• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Dream Drop Distance HD Confirmed in X[chi]?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Antifa Lockhart

Awards
If it releases for the PS4 but is using those models...well, mm. Not quite type 0 is it? Not that I'd mind so much, it'd give me more to play on the ps4 when I get it.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
on one hand, this all sounds too good to be true.

but on the other hand, i remember last time our good staff secretly knew info about a kh game lol

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
Nomura confirmed back when BBS came out that it has nothing to do with Utada or Disney. They have yet to disclose what the legal matter is.
^^^^^^^^

I really can't tell if they'd just throw it on the PS3 or on the PS4. Oh poor sweet Nomura, so full of good intentions to have the series on one console but it is still never going to be. xD

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Jump Festa line up got revealed, but keep in mind that Square Enix OFTEN have games at the event that they don't advertise so there's still potential for a Kingdom Hearts!

1782464_10204842342400457_4198190451282860871_o.jpg

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
Jump Festa line up got revealed, but keep in mind that Square Enix OFTEN have games at the event that they don't advertise so there's still potential for a Kingdom Hearts!

i i i i I I UM

well i'm looking forward to jump festa

kreezy64

Awards

It's funny seeing XV on there finally lol but what's Brave Exvius?

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
Why no choice? Why couldn't it be on a disc?

She's not saying it can't be on a disc. Rather, it's required that all PS4 titles be made available digitally.

Blackdrazon

Vulpes Chronicler
Awards
I'm more excited for Dimensions 2 / The Space-Time Crystal, myself, just because it's likely to be a full game.

(I also hold out hope that Square will keep porting its new, full games to Steam and you won't need a smartphone, but it has to be localized first... I know, neither of those steps are likely. Localization being unlikely in general, and FFIII and IV have been brought to Steam but Dimensions, V and VI haven't, so something must be special about III and IV.)

Last edited:

Zephyr

Memory of Melodies
Staff member
Awards
I'm looking forward to seeing more of Bravely Second and Final Fantasy Explorers. I just barely realized there is no release date estimate for Bravely Second so hopefully they will announce that.

Brightcrest

I may sound like a total cynic, but I just don't think that KH 3D HD makes a whole ton of sense right now, for three reasons:

1. The game is designed for the 3DS.
Dream Drop Distance, unlike Birth By Sleep or other titles was made for a current gen system, moreover it was designed specifically for the 3DS. I think that due to this, they couldn't port it to a formal platform unless they ported it over to the Wii U, which to me is the only system that could support dual screen platform play. This was the case with both of the other DS titles, which were passed over due to the fact that they would be very difficult to port to a non dual screen system. If they did this however, it would kind of subvert their plans to have all the games on one system, and would kind of defeat the point of it being remade in the first place, and boil it down to merely a graphical and hardware update.

2. Kingdom Hearts 3D is the shortest game in the series.
Yes, I said it, KH3D was just a short game. Almost every other Kingdom Hearts game features at least 13 unique worlds, whereas DDD only had 7 worlds. If you count the worlds twice because of the dual story lines, I suppose you'd end up with 14 worlds, but there were really only 7 -Levels- per se. Besides, judging by that rule, Birth By Sleep would have 36 levels, since each character featured a total of 12 playable levels. Due to this, I don't think they'd be able to realistically push their efforts from Kingdom Hearts 3 just to churn out another remaster, especially since it'd be stand alone. There are no other games left to package it with, so it'd be kind of underwhelming.

3. They could just cover it in cutscenes in KH3.
In the previous Kingdom Hearts titles like 3D, for those who had not played preceding games they featured articles, or in 3D's case the chronicles sections. Also there were optional cutscenes which explained the storyline of the game, as well as the backstory of others. Several people theorize that just because it was featured in the credits of 2.5 it must be its own standalone game. I think it more likely that since it was included next to footage of 3, it'll most likely be included in 3 as either a way to catch people up via cutscenes, or chronicles. After all, the game was just a big filler until the end anyway, as basically nothing of substance was revealed until the game's climax, other than perhaps the Nobody's return.

At any rate, I think it very unlikely that they would remake a game as a standalone title that is relatively new, unplayable on PS3, short, and overall very sum-uppable. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love 3D, it was my first KH game! I would buy the living crap out of it! I love 3D, I just don't think it's that plausible a title.

Antifa Lockhart

Awards
I may sound like a total cynic, but I just don't think that KH 3D HD makes a whole ton of sense right now, for three reasons:

1. The game is designed for the 3DS.
Dream Drop Distance, unlike Birth By Sleep or other titles was made for a current gen system, moreover it was designed specifically for the 3DS. I think that due to this, they couldn't port it to a formal platform unless they ported it over to the Wii U, which to me is the only system that could support dual screen platform play. This was the case with both of the other DS titles, which were passed over due to the fact that they would be very difficult to port to a non dual screen system. If they did this however, it would kind of subvert their plans to have all the games on one system, and would kind of defeat the point of it being remade in the first place, and boil it down to merely a graphical and hardware update.

3D more or less was made with the same engine as Birth by Sleep, for different platforms yes, but it would be about the same to port over. You're right that it would have to be overhauled a bit, but so? The WiiU thing will never, ever, ever happen so yes what they would have to do would be overhaul the gameplay. Which they could do easily than they could the other handhelds because this HD remaster would be a standalone title and so all the resources and time could go to improving it, besides if they were to take their time with it they could really make it stand out.

2. Kingdom Hearts 3D is the shortest game in the series.
No, it's not. That honor goes to Re:coded.
Yes, I said it, KH3D was just a short game. Almost every other Kingdom Hearts game features at least 13 unique worlds, whereas DDD only had 7 worlds. If you count the worlds twice because of the dual story lines, I suppose you'd end up with 14 worlds, but there were really only 7 -Levels- per se. Besides, judging by that rule, Birth By Sleep would have 36 levels, since each character featured a total of 12 playable levels. Due to this, I don't think they'd be able to realistically push their efforts from Kingdom Hearts 3 just to churn out another remaster, especially since it'd be stand alone. There are no other games left to package it with, so it'd be kind of underwhelming.
Don't devalue 3D's world selection because it's smaller. The worlds themselves are HUGE. On average, it takes about 37.4 hours to complete. That's longer than re:coded and Days and even a little longer than Chain of Memories.

Again, considering it's just by itself, that leaves more time to work on it. A very small team has been able to put together the collections one a year, and they've all had more content in them and more to remaster. 3D would require some restructuring, but it wouldn't be as difficult or time consuming by itself. Also, Osaka doesn't have to be the only Square team to working on these games.

3. They could just cover it in cutscenes in KH3.
In the previous Kingdom Hearts titles like 3D, for those who had not played preceding games they featured articles, or in 3D's case the chronicles sections. Also there were optional cutscenes which explained the storyline of the game, as well as the backstory of others. Several people theorize that just because it was featured in the credits of 2.5 it must be its own standalone game. I think it more likely that since it was included next to footage of 3, it'll most likely be included in 3 as either a way to catch people up via cutscenes, or chronicles. After all, the game was just a big filler until the end anyway, as basically nothing of substance was revealed until the game's climax, other than perhaps the Nobody's return.

At any rate, I think it very unlikely that they would remake a game as a standalone title that is relatively new, unplayable on PS3, short, and overall very sum-uppable. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love 3D, it was my first KH game! I would buy the living crap out of it! I love 3D, I just don't think it's that plausible a title.

I think it's more plausible than you think, I'm curious as to how they will handle it, but I'm confident we haven't seen the last of it.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
All this means is another year without Kingdom Hearts 3 to keep fans at bay and preoccupied by another stupid re-hash....AAAAAAAAAARGH!!

Says the guy with a KH3D screenshot in his signature.

Regardless if KH3D HD is a thing or not, KH3 still won't be coming anytime soon.

Blackdrazon

Vulpes Chronicler
Awards
The KH3D remake would likely be made by the team who created the 1.5 and 2.5 HD remakes. It's not like they're taking them off of the project, more like they never got on to it.

Besides, I can't be the only one who feels like a massive audience complaining about the story being related to "portable spinoffs" is going to impact KH3's quality as much as any actual quality faults from the game itself. Clearly Square feels that way. Constant, shrill negative feedback that goes on for years after the fact has a way of doing that.

Does anyone remember when everyone was complaining about the 3DS being an "obscure, failed" system and so they didn't/couldn't buy KH3D when it was on the shelves and widely available, making it the worst sold game in the series that isn't a remake, besides coded, despite being an essential part of the story of KH3? (It eventually outsold BBS in North America if the data I've got here is right, but that wasn't the case at the time, let me tell you.) I remember that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back