• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

did anybody else... hate Aqua?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Savage_Nymph

Are you kidding me? Aqua's awesome. And come on, am I the only one who actually LIKED Aqua's English VA?

I can assure you that you are not the only one. :)

Aqua's the most realistic female out of all of them, IMO. She's also a positive role model, unlike the damsels-in-distress of the series. I can identify with her strong personality and determination - and her ability to fight.

The thing about Aqua's scenario is that she developed from a teacher's pet into a woman truly deserving of the title "Keyblade Master", not because of sheer skill, but because of the amount of care she had for her friends.

Could not have put it better myself.

fireflame

I like Aqua. She sucks at first but after that and some training, she gets really awesome. When I hit Deep Space and especially neverland, Some abilities I got just made her even mre awesome. Plus her barrier trumps Vens and Terras Guard because its so complete.

O

Oberon

Her VA was pretty boring sure, she was still a great character regardless.

keybladealex

She had her pros and cons. She was good because she was caring and loyal to her friends. Her block was more effective than Terra and Ven's. Her voice actress was very dull and lacked emotion. It's as if she really didn't care. Willa seemed to care about her acting less than Alyson did for Xion (and I hated the VAing for Days, it was terrible. And besides the fact that the subtitles left things they said out).

Karn1254

Aqua is my favorite character in Birth by Sleep. Story wise I like how she's not some crazy alter ego of like five different people, she's not confusing she's just a normal person fighting for her friends. She's set in her ways and never really wavers, she's disciplined, and I liked that conflict in the story between doing her duty as a master and helping her friends. I also consider one of the most powerful keyblade wielders in the series, she fights both ice titan and Hades at the same time (that cutscene where she brushes off Zack is awesome) she apparantley has the ability to cast a spell on Kairi that made KH1 possible and she shattered the x-blade (I know it was technically incomplete at the time but still pretty impressive) not to mention she goes on living in the realm of darkness for a looooong time. I also just like her fighting style and the types of unique commands she gets (Ice Barrage is one of my favs) her being the nimble mage is just neato. Also I didn't really mind her voice actor, in fact I thought she did a kind of good job... though maybe its just that anyone is better than Terra's VA. Also I feel like no one can argue that she's the best female character in the series, she's a strong female character without being made overly masculine like someone like lightning in FF13, which I enjoy.

Thats my two cents, just thought I should spread some Aqua love =P

Sempied

When people say that Willa was "emotionless", or "a robot" I really wonder if they consider that Aqua isn't the typical video game, or tsundere character. Aqua is cautious, strong willed, a little stoic, cool, calm, and collected. The fruit speech, and some of her lines had awkward delivery. While I still rate her barely above Alyson I do believe that like Jason - Terra, that Willa - Aqua was more to her character, and personality.

Aqua isn't a cute bimbo heroine who needs to be the sidekick, she is a keyblade master, and is much more subtle than some believe to be.

Ikkin

Bronze Member
Also I feel like no one can argue that she's the best female character in the series, she's a strong female character without being made overly masculine like someone like lightning in FF13, which I enjoy.

I really love what they did with the interplay between Aqua's femininity and her strength because they went a lot farther than simply giving her girly traits to keep her from seeming overly masculine.

Her two biggest feminine traits, I'd say, are gracefulness and creativity... which she embraces wholeheartedly, then channels to make herself a more effective fighter. They're things she uses as a source of her strength, rather than flaws that weaken her.

Then, she's got another set of traits that could be seen as feminine, but have alternate connotations that are much more pertinent to Aqua in particular. She's bound by her duties and her Keyblade summoning involves cherry blossoms, but those traits evoke the image of a samurai as much as, if not more than, the image of a woman. And, likewise, she's empathetic, sentimental, and shows great concern for her friends, but in the context of Kingdom Hearts those traits are preferable for everyone regardless of gender.

And, to complicate things further, she's got a third set of traits that are either not feminine, or just show a lack of adherence to typical gender roles. She's chivalrous, practical, has a great deal of control over her emotions, and appears to be entirely unconcerned about maintaining a perfect appearance. She may be attractive, but she's much more likely to project an image of ferocity or inner strength than of beauty, and she's not afraid to move in ways that seem a bit masculine if it makes more sense (for example, the way she carries Kairi under one arm to run).

She's one of the few characters I've seen who manages to completely avoid the double-bind of either being too masculine or too stereotypical, and for that, she's awesome. ^_^

Fallen Prince

I liked her fighting style, I sucked with her at first, but now I want nothing more than TAV to ALL have Ghost Drive ^.^

Allister Rose

French Lover
im not too fond of ikkin's their less constuctive and more fan seasoning. but it's hi sopinion not mine. anyways, we should let this die now. the one who started this thread already changed his opinion

Gram

Banned
Awards
I really love what they did with the interplay between Aqua's femininity and her strength because they went a lot farther than simply giving her girly traits to keep her from seeming overly masculine.

Her two biggest feminine traits, I'd say, are gracefulness and creativity... which she embraces wholeheartedly, then channels to make herself a more effective fighter. They're things she uses as a source of her strength, rather than flaws that weaken her.

Then, she's got another set of traits that could be seen as feminine, but have alternate connotations that are much more pertinent to Aqua in particular. She's bound by her duties and her Keyblade summoning involves cherry blossoms, but those traits evoke the image of a samurai as much as, if not more than, the image of a woman. And, likewise, she's empathetic, sentimental, and shows great concern for her friends, but in the context of Kingdom Hearts those traits are preferable for everyone regardless of gender.

And, to complicate things further, she's got a third set of traits that are either not feminine, or just show a lack of adherence to typical gender roles. She's chivalrous, practical, has a great deal of control over her emotions, and appears to be entirely unconcerned about maintaining a perfect appearance. She may be attractive, but she's much more likely to project an image of ferocity or inner strength than of beauty, and she's not afraid to move in ways that seem a bit masculine if it makes more sense (for example, the way she carries Kairi under one arm to run).

She's one of the few characters I've seen who manages to completely avoid the double-bind of either being too masculine or too stereotypical, and for that, she's awesome. ^_^
*claps*
2w65pbm.jpg
taht was beautiful!
*gives you 20 ghost reps*

I liked her fighting style, I sucked with her at first, but now I want nothing more than TAV to ALL have Ghost Drive ^.^
pfft, bladecharge is where its at.

lilVon

live, laugh, lobotomy
Awards
im not too fond of ikkin's their less constuctive and more fan seasoning. but it's hi sopinion not mine. anyways, we should let this die now. the one who started this thread already changed his opinion

not completly changed i just hate her a lil bit less

Allister Rose

French Lover
on the english one i did have a bit of hate because she sounded so helpless even at times when she wasn't suppose. her character is pretty good, she was the trump card that beat MX's game, but i guess she lost too

destiny seeker

Seeker of the Future
Awards

I agree. This is why I love Aqua. However in the english I can't stand her because of the voice. Still in the JP I play her the most.

SogeUsopp114

Awards
sitting with you know who in the realm of darkness
at certain points her voice sounded a bit weird, example when she was held up in the air by master xehanort in the final battle in the final episode. "such a terrible darkness", it always no matter how many times i watched that cutscene just sounded weird. other then that her english voice actor did a pretty good job

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back