• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Disney announces Disney & Marvel Games Showcase at D23 Expo 2022

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

palizinhas

Awards
I mean, KH has shown up in the emoji thing right? Considering Nomura was hesitant to put KH in Smash because of the lore I think the fact most of the mobile games have excuse plots with the characters complicate things.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
It is curious that KH will appear in Square's mobile titles (Record Keeper, Brave Exvius), but not in Disney's (Speedstorm, Sorcerer's Arena).
KH has been in some Disney mobile titles, namely Emoji Blitz and Tsum Tsum (and weirdly, Deadpool weilds Keyblades in Marvel Heroes but they don't look like Keyblades.)

Speedstorm and Dreamlight Valley are at least on consoles as well so the chances of a Keyblade in DV or maybe a costume for Donald / Mickey in SS is on the cards.

People at Disney have also been sneaking a lot more into their shows and movies as well, e.g. Proud Family and Chip and Dale, so the chances for a reference in these other games is higher than it was a decade ago.

The restrictions on KH in other games or media means that nothing will ever top D23's announcement of the Disney Infinity 3.0 Mickey disc and Keyblade for me. I know, Smash Bros blah blah, but Disney itself referencing KH in something else was pretty much unheard of back then. I hope for that momentum to really continue.

palizinhas

Awards
KH (and DuckTales 2017) also is canonically set in a parallel reality to Disney Magic Kingdoms.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
It is curious that KH will appear in Square's mobile titles (Record Keeper, Brave Exvius), but not in Disney's (Speedstorm, Sorcerer's Arena).
Even more interesting considering it’s been in some Disney games like Tsum Tsum and Emoji Blitz…what is holding it back in these other situations?

NoWay

Awards
I'll throw in my hat and say I expect a KH3 upgrade for PS5 with a reskinned Kingdom Key
This is everything I wanted for the last two years. Please give me that Kh3 remaster and the Ux Remake (like Crisis Core).
I can’t wait another 2 years without any new KH entry

SweetYetSalty

Awards
If we are going to advocate for what we want I'll join! Not only do I want my 358/2 Days remake I also want a full DLC for Melody of Memory that includes all the missing songs, KH3 demade worlds, all of ReMind remixes, Critical Mode, and a unlockable Team Kairi and Team Xehanort. Why not?

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I'll throw in my hat and say I expect a KH3 upgrade for PS5 with a reskinned Kingdom Key
Honestly this is what I want the most. I’m really upset that they haven’t ported over the PC version improvements to a current gen console version. I know they can’t bring over everything but there is plenty they can bring over.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
Kingdom Hearts Re: Union X time! 😎
Doubtful, especally in UE4. That would make it a production on par with KH3/4. For a game that Square made as cheaply as possible. A somewhat more plausible possibility could be reusing KH1/2/BBS maps but so so many new areas and enemy models would need to be made anyway that Square may not see it as worth it.

Really, the more likely scenario if they're still going for a playable title is a direct port with retooled gameplay. The assets are in HD already.

Still holding out for a KH 3.5 current-gen upgrade with Unchained/Union X movie 🥶

I would hope Square would stop resorting to theater modes in place of playable games. I swear at least a part of the reason I got an X-Box Series S was because I run Days and Coded on an emulator with it.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
I've given up on a Re:Union. While we still don't know what the fourth mysterious team Nomura spoke about in 2020 is doing, him having to decide between Verum Rex and KH4 tells me that resources for a console remake of X might be out of the picture.

Creating environments for TV is different for games, but I was selfishly hoping that making a KH show meant those early worlds being remade in UE4 meant they could reuse the assets for that for an eventual X game but if KH isn't announced at D23 next month then I'm giving up on that too.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
I've given up on a Re:Union. While we still don't know what the fourth mysterious team Nomura spoke about in 2020 is doing, him having to decide between Verum Rex and KH4 tells me that resources for a console remake of X might be out of the picture.

Creating environments for TV is different for games, but I was selfishly hoping that making a KH show meant those early worlds being remade in UE4 meant they could reuse the assets for that for an eventual X game but if KH isn't announced at D23 next month then I'm giving up on that too.
It's possible HAND got put on a game after NEO. Can't imagine what else they'd be doing.

As for tv, well to put it in perspective, everything in Mandalorian except for the actors was made in Unreal. The engine isn't indicative of what it'll look like or if it's assets are reuseable for games.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
It's possible HAND got put on a game after NEO. Can't imagine what else they'd be doing.
They released another game with Square Enix last May.
As for tv, well to put it in perspective, everything in Mandalorian except for the actors was made in Unreal. The engine isn't indicative of what it'll look like or if it's assets are reuseable for games.
I know. For me, with the show and games being made in Unreal, I was like "well if they're building Wonderland for the show, then they might have assets to pull from for a future game to save development time" but there's a lot of difference between the two mediums and a lot of uncertainty about projects.

And you know what? I keep forgetting that Missing Link is a thing, even in this thread where it's been brought up several times. I just fail to remember that this is a game in development. That ultimately might be what the fourth team has worked on if the UX/DR team weren't repurposed for it (I think they were moved to other KH games but I assumed it was KH4.)

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
They released another game with Square Enix last May.
Said game appears to be a live action FMV game. And given how shortly after NEO it came, I'm guessing it was made by a separate, and possibly smaller, team.

bambii

Awards
Website
twitter.com
As an aside—this is probably a pipe dream at this point, but if that KH Disney+ series still miraculously exists, it most likely would be shown at the 2 hour Studio Showcase at 6:30pm ET the same day. The description says:

“Join Disney Studios for an all-star look at what’s coming up in theaters and on Disney+ from Disney’s iconic Walt Disney Animation Studios and Pixar Animation Studios, as well as its namesake motion picture group behind such recent Disney hits as Cruella, Jungle Cruise, and Chip ’N Dale: Rescue Rangers.

…though I’m pretty sure the rumors were that Square was developing the series in-house, and there’s no “third party studio” showcase listed anywhere, so. *shrug*

Alexxio M.

Awards
4 things
missing link news perhaps new trailer?
kh Disney + clarification and teaser if it is real
Dlc for melody of memory which includes all missing songs and some KHUx songs too like Daybreak Town, The foretellers, Master of Masters, Passing the Power and Union cross’s credit dearly beloved
Dreamlight valley interests me and putting Kh Easter eggs in there will help me decide whether or not to keep an eye on it

Awards
I thought Missing Link was what the "fourth team" was doing, with the third team being Melody of Memory.

Back