• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Duh: Riku, Vanitas, and Xehanort's battle stance

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

G-SANtos

Awards
So, I saw this thread, and it got me thinking about this topic. Riku, Vanitas, and Xehanort all use the same stance. In Vanitas's case the reason is obvious: He was trained by Xehanort.

But then there's Riku. We see that he uses that same long before coming in contact with Xehanort. Specifically, Re:CoM shows Riku using that stance when he was a kid.
So, what could be the connection between Riku and Xehanort that makes them choose the same stance? After thinking for a bit, I came to a conclusion. First, what do Riku and Xehanort have in common? They are both from Destiny Islands. So what about their battle stance? Simple: That is a traditional swordman stance from Destiny Islands. Not everyone uses it, as seen by Sora, but the stance comes from there.

So, what do you think?

Vmkblaster1

It is curious why they have similar stances... But it doesn't matter if vanitas has the same stance, because master xehanort has a different stance than young xehanort... And vanitas wasn't trained by young xehanort... And the stance doesn't matter based on their master... Terra and Aqua carry the keyblade both differently from their master! But anyway, The three of them connect somehow, I don't know how... But they will and it probably will surprise all of us! KH3 needs to come out NOW! :/

DefiantHeart

Awards
I'd imagine Riku is simply the "what if" scenario, in which Riku is basically the Xehanort that has Sora as a friend to guide his path. Nomura is just pointing this out symbolically by having them with the same stance.

Luxu

Awards
Everyone has different fighting styles, Sora was never properly trained thus his "incorrect" stance in KH1. As he matured Sora changed his fighting stance ever so slightly, making it more proper. As for Vanitas, Xehanort, and Riku. He fights like that and always has (Though it seems that he seems to share the "point" stance with Skuld, however whether or not this is correct is still out in the air) as for Vanitas and Xehanort, they all fight properly but you would think. Because Vanitas is a part of Ventus, that he would fight similar to that of Ven. But that is not the case, unlike Roxas and Xion who fight nearly identical to him.

DarkosOverlord

Bronze Member
Awards
Probably symbolism and maybe foreshadowing.
As for know Riku (especially kid Riku) never had any interaction with the two.

Should I go and give a fanfiction answer, kid Riku knew about the "legend" of Xehanort leaving his World, so maybe he was trying to imitate him and copied his fighting style (which was known by the folks back at home).

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards
Luxu said:
Because Vanitas is a part of Ventus, that he would fight similar to that of Ven. But that is not the case, unlike Roxas and Xion who fight nearly identical to him.

As for Vanitas and Ventus, you could argue that their fighting poses are supposed to be as contrary as possible with Ventus holding his keyblade down, behind himself and his second arm quite close to the body, while Vanitas's keyblade is in front of himself, high up and his second hand outstretched.
Or it's really only because SE was a biiiit lazy there :p

Last edited:

BlackOsprey

Hell yeah
Awards
Given that the stance that all 3 use is a viable, real-life swordfighting stance, it could very well be from them studying the art and going with an actual tried-and-true technique. Vanitas probably got his stance from being trained by Geezernort and to add to the red herring that would make his likeness to Sora more surprising.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back