• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Elder Scrolls VI

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Orion

Prepared To Die
Awards
Re: Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - With Horse Armor!

>no spears. in the podcast, todd said there will be no spears&polearms. concept art was just for looks
>magic staves removed
>no return of crossbows (todd thinks they're stupid. Oblivion NPC m'aiq confirms this)
>no throwing weapons (they won't do crossbows or spears, so why this?)
>spellmaking removed (i'm gonna miss this. it was fun seeing all the things you could do)
>less spells (no spell combinations, such as ice+fire = water blast etc. bethesda said it'd be too much work)
>level scaled gear&dungeons. dungeons lock on the level you had when first entering them (not the point of an rpg)
>same developers, same ugly graphics and animations. NPC in the scan was ugly, even though they probably put an hour into perfecting it
>attributes were removed (todd said "they're just numbers that increase", no joke)
>UI inspired by Apple. UI will have no mouse support as said by todd (also shown in the scans). it's pretty much just scroll&select since todd likes consoles
>PC is a port from consoles (in the podcast, todd says he prefers consoles as a platform)
>regenerating health, instant-heal potions, and instant-heal waiting remain
>fast travel, and quest compass remain. whole game was made with fast travel in mind. copypasta landscape returns
If this all turns out to be true, I don't want the game anymore.
If the developers want to make this many ass-backwards, pants-on-head retarded decisions, I honestly refuse to grace their product with a purchase. If it apparently is less than total shit when it comes out, I'll give it a pirate to take a peek. It just seems to me Bethesda is trying to improve Skyrim from Oblivion in every way they can except for how the game itself actually plays and works.
I can't actually listen to the below podcast at the moment, but God I hope it proves much of this to be wrong or misinterpreted.
Special Edition Podcast: Todd Howard Skyrim Q&A - Podcasts - www.GameInformer.com

Awards

Hahaha, look at everything I've posted man. Like almost EVERYTHING besides the no spears shit is either false or loosely based on things that were said, but misinterpreted and/or put in terrible context. This is obviously just someone spouting bullshit because they either A) hate the series as is or B) hate Bethesda since Oblivion.

Honestly, don't listen to that shit. I don't post anything unless it's 100% true and backed up with viable resources, but good or bad if there's news on it I've posted it. I also listened to the podcast, and gave rundowns on it. Like I said, this is just someone being a bitch. No worries.

Orion

Prepared To Die
Awards

Thank God.

Awards

more on no spears and perks said:
“Each skill has its own perk tree,” Howard said. “So take one handed for instance. The idea is, you have a one-handed skill, and then you can perk that – there’s like a skill tree, underneath one-handed. Within that there are separate perk areas for maces and then axes and then swords. So opposed to having, say, an axe skill, that is a part of the perk tree within one-handed. We think that … gives us a better balance. You can start like ‘I like one-handed stuff’ and then you start specializing as you raise that skill.”

“We tend to each time start over, and we want to find weapon types with this game that really yield gameplay, So those skills are separate. There’s a two-handed weapon skill, there’s a one-handed weapon-skill, there’s an archery skill. … Because those really are play styles."

“Within each of those trees there are different weapon types that you can then get better at. Without saying what they all are, so they actually have a gameplay difference," “There are not spears in the classic spear sense. I’m sorry, there are currently not. Something like spears is really cool, it’s just something with where we’re putting our time with the other weapons. It just didn’t make the cut right now.”

Spoiler Spoiler Show

-These are still just GameInformer scans, so the information isn't new, but damn are these prettier:
http://i.imgur.com/lqM00.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/H7KxY.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/ikgrd.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/QT5zC.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/SRfjJ.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/7yBl1.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/804nz.jpg

Awards

Thanks to Cratesmasher off the bethsoft forums. Info from the new Euro mag, Gamereactor:
According to the article:
'Shouts' are always longer sentences which are divided into smaller parts. The more of the sentence you get to pronounce, the more powerful is the effect of the activated ability.

Dragons.... can appear anywhere in the world. Some times you might see a dragon in the horizon, other times you might find find a dragon in a remote cave, nothing is predetermined.

Different enemies get better [as you level] at different speeds, and different areas have different level ceilings.

[Skyrim] is markedly different from competing games, where we get to see neon-sparkling armours and swords that could be mistaken for jewelry. [So Skyrim is more realistic]

[Todd Howard tells about how good Oblivion felt after you came out of the starting dungeon. He went back and played it and walked around and enjoyed the atmosphere then....] "... then I saw one of the NPCs in our game and I froze in terror. What is this thing doing in our game !? What is Jay Leno doing in our game !? We are of course aware that some thing must be changed."

The surroundings are detailed down to microscopic level with dynamic snow, an updated physics engine and living light effects. What strikes me the most about Skyrim is how the game really lures you into believing that you're part of a breathing, organic world. The figures look like living creatuers that continue to live their lives even when the player is not interacting with them. For example: every little community works as a eco-system with inhabitants that do fishing, baking and smithing.... it's a sound goodbye to Bethesda's regular dolls and stiff robot personalities.

[In answer to what Todd thought about the claim that Beth's games had been dumbed down to cater to casual gamers...] "Oblivion's greatest strength, I think, was first and foremost that we had managed to create a game that also appealed to people who did not love roleplaying games. Or at least didn't know they loved RPGs... Skyrim continues this tradition and will be a game for both casual players and hardcore RPG zealots. This is a game for them both."

... the perks can be anything from advanced magic combinations to running [I guess sprinting?] while attacking at the same time.

... you can for instance use a one-handed weapon in both hands to increase damage...

[about Radiant story] If you kill an NPC in a display of blind violence, it might just be that this NPC had a brother. The Radiant Storytelling will then function in the way that it will make this brother come to claim vengeance for the murder. Maybe he'll gather his other brothers to come find you?

Radiant Story also decides the difficulty of the game. If it so happens that everything comes natural to you and the game isn't challenging enough for you, the game might place the kidnapped daughter in a creepier cave than if you'd been a worse player. Given that there is such a quest -- I don't know.

Violence is fun, as long as it's virtual. Bethesda agrees. To such an extent that they've baked in different finishing moves for almost every weapon and every enemy in the game. The attack has no specific purpose or function except for looking cool. Finishing moves will not occur every time you kill someone, only if the enemy's health is reduced to a point where all that's needed to kill him is an extra brutal death blow.

... [3rd person perspective] has gotten a deserved update in the form of smoother animations and less stiff joints.

Also, there's this:
While describing a dragon attack, the writer of the article says: ".... a scream that made the ground tremble, set the sky in motion (not sure what he means by this) and made the snow fall from the ruins above. Fire came."
The part about the snow falling because of the trembling caught my eye. Hope it's what it sounds like.

And there's talk about following footsteps in the snow and cloaks while the writer describes the first minutes of gameplay.... might be just the writer filling in the 'gaps' with his imagination though.
All of this was translated by me, so I can guarantee you that the original meaning of the text written in Norwegian is intact.
The craziest thing to remember is that all of the screens are still early builds. There's still 9 months left to crank out the juice on this baby.

And his is apparently the first transfer of this screen from the Gamereactor mag to the web. GR supposedly posts hi-res pics up after a week or two.
http://img824.imageshack.us/img824/9683/landscape01.jpg

Tragyk

So excited for this game, did anyone else have fun translating the txt on the back of the magazine?
I'm probably going to research the language more pretty soon. Hopefully it will turn into something real, along the lines of Elvish or Klingon. :p
(I'm not letting my hopes get too high though, since the back of the magazine used english sentence structure)

Awards

The Escapist : News : Skyrim Will Feature Tentacle Bears ... Maybe
For a great laugh, read that. The picture is pretty clear what it is.

Now, the new Playstation Magazine has come out and has some new information:
SammiiDoogles off the bethsoft forums said:
-'Magnetism' in your attacks draws them more towards enemies rather than allies so as there is no 'friendly fire' in bigger battles.

-Taverns will play a large role in getting information, gossip and rumours from a town as it's naturally where most people go after working and you can listen to peoples conversation and learn more about the town and/or skyrim itseld - it's a lot more natural.

-Quest givers won't be so specific, an example given is say in Oblivion a QG would say you'd be paid 200 gold for doing something, they've tried to make it more natural so the QG would say something more along the lines if 'I'd happily pay if you could do this for me'. (Maybe your payment is dependant on how well you pull off the task?)

-There will be some enchanted weapons which don't tell you what they do - so you'll know it's magical in some way but you won't know how exactly, you'd have to find out yourself - (this would most likely apply to the things you find in dungeons, ie people wouldn't know about it so the PC wouldn't either untill it's used)

-People will be more vague or specific when talking to you or giving you quests depending on how much they like you.

-If you are using a two handed weapon then you use Left Trigger to block and Right trigger to attack, however if you have a one handed weapon in one hand and a spell in the other, you won't be able to block - left trigger will then be a spell and right will be attack - it is done to make you play more stratigically - be more offensive, defensive, magic based etc.

-They mention some new spells such as one which acts as a shield against magic

-They talk about dungeons; one in specific which they go to on a quest *Minor spoilers ahead* called 'Bleak Falls Barrow' - it is inhabited mainly by the Draugr (the undead guys in the screenshots we've seen), a 'ghostly dragon priest' who bursts out of a sarcophagus to attack and startle the player and the 'boss' of the dungeon - a giant 'Frostbite Spider'. They said that they were proceeding through the dungeon when it dropped down from the ceiling where it was hiding, it was said to be terrifying.

-A rune that you can throw down and it fires out shards of ice, similar to the flamethrower one we've heard about.

-They describe a finishing move they perform on a bandit - they 'plunge the sword into his chest' and the bandit can be heard gurgling his blood as he dies.

-Outside of quests you can perform; Woodcutting, Cooking, Mining and metalwork

-They mention some of the 18 skills although I don't know if they're being specific or general (ie they could be grouping a few skills into one, and these are probably not the names of them): Combat, Magic, Stealth, Conversationalist.

-They mention a Dragon Shout that acts as a sort of 'Bullet Time'.

-Riverwood is described as 'A smattering of timber buildings, including a sawmill'

-They get the quest to go to Bleak Falls Barrow from a shopkeeper called Lucan who has had his antique golden dragon claw stolen and wants you to retrieve it.

-Radiant Story is in part inspired by the random encounters in Fallout 3.

-The game apparently looks amazing in motion, with great environment effects such as the wind making the water swirl and make waves.

-Some Dragon Shouts are found in dungeons.

-It is possible to raise all skills to 100 but not possible to get all perks.

-The King of Skyrim is dead, which has sparked the Civil War.

-Dragon Encounters aren't scripted and they will 'Merrily ravage towns without warning'

-NPC's are said to be improved, having proper jobs and routines now and some will even take out a vendetta on you and will come to find you if you killed a loved one or relative for example.

-"Every big settlement is unique. The city of Markarth Side, for example, is set into dramatic stone cliffs, with buildings teetering on the end of sheer drops"

-Haarfingar is said to be home to the largest trading port in Skyrim.

-They mention breaking and entering to find out more about people, but I'm not sure as to what extent - "Because of the open world set up you can even progress by snooping around - following people, looking out for strange behaviour and even some light breaking and entering".

There is one screen that I haven't seen before, It's a dragon standing on top of a large mountain (not the one looking out at mountains, thats in here aswell) - the dragon is seen from the front very clearly and I must say looks very badass. The animations seem to be pretty good from the shots aswell, as the dragons feet are positioned correctly depending on where he is standing in the 3 shots they appear in.

There is also some concept art of what appears to be Dwemer Ruins? possibly, I'm not entirely sure. It looks cool though :p

I just hope the magnetism thing isn't too strong, is all. I'm sure it'll be fine though. If there were an option to turn it off, though, that would be nice.

http://attackofthefanboy.com/news/elder-scrolls-v-skyrim-dungeons-dragons-revealed/
and
More on the OXM-UK Info said:
•120 Dungeons and they claim that 'no two areas will be alike'.

•Just to re-confirm this fact straight from Todd Howard. Oblivion had 1 dungeon designer with artists doing the rest. Skyrim has 8 dungeon designers.

•Whole world is hand-crafted. Oblivion had some generated landscapes and there is NONE of that anymore used in Skyrim.

•The Shivering isles expansion inspired the team that unique, hand-crafted cities, where no two buildings look the same, was the way to go.

•Example of a 'Radiant Story'. OXM UK recieved a quest to go to Bleak Falls Barrow and retrieve a golden dragon claw antique and take it back to shopkeeper Lucan. If you killed Lucan, the quest would change to his friend Camilla instead.

•The Snow. Has been a lot of confusion about this. OXM UK says that snowfall is dynamic. Instead of a texture with a bit of white added, landscapes realistically get dusted with snow landing in appropiate nooks and crannies.

•There are one-off puzzles in certain dungeons.

•Example of new AI: 'Wolves have a den. Few times a day they go out and do a patrol and hunt in a pack. If they kill something then they'll hang out there. If you go outside and they're on patrol they will come after you. If they've killed something they will guard that and not chase you down as they want to look after it.

As far as the dungeons go- with only one designer on Oblivion, who also used generated landscapes to now going to 8 dungeon designers, all including puzzles etc. and crafting every single one by hand- that's awesome.

I'm also really interested to see the direction of the buildings. I personally loved the change in scenery in Shivering Isles and I hope it means good things for Skyrim.

...And this new AI just sounds better and better.

Chrono Mizaki

Banned

-It is possible to raise all skills to 100 but not possible to get all perks.

Oh hello, Fallout 3. I hated that it is possible to get it all skills to 100. But if it doesn't go the way of extremely stupid perks like the 'Almost Perfect', then I guess it isn't as bad. But I really hate it when it's possible to fill out your skills. The game should let you be the 'Jack of all Trades', but not 'Master of All'. It makes it a terrible RPG for stats and individuality.

Awards

There are 280 perks, they said even the highest level characters are only bound to get around 50.

And it's possible because the game is merely soft-capped, so you can keep leveling up if you so choose, so your efforts don't seem wasted, but it will be much much much slower. And the way leveling and everything works now, you're going to be pretty fleshed into your particular character anyways in whatever role he or she plays.

Chrono Mizaki

Banned

And it's possible because the game is merely soft-capped, so you can keep leveling up if you so choose, so your efforts don't seem wasted, but it will be much much much slower. And the way leveling and everything works now, you're going to be pretty fleshed into your particular character anyways in whatever role he or she plays.

Oh in that case. If the leveling is so slow that even if you do everything, you still might not have hit 100 on everything, then I am fine with it. As long as it doesn't go the way of Fallout 3's levelling [which got worse with Broken Steel], then I'm fine.

Awards

It will be similar to Fallout 3, but of course it won't be exactly like it. The thing I noticed is that they did fix a lot of problems with Oblivion when doing the Fallouts, and in a weird way it just seems kind of like the Fallouts were 'testers' for Skyrim, if you catch my drift.

And while I wasn't a big fan of Fallout, I've read enough (and posted about it all here) over Skyrim to not feel worried about it.

Vanitas666

I choose the Middle Path
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com

Bethesda has recently confirmed at least 120 dungeons to be included in Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, with no two areas being alike. Bethesda has 8 people working specifically on dungeon creation, crafting each one by hand.

It's noted that of the dungeons in Skyrim, you will encounter things, puzzles, enemies, that you will not find anywhere els in the world.

These parts sound awsome, I hope those puzzels are good. jet another thing I missed in Oblivion, there where no puzzels and now there's plenty of them it seems. and unice enimies to sertain dungeons, just awsome

THE GAME

That trailer... was fuckin BEAUTIFUL!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back