give Sora a Keyblade because she thinks that kind of responsibility is bound to cause pain in any friendship. By the time she meets Terra again at the Keyblade Graveyard, she takes a much different approach to getting the truth, even though the rumor she'd just heard is far worse.

Aqua's character growth is a bit more subtle than Terra and Ven's, but it's definitely still there. =/

LadyScythe

in a chair wrapped in thee most comfy blanket ever
Website
www.youtube.com
Sounds like you mostly just missed most of the things that make Aqua interesting. It's kind of a shame.

Aqua doesn't stop believing in Terra just because of what Maleficent said, any more than Ven does. She decides to confront him about it, and messes it up horribly, but that doesn't mean she gave up on him - keeping him on the right path is something she feels duty-bound to do, as a Keyblade Master as well as a friend. And, after that, she's as afraid that she drove him away because of that as she is that he's falling to the darkness, culminating in her scene at Destiny Islands where she decides not to give Sora a Keyblade because she thinks that kind of responsibility is bound to cause pain in any friendship. By the time she meets Terra again at the Keyblade Graveyard, she takes a much different approach to getting the truth, even though the rumor she'd just heard is far worse.

Aqua's character growth is a bit more subtle than Terra and Ven's, but it's definitely still there. =/

Ikkin, I pretty much agree with you. but lets not forget when Aqua was at Oylumpus Colisuem and Deep Space and how she learned of Terra helping out Zack and how Terra's wayfinder charm influenced Stitch.

XIII Heartless

Head Mom In Charge
Awards
Website
profile.myspace.com
I went into the game hating her, and even began her scenario like "God, here we go...". But by the end of her story and definitely by the time The Final Episode is complete, I loved her. She was what held them all together. As for her "not believing in Terra after Maleficent", IDK where you got that idea. She frequently says things like "No, he'd never!" and defends him. That whole speech in Radiant Garden was just her being protective.

The only minus for Aqua was her VA, and even she improved by the very end. Here's to hoping that carries over when we see her again (probably in KHIII).

lilVon

live, laugh, lobotomy
Awards
I too enjoyed Willa Holland's performance. She wasn't great, but she did a good job (and overall, a better one than Jason Dohring did as Terra, IMHO) and I'm sure she'll be better at voicing Aqua, come next game.

And flat personality? Pfft. I'm sorry but you just proved your own case wrong; Aqua's one of the most dynamic characters in the series, BECAUSE she has flaws (seriously, she's not a Mary Sue like Kairi or Xion)! Aqua makes mistakes time from time, but that's part of her charm. She's honestly one of the best written and developed characters in the series as a direct result of NOT being a perfect in every little way Mary Sue.

Basically; she's the most human in personality as far as the girls go, and maybe even the most human of the whole lot of characters.

Where the fuck does Aqua go astray she is absolutly perfect, she does everything her master told her with out straying, she never doubted herself or made any mistakes (other than not beliving in Terra) The point that killed it for me was when she fought Hades & the ice titan. Zack was gonna jump in & help her out (at which i was like"hell yeah this is gonna be awsome") but she does the prim & proper thing & instead of letting Zack jelp she tells him to get the fuck back (im obviously paraphrasing here) Then she wouldn t even go out with him!

Aqua most definatly stops beleiving in Terra. Why do you think every time Aqua is given proof of Terra not falling to darkness she has to verbalize it. ITS BECAUSE SHE CANT FUCKING BELIEVE IT. Oh & heres a quote from thhe blue haired heroine (to Terra) "what else is darkness but hatred and rage, you'll go astray agian, how is that honoring our master Terra?" SHE DOSE NOT BELIVE IN HIM WHAT SO EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!1

More Aqua hate: dont get me started on the way she treats Ventus, he acts like he's an annoying kid brother who cant take care of himself, she dosnt realize that he's more than capable of doing so. also shes weak as fuck.

HeartSeams

is back?
Awards
I found Ven a whole of a lot weaker than Aqua, personally.
I find it ironic though that you think Aqua was just "perfect" and that's a reason to hate her when you're the member of a Xion FanClub.

Last edited:

lilVon

live, laugh, lobotomy
Awards
I found Ven a whole of a lot weaker than Ven, personally.
I find it ironic though that you think Aqua was just "perfect" and that's a reason to hate her when you're the member of a Xion FanClub.

Sorry this is just my opinion but neither Xion nor Kairi (not defending Kairi just Xion) were perfect in anyway, for the 1st couple of weeks Xion was completly devoid of emotion, she for a shot time couldnt even wield the keyblade, she had to struggle with the decision to return to Sora, or continue living as herself, hell she even turned on Roxas in the end, so Xion in my opinon had more thought put into her character than Aqua, & you sir insult me & my fellow club members by comparing the 2!

HeartSeams

is back?
Awards
Xion was completly devoid of emotion
I don't see how this is related.

she for a shot time couldnt even wield the keyblade
Which gave her a fun "woe-is-me" and "come-save-me-roxas-otherwise-im-worthless-and-we-can-cry-about-how-mean-saix-is" development arcs. Groundbreaking.

she had to struggle with the decision to return to Sora, or continue living as herself
And you know what this equated to? Her sitting on her bed and moping for half the game. Aqua had to struggled with decisions too but at least she actually went out and did something about it. Xion did nothing. But weep. And Moan. And then she left with Riku, only for the novels to reveal that all she did was... you guessed it: weep and moan, just in a new bed this time. Riveting.

you sir insult me & my fellow club members by comparing the 2!
you're a member of the Xion Fanclub, you practically insult yourselves and your own integrity.

LadyScythe

in a chair wrapped in thee most comfy blanket ever
Website
www.youtube.com
Aqua is not perfect!

as for Aqua taking on Hades and the ice titan, it can be interpeterd as Aqua mostly avenging Terra. seeing how Hades tempted Terra with it and then his refusal of it. Hades calling Terra, weak.

...seroiusly...because she didnt go out with Zack.....SHE JUST MET HIM! and barely knows him and she was in the middle of a mission.

and She NEVER stops believing in him, "Terra, you better stay strong for me" right AFTER her final encounter with Maleficent. it's not like with Ven who automaticly believed in everything Vanitas and Maleficent said, again it was Aqua who had to remind him, that Terra wasnt leaving and that he wouldnt do such horrid things.

and as for the keyblade graveyard, you forgot "Xehanort, keeps adding the flames" basically if Xehanort keeps egging you on like this, your going to do just what he wants you to do. That's what Aqua was trying to tell him, she was even more worried for him after he meeting with Yensid.

Awards
I found Ven a whole of a lot weaker than Ven, personally.

Oh snap! burnnn! Someone get the fire department!

lol but really I don't see how you think she gave up on Terra, It's obvious she only wants the best for him and Ven, the only reason she had any sense of doubt was because she was worried about him, and for good reason look what happened to him!. Speaking of Ven she treats him like a child because well... for one he IS, and second she is trying to protect him as if she's an older sister.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back