• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Fanfiction ► Empty [Vanitas' Backstory] [Part 7 - FIC COMPLETED]

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Luap

sans 911
Awards
Website
www.facebook.com
So, after that summary of info about Vanitas from the 3rd BBS Novel, I've been really, really liking Vanitas. So, I wrote my take off of Vanitas' backstory. I'm planning there to be 3-5 Parts, maybe more if need be. Each part will cover different events, the first event being Vanitas first day, and the last event being Vanitas' last day, yada yada yada.

Part 1: Birth

I was surrounded by those creatures of darkness Master Xehanort summoned. There was no hope. I was too weak, too scared. And so, in my fright, I tried to plead with him, “Please don’t do this Master, I’m not strong enough!”

He looked down upon me from the ledge he stood on. “No,” he said, “it is because you are trying to hold it in. Let the dark impulses awaken in the pit of your heart. Release them, here and now; Sharpen your fear into rage!” More creatures jumped from the ground as he spoke, “You must! If you do not let the stone in you run its course, it will wipe you from the face of the world! Make no mistakes!” The monsters walked closer. “Do it, embrace the darkness. Produce for your master, the χ-blade! “

Doing nothing to defend myself, I screamed as one of the monsters leaped at me. The others attacked me too, and in moments, I was unconscious.

Unaware of what he was going to do, I heard Master start to speak to me. “Really, you’d rather die than submit to the power? Ventus, you neophyte.” I felt myself get thrown onto my back. “If I must, I will extract the darkness from within you myself.” I heard the shift of metal. I couldn’t see, but I knew what was coming next.

A beam of energy hit my chest. My eyes opened and I gasped. I couldn’t believe my Master was doing this to me. I saw a sphere of energy float above me and then move away. I was scared, I needed to get away. I had to do something! “Sharpen your fear into rage!” I remembered Master say. And so, that’s what I did.

Darkness swirled around my body like a giant cocoon. I could feel myself coming together. My new self. I was no longer Ventus, but a piece of him. I’m not as important. I will let Xehanort use me as he wishes for I have no purpose then that.

The darkness dissipated and I floated to the ground. I looked down at my old self, and only stared. I didn’t know whether to pity him or envy him. I looked at Master Xehanort, who looked back with a smile.

“Empty creature from Ventus riven, to you, the name Vanitas shall be given.”

With no emotion, no care, empty, I said, “Yes, Master.”

For a moment, Master stared down at Ventus. “It seems he’s a failure.” He pointed his Keyblade below Ventus’ neck, and then slid it downward, cutting his shirt off. Ventus’ bare chest had a single wound where the attack from Xehanort hit him. It was bleeding slightly, so he was still alive.

“Soon, he will pass,” Master said. “We will bring him to a place where he can die peacefully.” He pulled out a folded up white cloth, and wrapped Ventus’ in it. A corridor of darkness appeared as he flung Ventus over his shoulder. “Come,” he said to me. I followed him through.

---

We walked out onto a small elevated area of land. In front of us was a bridge which led out to a small island. Behind was a door which led into a small shack.

Master wasted no time, and started across the bridge. I was going to follow, but instead I decided to look around. It was night, and the moon was high in the air, no one would be here. So, I jumped from the bridge and onto the beach. Passing by the water, I noticed my reflection.

A mask covered my face, hiding me. I understood that the memories I have aren’t mine, but Ventus’, yet I still imagined that I appeared to be him. I took off the mask.

I retreated in disgust. There was no face, just darkness. The only noticeable details were golden eyes. Just like those creatures Master had summoned earlier.

Onto the ground I fell, scared. I was NOTHING! I was EMPTY! I wanted to be something MORE! But I wasn’t. There was no purpose, no meaning. I’m a tool, only sentient. Only existing to help the blueprints come together.

I couldn’t accept this.

---

I was falling, somewhere. At the bottom, I could see something dark. It was beckoning to me, so I followed. I reached the darkness, and stood on it. It was a platform, circular, and it the middle of nothing. I walked to the edge and looked down the cliff. There was only endless abyss.

The ground below me rattled, and I jumped back just in time. A large piece of the floor broke away, leaving about two-thirds of it left. Within moments, another piece fell off. And then another. I could feel it all, as if it was my own heart.

It was my heart that was breaking away. With no purpose, my heart had no foundation, no will. It was destroying itself, and dying. ‘Why live for nothing?’ it was telling itself.

“No!” I screamed, “I don’t want to fade! I don’t want to die!” My fear only accelerated the process. Faster, my heart broke. A matter of moments later, I was cornered onto a single tiny platform, only big enough for my feet.

Everything stopped, and a small light floated from above. It felt so warm, so welcoming. “Where am I?” it asked.

“Who’s there?” Ventus asked… He was there too, somewhere.

“I’m a brand new heart.”

“But this is- Why are you in my heart?” My heart was his. No, Ventus was not here with me, no, I was there with him.

“The light brought me. I saw it shining in the distance and followed it here.” This new heart saw Ventus’ light, and never saw me. This new heart could never see me.

“Yeah, that was my light. But my heart is fractured. And now, the little I have left is slipping away.” I could see them both now. Ventus stood on a platform too, but one that glowed light. And, for the most part, it was still intact. He was in pain, but not as a close as I was to death. If only… he knew.

“Then you should join your heart with mine,” the new heart offered. It was a beautiful offering, and I wanted, needed, it more. I reached, and yelped, but I couldn’t reach far enough.

“Huh?” I watched Ventus’ heart heal. Slowly, and surely, he became part of the whole.

“Now, our hearts have touched. Nothing else will slip away.” I started to fear I’d never get another chance, unlike Ventus. The small piece of ground below me started to crack. “And one day, you’ll be strong enough to win back the part that already did.” Strong enough to take me.

“Right. Thanks.” Right!? Thanks!? That’s it!? Given the gift of life and all you do is say ‘Thanks’!?

“It’s time to wake up now.” They’re leaving. No, this can’t be it for me. I cannot fade away! Not to be replaced by this person who had it all and lost it! I won’t allow it! I reached, and reached for the light, but couldn’t grab it. The ground crumbled away below me and I fell…

And then the Light finally took notice of me. It extended toward me, meeting me half way. It spoke, “All we need to do is….”

Ventus and I spoke together, “Open the door.”

Below Ventus, the Light was replaced by a picture of himself. And not only did it show him, but it represented him. The colors and beauty, true light- pure light.

Below me, the platform came back, but instead of only darkness, it too had a picture. The first thing I saw was a face. It was a boy, with black hair and gold eyes. I stepped away to view the picture’s whole, and realized who it was. He wore the same clothes as me, because he was me.

I touched my face, feeling the warmth that flesh brings. No, I wasn’t complete, wasn’t even close, but I was half-empty now.

---

Back on the beach, I lifted my hand into the air. Darkness took shape in my hand, and formed something the shape of a Key. With a small glimmer of light, the darkness solidified. A Keyblade.

I stood up, and looked to Master Xehanort on the small island. He wasn’t aware of what had happened to me, but he was paying attention to something else. Ventus, who was laid out on a bent tree branch, had summoned his Keyblade, pointing it upward. A beam of light shot upward, leaving sparkles in the sky.

I walked to the bridge, and climbed on top of it. Master turned to me, smiling. “It seems, nothing failed after all.”

---

Master said he will train Ventus and I. Ventus’ light must grow, and must darkness has to grow stronger. His strive for knowledge and wisdom is what brought him to this. It’s all the worlds, he says. Darkness and Light used to be equals, not enemies. If the past world is mimicked by our hearts, we can merge together, and bring it all back, Ventus and I.

Ventus is scared though, of me, and Master. Master tells him not to be, that we are all doing this for the same reason. Nonetheless, Ventus can't believe him. Ventus feels betrayed.

Good, let him be.

Last edited:

Dawn Rebirth

Can you say vacay on Radiant Isle, and I'm growing
Re: Empty [vanitas' story pretty much]

... I don't know why ... But reading this made shed some tears ... Perhaps their tears of sadness towards Vanitas being nothing but darkness and now borrowing a replicated body his replacement (Sora) ... Or perhaps it's tears of joy ... That Vanitas has purpose at the end of this part ... Be that purpose be for only bad ... Or not. Either way, Luap in other regards, "Hook, line, and sinker. Can't for more, L" ~ Dawn Rebirth

Luap

sans 911
Awards
Website
www.facebook.com

... I don't know why ... But reading this made shed some tears ... Perhaps their tears of sadness towards Vanitas being nothing but darkness and now borrowing a replicated body his replacement (Sora) ... Or perhaps it's tears of joy ... That Vanitas has purpose at the end of this part ... Be that purpose be for only bad ... Or not. Either way, Luap in other regards, "Hook, line, and sinker. Can't for more, L" ~ Dawn Rebirth

Well, I was trying to aim for something a little more emotional (even though I feel it wasn't done in a quite tear-jerking way).
Glad you liked it! :cool:

Theart

Hyped Ruler of Honnouji Academy
Awards

Orson-welles-clapping.gif

Brilliant work, man. You NAILED how I saw that background description going down.

That said, a question/pointer: wasn't the reason MX left Ventus with ME at LoD was because Vanitas was physically abusing him and was afraid Vanitas would kill Ventus before they could make the x-Blade?

Luap

sans 911
Awards
Website
www.facebook.com

Brilliant work, man. You NAILED how I saw that background description going down.

Yay, people being positive! :D

That said, a question/pointer: wasn't the reason MX left Ventus with ME at LoD was because Vanitas was physically abusing him and was afraid Vanitas would kill Ventus before they could make the x-Blade?

Ummm... was that in the summary, cause I know that wasn't in the game. Might have missed that.

Theart

Hyped Ruler of Honnouji Academy
Awards

Ummm... was that in the summary, cause I know that wasn't in the game. Might have missed that.

I believe it was indeed in the summary. You'd have to check to be sure though. ^_^

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
Re: Empty [Vanitas' Backstory]

Magnificent piece, really makes one feel for Vani a bit.

But yeah, THeart is right...it was in the summary.
Master Xehanort originally wants to train both Ventus and Vanitas beside each other.
Vanitas however constantly feels a nearly unsuppressable urge to hurt Ven and beats him up pretty brutally...and the more Ven whimpers, the more Van's hatred increases until up to one point where he tries to stab him to death with Void Gear.
This is then finally the point where MX intervenes...and having no other choice as Vanitas would not stop, he decides to bring Ven to Eraqus.

Luap

sans 911
Awards
Website
www.facebook.com

Alright, well, I edited the ending of this part to go with the summary more. :)

(this is most attention one of my fics have gotten :3)

Last edited:

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards

Alright, well, I edited the ending of this part to go with the summary more. :)

(this is most attention one of my fics have gotten :3)

Splendid...in the future parts you should just keep in mind that despite Sora saving Ven's life Ventus is still only semi-conscious, walking around like a "zombie", without memories, his heart still hurting. Think of his state as the same as we see him when Terra has that flashback in BBS when MX first brings Ven to LoD...a total broken, frail human being reminiscent to a ragdoll.
Vani's statement "You used to be too broken to talk back" also fits in splendid in that.
Yep, that's one thing we shall not forget despite all sympathy for Van...he's still a sadistic jerk...*ggg*.
Beating up an only half-consious Ventus who's still weakened and in no position to even bring up the slightest bit of resistance.

Of course Ven was betrayed, lol...betrayed and abused by the man he trusted...*punches MX and his lies*.

Maybe that's because of the topic at hand. ;)

Radar

Bronze Member

Yayyy I like Vanitas' stories. It is good to see a character from a different perspective.

UmbraTsuki

Awards

This is really nice owo. I'd actually considered doing something like this, but since I've not actually finished BBS, I'm more content with just reading yours~ |D. But really, I love this. You've written it really well so far C:. I'm looking forward to your next update~ ^^.
~Umbra~

Luap

sans 911
Awards
Website
www.facebook.com

So when's the next update? You planning on updating it every week?

I've been working on Part 2 on and off. It is almost done, but not quite yet.
Will probably get it up on like the 1st or something.

This is really nice owo. I'd actually considered doing something like this, but since I've not actually finished BBS, I'm more content with just reading yours~ |D. But really, I love this. You've written it really well so far C:. I'm looking forward to your next update~ ^^.
~Umbra~

I'm so glad that people are liking this. C:
Oh, and you should finish BBS :p

Luap

sans 911
Awards
Website
www.facebook.com

Um, so, well, here it is.
I'm kind of disappointed in it.
Please leave comments, positive and/or negative. :)

Part 2: Anger

Ventus failed to comprehend the most simplest of matter. For more than a week he went hungry, unable to understand why he felt pain in his stomach, and why we kept trying to give him food. Master was able to make him take water, but that was it.

I was growing sick of the annoyance he now was. How could anyone be such a loser, a failure? Didn’t Master say, “Nothing failed at all?” Or was Ventus now nothing? And, if he is nothing, why keep him around? Why don’t we just kill him off? Master can start over, and find a new apprentice. He can do it again, and extract the Light from some poor soul, and let the remaining Darkness in them die. It just has to be two halves, one light, and one dark. They don’t have to be from the same heart.

Me and someone else, it doesn’t need to be Ventus.

When I presented these ideas to Master, he only laughed. “Right you are, Vanitas. But, we cannot. The two hearts must be equals, and the years it would take in another apprentice would be too many. You’d surely be stronger than the other.” He turned around, and started to walk away.

The fact I hated was reassured, without Ventus I am of no use- nothing.

But, then, as if he read my mind, he stopped and said, “But, even if Ventus’ failed, I’d still have some use for you.” He let out a small chuckle that sounded slightly maniacal. “But, I don’t think that will have to happen.”

“What do you mean?” My voice was high pitched and almost hopeful sounding. I guess I sounded like a kid.

“Don’t think about irrelevant matters.” And, then he finally walked off.

---

I came across Ventus’ room. Curious, I cracked the door open and peered in. He was in there, sitting on his bed. Lifeless, he stared at the ground. I hadn’t seen anything so close to death. It was dull. Unaware of anything, he was very unkempt, physically. Through our connection, I was the only one who could see what he felt though.

Down in his heart, he despised Master and me. Of course, with how broken he was, he didn’t even know what hate was. But, it was still there, and I could feel it. So, I hated him back, and wished him dead.

No matter how much I wanted to at that moment, I didn’t attempt to kill him. I knew he was broken, and not able to understand. He didn’t even know how he felt. It would be wrong to convict someone of their unawareness, right?

But, hell, why would I care?

---

Some days passed, and then Master decided to bring us out to train. Ventus, stupid as he was, wasn’t required to do anything, unlike me. While I fought off the creatures of darkness Master summoned, Ventus stood there, sulking.

Master walked up to Ventus. “You must start to train.”

No reply.

“Ventus, look at me.” Nothing. “Now!” This time, he gave a small reaction. He lifted his head to face the Master. I guess he was trying to figure it out what was being asked of him for his expression was clueless, and somewhat laughable.

Since I eliminated all the creatures of darkness, I walked up to Ventus, thinking I could have a little fun with his state.

“I told you we should have gotten rid of it,” I said. Apparently, he did understand some things, because he looked at me, then back down, shaking in fear.

“Vanitas, stop,” Master said, knowing what I was trying to do.

I looked around, thinking of how to continue hurting Ventus. We were in a huge wasteland, probably near the place I was created. Behind Ventus and Master was a huge cliff- perfect.

“How ‘bout we push him over now? Maybe the fear and adrenaline of falling will make some sense come back to him.” I pushed Ventus backward, making him fall on the ground. I summoned my Keyblade, and pointed it at his head. “Do something!” I yelled. “Be useful for once.”

He was terrified now. Him making small whimpers and childlike cries was entertaining to watch, but I decided to make it hysterical. I kicked him in the side repeatedly. Ventus started screaming, and tears streamed out of his eyes. Now, I expected Master to stop me, but when I looked up at him, he only smiled.

At first, I thought he liked the fact that Ventus was getting beaten. But, that wasn’t so. He loved the fact that I was the one beating someone. I was supposed to be a sadistic creature that is only satisfied by inflicting pain and torture.

I figured I’d humor him, and myself, even more. I lifted my Keyblade, ready to strike. I brought it down and hit Ventus in the leg. He yelped and a purple cloud spewed out of the wound in his leg. I lifted up my Keyblade again, but then time when I brought it down, Ventus summoned his and blocked. Obviously, it was purely instinctive that he blocked, and not something he actually planned to do. But, it still angered me.

“Gonna fight back!?” I yelled. He shrunk back, putting his head down. I kicked him. “If you want to fight, stand up!” He curled into the fetal position, and dropped his Keyblade on the ground. I grinned under my mask when I heard his loud sobs. I kicked him one more time, in the head. He went quiet and still.

Master stood up. “You’re done, Vanitas.” He was smiling, but his face showed concern. He didn’t suspect that I’d hurt him that brutally. I didn’t realize it then, but a blow like that could have killed Ventus. But, I wanted him dead, so, even though he could have already been, I continued.

“One last blow,” I said, “Then he’ll stop breathing.” I swung down, aiming for the teeth of my Keyblade to stab into his neck. Before I hit him though, a blast of energy hit me. I stumbled backward, and then fell to the side. I was standing near the ledge then.

My emotions were mixed. I knew Master was going to stop me from killing him, but I still wanted Ventus dead. “Vanitas, leave.” I laughed, and ran back toward Ventus. Master was faster than me though, and another blast of energy hit me, this time sending me over the cliff.

Before I could fall too far, I stabbed my Keyblade in the rocky wall. Sparks flew around me at the collision of the metal and rocks, but eventually I came to a halt. I swung myself up, and stood on the part of my Keyblade hanging out the wall. It should have ended there, I should have quit, but I didn’t. A sudden burst of energy went through me. I grabbed the handle of the Keyblade, and then jumped up with all my energy. I pulled the Keyblade out of the wall in one spilt second, and then the next moment I stood back at the top of the canyon. I ran straight at Master, faster than I knew I could. He summoned his Keyblade, and sliced it through me. I exploded into nothing.

And then, I was standing on the other side of the canyon, away from Master and Ventus. I was confused. I had just died, but then was over here. I became aware of something else, a blue creature running at Master and being struck down. It was as if I and the creature attacked him at the same time… except I watched the blue creature from over here.

A pain overcame me, and I fell onto the ground. It was in no specific place on me, it was my whole body that was in agony. It felt like death.

I slipped into unconsciousness.

Last edited:

Radar

Bronze Member
Re: Empty [Vanitas' Backstory] [Part 2 up]

Really nice job there, I can see it all in my head. Vanitas beating the sh1t out of ven. I can see vanitas going crazy at the end there when he tried to kill ven, even going against his Master. It really makes you feel how badly Vanitas wants Ventus dead.

what about this part?

But, then, as if he read my mind, he stopped and said, “But, even if Ventus’ failed, I’d still have some use for you.” He let out a small chuckle that sounded slightly maniacal. “But, I don’t think that will have to happen.”

What is MX's other plan for vanitas? And will there be more to this story?

Luap

sans 911
Awards
Website
www.facebook.com

Really nice job there, I can see it all in my head. Vanitas beating the sh1t out of ven. I can see vanitas going crazy at the end there when he tried to kill ven, even going against his Master. It really makes you feel how badly Vanitas wants Ventus dead.

This statement is pretty huge for me as a fanfic writer. To hear that I am staying close to the characters enough that people can imagine it going on in their heads makes me smile. :D

what about this part?

What is MX's other plan for vanitas?

This is before MX brings Ventus to Eraqus, so he has yet to see Terra. I don't see it as too impossible that MX had Vanitas's body as a backup plan in case Vanitas couldn't be used for the X-Blade.

And will there be more to this story?

Oh, yes. :)
I will be going up to the destruction of the X-blade. Only key events will be covered though. Most of the 4 year gap will be skipped.

Dawn Rebirth

Can you say vacay on Radiant Isle, and I'm growing

Vanitas' intellect is just as I'd imagine it. Personality as cold, ruethless, psychotic, and uncaring as it should be. I think if anyone has played BBS (Like you suggested) and have good imagination the words become actions which may or may not tug at the heart, which is good :D The only thing that still confuses me is this, "I came across Ventus’ room. Curious, I cracked the door open and peered in. He was in there, sitting on his bed. Lifeless, he stared at the ground. I hadn’t seen anything so close to death. It was dull. Unaware of anything, he was very unkempt, physically. Through our connection, I was the only one who could see what he felt though" Where's his room? The Badlands are just deserted canyons and plains from what I can tell. Is his room in a cave and his bed is a stone? I ask this because I'd imagine that both MX and Vanitas sleep wherever Mufasa and Simba would, (Saying Vanitas ever sleeps) like say in a den within the Canyon.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards

You clearly have a thing for writing scenes figuratively, I could really imagine the situations in my head.

Characterization was also good, Vanitas's unsuppressable hatred against Ven, Ven's helplessness and Master Xehanort's cold ruthlessness above it.
My, my, poor Ven...almost makes one cringe at the inside, it's really very touching also considering this is four years before BBS, as both Ven and Vani are still kids.
Vanitas having no control over his dark emotions at all, even going against Xehanort, who Ven at least respected as his teacher before the betrayal makes a really neat contrast and that switch with the Unversed was a really unexpected twist...*ggg*.

As said above, the bit with the room comes over a bit out of place, as the Badlands/Keyblade Graveyard apparently don't have any built structures.
Yet still, Master Yoda had a hut on Dagobah, so why couldn't Master Xehanort have a hut at the Badlands? ^__^

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back