• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Do you think any good guy in KH3 will die?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.
Awards
The guts to kill off Kairi? killing off major female characters to fuel their male counterpart's pain isn't gutsy, it's so overused that it's practically cliche, and it sounds like it would be a rehash of Xion's scene dying in Roxas's arms, to boot. It'd be near impossible to pull it off to make it narratively good o interesting. She serves her purpose better alive, and her character can be led to wherever they're trying to build her up to with the accidental key blade ceremony and the secret ending of DDD.

If a good guy dies off for real, it should serve a grander purpose than just killing off a girl because this series hates it's girls, or killing off a girl because they need to motivate the guys. Terra, Isa, or possibly Young Xehanort could be put in excellent positions to pull off a sacrifice, and they could do that without having their autonomy stripped from them or disregarding their earlier character narratives. Terra has promised to make things right, no matter the price. Isa has post himself again. Young Xehanort may have his reservations about the plan.

But just killing off a character for the sake of killing someone off? I'd rather they didn't. Especially not one of the girls.

Absent

Nomura's Biggest Fan
Awards
I agree, KH doesn't need death or an edgy dialogue/script, it needs proper writing and character development.

Hakan Xatos

Awards
Personally all I want is for the villains to actually kick the bucket (for good!!!). Maybe Xigbar, Isa, Vanitas or the Upteen versions of Xehanort!

As for good guys, sure I could see Terra taking the fall. Sacrifice is okay, but I rather see a battle to the end. Technically Axel and Sora already sacrificed themselves once.

LightUpTheSky452

Haddyn Slayer
Awards
Website
oveliagirlhaditright.tumblr.com
The guts to kill off Kairi? killing off major female characters to fuel their male counterpart's pain isn't gutsy, it's so overused that it's practically cliche, and it sounds like it would be a rehash of Xion's scene dying in Roxas's arms, to boot. It'd be near impossible to pull it off to make it narratively good o interesting. She serves her purpose better alive, and her character can be led to wherever they're trying to build her up to with the accidental key blade ceremony and the secret ending of DDD.

If a good guy dies off for real, it should serve a grander purpose than just killing off a girl because this series hates it's girls, or killing off a girl because they need to motivate the guys. Terra, Isa, or possibly Young Xehanort could be put in excellent positions to pull off a sacrifice, and they could do that without having their autonomy stripped from them or disregarding their earlier character narratives. Terra has promised to make things right, no matter the price. Isa has post himself again. Young Xehanort may have his reservations about the plan.

But just killing off a character for the sake of killing someone off? I'd rather they didn't. Especially not one of the girls.

I love you. Originally, I was going to post something like this (but then I changed my mind, because I felt like I probably talk about Kairi too much on this site), but you said everything I could've about this and more. So kudos to you, my friend. And thanks a bunch for that:)

Also, I would be so very ticked off if Kairi died after everything. With 3D's secret ending, it's making it look as though Nomura's finally going to go somewhere with all the promises they've made us about Kairi in the past but haven't stuck to. But for them to pull something like that again in KHIII--in the worst way ever, by killing her off--I would seriously riot.

Plus, as you said, it wouldn't even make sense because Xehanort needs Kairi.

If they were to kill Kairi off, it would really just seem like the writers have absolutely no idea what to do with her, or that they hate her (and all their female characters when you compare the ratio between them and the guys).

Either that, or they really are trying to make the game darker, in the only way that they know how: by ripping off the Aerith thing from FFVII.

And you know what the sad thing is? It wouldn't even have the desired effect that SE would want it to, because the narrative hasn't built Kairi up enough for most people to even care about her. They want someone crying and emotional in a climatic scene at the ending? Well, they won't get that if they end Kairi, because most everyone is indifferent to her (or worse), and if anything would probably view the scene as completely random.

No, the best thing to do is to build Kairi up, since it looks like she's even more important now, and actually do something with that. Instead of, you know, using the poor plot devices they have thus far with her.

And you mentioned it being a rehash of Days and Xion's end, MegaWallflower, but what's even worse is that it would also be a complete rehash of Kairi's situation in KH1. And her so called "damsel in distress" status that has been done to death, that most people hate her for.

Also, for me personally, I also wouldn't be effected by Kairi's death the way Square would want me to be. Rather, I would be SO mad at the heroes then that it would be ridiculous.

Like, this would be my reaction: "Well, I hope it was worth it, guys. Leaving Kairi behind during Dream Drop Distance, for instance, when you really should've taken her with you. Not taking care of her, like you said you were going to Sora. And you know, spending absolutely no time at all with this girl you were all supposed to care about, and be protecting. And now you've maybe only spent time with her in this one game, but now even that's over forever, because she's dead--having gotten killed on your watch. Great job, guys. Great job. No. Don't cry over her. You don't deserve to cry over her, because you didn't treat her well enough when she was alive. Oh, and now you're all probably screwed, because she helped to make up all the light in the worlds and now she's gone."

But anyway...

Last edited:

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
There are virtually no female characters in KH, especially original ones not created from other characters. It would be a crime to kill off Kairi or Aqua... since, you know, they're basically it in terms of ORIGINAL females. (Not counting Olette here obviously.)

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
Kairi is barely a "character" at all, tbh.... Killing her wouldn't take anything away from the story because she hasn't had one since the PoH became irrelevant.

Killing Aqua though would be redundant storywise for me. I mean, she already did the whole "sacrificed herself for the greater good" plot at the end of BbS; being stuck in the WoD is almost a fate worse than death to me.

Hakan Xatos

Awards
Killing Aqua though would be redundant storywise for me. I mean, she already did the whole "sacrificed herself for the greater good" plot at the end of BbS; being stuck in the WoD is almost a fate worse than death to me.

Yeah she's another one on the redundant watch alright.
Let's see.
Sora, Lea, Aqua, Xion and Eraqus have already sacrificed/died already. Which would make sense why they shouldn't in KH3. Anyone else?

Antifa Lockhart

Awards
The discussion of Kairi has quickly become one of the most yawn-inducing aspects of this series. I'm begging Nomura to do something with her.

She's tragically in need of more development and screentime, and of course no one should be happy with the way she's been handled but she's been pretty major, if even passively, in the main installments of the games.

Some people like her. Why? The traits she's been shown to have are somewhat interesting. When she's given the chance she responds to situations with pluck, sass, and courage. She's also some female representation, which the series is totally in need of. Though there's definitely the argument to be had of demanding better representation.

Likewise some people don't, which I don't understand past "she hasn't been given enough to do." People have issues too with her having a Keyblade AND being a Princess but not forwarding the plot. Which, considering she's both, she's obviously going to be a part of the final clash.
And the way Nomura's avoided talking about her like she's Bettlejuice, I'm hoping it's because he's got something big for her planned.

But no, she's not dying. If the princesses get struck down it's the literal end of the world.

Awards
Kairi is a major character. She's been out of focus and given less screentime than the other characters, but she's not just a Princess of Heart. That's a plot point they haven't touched enough to classify that as the driving feature behind her role as of yet, since it only came up for her in KH1 and briefly in KHBBS. She's more "Sora's and Riku's best friend" as far as her role. Most of her major influence has been that, influence through Sora, Namine, and Xion, so they was a backdrop of the plotpoints of CoM and Days. She's also the reason Sora and Riku actually reunited in KH2 and made it back to the realm of light. Her scenes are few, but she shows plenty of personality in them and she has an effect on quite a few things throughout the series.

Basically speaking, her life serves a greater purpose than her death possible could. Unless the purpose you're looking for is the literal end of the world, like Tinny said.

Yeah she's another one on the redundant watch alright.
Let's see.
Sora, Lea, Aqua, Xion and Eraqus have already sacrificed/died already. Which would make sense why they shouldn't in KH3. Anyone else?
It was temporary (like all of them will probably be, sans maybe Eraqus), but Riku also sacrificed himself in KH1, Roxas sacrificed himself to return to Sora (by the end of the game, he did so willingly, so I think that counts as a sacrifice?), Ansem the Wise sacrificed himself to atone for his sins, Ventus sacrificed himself so the X-blade would break.

Honestly, the multitude of sacrifices that everyone is willing to make for their friends makes me more inclined to think there will be another of a similar nature in KH3. What game has not had someone sacrifice or try to sacrifice themselves for a friend?

Divine Past

Bronze Member
Awards
Given the censure and antipathy she gets from fans, they wouldn't mind if Xion kept being brought back in order to just die in every single game.

Sage-Oracle V

^^That's pretty much just a case of Tingle Syndrome. In Japan, people ADORE Xion, for some inexplicable reason or another. Kairi, too.

What game has not had someone sacrifice or try to sacrifice themselves for a friend?
Literally just Coded and CoM, sort of. Yeah, really. Honoroburu death, and all that, I guess.

Anyways, regarding what would make literally killing anybody off (Kairi included) gutsy wouldn't really be the fact it's a creative, unique or innovative move, but more because Kingdom Hearts has become a sickeningly sweet series that exists for the sole purpose of pandering.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
If the princesses get struck down it's the literal end of the world.

Uhhh.... how? I'm sure there's been plenty of princesses before them, unless they are all eons old.

Honestly, on the subject of Kairi, I feel like bad representation is worse than no representation. Sora and Riku already have each other + all their other friends, so being S & R's friend isn't much of a critical role at this point. No, she and Riku aren't going to die. We can only dream.

Antifa Lockhart

Awards
Uhhh.... how? I'm sure there's been plenty of princesses before them, unless they are all eons old.

Honestly, on the subject of Kairi, I feel like bad representation is worse than no representation. Sora and Riku already have each other + all their other friends, so being S & R's friend isn't much of a critical role at this point. No, she and Riku aren't going to die. We can only dream.

Yen Sid states it in the secret ending of 3D, if Xehanort targets the Princesses and strikes them down the Realm of Light will give way to shadow.

I don't know how the succession/rebirth of it goes, but it's enough of a problem for Yen Sid to be worried.

Divine Past

Bronze Member
Awards
I'm pretty sure I read somewhere when a princess dies for whatever reason a new one gets reborn somewhere in the KH universe. Hopefully that wasn't fan theory.

Awards
I'm pretty sure I read somewhere when a princess dies for whatever reason a new one gets reborn somewhere in the KH universe. Hopefully that wasn't fan theory.
The series still has yet to address how new Princesses of Heart are born to replace ones that die of natural causes and such. As far as I know, that's still just a theory.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
Anyways, regarding what would make literally killing anybody off (Kairi included) gutsy wouldn't really be the fact it's a creative, unique or innovative move, but more because Kingdom Hearts has become a sickeningly sweet series that exists for the sole purpose of pandering.

This statement only shows that you apparently haven't followed the KH series from the very start as it didn't become a "sickeningly sweet" (the actual term for this is idealistic by the way) series, it always was this from the very beginning.

---

As for this whole death and good guys dying just for drama purposes, that topic is so stale and overdone that it just gets boring.

Most people vote only for a major character to die anyways either because they don't like that character to begin with, are on the false assumption that a grisly death scene automatically makes everything more darker and "mature" or because he/she interferes with some of their shipping fetishes.

Aeter

Sora won't, because KH4
Terra possibly could, like when Xehanort is killed.
Ventus might not, he just woke up
Kairi, that would be a good one, to see Sora cry over her and gain ultimate strength to defeat Xehanort
Lea? No. Fanservice (why else would he get a keyblade) says no.
Riku? He's too "resistant" to darkness so I have no idea what would kill him.

Launchpad

i remember the OLD khinsider
Awards
Most people vote only for a major character to die anyways either because they don't like that character to begin with, are on the false assumption that a grisly death scene automatically makes everything more darker and "mature" or because he/she interferes with some of their shipping fetishes.

I want it to happen to literally whoever just to raise the stakes. The stakes are so pathetically low in KH. There's always some macguffin to bring people back from 'death' in KH, so something permanent at the hands of Xehanort would actually make him someone to fear.

personally voting for Roxas, Namine, Xion or Axel, because they're super popular and people would flip the fuck out.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
i think terraqus should die, or sacrifice themselves to aid sora at a pivotal moment. their roles have been filled and having MX kill them midway through the game would show sora shit just got serious. basically what Launchpad said, and what Sephiroth0812 said. killing off a mainstay just to add false tension is like setting your door to open every 15 minutes for excitement while you jerk it, even though you live alone.

Sage-Oracle V

Heroic sacrifices are just painfully overdone, especially in Kingdom Hearts. They're also painfully meaningless, what with a hundred or so happening in every game. If a mainstay dying adds false tension, I think you've seen too many Disney fakeouts.

Wait a minute.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back