• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Discuss: Online Gaming

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

XenonSovereign

The End Boss of KHInsider
I started this discussion because online gaming seems to be one of the biggest gaming factors at the moment. Where would you be without online gaming?

Techinally, I'd be in the same place I am now, playing offline :\

Discuss

S

Shadow Soldier

I think online gaming sucks. I hate the fact that that's all gamers want now, and because of that, developers work on that and give us a lackluster single player experience. It's bullshit. I say scrap online gaming.

Trag

Bronze Member
I wouldn't say scrap it entirely, but I would say that there should be a hell of a lot less dependency on it. Modern Warfare 2's campaign is totally lackluster, it just looks pretty.

Nyangoro

Break the Spell
Awards
Well; I like playing games offline, and I like playing games online (or, if you prefer, I like both singleplayer and multiplayer). Take away one and I'll just play the other.

krexia

Translator
Awards
I think online gaming sucks. I hate the fact that that's all gamers want now, and because of that, developers work on that and give us a lackluster single player experience. It's bullshit. I say scrap online gaming.
Depends on the game and depends on the developer. I know some developers will shoehorn shitty online options into games that shouldn't have them, but that doesn't mean all online gaming is bad. When a game's intended to be multiplayer, online is always a benefit. Many multiplayer games - like Left 4 Dead - would be totally worthless without online features, and are not intended to be played alone. If the single player mode of MW2 was lacklustre, that's because it's also primarily a multiplayer game.

D

Deleted member 36435

HOW DARE PEOPLE LIKE SOCIAL INTERACTION OVER SITTING ALONE IN THEIR ROOMS AT NIGHT!

Stavvy

Legendary Member
Awards
Like it or not, people come back to play multiplayer a hell of a lot more than single player; based off of the fact that humans primarily follow the survival of the fittest theory. Competition keeps people entertained.

Stavvy

Legendary Member
Awards
Personally, I like offline multiplayer more, if it's done right. Like I'd rather play Gears co-op with a buddy on the sofa than online with him. Same goes for Rock Band or anything.

Ashes Remnant

It's All Crazy! It's All False!
Personally, I like offline multiplayer more, if it's done right. Like I'd rather play Gears co-op with a buddy on the sofa than online with him. Same goes for Rock Band or anything.

Same here. System link parties with Halo 3, two on a tv, less then 25 feet away is amazing. The insults, oh the insults. And the throwing of the shoes. Great times.

Stavvy

Legendary Member
Awards
Exactly. I've fond memories of 16-player Halo 2 lan parties. Nothing could do that online, it's impossible to emulate.

Ashes Remnant

It's All Crazy! It's All False!
Exactly. I've fond memories of 16-player Halo 2 lan parties. Nothing could do that online, it's impossible to emulate.

Especially cause online experiences are totally different from IRL. I can't remember 90% of my good times over XBL, but I remember perfectly the laughs and inside jokes formed IRL.

S

Shadow Soldier

I still say scrap online multiplayer. I don't remember anyone bitching about it when games like Goldeneye were on the market. I also sure as fuck don't remember an opponent randomly "disconnecting" when you're kicking their ass left right and center in the Facility with RCP90.

SilverJ-17

spams bombs, not posts
Awards
I don't really care all too much for online gaming. I've played a few games online and I played two of them a great deal of time, but the majority of the games I play are not online games. I like a good storyline or decent story mode every now and then, along with offline- multiplayer, like TimeSplitters 2 or Future Perfect. Actually, TS's story mode >>>>>>>>>>>> UT3's Campaign.

Square Ninja

"special recipe"
Website
www.classicgaming.com

stop crying because you don't play well with others

I still say scrap online multiplayer. I don't remember anyone bitching about it when games like Goldeneye were on the market. I also sure as fuck don't remember an opponent randomly "disconnecting" when you're kicking their ass left right and center in the Facility with RCP90.

because console gamers couldn't even imagine you could do tcp/ip with a N64

Do you have any idea why Goldeneye is so fondly remembered? It's because it had a fucktasticly awesome multiplayer mode at the time. You could have four people playing the game at one time...four players on a platform that had always been given the gimped multiplayer versions. What happened with the Konami TMNT arcade games? Their console ports limited the game to two players as opposed to the four-player mode that made the game so fun in the first place. When Goldeneye came around finally a console game would allow for what arcades had been doing for just under a decade.

so yeah stop crying because you have no people skills

S

Shadow Soldier

I'm still saying make online multiplayer, a second option, not the main. At least with people being in the room, when you're about to win a match or something, the opponent doesn't randomly disconnect because they suck. I prefer single player over online multiplayer. Sue me.

Square Ninja

"special recipe"
Website
www.classicgaming.com
I'm still saying make online multiplayer, a second option, not the main.

Some games are made for multiplayer. Don't like it? Fine, don't buy it.

At least with people being in the room, when you're about to win a match or something, the opponent doesn't randomly disconnect because they suck.

A legitimate grievance, but there is a solution on the developer's side. You could make a small network-side program that tracks how often, when, for what reasons, and under what circumstances a player disconnects from a game. With enough data the program could figure out who is bailing on matches and penalize them accordingly. If they just have a shitty connection, the program can just overlook it.

I prefer single player over online multiplayer. Sue me.

It's fine if you don't like multiplayer, but calling for its complete annihilation is pretty ridiculous.

S

Shadow Soldier

Some games are made for multiplayer. Don't like it? Fine, don't buy it.
No, I realize that. But when games like say (I'm picking the obvious), Halo and Modern Warfare (1), both have amazing stories and they get tossed to the "do after list", I don't like it. I'd want to play the game for the story, make it evolve as the series goes on. But it gets tacked on second.

A legitimate grievance, but there is a solution on the developer's side. You could make a small network-side program that tracks how often, when, for what reasons, and under what circumstances a player disconnects from a game. With enough data the program could figure out who is bailing on matches and penalize them accordingly. If they just have a shitty connection, the program can just overlook it.
Not aware developers could do that.

It's fine if you don't like multiplayer, but calling for its complete annihilation is pretty ridiculous.

No, I do enjoy the odd multiplayer matchmaking in games. But if the game can have an amazing story, and the developers use their time to make the Online not suck, it's a bit annoying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back