• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Dragon Quest 35th Anniversary!

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
I read an article that said the game is best played as a bedtime story. So I’ve taken that approach with my Switch playthrough, only playing for like 30 minutes to an hour each night. I loved it the first time when I binged it on PS4, but I think this really is the best way to experience the game without getting burned out from the soundtrack and other elements that feel repetitive.
In my case, I'll turn my room's light off and play it that way in dock mode LOL

Veevee

Awards
I am now at the point that the overworld music annoys the heck out of me. Really. It's kinda awful.

EDIT: Also, I love Sylvando. What a guy. It's great such a personality finally made it into a JRPG without being a comedic laughingstock.

Last edited:

Luminary

Bronze Member
Awards
I’m excited to see the Definitive Edition coming to more consoles. I just wish they’d offer it as a DLC if we already bought it on PS4. I don’t think I can justify paying full price for the game a 3rd time. 😅

Edit: Glad to hear that it is at least only $40 rather than $60. I can't say it would be worth it to buy it again when I already have both vanilla and definitive, but I would highly recommend it to anyone who hasn’t played the Definitive Edition yet.

Last edited:

Veevee

Awards
I’m excited to see the Definitive Edition coming to more consoles. I just wish they’d offer it as a DLC if we already bought it on PS4. I don’t think I can justify paying full price for the game a 3rd time. 😅

Edit: Glad to hear that it is at least only $40 rather than $60. I can't say it would be worth it to buy it again when I already have both vanilla and definitive, but I would highly recommend it to anyone who hasn’t played the Definitive Edition yet.

Man, I recently finished the vanilla version and was so mad that they NOW announced the Definitive Edition for PS4. Still, I'm super happy it happens and will one day probably buy that thing. I surely agree it should be offered as a DLC though.

Are there already news about DQ12? Or some more DQ games for the Switch?

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Man, I recently finished the vanilla version and was so mad that they NOW announced the Definitive Edition for PS4. Still, I'm super happy it happens and will one day probably buy that thing. I surely agree it should be offered as a DLC though.

Are there already news about DQ12? Or some more DQ games for the Switch?

Feel you on that. A friend of mine let me borrow his copy of DQ11 for PS4, but then the Definitive Edition came out on the Switch and I ended up getting that. Now this one is coming to PS4 so I've played through two versions and I'm frustrated at this third one. I'm trash, though, so I'll buy it again because I love DQ11 xD

No news on DQ12 or anymore Switch ports. It's been eerily quiet on that end. It'd be nice if they announced a new one soon, though.

Max

"There's always money in the banana stand."
Staff member
Awards
I'm super hyped for the 35th anniversary! I have a wishlist of announcements I'd love to hear:

1. Dragon Quest X localization. Probably the least likely thing to be announced, as Dragon Quest 10 came out in 2012 in Japan, but it's most recent expansion was in 2019 and a man can dream. I've met up with some people on Discord who have some amazing translation tools to instantly translate the Japanese text to English, so I actually have that all set up on my laptop waiting for me when they don't announce this localization.

2. Dragon Quest 9 remake for Switch! Do it! Have all of the content there from the start and the online functionality!

3. Other remakes! Maybe the rumored Dragon Quest 3 remake? Imagine Dragon Quest 3 running the same graphics and engine as 11! That would be amazing! Even more amazing would be a remake of 5 in 11's engine!

4. More Switch ports! Port the 3ds version of 7 and 8 (or do a perfect package of 8, even better!), give us the Zenithian trilogy of 4, 5, and 6 on Switch! Make Switch the one-stop-shop for the main series!

5. I will take literally any more spinoffs, give us some more Monsters, port the old spinoffs (Yangus Mystery Dungeon please?), Builders 3, Heroes 3, you name it I'll take it! This series literally has the best quality spinoffs. Hell, PLEASE give us Theaterythm Dragon Quest, I hate that it exists and we never got it.

6. Dragon Quest The Adventure of Dai: Infinity Strash PS4/PS5. God I hope this game gets localized, the trailer looked fun and I had a great time with that manga. Haven't watched either of the anime adaptations yet, but this game would be a really fun way to experience the story.

7. Dragon Quest 12: this is the bottom of my wishlist. Not because I don't want it! Just because I already know that it's coming, so I can be patient for that while I hope for these other more unlikely items.

Of course we won't hear most of these announcements, but if even one or two of them are in the cards for us, then that will be very exciting!

Luminary

Bronze Member
Awards
I’m watching Dragon Quest Your Story right now to get into the DQ spirit. Lol

EDIT: I want to know who did the subtitles for this and have a conversation with them.

Last edited:

Rydgea

keeps leaving X-mas decor up year-round.
Awards
Website
backloggery.com
If you guys had to recommend ONE Dragon Quest game what would it be? I'm seeing a lot of hype around XI, it was VIII on the PS2 when it initially caught my eye and IX on the DS had some strong marketing that wedged its way into my sight. At this point, I have no idea where to start with the series.

Hope you all get good news today!

Last edited:

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
If you guys had to recommend ONE Dragon Quest game what would it be? I'm seeing a lot of hype around XI, it was XIII on the PS2 when it initially caught my eye and IX on the DS had some strong marketing that wedged its way into my sight. At this point, I have no idea where to start with the series.

I'd personally say start with XI since it's so easily accessible. It's a perfect love letter to the past games while still being an amazing and good new title.

Max

Staff member
Awards
If you guys had to recommend ONE Dragon Quest game what would it be? I'm seeing a lot of hype around XI, it was XIII on the PS2 when it initially caught my eye and IX on the DS had some strong marketing that wedged its way into my sight. At this point, I have no idea where to start with the series.

What do you prefer to play on? If you're more about modern consoles like PS4 or Switch, it's hard not to recommend Dragon Quest 11.

If you're cool with playing on your phone, the mobile ports of 1-6 are all extremely well done. Do you like a deep job system? 3 might be up your alley. Prefer one of the most personal stories in JRPG history? Then you can't go wrong with Dragon Quest 5. Want a stellar cast of characters? Then Dragon Quest 4. Are you a lore nut? Then the way the trilogy of 1, 2, and 3 build off of each other is fantastic. Same can be said for the trilogy of 4, 5, and 6, these also have some great lore carry-over across games (mind you these are all mainly stand alone, don't feel like you have to play them all).

You down with 3ds or PS2? Can't go wrong with Dragon Quest 8.

It really comes down to your preference on gameplay/mechanical depth, story, characters, or console preference. They're really all fantastic though.

Luminary

Bronze Member
Awards
Dragon Quest XII: The Flames of Fate officially announced along with an HD-2D remake of Dragon Quest III, an Erik and Mia-centric game titled Dragon Quest Treasures. All three are planned for a simultaneous worldwide release.

They said Flames of Fate would be like a Dragon Quest for adults and they will be making some changes to the combat system. I’m hoping maybe they’re taking queues from FFVIIR to keep the command inputs but making it feel more like real time action. No footage shown. Just the logo.

The remake of III looks amazing in the Octopath Traveler art style. I was actually playing Octopath when the stream started and this was completely unexpected and made me so happy.

Last edited:

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
-III HD-2D might be multi-platform. Switch already has a version of DQ3 on it so making it Switch exclusive doesn't makes sense to me & Playstation is rapidly losing ground in Japan so it I doubt it'll be PS4/5 exclusive either. I & II are apparently getting similar treatment (which also already have Switch versions). Kinda wish they would put more resources on IV/V/VI instead or even a IX remake.

-XII is quite the mystery, a darker entry that feels quite uncharacteristic of the series. It's the sort of thing that either takes the whole franchise into a whole new direction, or utterly falls on its ass as an example of something being too edgelord for its own good. There's no middle grounds with these things. & the coyness on platforms is giving me "XI on NX" flashbacks. Switch Pro's reveal is apparently just around the corner I hear.

-STILL can't get X out of Japan -_-. Maybe there's hope for that offline version, (wonder if FF11 & 14 will ever get similar offline treatments?). But man what gives with this game?

-No Builders 3 for my obsessed girlfriend. :( Oh well.

-So am I alone in wanting a Swords sequel? Would be perfect for VR.

-Using novelty erasers as the premise for a match 3 game is 1 of those super obvious in hindsight concepts that you kick yourself for not thinking of sooner.

-Shame we gotta wait longer for a new Monsters. I remember seeing the 3DS entry & thinking that'll be my jumping on point with the subseries but then it never came stateside.

Rydgea

keeps leaving X-mas decor up year-round.
Awards
Website
backloggery.com
@Oracle Spockanort That does seem to be the most prominent. Doing a little bit of research on XI's definitive edition, it really looks incredible.

@Max You know, I'd normally say PS4, except I literally just breathed new life into my 3DS with a cleaning, some Ghost Armor, finally got a protective case for my now 10 year old launch machine. Oh, and I just jailbroke it, so there's some interesting homebrew me to finally play with. If VIII has been ported to 3DS (the one that caught my eye on PS2 all those years ago), I might just do that!

And of course the new stuff looks rad.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
If you guys had to recommend ONE Dragon Quest game what would it be? I'm seeing a lot of hype around XI, it was VIII on the PS2 when it initially caught my eye and IX on the DS had some strong marketing that wedged its way into my sight. At this point, I have no idea where to start with the series.

Well the newly announced DQ3HD2D probably also works as a stepping on point.

Max

Staff member
Awards
Dragon Quest 3 HD 2D had me smiling so wide, it's absolutely gorgeous! And that Yuhi Horii mentioned he'd love to do that for 1 and 2 also makes me so happy. I started the series with 1 and started working my way up chronologically, so that original trilogy has a solid place in my heart and seeing it get such love and care here is great.

Also glad to see the Erik prequel spinoff is alive and coming to us!

And Dragon Quest 12... Well, we knew it existed. We still know it exists. Haha, I guess I'm not surprised at the teaser, next time I suppose we'll see more. I want to see the hero at the very least.

Finally though, the one thing that left a bad taste in my mouth: It was a little cruel what they did with the Dragon Quest X trailer here. Not only did they not air that during the Japan-only portion of the stream, but they also waited until partway through the trailer to pop up the message "no planned worldwide release." Our hopes were already low for this as it was, but the way it was presented in those regards was thoughtless. The chat I was in was so pumped, everyone like "it's happening! This is it!" Only for everyone to collectively groan and scratch their heads at the message.

Back