• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Enjoying Chain of Memories

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

BufferAqua

Bronze Member
Awards
I hated Vexen initially till I learned to abuse Lethal Frame. He and Repliku was horrible initially.
The first time I played CoM, I was stuck on him (Even longer the second time) for 4 days. The second time I battled him, I spammed Lethal Frame super hard.

Anagram

Banned
The first time I played CoM, I was stuck on him (Even longer the second time) for 4 days. The second time I battled him, I spammed Lethal Frame super hard.

lol Then you lived my playthrough. After getting it I spammed lethal frame on everyone. It basically works are every Organization or Repliku battle save the last two marluxia ones.

Divine Past

Bronze Member
Awards
lol Then you lived my playthrough. After getting it I spammed lethal frame on everyone. It basically works are every Organization or Repliku battle save the last two marluxia ones.

To me that did take away some of the fun for me. By a certain level, the sleights became so powerful that you stopped worry about managing your resources or battle strategy because it's much easier just so spam lethal frame. I mean the developers didn't help by making the boss super tough where it becomes frustrating to play the game as intended and people resort to the easy way out.

Anagram

Banned
To me that did take away some of the fun for me. By a certain level, the sleights became so powerful that you stopped worry about managing your resources or battle strategy because it's much easier just so spam lethal frame. I mean the developers didn't help by making the boss super tough where it becomes frustrating to play the game as intended and people resort to the easy way out.

Then your thinking on an opposite spectrum because to me discovering lethal frame and learning which bosses it worked on and which it didn't was the utmost of strategy as I found the best strategy that worked.
Remember I didnt' say it worked for every boss nor did I say I use it for everything. I have other strategies for room clearing (which helps alleviate some tediousness) and bosses lethal frame isn't good against.
I also occasionally add Roxas card to my deck to power up the sleight if I have the room and I tend to put more into CP than HP to help accommodate such a deck.

However in a game were you can win with a deck of nothing but thirty or so 7 to 9 level cards, a few cures, three 0 cards and some potions (the strategy I had as a child with the GBA version) it's not exactly one that inspires much strategy imo since even the simplest strategies can win. (many fans dislike of the battle system doesn't help it's chances either)

Last edited:

Divine Past

Bronze Member
Awards
Then your thinking on an opposite spectrum because to me discovering lethal frame and learning which bosses it worked on and which it didn't was the utmost of strategy as I found the best strategy that worked.
Remember I didnt' say it worked for every boss nor did I say I use it for everything. I have other strategies for room clearing (which helps alleviate some tediousness) and bosses lethal frame isn't good against.
I also occasionally add Roxas card to my deck to power up the sleight if I have the room and I tend to put more into CP than HP to help accommodate such a deck.

However in a game were you can win with a deck of nothing but thirty or so 7 to 9 level cards, a few cures, three 0 cards and some potions (the strategy I had as a child with the GBA version) it's not exactly one that inspires much strategy imo since even the simplest strategies can win. (many fans dislike of the battle system doesn't help it's chances either)

Funny enough I did just go lethal frame on every applicable boss I could because I couldn't deal with trying to slow play the other bosses :p.

i just felt compared to KH1/KH2 there was good potential to make the game one of the more strategic of the series (which isn't saying much) but I feel they buffed up the bosses so they are so quick that it made it extremely hard to win without sleight spamming, or just a deck of 0 and 9's.

BufferAqua

Bronze Member
Awards
Lethal Frame is so overpowered, I wonder why they added it lol

BufferAqua

Bronze Member
Awards
Funny enough I did just go lethal frame on every applicable boss I could because I couldn't deal with trying to slow play the other bosses :p.

i just felt compared to KH1/KH2 there was good potential to make the game one of the more strategic of the series (which isn't saying much) but I feel they buffed up the bosses so they are so quick that it made it extremely hard to win without sleight spamming, or just a deck of 0 and 9's.
The deck system is just as lame as the leveling up system. I didn't manage to beat Larxene, because I ran out of cards, because I just keep choosing HP for every time I level up. They could at least keep the original level up system from other KH games instead of wasting your time trying to level up to expand only ONE thing to grow.

Back to the deck system, it was awful and fun at the same time. The most awful part is that you have to spend most of your time breaking instead of actually attacking, and I decided to attack than break... or choose Lethal Frame. Sleights are one enjoyable part of the game, you spam triangle to create different kinds of moves, spells, and combos that can obtain you more experience.

Anyways, I give Re:COM a 7/10 for me.

Anagram

Banned

That is also a motivation. lol

It's definitely a wasted potential but I compliment them for at least trying. Chain of Memories is honestly the most creative they've ever been imo.
The commend system based on it was cool at first but it gets tired just as quickly and all it really does is trade out spamming X & Triangle like in KH2 for spamming only Triangle since keyblade damage is a joke compared to even a fira spell damage.

I personally feel Recoded had it more right than most games with it's battle system. Accessories had a purpose as your ability giver or status resistance, you could combine commands completely or merely combine them, keyblades leveled up giving even older ones use later in the game, etc.
The only real fault I found with Recoded was the matrix/level panels. Level panels was one of the crippling factors of Days wasted potential of a combat system as well.

Lethal Frame is so overpowered, I wonder why they added it lol
Well probably because of the boss thing Divine Past mentions. lol

The deck system is just as lame as the leveling up system. I didn't manage to beat Larxene, because I ran out of cards, because I just keep choosing HP for every time I level up. They could at least keep the original level up system from other KH games instead of wasting your time trying to level up to expand only ONE thing to grow.

Back to the deck system, it was awful and fun at the same time. The most awful part is that you have to spend most of your time breaking instead of actually attacking, and I decided to attack than break... or choose Lethal Frame. Sleights are one enjoyable part of the game, you spam triangle to create different kinds of moves, spells, and combos that can obtain you more experience.

Anyways, I give Re:COM a 7/10 for me.

I wish they'd ditch leveling characters and focus on leveling things like keyblades or abilities and spells like in Recoded. That way you could have a new game+ feature where all of those maxed items carry over without worry of Sora himself being to hax or overpowered starting from beginning at level 100.
You get most of your hp boosts and other stat boosts from boss battles anyway so it's not like leveling does much besides making your attack damage higher. (except for the first KH. in that game leveling did everything there was no boss bonus)

Divine Past

Bronze Member
Awards
I didn't mind the panel system too much other than having the level up panels in it which caused me massive headache on how to fit everything in.

I felt the idea of it's resource management added a new twist because you have to decide how much magic you wanted to take, what type of magic and then how many healing items, not to mention the vast amount of abilities you'll need around. The magic was also very interesting because they separated the levels of magic so there was a choice to be made. IIRC fire or fira was the move that follow the opponent but was weaker and firaga was stronger but only went straight ahead. Also having the keyblades be roughly the same in damage but doing different things like better magic, better reach, more air combo etc made choosing a keyblade a more strategic choice given the mission rather than just picking the strongest one.

Then again Days suffer the same fate as COM in buffing up the bosses to an insane defense/HP level where the only way to win is to do the boring dodge/dodge/dodge/3 hit combo/dodge routine for about 5 minutes which is awfully tedious, panel system or not.

Commands are fun in a novelty sense because it's more fun to see some colorful aeroga move on a group of heartless than just whacking the keyblade. Yea it's becomes smashing triangle on some bosses but it seems that something that series doesn't mind so I like the commands a bit better than the basic hack and slash of the past.

Anagram

Banned
I didn't mind the panel system too much other than having the level up panels in it which caused me massive headache on how to fit everything in.

I felt the idea of it's resource management added a new twist because you have to decide how much magic you wanted to take, what type of magic and then how many healing items, not to mention the vast amount of abilities you'll need around. The magic was also very interesting because they separated the levels of magic so there was a choice to be made. IIRC fire or fira was the move that follow the opponent but was weaker and firaga was stronger but only went straight ahead. Also having the keyblades be roughly the same in damage but doing different things like better magic, better reach, more air combo etc made choosing a keyblade a more strategic choice given the mission rather than just picking the strongest one.

Then again Days suffer the same fate as COM in buffing up the bosses to an insane defense/HP level where the only way to win is to do the boring dodge/dodge/dodge/3 hit combo/dodge routine for about 5 minutes which is awfully tedious, panel system or not.

Commands are fun in a novelty sense because it's more fun to see some colorful aeroga move on a group of heartless than just whacking the keyblade. Yea it's becomes smashing triangle on some bosses but it seems that something that series doesn't mind so I like the commands a bit better than the basic hack and slash of the past.
Thats my point. The level panels was Days deterring factor. The panel system was a great idea but limited thanks to leveling panels which took up so much room that it made the premise of management that it was built on a pain rather than a strategy.
The killers of the game imo though was repetitive missions and the insane HP. Story also felt drug out and repetitive. (but I can read the manga and get a good days story so I dont mind that so much anymore)

I feel their novelty is wore way off. It's now no different than the hack and slash of the past. To the point that when I played 1.5 and 2.5 (the KH1 and 2 parts) I forgot how much more fun and how much I missed the old way.
I also like how KH1 went out of it's way to make magic something to discover. You didn't need it at all but if you experimented you learned things like Aero guards against even projectiles from Ansem, that gravity takes down Defenders to within one hit of hp, that hitting heartless with magic they're weak too grants tech points, the Tinker Bell summon, etc.

Divine Past

Bronze Member
Awards
Thats my point. The level panels was Days deterring factor. The panel system was a great idea but limited thanks to leveling panels which took up so much room that it made the premise of management that it was built on a pain rather than a strategy.
The killers of the game imo though was repetitive missions and the insane HP. Story also felt drug out and repetitive. (but I can read the manga and get a good days story so I dont mind that so much anymore)

I feel their novelty is wore way off. It's now no different than the hack and slash of the past. To the point that when I played 1.5 and 2.5 (the KH1 and 2 parts) I forgot how much more fun and how much I missed the old way.
I also like how KH1 went out of it's way to make magic something to discover. You didn't need it at all but if you experimented you learned things like Aero guards against even projectiles from Ansem, that gravity takes down Defenders to within one hit of hp, that hitting heartless with magic they're weak too grants tech points, the Tinker Bell summon, etc.

I think we are in a agreement on the first point about the Days panel system being annoying lol. I'll give them credit for trying something different and there was a possibility of it being the best system but it seems the developers didn't think the whole thing through and caused it to be a more negative than a positive.

I haven't play 3D so I can see how the command system can get tiring after using it for another lengthy game. I feel the commands for BBS add some variety though after a while I just gravitated towards only a few commands I really like.

I do agree that KH1 had a lot more experimental feel to it since you can find some cute maneuvers that actually make bosses easier that aren't obvious. Then again I still felt TinkerBell was super broken but only one man's opinion lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back