• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Film ► Disney What Ifs

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
What if Don Bluth hadn't left Disney in the early eighties?
Oh man we’d have a completely different Disney! I sort of wonder how he feels knowing a lot of his projects are now owned by Disney, the very company he left because they didn’t want to give him the creative freedom he deserved?

WaltK

Awards
Oh man we’d have a completely different Disney! I sort of wonder how he feels knowing a lot of his projects are now owned by Disney, the very company he left because they didn’t want to give him the creative freedom he deserved?
It's still baffling/hypocritical to me how Disney were so against letting him have all that creative freedom. Just the other day I was watching the Disney Renaissance documentary, Waking Sleeping Beauty, and it got to the part where it talked about Bluth at Disney and how the higher ups and his fellow colleagues back then saw him as an upstart Walt wannabe (paraphrasing), and I just clucked at how infuriatingly unfair that was.

Why were so many creatives that followed him allowed all that creative control, but not him?

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
It's still baffling/hypocritical to me how Disney were so against letting him have all that creative freedom. Just the other day I was watching the Disney Renaissance documentary, Waking Sleeping Beauty, and it got to the part where it talked about Bluth at Disney and how the higher ups and his fellow colleagues back then saw him as an upstart Walt wannabe (paraphrasing), and I just clucked at how infuriatingly unfair that was.

Why were so many creatives that followed him allowed all that creative control, but not him?
Katzenberg seemed to feel threatened by Bluth. I think he and other execs knew that if Bluth was allowed to continue, he could have risen to the top of the company. (I don’t think that is what Bluth wanted, nor do I think he would have been particularly good at it). Back then so many of those guys wanted to be top dog and to have a reputation like Walt Disney himself. Bluth had so many of them jealous, thus why they called him a wannabe Walt.

WaltK

Awards
I've been thinking again about the Don Bluth stuff, and it occurred to me: while I'm sure Bluth would have done amazing things for the company (if they bloody let him), it'd potentially be at the expense of the stuff he did go on to do.

Imagine a world were Bluth stayed at Disney and stuff like Secret of NIMN and American Tail either never existed or ended up as very different movies.

Back