• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Doomsday

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forever Atlas

The World Rests On Me
Awards
So, doomsday. The end of life as we know it. We all know that there have been countless doomsday scenarios, theories, fears, and predictions. In fact, many still believe that there will be a doomsday this year in December. This topic itself isn't necessarily religious in nature, however, the article I'm basing it off of is a religiously based one that I thought we could discuss.

The article is: Doomsday - Fact, Fiction, and Fantasy (it's a PDF for now. It's not long, give it a read.)

It discusses 'The Fascination With Doomsday' and all that comes with it. It briefly brings out the movies, books, TV shows, comics, theories, etc. about Doomsday in addition to citing some scientific comments on the issue at hand.

In addition, it lists some of the different 'Doomsday Fears [That] Loom Large' such as:

• Supervolacnoes
  • Asteroids
  • Climate Change
  • Disease Pandemic
  • Nuclear War

Each of these are briefly discussed with the fact, fiction, and fantasy behind them.

Then of course it gets into the Biblical side of things and how 'Doomsday May Not Be What You Think.' This section discusses the following:

• Will The Earth and the Human Race Be Destroyed?
  • Will Any Humans Lose Their Lives?
  • Has God Acted Against Ungodly People In The Past?
  • Can We Know The Date God's Judgement Will Come?
  • Is There Any Indication That The End Will Come Soon?
  • What Does The Future Hold For Humankind On Earth?

These are answered with Bible scriptures.

The article isn't long. It only took me maybe 10 minutes to read (probably less, I wasn't really paying attention to the time). I suggest anyone interested in the topic read the article. You do not have to agree with it, but at the very least it's a good and informative read.

So, here's the topic for discussion:

Considering all of the above and the contents of the article, how do you personally feel about "Doomsday" scenarios?

Do you have a religious belief that touches on the subject whether or not there will be a doomsday type of event? If you are a Christian, do you agree with the Biblical parts of the article?

As is common on KHI: If you do not have religious beliefs, what are you feelings towards the doomsday scenarios in the article?

So, discuss all things, etc. etc. etc. Hope this goes somewhere. :)

EDIT:

Here's a link that you can read the article without having to download it. The Fascination With Doomsday

Last edited:

Cosmic+Amarna

Phantom Gigaplex
Yeah I think doomsday is real, I can't tell you exactly what happens other than what we can imagine or predict (appropriate disasters like natural calamity, or aliens, civil or political change, wars, etc.). I mean realistically, it's possible given how water is rising, overpopulation grows, economic hardship, when there are more natural forces that deal damage both to the land and inhabitants but to that economy as well, volcanoes, earthquakes, tsunamis. I think if things like this happen/keep happening(which why wouldn't they) then I think it will cause some real problems for future generations. I guess you could say I have reason from spirituality to think such a thing exists.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
Maybe it's personal fear, but I cannot fathom the world ending. It was supposed to end many times in the past twelve years alone and it didn't, and I'm not exactly a religious person, so it doesn't seem rational.

However, it's still a possibility.

Forever Atlas

The World Rests On Me
Awards
Maybe it's personal fear, but I cannot fathom the world ending. It was supposed to end many times in the past twelve years alone and it didn't, and I'm not exactly a religious person, so it doesn't seem rational.

However, it's still a possibility.

Well, there are people without religions that believe in doomsday situations. But I agree with you (as does the article which you'll see if you read it), many of the ideas are irrational.

Cosmic+Amarna

Phantom Gigaplex
Yeah I think it's futile to place a date on such a thing, I don't really subscribe to that. I also don't really envision it as a 'day' but more like a series of events that leads to the end of our current world and civilization. It could only be a day if multiple nuclear bombs were detonated or if aliens invaded to conquer, but still even then it'd be a few days or weeks, but still a sense in the way that The Day the Earth Stood Still, like one day figuratively.

king_mickey rule

The Great Destroyer
Awards
It's gonna end someday, that's for sure. But I like to not think about it 'cause, honestly, every day can be doomsday (not talking religiously here, just talking about humanity/the planet itself). If you think about that, you'll live in fear and hence, you won't live at all. But if it happens, it happens.

Of course, I'd probably shit my entire pants collection if that were to happen but I'll accept it nonetheless (don't have a choice do I? lol).

Although I'll try to keep myself and the ones around me as safe as possible. 'CAUSE I WILL HAVE MY LAST STAND GODDAMNIT! lol

Last edited:

king_mickey rule

The Great Destroyer
Awards
What if you did have a choice or a way to avoid it?

king_mickey rule said:
Although I'll try to keep myself and the ones around me as safe as possible. 'CAUSE I WILL HAVE MY LAST STAND GODDAMNIT! lol

Pretty much this :D

If something makes me live longer, I'd go for it. Then again, not too sure if I want to survive on my own. I'd have to know for sure that I can take people with me (family, friends, just random people).

Call it cliché but idk, being the only person surviving such event... it would make me crazy! I'd rather die along with everyone/everything else.

But I mean, if something would happen that potentially destroys everything on this planet/the planet itself, then I really think there's no way of escaping it. Then you will have only one choice, accept it. Which is something terrifies me. I hate the feeling of being powerless.

Ehres

` dragon dance
Awards
Personally, despite my Jewish beliefs, I believe that 'Doomsday' is 100% given and real in the canon that the world will end. I look at this from a scientific viewpoint: the sun will expand, swallowing us up in another 5 or so billion years -- that is if a global pandemic, asteroids, global warming, nuclear warfare or other such catastrophes don't get to us first. I simply think it's unreasonable to believe it won't come.

But do I believe it'll be in my lifetime? No. Jewish views on the end of the world aren't really as big as those of Christianity or Islam. We believe the Messiah will come and he will complete a set of certain tasks but by the looks of it that could be in a few generations, in several centuries or in a couple of millennia. Apparently he's supposed to bring peace, but it's a vague thing. Peace could mean life in Heaven, or 'Olam-Haba', an interesting term. Olam-Haba means 'the world to come'. It's predominantly used in afterlife context and I think for good reason. The world-to-come really could be the afterlife, not literally a post-Earth world. But I'm undecided. I hold faith in G-d but I will never claim to know any of His plans even if I read it in the Torah.

As for fear. Does it scare me? Not really. The idea of dying scares me, but death itself -- well, there's nothing to fear. Isn't much you can do about it anyway so it's sort of irrational imho.

Solar

nothing ever ends
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
i just want jesus (peace be upn him) to come back

so i can tell everyone, "I WAS RIGHT, WHAT NOW"

Taylor

Gold Member
Awards
maybe jesus and i can play some videogames if he comes back or something

they might not even have all the videogames in heaven

shit

Cosmic+Amarna

Phantom Gigaplex
maybe jesus and i can play some videogames if he comes back or something

they might not even have all the videogames in heaven

shit
Bro thats not true, they've got all the goods ones. I'm sure Jesus has beaten the mythical KH3 on critical mode a few times now, as well playing versus XIII.

Last edited:

Forever Atlas

The World Rests On Me
Awards
As for fear. Does it scare me? Not really. The idea of dying scares me, but death itself -- well, there's nothing to fear. Isn't much you can do about it anyway so it's sort of irrational imho.

But what of the Doomsdays that do not demand that life perishes?

Jesus

Hater-bending
Awards
I am a Muslim and doomsday, or The Day of Judgement as its usually referred in the Quran, is real and is inevitable.

The Quran says that The Day of Judgement will definitely occur, but not after a number of minor and major "signs" pass. There are a lot so I'm not gonna list them all, but here are a few of both.

Minor signs:
Adultry and fornication will become prevalent in society (pretty much already happened)
Widespread killings will occur across the world (well that's another that's happened)

Major signs:
The sun will rise from the west
Jesus' second coming
A giant beast will appear, destroying everything

Luckily most of the major signs have yet to occur so we cool

Solar

nothing ever ends
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
I am a Muslim and doomsday, or The Day of Judgement as its usually referred in the Quran, is real and is inevitable.

The Quran says that The Day of Judgement will definitely occur, but not after a number of minor and major "signs" pass. There are a lot so I'm not gonna list them all, but here are a few of both.

Minor signs:
Adultry and fornication will become prevalent in society (pretty much already happened)
Widespread killings will occur across the world (well that's another that's happened)

Major signs:
The sun will rise from the west
Jesus' second coming
A giant beast will appear, destroying everything

Luckily most of the major signs have yet to occur so we cool

Also an Anti-Christ figure will mess things up.

It's only when the Sea of Galilee dries up, then we're screwed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back