• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

English Data found on Japanese Kingdom Hearts HD 2.5 ReMIX disk!

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

videogamefan

It's so cool that the English data is included in the Japanese version of the game! Though, hacking is not my forte so waiting for the English version is just fine. They really should've released a multi-language version for the Japanese market but then it could've interfered with sales for the other branches of SE.

Since people were wondering, yes they are in english in theater mode and they have 2 voices for namine instead of redubbing her with Meaghan Jette Martin.

Really? Huh, I guess that's...interesting.

Is this their way of trying to appease to both the Meaghan Jette Martin fans and the Brittany Snow ones? Or is it that they're not allowed to redub scenes with new actors that have already been done by others? Could it be a contractual thing?

If this was intentional, then it's going to become Canon that Namine's voice changes depending on her mood (jk...maybe). When she's happy and cheerful she sounds like Brittany but when she's sad or feeling guilty she sounds like Meaghan. After the magic cape was added, I wouldn't put anything past anyone.

Sora2016

Silver Member
Awards
Ugh. The start of Aqua's secret episode in english was also uploaded but Square Enix shot it down.

Considering Jason Dohring completely forgot about playing Terra, I'd be willing to put down money that those recordings were archived from BBS.

Ugh really? I am already annoyed they put two voices for Namine in the same game, I will be even more upset if they do the same for Aqua because I honestly can't tell if Willa is doing her voice a little differently or if its someone else...

kuraudoVII

D'oh, I missed!
Awards
If this was intentional, then it's going to become Canon that Namine's voice changes depending on her mood (jk...maybe). When she's happy and cheerful she sounds like Brittany but when she's sad or feeling guilty she sounds like Meaghan. After the magic cape was added, I wouldn't put anything past anyone.

Only in Kingdom Hearts. XD

As you said, it's possible that it could have been a contractual thing or something or perhaps Meaghan Jette Martin was unable to stay for too long and was only able to do the added scenes plus the Re:coded movie or something.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
Only in Kingdom Hearts. XD

As you said, it's possible that it could have been a contractual thing or something or perhaps Meaghan Jette Martin was unable to stay for too long and was only able to do the added scenes plus the Re:coded movie or something.

Doubt all of Namine's line would have taken more than a few hours at most.

Sora2016

Silver Member
Awards
Doubt all of Namine's line would have taken more than a few hours at most.

Yeah, and I remember that Christopher Lee's lines were redone before by Corey Burton, for Days I believe. So yeah I'm 90% sure that is nothing contractual either. If anything I'd say its just they didn't want to spend the money/couldn't spend the money...

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
Or there could have been conflicts with their schedule.

Draxem

Website
www.taystrippedbear.com
Ugh. The start of Aqua's secret episode in english was also uploaded but Square Enix shot it down.

Considering Jason Dohring completely forgot about playing Terra, I'd be willing to put down money that those recordings were archived from BBS.

what do you mean he forgot about playing Terra?

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
what do you mean he forgot about playing Terra?
I spoke to Jason Dohring nearly a month ago and I was telling him how great he was as Terra and he had no idea what I was talking about for like 7 seconds.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
The BBS soundtrack was already recorded with real instruments, so there wasn't any need to redo it.

That's a common misunderstanding tbh.

Falk of VGO went into this matter:

I can probably answer a bit of that without breaking NDA.

There's one extreme, when a score is orchestrated, performed by live musicians, wrapped up, and that's it. In Square Enix games most intros/endings are like that, all the way back to FF8.

The other extreme is when a score is sequenced/synthesized. Traditionally this comes from the methodology of getting music onto older consoles, where more often than not it was a specialized task realizing the composer's music on hardware, where each musical event would trigger a specific sound at a specific pitch (so this data could be ripped to MIDI-like formats). These are terrifically small compared to fixed, streaming audio files.

Even as late as the PS2, music in games could still opt to use a sequenced format. (This was then emulated pretty accurately by efforts like the PSF2 format). While the PS2 (and PSX, honestly) was perfectly capable of streaming audio, Square Enix stuck to this sequencing in a lot of their games, probably because the methodology was familiar to them. (KH2, FFX) But with the added power, more elaborate 'samples' started being used. For example, in KH2, the saxophone lines in Lazy Afternoons are an actual recording, triggered just like the rest of the instruments.

Skip forward to now, and sequenced music in games is very rare. However, it's not accurate to call them 'orchestrated', because while the music is streamed from a single file, that doesn't completely describe how the file was put together- e.g. if it was an orchestration in the traditional sense, or sequenced, except in a DAW instead of real-time by the game.

The benefit of that latter over the old method is that the person doing the sequencing is no longer limited to the console hardware, and has much greater control over how the end product sounds, since all the game does is play back a stream.

The downside however, of course, is that since it's a single file, you lose a lot of the neat tricks you could do when the music was being synthesized realtime. Sonic's speed shoes powerup is an easy example of this. Granted, there's been a lot of advances in implementing some form of interactivity into streamed audio files (western games pioneered a lot of this, although the music in these generally lend themselves better to moulding on the fly. FFXIII-2 also experimented a little with this)

Anyway, I digress. What I meant to say is that just because a soundtrack is in a streamed format (BBS specifically) doesn't automatically mean it was orchestrated. In most cases nowadays it's a mix of sequencing and live instruments, as budget dictates. (Even Jason Graves often uses his own custom sample libraries mixed in with live musicians for his soundtracks)

As to what we did in BBS, you'll just have to wait to find out :V.

Rage Awakened was touched up, but then again it was more a KH2FM track than a BBS track so that's not exactly a surprise!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back