• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Do you think characters should've aged further?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

SweetYetSalty

Awards
i honestly feel like I'm the one person who doesn't really care about Sora's parents
I don't either.

On the topic of aging, aging in Kingdom Hearts makes no sense. The BBS trio drank from the fountain of youth, that's been established. But for ReMind, correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the 1 year time skip happen after we see the Wayfinders go to the Realm of Darkness? They could have went there right after the Destiny Island party. Kairi went to sleep for a year, so she probably went to sleep in her KH3 clothes, so she checks out. Though her hair could have grown. I guess they didn't feel the need to change her model for a DLC. We haven't seen anybody else since the year time skip, so for all we know they could all have updated looks. The only character that's the same is Riku. He's been in that outfit and with the same Demon Tower haircut since KH3. I expect to see Axel with a cane with his old self.

Too bad Xehanort didn't know about the arcs that apparently time travel. He didn't need a younger body, he just needed to use that to send him to the future to see how everything plays out.

MrFranklin95

Awards
Website
www.facebook.com
i honestly feel like I'm the one person who doesn't really care about Sora's parents
Oh no, no one cares. Absolutely no one cares. I'm literally the only fan left who cares lol

I've just always found it weird. Especially because more or less, in these kinds of Shonen based stories, they excuse the parents not being there bc they either abandoned the child, the child is in a different world, or they're dead.

But in KH, they're just gone. Like, no explanation. No appearance. Just gone. It doesn't really make or break the story (in some cases anyway) but I still find it odd. And I think it more or less has to do with not exploring enough SRK's home world at all.

Honestly, I can see why most don't considering, again, in these kinds of stories the parents are always absent. Its just a trope of the genre that's very easy to excuse... whatever, I'm gonna die on this hill. For all the weirdness of KH that I can explain anyway with its own lore, I still find it kind of weird honestly.

But to be fair, the Disney characters sort fill the parent role anyways. Espeically with Mickey, Donald, and Goofy.

*Aqua stuck in the realm of darkness for ten years*

Mickey: eh, I can wait.

*Riku goes to Quadratum alone for like 5 seconds*

Mickey: MY BABY BOY!!!

Last edited:

Vulpes XIII

Awards
Honestly I’ve just given up with trying to figure out the logic of how ageing works in this series after time travel was introduced since the characters ages are already messed up.

Since how do you determine the age for someone like Luxu who has kept switching vessels over the years? Do we go by Luxu actual age or the age of his current vessel?

Also how does ageing for Ven, Lauriam and Elrena work since they are all from the ancient past and are technically older than Xehanort but in the current timeline their definitely younger than Xehanort?

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
Also how does ageing for Ven, Lauriam and Elrena work since they are all from the ancient past and are technically older than Xehanort but in the current timeline their definitely younger than Xehanort?
Well them being younger than the old man can be explained by saying they were flung from the distant past and into the future through some means. We will probably see how at the end of Chi

Vulpes XIII

Awards
Well them being younger than the old man can be explained by saying they were flung from the distant past and into the future through some means. We will probably see how at the end of Chi
Although they were flung through time, they are still from the ancient past so would their actual age technically be the age they should be or the age they appear to be in the current timeline?

KudoTsurugi

Awards
Although they were flung through time, they are still from the ancient past so would their actual age technically be the age they should be or the age they appear to be in the current timeline?
Dunno about Luxu/Xigbar, but I’d assume for Ven, there’s probably some Avatar stuff going on with him, like sleeping for hundreds of years but is the same age physically.

HakaishinChampa

Awards
A cameo from Sora's Mom would be cool but it's not really needed.

My worry is like in other Shonen Animes, they'll make Sora's parents really important.

Sora's Mom could end up being Ava for example, it's a cool thing to see in KH fanfics but I don't think it'll be executed properly.

MrFranklin95

Awards
Website
www.facebook.com
A cameo from Sora's Mom would be cool but it's not really needed.

My worry is like in other Shonen Animes, they'll make Sora's parents really important.

Sora's Mom could end up being Ava for example, it's a cool thing to see in KH fanfics but I don't think it'll be executed properly.
Honestly, I think would add more then it would take away and they don't even have to be important. They could just be normal somebodies honestly and it would be fine. But even if they would end up being important in some way, who cares? Its all in the quality of the writing. Just because something is cliche in its genre, doesn't mean it can't work if you do it well... though, to your point, the series does have a trend of taking the cliches parts of shonen anime and making them more cliche. This especially the case when it comes to the mixed bag of how they write women in the series and exclusion of parents without an explanation (a lot of people don't care and I get it but for a story trying to be as grand and expansive with characters and lore as this, its a bit of a flaw for me personally). But again, that doesn't mean it can't work or can't be improved. The relationship between Sora/Riku which, don't get me wrong, they're the best part of the series but obviously very cliche but since the writing works and Noruma puts effort into them, they are most defined relationship. They way the series treats women is a giant mixed bag but Aqua is probably the best character in the entire series (at least for me anyway, I think she's great). And they are... um... attempting do things with Kairi, so that's something lol

Besides all that, KH's lore is very unique and has the attemptly smart angle of being interesting by also tieing into the emotional core of the story and its characters. Its character arcs and relationships wouldn't be the same without its lore.

At this point in the story, I'm just kind of tired of the whole "friends are my power" angle that the series wants to drive home, or at least, in the way its being told right now. I'm obviously not against it and its one of the series defining themes (hell, its the core of most Shonen series, which narrativelty, is what the series is going for) but personally, I just think the series needs to delve into more dymanic relationships if the story, which is mostly carried by its characters and character relationships more so then its plot (in most cases anyway), wants to evolve past this point.

Although I am also against characters in the past turning out to be THIS CHARACTER OHHHH!! It worked with Xigbar/Luxu but I don't think it would work for any other character. The only way it would work again is if Ava is Kairi's grandmother and even then, that's a stretch and a half but at the very least, it wouldn't be out of nowhere considering the way KH X begins its story and considering that this next saga will, hopefully, put Kairi in the spotlight in the Foreteller Saga in the same way Riku was for the Dark Seeker Saga. But no, Ava being Sora's mom would open up a whole can of worms. Or, God forbid, Sora ends up being the Master of Masters which, by this point in Union Cross, wouldn't make any sense.

Honestly, its not even about the parent angle at this point. I can live without that although I think it's something the series needs but I just think the series needs to redefine its themes as a whole and tell it in a different way. They had something going with Sora in KH3 but its really messy, not well established, and too muddled by its plot to convey whatever theme KH3 was going for. Espeically when it comes to Sora/Kairi and any other character relationship that move past the point of friendship. The series cycling around this friendship angle in the way they are telling is going to get boring, stale, and cliche... if it hasn't already for a lot of people. And if they don't do anything interesting with it, by the end of the next saga, if the characters are in the exact same place as they started, that'll be pretty disappointing for a story that I think could so much better then it is right now.

Like, I just recently watched HunterxHunter and though I don't think KH could reach the storytelling heights of Togashi's work, with Disney at the helm I don't know if it can or Disney will ever allow it too, it has infinite potential. And ending theme of the series in HXH by the final episode is basically "Your friends are your power" but in a much deeper way that resonates a lot better.

Maybe I'm asking too much for a series like Kingdom Hearts to be more then Noruma and Disney thinks it should be. If Yozora and his whole world end up becoming a separate franchise (which I don't know how to feel about that at the moment) where Noruma will REALLY start to flex his creative muscles... regardless, THIS franchise, the one we have right now, has the potential to be something unique and amazing. It already is unique but it just needs... more, ya know?

And better writing, obviously.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 246005

@MrFranklin95 Eraqus helped me connect with Terra/Ven/Aqua more. He grounds them similar to how Twilight Town grounds Roxas. Twilight Town is a better conceived hub than Destiny Islands to me.

So giving Sora and the others a Timeskip could help them but it could also hurt them. DMC has a lot of timeskips but I don't think the cast benefits from it. Hence why I'm hoping they start fresh for DMC6.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 246005

I thought people were caring for lols, do people genuinely care about Sora's parents?
I'm more into seeing Kairi and Riku's parents more than Sora's. But I wouldn't mind seeing his.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I get why people want to see their parents but I also think the point is to show how the main heroes are their own sort of found family, and that their normal lives on the island are irrelevant to their lives as heroes of the light.

As I say this, I continually wish to see FF and Disney dads make it into future KH games...so I dunno...

Like Donald and Goofy are Sora’s dads and I can’t think of anybody else who could top that (besides like literally Sion from the Bouncer haha)

D

Deleted member 246005

I get why people want to see their parents but I also think the point is to show how the main heroes are their own sort of found family, and that their normal lives on the island are irrelevant to their lives as heroes of the light.

As I say this, I continually wish to see FF and Disney dads make it into future KH games...so I dunno...

Like Donald and Goofy are Sora’s dads and I can’t think of anybody else who could top that (besides like literally Sion from the Bouncer haha)
I'd play KH x Bouncer. ;).

To go with your earlier point about "Limit Cut", I just saw them cutting corners. Everyone looks the same because of budgetary reasons.

MrFranklin95

Awards
Website
www.facebook.com
@MrFranklin95 Eraqus helped me connect with Terra/Ven/Aqua more. He grounds them similar to how Twilight Town grounds Roxas. Twilight Town is a better conceived hub than Destiny Islands to me.

So giving Sora and the others a Timeskip could help them but it could also hurt them. DMC has a lot of timeskips but I don't think the cast benefits from it. Hence why I'm hoping they start fresh for DMC6.
Yeah, that's the thing also. Aqua, Terra, and Ven saw him as a father figure and that added a lot to the dymanic, espeically when it came to Eraqus' sudden betrayal and going off the deep end when it came to Ven's existence and Terra having to defend him and Aquapac reaction to all of it. It was one of the better parts of BBS that I wish got expanded on more other then just with Terra's arc so how it ended tragically would've had far more impact and the payoff to seeing them together again in KH3 before Eraqus disappears with Xehanort would've hit stronger.

That's also considering the fact that where Terra and Aqua exaxctly came from is still a mystery if you think about it more. Like, I guess they could've been born in the Land of Departure but the place doesn't seem to be more then a castle in the mountains that can transformed into Castle Obilivion by The Defender at ease and no other civilization exists beyond it... or maybe its another Destiny Islands situation, although, that would be pretty fucked considering the entire place turns into Castle Oblivion lol. But Terra and Aqua being technically orphans is an interesting part of the story I never thought of until recently that would add to their characters, even if only a little bit.

Ven himself is a whole can of worms lol although, of all the things I don't care for in Union Cross, Ven's origins was something that was actually really interesting considering I always assumed there was more to him since BBS.

Last edited:

disney233

Awards

I mean Sora got a whole freaking Disney and FF cast as his family. I can list like...a ton of Dads. I got a list somewhere, but I can't remember so...let me try to do it from scratch.

Dad - Donald, Goofy, and Jiminy
Mom - Aerith,
Crazy Uncles - Mickey, Jack Sparrow, Skellington, Genie, Mike, and Sully
Calm Aunt - Elsa, Minnie
Big Brother - Herc, Aladdin, Flynn, Kristoff, Simba, Sam Flynn, Leon
Little Brother - Pooh, Peter Pan, Quasimodo, Pinocchio,
Big Sister - Ariel, Mulan, Rapunzael, Anna, Yuffie
Little Sister - Alice
Crazy Pet - Stitch
Crazy Grandpa - Merlin, Cid, Scrooge
Fun Neighbor - Phoebes, TWEWY Gang, & HPO

Looking back there aren't a ton of dad materials except Donald, Goofy, and Jiminy.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
I was pretty interested in Sora's family life at first but now I'm kind of indifferent. I won't mind if they do show up in phase 2 but it is something I can do without

Yeah, that's the thing also. Aqua, Terra, and Ven saw him a father figure and that added a lot to the dymanic, espeically when it came to Eraqus sudden betrayal and going off the deep end when it came to Ven's existence and Terra having to defend him. It was one of the better parts of BBS that I wish got expanded on more other then just with Terra's arc.

That also considering the fact that where Terra and Aqua exaxctly came from is still a mystery if you think about it more. Like, I guess they could've been born in the Land of Departure but the place doesn't seem to be more then a castle in the mountains that can transformed into Castle Obilivion by The Defender at ease and no other civilization exists beyond it... or maybe its another Destiny Islands situation (although, that would be pretty fucked considering the entire place turns into Castle Oblivion lol) I don't know. But Terra and Aqua being technically orphans is an interesting part of the story I never thought of until recently that would add to their characters, even if only a little bit.

Ven himself is a whole can of worms lol although, of all the things I don't care for in Union Cross, Ven's origins was something that was actually really interesting considering I always assumed there was more to him since BBS.
I think Terra and Aqua are from Scala ad Caelum. We know that world is still around in the present since Mickey is heading there. They could be descendants of ancient wielders like Eraqus

MrFranklin95

Awards
Website
www.facebook.com
I was pretty interested in Sora's family life at first but now I'm kind of indifferent. I won't mind if they do show up in phase 2 but it is something I can do without

I think Terra and Aqua are from Scala ad Caelum. We know that world is still around in the present since Mickey is heading there. They could be descendants of ancient wielders like Eraqus
Yeah, same. As much as I'm harping about it, I can live without that angle being introduced in the series. I mean, we've lived for this long without it and, again, most people do not care besides funny memes about Sora still missing his dinner lol

I still just find it very odd that there is just no mention of them in anyway considering they are all still teenagers. Like, other anime stories of this type always at least have an explanation that allows the teen characters to go off on their own.

Yu Yu Hakusho - Mom is a drunk and dad left a long time ago
Full Metal Alchemist - Dad had left and the Mom died soon after
HunterxHunter - Dad left him and we know nothing about the Mom because Gon says he doesn't care to know about her

Like, Noruma could've just explained them away with a cutscene or a line or something and I wouldn't even be having this argument. And there are some throwaway lines... kind of. The whole situation is just so bizarre to me.

It could be the whole angle that Oracle mentioned that there lives outside of their homes matter more then their lives on the island. And that's a fair point that I agree on. Its not like the series isn't going for the very Disney/Fantasy esque vibe mostly aimed at kids/teens where your parents aren't a concern because its all about playing up the adventure with your friends in these magical worlds. I do understand that but, considering all the heavy lore we are now dealing with, I feel like the series has moved and evolved past that angle and vibe. I feel like knowing more about their home lives would ground these characters a lot more. And considering Riku helped blow it up in KH1 and feels immense guilt about it, that already added a lot to his character, so why not expand on that? (though, I guess its too late at this point in his arc) Plus, its kind out of character for SRK to just not give a shit about the home they came from and people who habit it, including their possible parents. Espeically Sora, who literally cares about the well being of everyone.

But, as several people have mentioned, Disney/Final Fantasy characters sort of already fill out the family role. I guess I just never saw it that way playing the series throughout. It is a good angle to look at it from that way although still, the weird logic in my brain still makes me go 🤯 but at this point in the story, its probably too late to introduce it now but I'll never say never. It could maybe possibly kind of happen... I guess? lol probably not

But yeah, Donald and Goofy will always be Sora's dads and Mickey is Riku's. I can never unsee that after KH3 lol

Also just really, really funny to me how SRK just don't care about what their parents probably think about them literally going into space to fight in a war or train in a time-warp test with a magical wizard. Kingdom hearts is weird man

Last edited:
Back