• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Do you think Vanitas will turn against Xehanort?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Castaras

I had this idea for a while now, i can defiantly see Xigbar doing this too.

What if Ventus could try and persude to Vanitas that Master Xehanort is only using him

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
I could see Vanitas turning. After all he proved in BBS that he was willing to disobey Xehanort's orders.

Though I can't see it being due to Ventus' influence. I doubt those two will ever be best buds.

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
I had this idea for a while now,
I honestly don't think Vanitas will try to defy Xehanort. This time he would have a direct grip on him because, assuming his a vessel, Vanitas will have a piece of the old man inside of him, meaning MX will have some sort of degree in terms of control and knowledge of what Vanitas is thinking.

i can defiantly see Xigbar doing this too.
Xigbar is another one I can't see defying Xehanort. To be honest, I can't see anyone trying to betray Geezernort.

What if Ventus could try and persude to Vanitas that Master Xehanort is only using him
I think Vanitas is well aware of that. If anything, he could play along and try to get a grip on whatever power Xehanort could achieve during the battle.

DarkosOverlord

Bronze Member
Awards
I'd say it's more like Xehanort won't let them defy him than them not trying to defy him. Vanitas and Braig are pretty selfish and prone to betrayal (Braig betrayed TWO groups he was in already)
But Nomura did state that as time goes on the vessels' willpower will get erased and replaced with Xehanort's.

Dunno about Vanitas. I definitely don't see Ven having such influence on him, if anything they have mutual hatred for each other, but he CAN be another redeemed character... oh well I know a lot of fans would be happy.

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
I'd say it's more like Xehanort won't let them defy him than them not trying to defy him. Vanitas and Braig are pretty selfish and prone to betrayal (Braig betrayed TWICE groups he was in already)
But Nomura did state that as time goes on the vessels' willpower will get erased and replaced with Xehanort's.

Dunno about Vanitas. I definitely don't see Ven having such influence on him, if anything they have mutual hatred for each other, but he CAN be another redeemed character... oh well I know a lot of fans would be happy.

What I can see with both Braig and Vanitas is that either or both would still continue where Xehanort left off in terms of trying to acquire godlike powers.

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards
I neither want Vanitas to turn into a good guy for stupid reasons, nor see him follow Xehanort again for even stupider ones.
I'd prefer him as a stand-alone character who doesn't want to get involved in the others' shit, maybe throwing a little help in the direction of whoever he thinks is going to be a winner occasionally, and that's that.

The thing with Ventus is: Vanitas hates him with an unbelievable passion after all those years.
The other thing is: Vanitas knows about some of Ventus's feelings, as is stated in the game, so if there was any of good guys he could trust, it would be Ventus. Thing is he still probably wouldn't.

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
I neither want Vanitas to turn into a good guy for stupid reasons, nor see him follow Xehanort again for even stupider ones.
I'd prefer him as a stand-alone character who doesn't want to get involved in the others' shit, maybe throwing a little help in the direction of whoever he thinks is going to be a winner occasionally, and that's that.

The thing with Ventus is: Vanitas hates him with an unbelievable passion after all those years.
The other thing is: Vanitas knows about some of Ventus's feelings, as is stated in the game, so if there was any of good guys he could trust, it would be Ventus. Thing is he still probably wouldn't.

I can definitely see Vanitas functioning as a wild-card in all of this tension between the Lights and Darks. I just think he'll cause trouble in the mean time Xehanort is out of the map and he can try to get any source of power that can make him more powerful.

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards
I can definitely see Vanitas functioning as a wild-card in all of this tension between the Lights and Darks. I just think he'll cause trouble in the mean time Xehanort is out of the map and he can try to get any source of power that can make him more powerful.

I'm not sure if he actually cares about power that much. All he seemed to want mainly was to fuck with some people's heads and put up some fights, but I'm not sure if he actually bothers being a super-powerful character. It's more like Xehanort probably promised him forging the keyblade would have an amazing outcome (maybe what the novels suggest, maybe something else) so he went along with it because let's be real - what other options were given to him at that point?

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
I just remembred that if Vanitas returns, it will be through time travel. If that's true then he will just return to his timeline to die again, lol.

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards
I just remembred that if Vanitas returns, it will be through time travel. If that's true then he will just return to his timeline to die again, lol.

Uh, why exactly will it necessarily be through time-travel?
Yes, BBS suggested his heart was shattered for good, then again the same should've happened to Ventus if he hadn't found a place to rest up in. Besides, KH is usually all about this "nothing is lost for good" anyway...

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
Uh, why exactly will it necessarily be through time-travel?
Yes, BBS suggested his heart was shattered for good, then again the same should've happened to Ventus if he hadn't found a place to rest up in. Besides, KH is usually all about this "nothing is lost for good" anyway...

I think whatever is left of him is dormant inside of Ventus. Besides, he could easily be one of the unknown hooded members from the end of DDD.

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards
I think whatever is left of him is dormant inside of Ventus. Besides, he could easily be one of the unknown hooded members from the end of DDD.

I mean, that's what I thought, too, but since the orchester concerts I'm not so sure anymore.
He could very well already be one of them. In fact, he probably is one of them or will be. I can see Nomura pulling some "not all of them will actually stay part of the group" though.

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards
They can easily bring him back by separating the darkness inside Ventus' heart once more.

The problem is, we learned (multiple times throughout the games) that memories and emotions, souls and hearts don't just disappear. Vanitas has a lot of own emotions and memories, possibly even some of the past that Ventus doesn't remember anymore, so he can't just "return" to him like be a part of him again. It didn't work with Roxas and Sora, so why would it work with them?

kirabook

Bronze Member
Awards
If Vanitas returns, he will surely be a wildcard. That's the only situation I can see him in other than death. His 'relationship' with Ven is a bit strange. They're technically the same person, and technically Vanitas desires to be whole again above all else. But as we can see, their union is not a good thing and the keyblade crew would never let that happen again (probably). So, at most, Vanitas is just gonna be off on his own side in solitude with occasional interactions with Ven possibly.

And I actually can see Vanitas betraying Xehanort. Not in a well planned out big scheme, but more instances of disobeying orders or throwing a tantrum kind of betrayal.

I think Braig possibly could betray Xehanort, he gives me weird vibes. I wonder how Braig is left in there because compared to Xehanort's other iterations, Braig is still mostly himself. Look at the difference between Braig's transition and Isa's.

Last edited:

alexis.anagram

pajamaモード
Awards
If Vanitas returns, he will surely be a wildcard. That's the only situation I can see him in other than death. His 'relationship' with Ven is a bit strange. They're technically the same person, and technically Vanitas desires to be whole again above all else. But as we can see, their union is not a good thing and the keyblade crew would never let that happened again (probably). So, at most, Vanitas is just gonna be off on his own side in solitude with occasional interactions with Ven possibly.

And I actually can see Vanitas betraying Xehanort. Not in a well planned out big scheme, but more instances of disobeying orders or throwing a tantrum kind of betrayal.
I agree, especially with this last part. I hope the story plays more off of the fact that Vanitas's existence is essentially composed of raw, negative emotion, and the way that ought to inform his character: while MX was tempering that volatile energy in BBS, Vanitas remained mostly cool and collected, but we saw bursts of wildness throughout his arc culminating, of course, in the almost manic impression he gives at the onset of his reunion with Ven. I think there's also a poetic value to keeping Vanitas unpredictable; his creation is one of MX's riskier endeavors, such that even he acknowledges that it was outright reckless of him to forcibly split Ven's heart-- he arrogantly invoked what might as well be the blackest magic of the KH universe in order to achieve his own ends, and with the inevitable foiling of all his best laid plans I think it would be poignant for Vanitas to betray him in some unexpected fashion and really drive that message home.

None of this means Vanitas has to become a good guy or have some redemptive arc; I think it would be more appropriate if his own destructive nature got the better of both of them. Plus, with their dynamic echoing that of a Master and an Apprentice, there's another layer of quality symbolism to work with.

DarkosOverlord

Bronze Member
Awards

I don't think he would/could trust Ven of all people, in my humble opinion.
There are basically two main "readings" about Vanitas: wild card antagonist with little to no redeeming features, and creature who didn't have a choice and deep down might actually linger for friends and contact.
While the latter is definitely LN/fanfic material, it doesn't necessarily mean it isn't possible at all.

First case is pretty basic: Vanitas is just as he appears, a strong, independent asshole who needs no man or woman. What he says is what he thinks, so in his mind Ventus is this weakling pansy.
Second viewing, he might act though to mask some need for affection. In this case, I think his sentence about how Ventus is all about his friends might indicate he envies/hates Ven for having what he does not. In no instance I am presented with a Vanitas feeling any affection towards his other half, or thinking Ventus might understand him.

So in both viewings, Vanitas doesn't seem that prone to do as Ventus might suggest.
That's all according to my personal views obviously.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards

Another thing I would say is worth pointing out is that at least by the last parts of BBS proper the feelings of hatred are more or less mutual for them both as Ventus himself clearly states that he's "through with him" and makes explicitly the point that he wants not only to destroy the X-blade alone but Vanitas too.

So far all their interactions and encounters have been 100% negative and on Ventus' side nothing but painful so based on this status quo I don't see why Ventus would even want to do an attempt on influencing/turning Vanitas around to be an "ally" or something.

I don't think he would/could trust Ven of all people, in my humble opinion.
There are basically two main "readings" about Vanitas: wild card antagonist with little to no redeeming features, and creature who didn't have a choice and deep down might actually linger for friends and contact.
While the latter is definitely LN/fanfic material, it doesn't necessarily mean it isn't possible at all.

First case is pretty basic: Vanitas is just as he appears, a strong, independent asshole who needs no man or woman. What he says is what he thinks, so in his mind Ventus is this weakling pansy.
Second viewing, he might act though to mask some need for affection. In this case, I think his sentence about how Ventus is all about his friends might indicate he envies/hates Ven for having what he does not. In no instance I am presented with a Vanitas feeling any affection towards his other half, or thinking Ventus might understand him.

So in both viewings, Vanitas doesn't seem that prone to do as Ventus might suggest.
That's all according to my personal views obviously.

I have to totally agree with this, especially since as I already stated above, all their interactions and encounters so far have been 100% negative on all fronts so there is no base/foundation for any trustbuilding-related issues for both of them as of yet.

Just because Vanitas was originally created from Ventus doesn't mean that there has to be any common ground between them or that they need to tolerate each other around themselves.

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
I know this is a really left field idea, but what if Vanitas is one of the characters that needs to be "their own person"? Everybody is led to believe that it's only Roxas, Namine and Xion that are in that category, but there's no reason as to why Vanitas can't be in that category either?

Yeah, he's clearly an antagonist with no redeeming values. But, if we know anything about Sora, it's that he sees the good in the bad. Plus, when you really come to think about it, Vanitas was always conditioned to believe that he's nothing more than "Ventus' dark half" just like how Roxas was considered to just be the "Nobody of Sora". It could give context of his music in the "Heroes and Heroines" segment in the Orchestra World Tour soundtrack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back