• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Do you hope Terra will get a new voice actor?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Samhain

Bronze Member
Please...PLEASE! PLEASE get Terra a new VA for KH3

The guy voicing Terra is awful. He sounds too bland for Terra, and he has no emotion whatsoever. Just check out Eraqus death scene. Terra was suppose to crying when Eraqus died. When Terra said "Master Eraqus" it was so laughable. It was bad, bad voice acting

Please get a new VA. He is really bad. Aqua sucks too, but at least eventually you can get used to her VA. Terra's?
*pukes*

Terra's japanese voice is far superior than his english counterpart...I mean did they even try? At least MX VA between JPN & NA were similar. The same with Vanitas & Eraqus.

disney233

Awards
Re: Do you hope Terra will get a new Voice Actor?

I take it the voice actors in Birth by Sleep was bad. Meh not to me I don't really think they did a bad job. They weren't all THAT bad to my opinion

Samhain

Bronze Member

Actually Leonard Nimoy did a fantastic job as MX, so did Jesse McCartney as Ven.

Terra & Aqua's VA were a disgrace

disney233

Awards

Actually Leonard Nimoy did a fantastic job as MX, so did Jesse McCartney as Ven.

Terra & Aqua's VA were a disgrace
Personally I think Terra and Aqua's VA did a decent job I wouldn't call it a discrace. The only discrace of a voice actress is Arieth' s VA for KH2

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

I don't blame Jason Dohring's performance on him, but a mix of him being new to voice acting and the fact that the Japanese voice director directed them in English as well.

Japanese voice direction is very different from English voice direction because the Japanese language flows in a completely different way, and it can lead to wooden performances in English because words that should be emphasized aren't or words that shouldn't are and just a whole slew of issues.

So, no, I don't want Terra or Aqua for that matter to be replaced. Either the Japanese voice director needs to allow for a more fluid, natural reading of the script in English or they need to actually hire a good English voice director to do the English voice over work.

Absent

Nomura's Biggest Fan
Awards

I was about to say, it's not 100% the VA's fault. In voice acting it's the director's, producer's(depends), engineer's and voice actor's job to make the performance work. I've no doubt they have potential, Willa's performance in Arrow shows that she's a great actress.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards

No. Especially with KH's track record, they would probably cast someone worse.

Ruran

Flesh by mother, soul by father
Awards

I'm neutral on Terra's and Aqua's VAs. They're not great, but I feel they get the job done.

Relix

A traveler
Awards

As stated before they just need better direction. Even the most impressive of actors can have lackluster execution if directed improperly. I mean look at Peter Dinklage in Destiny; he's a great actor but many feel that his performance was not that good. A guy who's never voice acted before and is being directed by someone who is a professional at directing in another language and environment is bound to not have the best performance. If they get a different voice director he'll probably sound pretty decent. Take a look at Terra's scene with MX when they are sharing the same body. That was pretty good. He can do it

Xohamed

every voice actor on birth by sleep did a great job

Delsan

Killjoy Hillington
Awards

I just think that Willa & Jason needed to break into their roles and as the game went on I got very invested in their characters because of the acting.

Anagram

Banned

I'm neutral on Terra's and Aqua's VAs. They're not great, but I feel they get the job done.

Me too. 2.5 helped their performances too I think.

DarkGrey Heroine

How much closer could I be?
Awards

I think all KH voices are awesome and I love how clear they sound, always~
I didn't think of Terra's voice being bad, I think it suited him. Aqua's voice is soft and unique, I love this one. Jesse McCartney is perfect for Ven and Roxas.
As for Vanitas (and Sora), ......... as a Vanitas and Sora fan myself, I'm totally satisfied with these two guys' voices xD
Oh, and Mickey's new voice is better, if you ask my opinion. No nostalgia here, I really like this new voice more than the old one.

Terra is a rather dull character sometimes in terms of profoundness, his whole personality was rather shake-y at that time, but that's because of the story.

I somehow grew attached to every single voice actor from this series, I wouldn't replace them now, the way they are is good and, anyway, the whole series ends soon, so sudden changes like that would be not a nice surprise...

kuraudoVII

D'oh, I missed!
Awards

Personally, I wasn't bothered too much by either Jason or Willa's performances. They were far from the best, but in my opinion, they were far from the worst. As others have already pointed out by now, voice direction is extremely important. If the voice direction sucks, then the performance itself sucks however good the voice may be. Not helping matters was the fact that this was most likely the first voice acting gig that either of them had.

I just think that Willa & Jason needed to break into their roles and as the game went on I got very invested in their characters because of the acting.

Agreed. The voices themselves are actually really good, they just needed more time to adjust to their roles. Willa Holland sounds really good in the Secret Episode and I could have sworn that Jason Dohring was doing some voice work for a series of audiobooks.

Also, on another note, Jason's acting is best when he's allowed to emote (i.e.: during the flashbacks where he sounds like a teenager instead of a young adult). This is especially evident when hearing his war cries whether in gameplay or in the cutscene. One of Everglow's videos (from back when he still went by Pacey) had him take all of his war grunts from the game - gameplay and cutscene - and his war grunts show that he definitely can get the job done. The one that plays at 13:29 (taken from when he lets lose in the cutscene before his one on one battle with Master Xehanort) comes to mind.

I don't blame Jason Dohring's performance on him, but a mix of him being new to voice acting and the fact that the Japanese voice director directed them in English as well.

Japanese voice direction is very different from English voice direction because the Japanese language flows in a completely different way, and it can lead to wooden performances in English because words that should be emphasized aren't or words that shouldn't are and just a whole slew of issues.

So, no, I don't want Terra or Aqua for that matter to be replaced. Either the Japanese voice director needs to allow for a more fluid, natural reading of the script in English or they need to actually hire a good English voice director to do the English voice over work.

It always boggled my mind that they never have an English voice director working in tandem with the Japanese one. As you already pointed out, Japanese flows differently than English so why don't they have an English voice director as well to keep that in mind?

As to who they could get as an English voice director, why not Richard Epcar? He's already in there voicing Xehanort's Heartless...

Angel

number one fan of teresa giudice
I also think that Willa Holland's work on Arrow this past season will give her experience she can draw from to improve her performance as Aqua. So if anything, time will make the VAs better.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
tbh i felt the same about richard epcar as xehanort but with each game he got better and by bbs he easily became one of the better actors in the series and surpassed billy zane.

not saying the case will be the same for jason dohring, but he has had a steady acting career since bbs and with time comes experience.

WhinyAcademic

Awards
He just needs better direction. Aqua did better, but a lot of her dialogue sounded clunky as well (a problem that's been growing ever since, especially in Re coded 2.5). He's a good fit for the part but he showed signs that he could really deliver. He just needs some decent direction.

Look at Richard Epcar. Originally he was terrible because they wanted him to be as bombastic as Billy Zane, but when the director gave him better direction (namely by letting him some breathing room), he sounded tons better in BBS and 3D.

Regarding dialogue again, yeah, it's just so clunky some times. A chunk of Eraqus' dialogue was just so... Cheesy. Which is a shame because Mark Hamill is brilliant and talented. "You must exist no more!" sounds just pathetic.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
"You must exist no more!" sounds just pathetic.

It sounds pathetic because it was meant to sound like that.
Eraqua deeply regrets that he, in his eyes, has to do this and that swings along in his tone.

Otherwise, weren't both Willa Holland and Jason Dohring newbies to voice acting when they did BBS anyways?
That combined with the voice directing issue might also play into their overall performance.

Instead of putting them down why not cut them some slack and give them a second chance.
DDD doesn't really count as they have only cameo appearances in that title with very few lines, but maybe KH III has some more speaking roles for them.
I remember Jesse McCartney also not being received well at first and now he's one of the most praised voice actors of the cast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back