• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

News ► Dual wielding returns with Kingdom Hearts III's Oathkeeper and Oblivion new formchange

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

drew0512

Awards
Where is this source for this requirement?
No source because it wasn't confirmed, only speculated. It could be similar to what happened to the Starlight keyblade: if you meet the requirements (proof of promises and proof of times past) you can start a new game with them, otherwise you'll just unlock them at some poin during the story.

Zetsumei

Awards
Hnnnnnnnnnng oathkeeper and oblivion being used as they should be

That went out when Roxas came back with both xD

Dual wielding was a thing even before roxas.

For example in the xemnas battle in KH2, riku tosses his way to dawn keyblade to sora who then uses it with his own keyblade to fight Xemnas.

Also Riku had his own keyblade and Kairi's keyblade before he gave it to kairi. While we never saw him use it. He must have at least been able to summon it in order to give it to her.

Twilight Lumiair

Awards
Not only your comment personally comes off as unnecessarily hostile but you are also expressing an opinion/complaint while explicitly stating that you don't care about what other people say.
It's pretty superficial and you are also judging something adamantly, despite not knowing how it will work yet. It just seems complaining for the sake for it.
Hostile? Complaining for the sake of it?

The very first thing I said was:
Mmm... I really didn't want this to turn into a debate, but I should know you guys better at this point, lol

I'm just defending my stance, lol. It was never meant to come off as aggressive in any way. Still, I apologise if it sounded like I being condescending or spiteful though (I can see how one might feel that way). I'll try to be more careful about how I word my post in the future. :)

To clarify, it's not that I don't care what people say (if I didn't I wouldn't be responding), but more that I find the whole situation silly regardless of the theories people construct. They're responses simply haven't changed my feelings; that's all I meant, really.

Dual wielding was a thing even before Roxas.

For example in the Xemnas battle in KH2, Riku tosses his Way to Dawn keyblade to Sora who then uses it with his own keyblade to fight Xemnas.

Also Riku had his own keyblade and Kairi's keyblade before he gave it to kairi. While we never saw him use it. He must have at least been able to summon it in order to give it to her.
Actually, we first saw dual wielding in the Roxas vs Axel fight (and even earlier in Deep Dive from KH1), but I get what you're trying to say, lol. It's more likely Riku did what the MoM does, and pulled Kairi's Keyblade from the depths her heart so she could use it. Buuuut even if he didn't, Riku technically didn't have his own Keyblade summoned in that moment regardless XD

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
This looks pretty awesome. I'm guessing this is the second stage of Dark Form and Light Form. I can't wait for Thursday, these next two work days will be hard to get through.

I wonder, if we'll get an explanation as to why Sora and Roxas can still dual wield. Though I think the original explanation was never in the games itself, so I guess it's a retcon outside of the main cannon.

Absent

Nomura's Biggest Fan
Awards
It’s funny really. Some Kingdom Hearts fans are known to defend Nomura’s writing by using his interviews as proof that the lore makes sense and suddenly it’s ok for it not to make sense like it’s a new policy?
They came up with a reason for a game mechanic(kh2) and honestly I wasn’t mad that Roxas wasn’t explained but at least I want consistency from the series that thought it was important to explain Mickey’s shirt.

Zahnpaste

Heh... Bye bye lore. Thought you needed two hearts to pull this off, but I guess we're saying it's ok now, right? 😜 Gotta love the power of fan service, lol.
I'm pretty sure that when KH2 came out, Nomura said that Sora is wielding only 1 keyblade all the time. When Sora has two keyblades in his forms, he actually is using only one keyblade. The second one is only a phantom/Illusion made by his powers. Maybe the same explanation will be used in KH3.
But maybe I just misremember this all.

Ryuman

Awards
Website
twitter.com
To be fair only Roxas is the only one breaking lore in an explicitly canon sense. Double form can just be a gameplay element like many other things in the series. That said, for a boy who routinely acts as a wildcard to break the supposed laws of the universe, some people sure do care about him following lore "rules" lol. There's plenty of easy explanations that would satisfy.

Mirby

Too many games too little time
Awards
Website
twitch.tv
There isn’t a source but it is very clear that the Proofs are essential to these new Keyblades as they have their emblems on them, and the only way to get Proof of Times Past is by beating Critical mode.
guess i'm not getting these keyblades then ;_;

rokudamia2

Dream eater ally.
Awards
It’s funny really. Some Kingdom Hearts fans are known to defend Nomura’s writing by using his interviews as proof that the lore makes sense and suddenly it’s ok for it not to make sense like it’s a new policy?
They came up with a reason for a game mechanic(kh2) and honestly I wasn’t mad that Roxas wasn’t explained but at least I want consistency from the series that thought it was important to explain Mickey’s shirt.

because fans whined that they couldn’t duel wield so screw the lore he’s duel wielding now.

Also what Ryuman said.

Last edited:

Absent

Nomura's Biggest Fan
Awards
To be fair only Roxas is the only one breaking lore in an explicitly canon sense. Double form can just be a gameplay element like many other things in the series. That said, for a boy who routinely acts as a wildcard to break the supposed laws of the universe, some people sure do care about him following lore "rules" lol. There's plenty of easy explanations that would satisfy.

There’s is an in universe explanation for Roxas, his body is a Replica. CoM and Days show and tell us that given the right data and memories, Replicas can recreate appearances and weapons. The prologue makes a big deal about Roxas’ data because it’s vital for his body recreation. The game gives us context for that, not so much Sora.

Which is simple really, all they have to say his clothes gave the ability to duplicate his Keyblade.

Enturax

Awards
Hope we don't have to start the game from the beginning (or before the Keyblade Graveyard stuff happened) to play through all the new content.

D

Deleted member 252753

I can't really defend Nomura's constant trashing of his own lore but I wouldn't be surprised if we do get some kind of reason. For example, if Sora's heart travels back into the past in ReMind and inhabits his past self, then arguably he will have two hearts inside him, albeit both 'Sora'.

2 quid is good

Awards
Dual wielding was a thing even before roxas.

For example in the xemnas battle in KH2, riku tosses his way to dawn keyblade to sora who then uses it with his own keyblade to fight Xemnas.

Errr, both of these things came after Roxas, and at the end of KH2 at least, Sora had Roxas' heart in him so he could dual wield. As for Kairi I'm pretty sure he wasn't holding both keyblades at once but I haven't watched that scene in a while so

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
I don't really care either way about dual-wielding myself--I know many were big fans of it, it never really made any difference to me--but I can see Twilight Lumiair's point at the same time. I gave up on the lore along the way though, so that must be why it's not a big deal for me. :p I was also fine with Shotlocks and other things even though Sora was supposed to be weaker than ever.

Last edited:

SweetYetSalty

Awards
There’s is an in universe explanation for Roxas, his body is a Replica. CoM and Days show and tell us that given the right data and memories, Replicas can recreate appearances and weapons. The prologue makes a big deal about Roxas’ data because it’s vital for his body recreation. The game gives us context for that, not so much Sora.

Which is simple really, all they have to say his clothes gave the ability to duplicate his Keyblade.
I assumed Roxas data from digi-Twilight Town, which has his dual wielding power, was the reason he can still do it. I also suspect his Keyblades are like Xion's. Replica Keyblades.

I don't really care either way about dual-wielding myself--I know many were big fans of it, it never really made any difference to me--but I can see Twilight Lumiair's point at the same time. I gave up on the lore myself though, so that must be why it's not a big deal for me. :p I was also fine with Shotlocks and other things even though Sora was supposed to be weaker than ever.
Glad I'm not the only one who wasn't concerned with dual-wielding. Like it's cool and all but of all the problems with KH3, the lack of dual-wielding was not one of them for me.

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
I assumed Roxas data from digi-Twilight Town, which has his dual wielding power, was the reason he can still do it. I also suspect his Keyblades are like Xion's. Replica Keyblades.
This possibility also crossed my mind, makes sense seeing he's in a replica body. I figure that Xion's Keyblade in KH3 is still a replica Keyblade. Not that I don't think she and Roxas aren't worthy I just feel like they haven't been picked by their own keyblades yet.

Ryuman

Awards
Website
twitter.com
Kinda forgot Xion had a fake Keyblade. So what, everyone is headcanoning that Roxas' are shams now too lol? That doesn't really make sense considering he wasn't created as a replica.

Whatever happened to Keyblade sharing? That would open the way for so many loopholes regarding who owns their own Keyblade and how many of them exist at the same time. Is that oldschool fanon? Am I out of touch?

Back