• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

did anybody else... hate Aqua?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Theart

Hyped Ruler of Honnouji Academy
Awards
With the voice type they went for Aqua, They should have chosen some one like Lara Bailey. and what's works has Kari done?

She was Lady in Devil May Cry 3 and Devil May Cry 4. That was the voice that stood out for me that would work for Aqua, if Kari made it sound a tad bit younger. Though Lara Bailey would've been awesome as well. <3

Unknownkidz

I haven't finished Aqua's story yet, but I like her so far. Tbh, she reminds me of Hermione from the Harry Potter series a little bit, because she's the one that has to keep the boys in line and make sure they follow the rules, which they hate. I don't get the impression that she's trying to give Terra and Ven a hard time; she's just looking out for their well-being and she thinks that what they're doing will get them killed or worse. I honestly felt sorry for her during that scene in Radiant Garden, when she tries to tell them to stop what they're doing, but then they yell at her and just leave her standing there all alone. Constructive criticism: everybody needs it; nobody wants it. Poor Aqua.

^this

You just have to jump into her shoes and imagine you have to do the stuff Aqua's been through. You don't want your friends getting hurt, no?

Sempied

lets see how fast i get flammed by the Aqua fanboys lol:
Food for thought don't try to open up with such a flamebait line. Okay?^^

She stops believing in Terra after hering Malifecient bad mouth him. & ,her English VA did such a horrible job she hardly gave Aqua any emotion throughout the whole game (notable exceptions are the scene wher Zack asks her out, & the end of the game) Also unlike the others Aqua never really grows as a person. The only seriouse conflict with her was believing in Terra, thats it. So did Aqua break anybody elses heart, or am i the only one crying over hear?
You seem to have skipped the part where she was told to bring Ven home, and she never stopped: She was cautious, and just sad at the aspect.

And you seem to be projecting your opinion of Willa/Aqua VA larger than it should. One mans preference doesn't equal a major. For instance I could say that I would have preferred Kari Wahlgren more over Willa any day, but I don't go to such high lengths as such.

EDIT: After seeing your other posts in this I can't believe I took that seriously now.

Last edited:

fantasy08

I'm a member of the the Aqua fanclub(joined doing the japanese release) so no I don't hate Aqua,but I will admit that I agree with a lot of what you said. I find Aqua's personality, and her story overall, to be boring. I kind of thought that for her japanse self as well,but her voice actress there was so good at bringing emotion to Aqua that I ignored my gripes. I can't do that now.

Firstly Aqua has no character development in my opinion. I know some say it was subtle,but where they saw subtle I saw nonexistent. Aqua's personality is pretty static basically. That's not necessarily a bad thing though. The org, for example, are pretty much filled with static characters. Yet they are much loved in the fandom. That's because most of their personalities, static as they may be, were engaging enough for their lack of character development to not be much of an issue. Would development be nice? Sure. It's always nice. However,if your personality, whether a villain or protagonist, is strong enough development is not necessarily needed.

Aqua on the other hand needed character development because her personality as is was not engaging enough for her not to be boring. Then mix her stale personality with an overall emotionless voice actress, plus a mehly executed story,and you have a very lacking character.

I also felt no emotional attachment to Aqua. Or Terra, Ven, and BBS, in general for the matter.The emotional scenes just weren't executed well. I liked her in the generic ' she's a good guy so of course I like her' way,but that's sadly the crux of it. Truthfully, and sadly, I only still call myself a fan because of superficial reasons. For example I still have a fondness for how well her japanese voice actress could bring emotion to her. I also like that's she's a badass.Plus I love her hair color and outfit. However, the things I wish I could like her for such as development,emotional investment, an entertaining personality, I can't because she has neither in my opinion.

I suppose if I had to say I felt something ,even a little bit, for one of them it would be Ven. He had more emotional facial expressions,and a more emotional voice and personality. For example I felt for him a bit when he was begging MX to not make him fight in that flashback, and when he was deteriorating into light after his fight with Van then his heart floated away. Plus his small thank-you to little Sora as he went into him for the last time was a bit pitying. Any feelings I had on those scenes were very small and fleeting,but it was something. As for Terra it was a bit sad seeing him walking in the secret ending with Braig, and just so clueless to the evil that's going to befall him. For Aqua. Nothing. I can look at them, and the BBS story in general, and think from a technical standpoint that what befell them was pretty bad. However, do I actually feel emotion with that thought? No.

I know I've probably opened up a can of worms with this(puts up flame shield the size of a planet lol),but if I can't be brutally honest about who I call myself a fan to then I don't deserve to call myself one. :)

Last edited:

Ulti

hurr hurr hurr
Awards
Huh, I must have imagined the part where Aqua never gave up on Terra, repeating over and over that he is stronger. From your comments, I have a strong feeling you didn't pay attention to any cutscenes.

Jakek9

I personally disagree, and this sounds more stubborn and picky then anything, but opinion is in fact opinion so if thats what you see, thats what you see.

I felt for all the characters, though less on Terra and more on Ventus with Aqua being second.

The only thing I'll give ya the whole Org. thing.

Last edited:

Marly

All right, don't have a crap attack
Awards
The idea that Aqua gave up on Terra is absurd. If she had given up on Terra, then her sacrificing herself for him seems quite contradictory to that.

lilVon

live, laugh, lobotomy
Awards
First off, YES that takes away your validity of any argument (which didn't have much validity at all to begin with). On a second note, I thought you said Xion was devoid of emotions? ... Oh wait a second, you DID say that Xion was devoid of emotions! =/

CONTRADICTION!

And as for this...

Aqua had a heck of a lot more conflicts than just that. =/ I'm sorry, but I get the feeling you really don't know what you're talking about.

for the 1st couple of weeks Xion was completly devoid of emotionQUOTE]

You must want me to flame the shit out of you?! dont take my words out of context to prove your point just because you are incapable of coming up with a solid argument of your own. NO CONTRODICTIONS!!!!! invalid point is invalid!!!!

matter of fact, where the hell is your argument? Yeah i may not have finished the game, but i did my homework & ive given you point after point & plenty of examples of Xions struggles, please tell me all of Aquas struggles, trials, and Tribulations, oh yeah thats right she dosnt have any until the end of the game. Now run & tell that homeboy!

Huh, I must have imagined the part where Aqua never gave up on Terra, repeating over and over that he is stronger. From your comments, I have a strong feeling you didn't pay attention to any cutscenes.

the only reason she continues to verbalize it is because she cant fcuking believe it. Everytime She thinks Terra has fallen off the right path he proves her wrong, until the end of the game when Xehanort takes his heart. AND BEFORE THE FINAL BATTLES AQUA CLEARLY STATES THAT TERRA WILL FALL TO DARKNESS!!!!! Or did i just imagine that? I have a feeling you didnt pay attention to that cutscene!

Last edited:

Jesus

Hater-bending
Awards
Listen, I'm pretty sure that Aqua FUCKING SACRIFICING herself to the Realm of Darkness meant that she still believed that he would turn out alright

lilVon

live, laugh, lobotomy
Awards
I'm a member of the the Aqua fanclub(joined doing the japanese release) so no I don't hate Aqua,but I will admit that I agree with a lot of what you said. I find Aqua's personality and her story overall to be boring. I kind of thought that for her japanse self as well,but her voice actress there was so good at bringing emotion to Aqua that I ignored my gripes. I can't do that now.

Firstly Aqua has no character development in my opinion. I know some say it was subtle,but where they saw subtle I saw nonexistent. Aqua's personality is pretty static basically. That's not necessarily a bad thing though. The org, for example, are pretty much filled with static characters. Yet they are much loved in the fandom. That's because most of their personalities, static as they may be, were engaging enough for their lack of character development to not be much of an issue. Would development be nice? Sure. It's always nice. However,if your personality, whether a villain or protagonist, is strong enough development is not necessarily needed.

Aqua on the other hand needed character development because her personality as is was not engaging enough for her not to be boring. Then mix her stale personality with an overall emotionless voice actress, plus mehly executed story,and you have a very lacking character.

I also felt no emotional attachment to Aqua. Or Terra, Ven, and BBS, in general for the matter.The emotional scenes just weren't executed well. I liked her in the generic ' she's a good guy so of course I like her' way,but that's sadly the crux of it. Truthfully, and sadly, I only still call myself a fan because of superficial reasons. For example I still have a fondness for how well her japanese voice actress could bring emotion to her. I also like that's she's a badass.Plus I love her hair color and outfit. However, the things I wish I could like her for such as development,emotional investment, an entertaining personality, I can't because she has neither in my opinion.

I suppose if I had to say I felt something ,even a little bit, for one of them it would be Ven. He had more emotional facial expressions,and a more emotional voice and personality. For example I felt for him a bit when he was begging MX to not make him fight in that flashback, and when he was deteriorating into light after his fight with Van and his heart floated away. As well as his small thank-you to little Sora as he went into him for the last time. Any feeling I had on those scenes was very small and fleeting,but it was something. As for Terra I felt a little bit of emotion about seeing him walking in the secret ending with Braig, and just so clueless to the evil that's going to befall him. For Aqua. Nothing. I can look at them, and the BBS story in general, and know from a technical standpoint that what befell them was pretty bad,but as for actually feeling emotion with that thought. No.

I know I've probably opened up a can of worms with this(puts up flame shield the size of a planet lol),but if I can't be brutally honest about who I call myself a fan to then I don't deserve to call myself one. :)

I'm glad someone hear agrees with me, read my posts & were able to comprehend them, (it's a shame your part of the Xion critics club)

Theart

Awards
for the 1st couple of weeks Xion was completly devoid of emotion

You must want me to flame the shit out of you?! dont take my words out of context to prove your point just because you are incapable of coming uo with a solid argument of your own. NO CONTRODICTIONS!!!!! invalid point is invalid!!!!

matter of fact, where the hell is your argument? Yeah i may not have finished the game, but i did my homework & ive given you point after point & plenty of examples of Xions struggles, please tell me all of Aquas struggles, trials, and
Tribulations, ohg yeah thats right she dosnt have any util the end of the game. Now run & tell that homeboy!

*chuckles at the total flip-out*

Your argument is incredibly flawed, first off. Aqua never gave up on Terra and even threw herself into the RoD in hope that Terra would be saved (though she unknowingly set the chain of events that would lead into KH1) You assume Aqua didn't trust Terra at all, when in fact she DID trust him. Total trust? Not necessarily, but trust and hope that Terra would do the right thing was indeed present.

Aqua started off as a total teacher's pet. She was spying on Terra and trying to get Ven to go home, just because Master Eraqus told her to. That said, doing so put strains on her friendships with Terra and Ven, as shown by their brief reunion at Radiant Garden. Plus, while at Radiant Garden, she comes across a mysterious masked boy (Vanitas) that seems to be incredibly interested in Ven for some reason. The need to bring Ven home becomes a bit more personal and now she needs to make sure she gets rid of (or at least subdue) this mysterious masked boy. And soon enough, she finds out that Master Eraqus is dead and Terra had a hand in it! And yet, despite that she still tries to aid Terra and be the voice of reason to him, instead of dragging him and Ventus all the way back to Mysterious Tower to talk to Yen Sid (which in hindsight would've been the smarter thing to do). Friendship won out in the end, even if it brought about tragic results.

The thing about Aqua's scenario is that she developed from a teacher's pet into a woman truly deserving of the title "Keyblade Master", not because of sheer skill, but because of the amount of care she had for her friends.

Xion on the other hand? She cried and donkey-moaned through out Days, with a perfect personality and her "struggles" were only events that occurred. There wasn't any development from Xion at all.

Sorry bro, but that's game, set and match. =/

αsiя

space coke
Gameplay wise, yes. I know a lot of people will probably disagree but I didn't really like using Aqua as much as Terra or Ven.

Aqua herself, well.....it's not that I don't hate her or disliked her character but I never found her intriguing. I understand she left a big impact but the character herself doesn't intrigue me. But to be fair the other two don't either. Maybe Ven, but that's because he's like Sora and I like Sora as a character. That's just me.

Theart

Awards
Putting game set and match doesn't end the argument :/

lol I know, I know. ^_^ I just wanted to end it off on a cool catchphrase was all. =P

That said, if his argument was something along the lines of what asir posted, I'd totally understand. But it seems to me he has a misconception of Aqua and Xion, as well as BBS and Days in general. Could be wrong, but that's just the view I keep getting from his posts. xD

Awards
I thought Aqua was a great character who never gave up on her friends, and that whole "You'll go astray again" was pretty much the only time she ever had even the slightest dought about Terra.

I think you missed the point.
How come she kept saying, "There's no way Terra will do such and such"?
Because she needed to reassure herself.
Why did she need to reassure herself?
Because she had doubt.

She never gave up believing in him as a person, but she certainly lost the deluded belief that he wouldn't fall down the wrong path.

PrinnyGod

Awards
I think you missed the point.
How come she kept saying, "There's no way Terra will do such and such"?
Because she needed to reassure herself.
Why did she need to reassure herself?
Because she had doubt.

She never gave up believing in him as a person, but she certainly lost the deluded belief that he wouldn't fall down the wrong path.
Well, I DID think she realized Terra was going to use his darkness, but that he was only doing it to protect Ven

fantasy08

I'm glad someone hear agrees with me, read my posts & were able to comprehend them,
Thanks! :) However, in defense of the others it's not that they don't get what your saying. It's just that they simply don't agree with you, and are offering their rebuttals. Nothing wrong with that. Overall though I do still call myself an Aqua fan. Just not with as much candor as I once did.

(it's a shame your part of the Xion critics club)
Lol, If it's any consolation I was a Xion fan once, and because of that I don't totally dislike her. :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back