• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Film ► Divergent Series

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Delsan

Killjoy Hillington
Awards
I thought it'd be best to start a thread after a teaser trailer for Divergent was revealed at this years VMA's.

I've been a fan of the series since the first book came out. A lot of people are comparing it to the Hunger Games, but to be honest this series is so much better (at least I think it is). Here's the summary from Amazon:

In Beatrice Prior’s dystopian Chicago world, society is divided into five factions, each dedicated to the cultivation of a particular virtue—Candor (the honest), Abnegation (the selfless), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), and Erudite (the intelligent). On an appointed day of every year, all sixteen-year-olds must select the faction to which they will devote the rest of their lives. For Beatrice, the decision is between staying with her family and being who she really is—she can’t have both. So she makes a choice that surprises everyone, including herself.

Trust me--it's better than the summary.

Anyway, this is discussion for the book series as well as movies. If you're wondering about the casting, click here.

Last edited:

KingdomKey

Queen
Awards
Finally! I honestly can not wait for the movie Divergent to come out. I don't know how to feel about the person casted for Four. I would join the faction Dauntless, because, I wanna handle weapons and jump off rooftop and all that crazy stuff. <3 I can't wait to see how it ends in Allegiant. After reading Insurgent and it's ending awhile ago; was a shocking twist and renewed my faith in shipping Four and Tris. This series is nothing like Hunger Games. I seriously hope we get the ferris wheel scene.

Delsan

Killjoy Hillington
Awards
Finally! I honestly can not wait for the movie Divergent to come out. I don't know how to feel about the person casted for Four.

Really? I'm fine with all the casting choices. Most notable for me is Maggie Q as Tori.

I seriously hope we get the ferris wheel scene.

We are. You didn't see it in the trailer? It also looks like we're getting the scene where Caleb attacks Tris as well.

I can't wait to see how it ends in Allegiant. After reading Insurgent and it's ending awhile ago; was a shocking twist and renewed my faith in shipping Four and Tris.

Yeah, the ending to Insurgent both angered and excited me. Angered because it ended RIGHT IN THE SCENE (ugh!) and excited because I cannot wait to see where the series is going. And even more exciting, Roth revealed that Tris AND Tobias will be point of views.

KingdomKey

Queen
Awards
Really? I'm fine with all the casting choices. Most notable for me is Maggie Q as Tori.

I imagined Four looking a bit different compared to the actor playing as him. After watching the trailer, he's okay. A lot of people mention that about Tori. I never really thought about what she looked like.

We are. You didn't see it in the trailer? It also looks like we're getting the scene where Caleb attacks Tris as well.

Due to my excitement, I hadn't noticed the link that showed the trailer. I'm pleased with everything I've seen so far. Is Caleb the one who tries to kill Tris at night? Then later, commits suicide? Unless its her brother, can't remember why he would attack her for.

Yeah, the ending to Insurgent both angered and excited me. Angered because it ended RIGHT IN THE SCENE (ugh!) and excited because I cannot wait to see where the series is going. And even more exciting, Roth revealed that Tris AND Tobias will be point of views.

Wow. It must be a big book to want to cover both Tris and Tobias point of views. I hope we get a good ending out of Allegiant.

Delsan

Killjoy Hillington
Awards
I imagined Four looking a bit different compared to the actor playing as him. After watching the trailer, he's okay.

I was a little worried at first too, but the trailer raised my expectations. He's going to make a great Four

A lot of people mention that about Tori. I never really thought about what she looked like.

Neither did I, but I'm mostly excited because Maggie Q's the main actor in Nikita, which is an awesome show.

Due to my excitement, I hadn't noticed the link that showed the trailer. I'm pleased with everything I've seen so far. Is Caleb the one who tries to kill Tris at night? Then later, commits suicide? Unless its her brother, can't remember why he would attack her for.

Got the names mixed up. I meant Peter instead of Caleb. Al is the one who committed suicide after helping Peter attack Tris.

Wow. It must be a big book to want to cover both Tris and Tobias point of views. I hope we get a good ending out of Allegiant.

Yeah, it's a little out of nowhere considering that Tris has been the POV for the first two books. After reading Free Four I have high hopes, though.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
[video=youtube;sutgWjz10sM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sutgWjz10sM[/video]

first full length trailer

Patricier21

What my life has taught me is that ANYTHING is possible and ANYTHING can happen. Do not underestimate the power of possibility. While it does seem like Summit/Lionsgate most likely will continue with the 2 Part Allegiant movies, the possibility of Part 2 not happening is actually completely possible. This is especially since they are filming both parts as separate movies. Granted, it does seem ludicrous for them to make Part 1 of a movie and then discontinue, but things on a similar spectrum of ridiculousness have occurred:

1) While Lionsgate’s book adaptation track record so far has been great, it is not entirely spotless as Ender’s Game flopped after a fairly decent opening weekend. Literally ALL of their other book adaptation movies have done well, so what happened with that? Chris Weitz (director of New Moon) has stated that Lionsgate/Summit “understands the importance of the books - members of which who have read the books and appreciate them - not just see them as engines of possible profit." Upon further critical analysis supported by fans’ general reactions and the movies’ success, he appears to be right. Yet Ender’s Game proves that even Lionsgate can discontinue a franchise if it does not do well. While Allegiant happens to be a threequel, with two previous movies and a strong fan base to fall back on, there are still some fans who are not impressed with the movies, and unfortunately, it has to go up against the conundrum that is Batman vs. Superman: Dawn of Justice which is VERY highly anticipated by most and is a more sound success despite the negative critical and even fan reaction that it may very well get. Dawn of Justice is NOT going to move its release date (it already has multiple times), and I do not think Allegiant Part 1 is going to move either, for a) that often leads to movies not doing so well if they are not of a strong brand and b) Lionsgate seems like they want to keep the series in its comfortable release window even if it is in moral danger. Beauty and the Beast, among other movies opening in March 2017 against Part 2 may also
hinder it from happening per the bomb that Part 1 very much could become.

2) Again, with the Amazing Spider-Man movies. If you ask me, it is one of the most absurd and crazy things ever to happen in Hollywood that they are actually starting over (minus origin story but it WILL be integrated into the Marvel Cinematic Universe in some form or another) the Spider-man movies AGAIN when they literally JUST rebooted them. The Amazing Spider-Man series would actually have been able to tie itself into the MCU quite well in ways which I and other fans have thought of; With Joss Whedon’s quote during production of The Avengers that the key with the Avengers movies let alone the entire Cinematic Universe is “to have all of these stories and characters be tied in and work together, even if they don’t”, one would think that Marvel would be open to finding ways to making the ASM movies tie into their larger universe, again considering that they WERE actually thinking of having Andrew Garfield’s spider-man be the MCU spider-man, among other close connections in the past. Also, The Amazing Spider-man 2 actually did fairly well financially, or at least well enough to not have its series be necessarily discontinued.

3) TV shows like Firefly were cancelled even after they got such high ratings.

To stop the Divergent series with only a half complete ending is about as absurd as Hollywood can go. Besides, for those who do not like the ending of the book, there are rumors that they may actually change the ending or at least include an alternate ending for the home media devices. Even if you do not care for this, consider those that do. Not everyone who is a fan has read the books, and again, maybe it might be changed to a way that could be BETTER than the book. Think about how you felt when some other franchise you loved was rebooted or discontinued. Referring to the former, people’s reactions to the spider-man reboots caused it to suffer ANOTHER reboot, and lose some people’s favorite superhero franchise, including mine.

You always have a choice to make a difference no matter how big or small it may be. Even if it does not amount to much, at least you are doing something to help others and by extension avenge yourself. Do not let this pattern of discontinuing movie franchises without completed stories continue. Others may not be able to deal with it as easily as you. These franchises that were discontinued could have made a difference in their lives if their stories were fully completed. They may not find value in that which is popular or fairly similar, for there is always difference in some form between everything, no matter how big or small, and it is about the WAY that it is presented that people will get value out of it. Perhaps the way that Divergent does things is better to some people than the Hunger Games. That must be true; otherwise there would not be such a fandom for Divergent, and vice versa. 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back