• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Elemental Affinities vs Proficiencies Theory

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Joker'sHeartless

Awards
~DISCLAIMER obviously the frequency of certain moves and abilities is influenced by the individual gamer's playstyle.~

It may be common knowledge, but most of the Kingdom Hearts characters can be linked to some sort of element. Aside from the established Warrior, Defender, and Mage classes, each member of the first two Keyblade trios (chronologically) is liked to Earth, Air, and Water. Their names even translate to that (one in Japanese, the other in Latin). There are other characters with other elements, the widest assortment being the members of the original Organization XIII.

Butt I've come to the conclusion that someone's affinity is not the only factor in the main element(s) that person uses. There is also a proficiency element involved.

Essentially, it's like Nature vs Nurture.
Lea, for example, has always been about fire. Even back in BbS, he had a fire theme, so naturally as Axel he uses flames heavily in battle, and when he is revived as Lea, his keyblade is fire themed.
Braig, who controls space as Xigbar in the organization, controlled space in the same way in BbS.

On the other hand, there are people who, through varied means, have changed their main element.
Terra and Riku were both earth affinities like Lexaeus, but through prolonged exposure and usage of darkness, have both become more dark type fighters. While Terra's move pool over the duration of BbS slowly shifts from earth based to darkness based commands, Riku is taken by the darkness almost immediately at the start of KH1 and is really only earth affinity by name, as he never really gets to develop those skills.

Sora and Ventus are originally air/wind types. Ventus gains a "natural" light affinity when the darkness is removed from his heart and this slowly grows within his move set as he fights and grows until at the end of BbS, he can use techniques of both at equally high levels. Sora's abilities are relatively balanced until he rejoins with Roxas who boosts his light element tremendously (just look at Final Form). Because Roxas harbors the heart of Ventus, his affinity is just light.

Aqua, Kairi, and Demyx can all be assumed water affinities. Demyx's past before the organization is still unknown, but he doesn't seem like the type of guy to go and learn a new fighting style. Aqua, like Riku, is water by name, as she has instead developed a magic proficiency. For this argument, I'm treating magic as a sort of jack-of-all-trades element. yo won't be the best at any one element, but you can use all of them (that you've learned) to some pretty successful results. Kairi has shown no combat power whatsoever as of yet, aside from some keyblade swings (and misses) in KH2 and generic PoH powers in KH1.

What are your thoughts? Did any of that make sense? Was it painfully obvious and I should be ashamed of myself for having typed it out in the first place? Let me know what you think.

Last edited:

Solo

Silver Member
Awards
While many fighters throughout the series fight with the aid of various elements, it has to be noted that their names do not necessarily have to signify their natural affinity to a certain element. Sora and Riku are prime examples here; though their names are literally the Japanese words for "sky" and "land", respectively, they have never been shown to be associated with the wind or earth element. Before everything basically turned to crap, they were just your ordinary island boys who loved to play-fight with each other and didn't even know a single magic spell, let alone make use of their supposed elemental affinities.

In addition, by Xaldin, you must have meant Xigbar. Xaldin harnessed the power of wind in KH2 and as Dilan, he stayed back to guard the castle during the invasion of Radiant Garden in BbS, unlike Braig who were out spelunking in the city sewers, showing off his space manipulation extraordinaire to Terra.

Joker'sHeartless

Awards
Yeah, I noticed the Xaldin-Xigbar mix up shortly after posting. Fixed now.

I do have to admit, for Sora, Riku and Kairi, their names and abilities aren't as strongly connected to elements as other characters, as everything in the first couple games was much more simplistic.
That said an excuse could probably be made up as to why this is, in universe.

plus, you've got to admit, Sora's jumping ability gets hilarious by the end of KH2. That's gotta count for something, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back