• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Did anyone else pronounce it wrong?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zero Sora

Now comes with 50% more bullshit
Awards
Shadow Soldier said:
The game is wrong. It's pronounced Zee-On.
She-on, she-on, she-on, I made it out of clay. She-on, she-on, she-on, with she-on I shall play.

S

Shadow Soldier

If Xion is pronounced She on would Xigbar be pronounced Shig bar?

FINALLY SOMEONE WHO TALKS LIKE A HUMAN!

That is correct sir. Which proves my theory is right and the voice actors can't read shit, it's "Zee-On"

*TwilightNight*

Bronze Member
Awards
That is correct sir. Which proves my theory is right and the voice actors can't read shit, it's "Zee-On"

Actually, it wouldn't be the the voice actors' fault. All they follow is the script. Words like Xion or Xeon aren't new to English speakers, and it's always pronounced with a "z" sound. As is grammatically correct. Put that name in front of anyone, and you'll get more "Zee-on"s or "Zy-on"s, than She-on. I don't know why they keep pulling this. First, it was Marloosha, then She-on, which, sounds weird. Everyone else's are fine when it comes to their "X"s.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
The Japanese language doesn't have a "si" sound, so they substitute it with the closest thing possible: "shi". They also only have one pronunciation for each vowel, unlike in some parts of the world, we have two pronunciations for each vowel.

For example, they have "Ahh, Internet, Urn (that says U-r-n, not U-m), Enter, Open"

But it seems like now, they're trying to get everything, like name pronunciation more accurate, as I've heard both Axel and Roxas call Xion "shi-own". I can't remember if any other person called her differently though.

Remember what happened when we heard Selphie call Tidus "tie-dus"? That was bad.

Of course, going back to the topic, I pronounced Xion "shi-on" as well.

maian

I'm gonna be a grammarfag and say that technically, it's "Zhee-on." When x's make the "Sh" sound it's basically that sound, but with a Z instead of an S. So Zhee-on is technically the most correct pronunciation. I confess though, I always called her Zye-on. Actually, I still do in my head despite knowing the correct way, because I honestly think the right way is retarded. =/

Last edited:

Reverie

Bronze Member
Awards
At first, I thought it was pronounced like Zee-on. I love how it's really pronounced Shee-on. xD

Neko

Keep Holding On
Awards
A few months before the game released I pronouced it "zi-on" then I started to pronouce it "she-on" or something like that.

Orion

Prepared To Die
Awards
It's funny, because it's a matter of saying it right and sounding gay, or saying it wrongly and sounding better.

Euphony

Website
kh-3.net
0_0 I'm still trying to get past the fact that it's not pronounced Zee-on. Havent played the game yet. lol I should probably stop reading these threads then. ><
But yeah the Xi I guess does make the She sound its just that Kingdom Hearts didn't really seem to be following that with any of the other characters.

Allister Rose

French Lover
the problem is that they start dubbing and translating around the same time the japanese version.

they only give "She" to the ones with feminine names. "marlusha" "shion" apparently.

so Zexion will still be Zekseeon and xigbar will still be Zigbar.

though i was hoping for marlusha to be the one and only exception (seeing how the original english pronounciation wouldnt fit the lipsync) but Zee-on or See-on wouldnt be that different.

XI=Shi really doesnt exist in english, and KH does seem to lean towards englsih (seeing how Axel's original name was pronounced differently).

the naming system is jsut full of contradictories within kh

maian

Zh. Zzzzhhhh. X's don't make "Sh," they make "Zh." Minor difference, but still important. Anyway it comes to no surprise to me. When i's follow x's it often makes the "zh" sound. That's not to say I like it though. I like both of Xion's and Marluxia's alternate pronunciations, and still go by those ones in my head despite knowing better.

"Mar-look-see-yuh" sounds way better than "Mar-loo-zha" in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back