• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Enjoying Chain of Memories

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

kuraudoVII

D'oh, I missed!
Awards
For sure. I'm just remembering my first KH run. I did it on proud and don't even remember how many times I died to Ursula. Until I thought of equipping those thundaga bands..

My CoM progress is going well, I died to Marluxias final form like an idiot, but other than that it's all good.

I have another incoming curiosity. What is Marluxias power? I remember it saying Flowers somewhere, but I don't know if you can classify "Flower" as power, unless you're a hippy and love flower power. I always connected it with the analogy of the rose, Looks pretty to hide the thorns. Marluxia pretends to work with the organization only to be one of it's biggest traitors. Marluxia has a copy of himself running around doing battles for him. And he hides Namine and uses her to get Sora to take down Axel. So it kind of seems that by "flowers" they could have meant deceit. I don't know, anyone got other ideas?

The symbolism surrounding it would seem to fit. According to this wiki, flowers are indeed his power (it's listed under Abilities).

Awards
The battle system is great if you're willing to limit yourself a bit. I generally focus on sleights and card capacity while leveling up. Due to this, by the the end of the game, I'll have this rediculously broken deck entirely composed of the best sleights. This deck is powerful enough to wipe out even the hardest enemy spawns on the 13th floor without taking any damage or taking a standard swing of the keyblade. Battles are basically reduced to mashing the triangle button until everything is dead. Even better, once you beat the game and have Marluxia's card, you can use each sleight twice, effectivly making you invincible. Granted, this deck is next to useless against bosses, which I suppose balances the gameplay and forces you to stop periodically and create a deck specifically designed for that encounter. This time around I'm focusing on standard attacks and having a lot more fun because of it. It's interesting taking into consideration which keyblade cards should be used for each stage of the combo as well as throwing enemy cards into the mix.

Last edited:

Gram

Banned
Awards
^ I myself limit myself to three decks. One of purely attack cards (with some cure), one of nothing but the sleight Tornado and a their of nothing but Lethal Frame.

I use the Tornado sleight for room clearing (it's a freaking god-send let me tell you), Lethal Frame is my boss deck and to be blunt Lethal Frame is so broken lol. Even Repliku and Larxene are my b*tches despite their speed.
The attack deck is what I use until I can form the Tornado deck and it's what I use against' the first Marluxia fight since Lethal Frame is hard to hit him with.

The attack deck, by the end of my run, is all 7 to 9 cards. (good for spamming last minute/desperate attack sleights as well)

kuraudoVII

D'oh, I missed!
Awards
It's all different. I found CoM to be so hard the first time I played it, but like the other gentleman said, I was playing it like any other KH game. On the other hand I didn't find DDD so hard, I just really didn't like the game.

Part of the reason I found Chain of Memories difficult the first time was partly because of playing it like the first game. The other reason was simply because I was playing the Game Boy Advance version which is technically harder if you never use sleights.

^ I myself limit myself to three decks. One of purely attack cards (with some cure), one of nothing but the sleight Tornado and a their of nothing but Lethal Frame.

I use the Tornado sleight for room clearing (it's a freaking god-send let me tell you), Lethal Frame is my boss deck and to be blunt Lethal Frame is so broken lol. Even Repliku and Larxene are my b*tches despite their speed.
The attack deck is what I use until I can form the Tornado deck and it's what I use against' the first Marluxia fight since Lethal Frame is hard to hit him with.

The attack deck, by the end of my run, is all 7 to 9 cards. (good for spamming last minute/desperate attack sleights as well)

I think everyone spammed Lethal Frame once they got it. I know I certainly did.

Gram

Banned
Awards

lol Can't blame'em if they did. It feels good to be untouchable when fighting someone as annoying as Repliku or Larxene.

Rau Le Creuset

I stacked Firagas, after every firaga i would put a zero card and then I had the hearless card of the red noccturn to increase the damage, I killed basically anything with that deck. Firaga is strong as hell and never really misses, love it. For croud control stacked simba and reflect raid. That worked well too.

Karaudo, thanks, I read the ability section and I guess it is just flowers. I guess I just had a hard time understanding that "flower" is an element to be controlled and willed. It's kind of like Xemnas for me. I still don't know what "power over nothingness" entails. Because laser swords, light shields, and homing beams don't seem to be nothing. I guess I'll just check that wiki though.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards

Of course as except some rare exceptions (Like Gundam/Evangelion Mecha Marluxia) this sleight is the absolute Boss Killer.

I think my entire Boss-Deck consists of only Lethal Frame and Sonic Blade sleights combined with a few 0-cards, some Cures and Items.

For normal fights though I prefer crowd-clearers like Tornado, Thundaga etc.

Blackdrazon

Vulpes Chronicler
Awards
I love screen-clearers, but I'm afraid my near future is full of less efficient decks because I'm trying to find Enemy Cards as I go through the normal game. :/ Trying to get Card Master, you see.

If Marluxia has power over flowers, no wonder he's master of Castle Oblivion. The Creeper Plants are the worst thing in there, with their 7s and 8s.

Kazr10

Bronze Member
Awards
Am I the only one who loves to bully the bosses with Zantetsuken? Zantetsuken + Lethal Frame + Jafar & Ars Arcanum combo is my boss bullying deck.

BlazeHeatnix

I wish that if this game ever gets re-released again, it should have the Command Deck instead of the cards. The systems are very similar, a transition would be pretty easy.

Hovhannes1998

While I understand any frustration with the card system, changing it would truly go against every principle in CoM. It would have to be a whole different game. Everything is based of cards.

Divine Past

Bronze Member
Awards
Honestly COM had one of my favorite Sora's in terms of characterization and even his involvement in the plot. Of course in true KH fashion they make still feel like it's a grind to get through just so I can get to the parts I really enjoy (Which is like almost every floor barring a couple he fights Riku)

BlazeHeatnix

While I understand any frustration with the card system, changing it would truly go against every principle in CoM. It would have to be a whole different game. Everything is based of cards.

No, it wouldn't be a totally different game. Think about it. Sleights are basically just commands. Enemy cards are just D-links. Both commands and cards are cancelled out when you get attacked in the middle of playing them. And unless you get Combo Plus, you only have a base 3-hit combo. Nothing much would really need to change. Ok, so everyone talks about how cards control everything. Enemy cards can still exist. Friend cards can still be grabbed in battle. World cards are still used to enter doors. Commands could still exist as cards and need to be reloaded, but you'd be free to do regular attacks otherwise. Wouldn't that be enough? Why do even your base attacks need to be cards? That's annoying and doesn't make any sense, even in the universe.

The card system works in the original GBA game because the game was 2D and the battle mechanics had to slow down. But in 3D, where everything is fluid and there are more opportunities for movement, it's sluggish, unintuitive, and boring. Riku's playthrough is 200% better than Sora's, because not only does he not have to go through stupid redone plots of the KH1 worlds, but his cards are pre-determined for each world. This means the challenge is forcibly fair and balanced instead of relying on the player, who may not be into card games at all, to treat the game like one and build their own deck.

If Sora's playthrough was more like Riku's where his cards were pre-determined while still allowing you to customize if you want to, and all cutscenes restricted to areas actually relevant (Traverse Town, Destiny Islands, etc) it'd be a much better game. It's still good, but I consider it so only for Riku, the story, and the OST which is my favorite one in the series.

Last edited:

BufferAqua

Bronze Member
Awards
Chain of Memories is very fun, but it can be irritating at times.

For example.... the Vexen boss....

Hovhannes1998

No, it wouldn't be a totally different game. Think about it. Sleights are basically just commands. Enemy cards are just D-links. Both commands and cards are cancelled out when you get attacked in the middle of playing them. And unless you get Combo Plus, you only have a base 3-hit combo. Nothing much would really need to change. Ok, so everyone talks about how cards control everything. Enemy cards can still exist. Friend cards can still be grabbed in battle. World cards are still used to enter doors. Commands could still exist as cards and need to be reloaded, but you'd be free to do regular attacks otherwise. Wouldn't that be enough? Why do even your base attacks need to be cards? That's annoying and doesn't make any sense, even in the universe.

The card system works in the original GBA game because the game was 2D and the battle mechanics had to slow down. But in 3D, where everything is fluid and there are more opportunities for movement, it's sluggish, unintuitive, and boring. Riku's playthrough is 200% better than Sora's, because not only does he not have to go through stupid redone plots of the KH1 worlds, but his cards are pre-determined for each world. This means the challenge is forcibly fair and balanced instead of relying on the player, who may not be into card games at all, to treat the game like one and build their own deck.

If Sora's playthrough was more like Riku's where his cards were pre-determined while still allowing you to customize if you want to, and all cutscenes restricted to areas actually relevant (Traverse Town, Destiny Islands, etc) it'd be a much better game. It's still good, but I consider it so only for Riku, the story, and the OST which is my favorite one in the series.

After your explanation, I have come around to the idea because I really agree how irritating the cards for base attacks can be. Still, I respect the originality this system holds. I would only say that if we can jump and roll without cards (and even hit when outside of combat) why do we need cards to hit in battle? I was also kind of annoyed with the idea of different keyblade cards. I don't know, I just didn't like the idea of hitting my opponent with the kingdom key one second and the Ultima the next second. I wonder how the CP system would work in the way you described. I imagine the commands we can use would just have different CP values, but the amount of max CP would have to decrease in account for no longer having attack cards (base attacks I mean).

Hovhannes1998

Chain of Memories is very fun, but it can be irritating at times.

For example.... the Vexen boss....

The Vexen fights were irritating to say the least, especially the first one. It took me like 7 tries to get him. The one at Twilight Town wasn't that bad. The key is to roll around like insane and break every attack he does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back