• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Fanfiction ► Ephram's Journey

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oathshadow

I got sick of trying to work on the second chapter of the Keys sequel, so I decided to post the first chapter anyway.
ONE- Keyblade Master

It was dark. So terribly dark. Ephram clung to the Keyblade, searching the dark for what he sought.

He has forgotten so much.

Shivering, Ephram ducked beneath a swooping Wyvern. Heartless crawled all around him. . . on him. . . .

He forgot her.

He caught the blur of red. An instant later, he felt the heat of intense fire pass behind his back.

“Next time I won't miss, murderer!” a boy shouted from with the dark. Metal rang. He was fighting the Heartless. “Show yourself!”

Axel appeared in his mind, grinning. His eyes spread wide, flame flickering around his face.

Ephram jumped away from a wheel of fire. The boy sniggered.

“You will pay. Someday.”

-- $ -- $ --

Ephram sat up, sweat dripping down his face. That dream had haunted him since. . . since he had come alive again. It always ended at a different time. And it was never exactly the same. But he always saw Axel, and he was always looking for something.

It was part of his past, something he was quickly forgetting all about. Was it the night he killed himself? He couldn't be entirely sure.

Slipping out of the bed, he staggered to a mirror. It was him, standing there. Ephram Whyte. But it wasn't him. It looked like his body. But there was something that didn't fit. There were no scars, and no pain in his eyes. There had been a great deal of pain in his eyes, before his sacrifice.

DiZ had been entirely unable to explain how Tidus's body changed to appear his own. Ephram didn't understand it either. His heart and soul were still contained in his body. But it wasn't his body.

Looking out the window was depressing, to say the least. It was an instant drop, far down to the strange waterways beneath Hollow Bastion's castle. There was nothing but mountains as far as the eye could see. The sun was still down, so everything was shaded in darkness. Darkness. . .

DiZ said that once Hollow Bastion had been a place of light, and peace. Now it was shadowed even in daylight, a parallel to its master. DiZ was as complex as everything else in this place.

DiZ was a Heartless.

Ephram looked back at the mirror. There was no telling how long he'd been here, living in a new body. Certainly not long enough to recover from his invasion, or whatever had ailed Tidus before he had entered.

Someone knocked on the door, three times. Ephram jumped.

“A moment,” he forced himself not to mumble, a habit of his. He cast about, looking for the shirt he had tossed aside before going to bed the night before. Instead he found the black robe that DiZ had offered him, still hanging where he had left it.

Apparently Axel didn't have a moment. The fiery-haired man burst in, a wily grin on his angular face.

“Hey, dreamer!” he greeted. He folded his arms and leaned against the door jamb.

“A good morning, Axel?” Ephram found his black undershirt and thrust it on.

“The night was better,” Axel admitted. “Yuffie has a great laugh.”

Ephram didn't know if Axel was trying to make a sick joke or was being serious. You just couldn't tell with this guy. He opened the wardrobe next to his bed and grabbed some pants, tossing on the bed for when Axel left. If Axel left.

“I don't think there's anyone else around here who would laugh at your jokes,” he smiled faintly, watching Axel readjust his robe.

“She and I are the only ones laughing right now,” he recovered quickly. “I haven't heard you laugh.”

Remembering his dream, Ephram grimaced. “I don't think you'd like the sound of it.”

“Maybe not,” Axel stood up straight, but his grin didn't go away. It never went away unless DiZ was around. “DiZ wants to see you when you're up and around.” He chuckled, “That'll be a while, since you've still gotta comb your hair and put on your make-up.”

Ephram smiled again, sitting on his bed. He drew invisible lines under his eyes with his fingers. “Don't talk to me about make-up.”

Axel chuckled again and turned away, “See ya later, pretty boy.”

The door closed and Ephram dropped back onto his bed. Axel was the easiest person to deal with here, believe it or not. At least he could say whatever he wanted around him. With Yuffie, he couldn't say anything, because of all that gab, and nothing he said could muster a word from Leon. Cloud was spending all his time in the library, “studying.”

Studying Aerith's face, maybe.

With DiZ's followers out doing whatever it was they did, that was everyone. Axel, Yuffie, Aerith, Leon, Cloud, and DiZ. And DiZ had been away a lot recently. Something about Castle Oblivion.

Ephram slipped into his baggy gray pants. He checked to see if his two rings, white and black, were still in their places, and then he headed out the door. Halfway out, he finished climbing into his two-tone black and white jacket.

The hallway was empty. Ephram closed his door quietly, listening to Axel's fading footsteps. Everything echoed in these halls. It was eerie, to say the least.

Riding lifts was easy. It was finding the right one that was the hard part. After twenty minutes of wandering through the vacant halls, he found a lift station, but it took him to the castle gates. He had to backtrack until he found one that carried him to the heart of Hollow Bastion.

Leon glanced at him with those icy, emotionless eyes when he stepped into the chapel. Yuffie was close by, juggling by the looks of it. She grinned and shot him a wink. Ephram shook his head, almost stumbling on his way through. He would never understand what that girl was thinking. Never.

As always, he felt a chill run through his spine upon entering the Great Hall. On either side of him, teal fires burned. Beyond them stood broken. . . he didn't know what they were. They had held six of the princesses of heart. The powers of darkness had clashed with Sora here. His victory spoke much of the Keyblade's incredible power.

This was also where he was to meet the heart of those dark forces, in more ways than one. The person he was about to meet had been the ruler of hollow Bastion in times long past, and then its absent tyrant. He placed it under the charge of a witch and her unwitting coalition of villains. All of them had fallen to the Keyblade master.

“You are thinking about it again, aren't you?” DiZ retained the voice of Ansem, but there was something about it that was far less dark. Ansem's heart. . . a heartless. . . acted as if he had not undergone the change that he had. Redemption was DiZ's song, for those who had heard it. Ephram had been lucky to.

“About what?”

“Your are thinking about how incredible it is. How undeniably simple it is.” DiZ was standing in the center of the little courtyard, watching Ephram climb the right stairs towards him. He was swathed in red, and what could be seen of his body was like black fabric. His eyes were a bright orange. How could anyone have orange eyes?

“The Keyblade?” Ephram guessed, mounting the dais.

DiZ nodded, “That is what is at the center of your thoughts, is it not?”

Ephram hesitated, his mouth hanging open. “I. . . I suppose it is,” he glanced away. This place always reminded him of what DiZ had told him about Sora's accomplishments. Something very faint, deep inside, told him that the Keyblade had changed Sora. He wasn't the same Sora he had known on Destiny Islands.

Wait. . .

Are you still in here, Tidus?

DiZ had said that Tidus's memories would still remain. They were dormant, but there were things Ephram knew about Sora and Kairi and Riku that no one had told him.

“Have you rested well?” Ansem's heart stepped back, his strange eyes taking Ephram in. “You have always seemed tired. Show me something.”

Ephram knew what DiZ was asking. He had known DiZ before killing himself. Or he had known Ansem. . . He wasn't sure. He just knew that DiZ was immensely familiar. DiZ knew a great deal about him, though. Like the prowess he had once had in fighting Heartless.

“I don't think I'm up to it,” Ephram turned his gaze upon the rift that led. . . somewhere. “It's been a while.”

DiZ walked over to a panel with Ephram at his heels. He picked something off the ground and held it up.

“Would this convince you to try?”

Ephram stared. It was a Keyblade. More specific, it was the Keyblade that Ansem's body and soul had given to Tidus. The Keyblade Jac had left behind. . .

Who was Jac?

“What do you intend to do with that?”

DiZ smiled. It was hard to tell, but the smile was there, “This belongs to you. In truth, it belonged to Tidus. But you are both Ephram and Tidus, so this Keyblade is yours.” he knelt again, lifting up a black crown on a chain. A keychain.

“What is that?” Ephram stepped slowly away. He glanced at the rift again.

“This is Oblivion,” DiZ deftly attached the chain to the black and red key in his hands. There was a sound like darkness, strange as it seemed, and a black aura shone around the Keyblade. After a moment, the result became visible. It was long, and black, and the end was almost like a crown. Everything about it was hard edges. “This is said to have caused despair and destruction in the hands of its wielder.”

Ephram shook his head. “You intend for me to have it?”

“As I said, it is yours.”

DiZ tossed Oblivion aside. It landing halfway into the rift. Somehow, it remained.

“You want me to do something for you,” Ephram asserted. His eyes were still on the Keyblade, hanging in the gap. “You want me to use the Keyblade to destroy something.”

“I'm giving you what is yours,” DiZ said quietly. He crouched one final time to retrieve what looked to have once been a star-like fruit. A paopu. Two legs had been bitten off, but it was not rotting. “i do not know, but i believe Jac would have wanted you to have this.”

“What?”

“The wielder of the Ghost-key went by the wayside, sacrificing himself and his Keyblade for the chance that Sora could stop the swarm of Heartless and shells that are invading. His name is Jac, and I do not know if he lives. Something tells me he is dead, though. He left these with you when he went, promising to return. You key-wielders have a way with failing to fulfill your promises.”

Ephram took another step back. He stumbled, realizing that he was at the edge of the steps. “I am not a key-wielder!”

DiZ shook his head. “Denying it won't make it any less true. Tidus was given the key he had, thus he was able to wield it. You, on the other hand, were chosen by a Keyblade. It is still there, in the back of your mind, waiting to be returned to your side.”

Ephram remembered his dream. He had held a Keyblade in it. His own Keyblade. Before his sacrifice, he had used a Keyblade. . .

“Are you saying. . .”

“Yes, Ephram. You own two Keyblades.”

Ephram gave a start when, with a flash, his Keyblade appeared in his hand. He stared at the gold hilt, and the silver shaft. It was so familiar. . .

“This is impossible,” he murmured.

DiZ said nothing more, but pulled out another chain. He attached it to the half-eaten paopu fruit. After a moment of consideration, he handed it to Ephram. “That is Oathkeeper. Sora had the same. Indeed, all that is required is the symbol of an oath. Hang it from your Keyblade.”

Ephram did so. The Keyblade flashed silver light. When the light vanished, it was different, as the other Keyblade had been. This one had a flowery hilt, with two short rods for the shaft, and the tip was a mix of yellow and blue.

“The wielder of Oathkeeper brought much light to the world,” DiZ's voice echoed. He turned away. “Jac's sacrifice opened the boundaries between worlds once more. You may pass between them freely, given a means of transportation. In the waterway you will find a gate. That gate will lead you into darkness, but only for a time. You will follow the path of Riku's heart until you reach Kingdom Hearts. But it will not be there. Instead, you will find a road. Follow the road, and your heart, and you will find what you seek.”

“What I seek?” Ephram hopped up the steps towards the rift and pulled Oblivion from its grasp. Surprisingly, both fit his hands, and with perfect balance.

“There are promises to be kept, Ephram,” DiZ muttered. Then he was gone, leaving no trail to tell where he went.

Ephram stood there for a while. What he sought. . . . He had been seeking it, even in his dream. Even before his sacrifice, he had been searching for this. What was it that he was looking for? DiZ's last words weighed on him. They had some importance, but he couldn't tell what.

His two Keyblades vanished. He started down the steps half-heartedly, still hesitant to believe what he was.

Last edited:

Oathshadow

Thanx. I'm having trouble with the poetry of the words in the next chapter. It may be a while.

I'll let you in on a secret. Namine's in the next chapter! Actually, it is more or less based on her. I have to go haul treadmill and bury wire.

Oathshadow

All right. The second chapter's finally here! I'd use another post, but I don't want to double post.

TWO- Wanderer

Namine cringed. She could feel DiZ entering the castle. It hadn't been very long at all since his last visit. She didn't like him. There was something about the way he stared long and hard at Sora that disturbed her. Like watching a champion race horse that he'd gambled everything on.

Sora's memories would not be finished for a time yet. He had been twitching since that first movement. Namine had no idea what the problem was.

“How are his memories?” DiZ asked, appearing suddenly.

“Coming closer,” she whispered.

DiZ nodded. As always, he gazed solemnly at Sora.

“Do you know what's special about him?”

Namine didn't answer.

“His heart isn't like anyone else's.”

“Everyone is unique,” she allowed.

“You don't understand,” DiZ shook his head, “He can do anything he wants. Anything.” He walked out of the room silently.

“Sora?”

-- $ -- $ --

Ephram blinked. It was dark outside. Almost as dark as the waterway just behind him. His thoughts turned to a vague image of a girl, wearing a tank top over her swimsuit. Her hair was red, her eyes deep blue and absolute.

Oathkeeper was in his hand a moment later, throbbing with a strange warmth. Ephram shot it a curt glance, restraining his tongue. There was a glow thrumming in time with the warmth. It pulsed along the entire Keyblade from its source: the paopu fruit. Strangely enough, he noticed that the fruit had been restored and was in all appearances a cute, yet fake version of its original.

He shook his head, stepping onto the pale path. It led for a considerable length of time. Long enough for Ephram to think.

He knew the girl's name was Kairi. The thing that had replaced the paopu fruit had been made by her, just before Destiny Islands was destroyed. But he also knew that those weren't his memories. Tidus was becoming all the more prominent with each passing moment. They were becoming one.

Many dark ideas filled his head, concerning his dream and its nature. It was of some great import, but like everything in his life, he couldn't figure out what.

Axel grinned at him in his mind's eye, but his eyes were filled with malice. Ephram had seen that look before. Axel burned with a fire, deep within himself, and being hidden, it was intensified.

Every happy-go-lucky person he knew had something in their past that seemed enough to make most break down and cry. In feigning their strength, they rotted themselves. Ephram knew it was better to be honest about his pain. Of course, he told no one about anything in his life. But he let it be obvious in his manner that he was a wounded soul.

Perhaps that was why people saw him as strong. He wore his burdens on his face, while all others hid theirs. So when they saw him, they saw someone they thought carried more pain than they. When they observed him carrying on despite that, it would seem obvious he was very strong.

“A great misconception on their part,” he murmured, just as he stepped into an opening in the path. This must be where Kingdom Hearts had once stood. Now there was a rift.

Rift. . .

DiZ had distinctly said something about a rift. . .

It was too large for Ephram to cross. On the other side the path was well lit. On either side of it there were lush fields of green.

“Cross it,” he told himself bitterly. He knew he had done things far more dangerous before.

A vision flashed before his eyes.

Something white streaked by. He followed, dashing quickly around the corner. Moving too quickly, he took a few steps on the side of a building before reaching the street again, barreling after an elegantly dancing specter before him.

That was no feat. He remembered that day. Charging after that creature, he had first begun to realize his strength to hunt. But what happened next failed him. The town. . . it was the one from his dream.

The chasm before him was at least one hundred feet in width. But the old Ephram could have jumped it. Somehow he knew it was possible. With the Keyblade in his hand, anything had been feasible.

Now the Keyblade had returned to him. And he had gained another.

Standing on a stained glass tower, he faced a titan, but there was something linked with him that filled him with an incredible energy. A weapon, but more than that. A Key in most than appearance. The Key not only to doors, but to the accomplishment of all good he could ever do. Nothing would stand before him. Not even this monstrosity.

That was what the Keyblade meant to him. He had forgotten it easily. It had not been a burden, but the release of any burden but one. There, lagging in the back of his mind. The object of his quest. Yet he knew that a Keyblade was his only chance at fulfilling his search.

And now he had two.

Who were you before you gave up on life? What made you think that destroying yourself could accomplish you goals?

“This is my second chance.”

Ephram shook. He gripped Oathkeeper. And Oblivion too, he realized. His polar Keyblades. Both filled him with the strength he so desperately wanted.

DiZ's voice echoed in this most dark of places, “There are promises to be kept, Ephram.”

He stepped back. Tidus's thoughts swirled within, forming an image of the boy. His counsel sounded as loudly as DiZ's, “Sora just isn't the same. You'll be changed forever. You'll never be the same again.”

Ephram shook his head, gazing across the rift, “But this is who I am!” His shout rang louder than the other voices. He felt it like a fire within him. He was fulfilled by the Keys. They were him. Infusing, digging their roots deep into his heart, they would be as much a part of him as his own soul.

He crucified his fears and doubts. With a grunt, he backed away from the chasm. Well away. He could no longer see the drop. All he could see was the green other side.
He charged forward.

The chasm opened before him almost immediately, a testament to the blinding speed with which he raced. It longed to swallow him and prove he was a weak-hearted fool. But he catapulted at the last moment.

The air whistled by his Keyblades, singing sweetly through the twin rods of Oathkeeper, and roaring through Oblivion. He did not spin or roll. He remained upright, eyes fixed on the path on the other side.

In moments it came tumbling towards him. He smiled. Not the faint smile to go with a wry joke, but an exhilarated grin. He landed with a thud, a massive cloud of dust in his wake.

The Keyblades vanished, but he continued to run at least fifty yards from the chasm. When he looked behind, it had vanished. There was only the unending path, before, and behind.

He summoned Oathkeeper. To his surprise, however, it did not come. In its place came the Kingdom Key, much less magnificent. Immediately, he felt the wait of the paopu fruit in his pocket.

You're crazy.

Tidus blurted.

“Maybe,” Ephram muttered. The Keyblade faded from his hand.

Last edited:

Oathshadow

I'm just gonna post another so my thread doesn't get buried under everything. I'm not double posting. It's been three days since my last post and I'm just ensuring the survival of my fic. Chapter two is above, because I did edit my last post. Enjoy. There's going to be another healthy wait for Chapter three

Oathshadow

Forget double posting. I'll just post when I have a new chapter.

THREE- Unchanging

Something thick and heavy rolled through Sora's mind. Pain reeked off of it. It was something like leaving Kairi. . . again. His body shuddered uncontrollably.

Images ran through his consciousness, but that was all that was there. He could hardly think. There was no telling how it worked, but the chamber suffocated his mind.

There was that girl outside. She was changing him. To what? What was her name? He could have sworn he knew her.

Someone floated towards him. . . Riku.

-- $ -- $ --

Ephram blinked. He felt as if something massive had just flown by him. Or he had just experienced an earthquake. He lay in the grass a little ways from the road, trying to understand what just hit him.

His name is Jac, and I do not know if he lives.

Ephram hopped onto the road. The day was waning quickly. It seemed as if he had been walking along this road for years, yet finally the sun was dropping lower.

There was something large in the distance. Ephram started running.

By the time he arrived, it was twilight. Cautious, he called up his Kingdom Key. A great castle loomed before him. It was strange-looking, to say the least, but it was still obviously a castle.

What you seek. . .

Ephram stepped inside.

-- $ -- $ --

“He's here, Namine,” DiZ's voice sounded. He was nowhere to be seen. “Speak with him, and be honest. But don't tell him what has become of Riku.”

Namine shuddered. She could feel Ephram's presence already. It had been so long, but she could still feel him from miles away. He stuck out like a sore thumb in her heart.

Without ceasing to break the links of Sora's memories of her, she went out to meet her childhood.

-- $ -- $ --

Ephram gave a start. DiZ appeared before him.

“You still have far to go to find what you seek, hunter,” he whispered. “Show me your strength.”

Ephram gave a nervous start again. He summoned his Keyblade again, charging half-heartedly—though still quickly—towards DiZ.

The balderdash passed through the Heartless's body, leaving a short-lived wake of numbers and symbols.

“It was decent,” DiZ chided. Ephram hacked deftly at the specter, but he was gone.

“What does he want?” Ephram shouted.

“He wants you to destroy many things in your reckless pursuit of a love you'll never find. It seems like anyone who wields a Keyblade falls for her.” He knew that voice. Blast, it couldn't be! Tidus's confusion swam in his head.

“Namine?”

She stepped out from behind a pillar, nodding softly. She was as simply elegant as when he last saw her, as sorrowful as she had ever been. The sadness seemed to echo for the whole world's sufferings. He knew the burden she bore. She was a dangerous person to love.

“You've come here because your search compels you. DiZ has reignited the fire you put out in haste,” she didn't pout, but tears welled in her eyes. Tears always welled in her eyes. Always so compassionate.

He released the Keyblade, running to her. His arms lifted to wrap her in a tight embrace, but he repressed the urge. “Do you see this? It looks like me, doesn't it?”

“Tidus has accepted his fate. Don't feel sorry for him. He gives you reign over his Keyblade freely.”

“But I'm me again,” he said, quietly. His voice was lower than its usual soft bass, and felt more rich than he intended. “I can do it this time.”

Namine shook her head. Her hand reached up and squeezed his shoulder, “Do you even know what it is you want to do?”

“I'm. . . looking for something?” he smiled faintly, the kind of daredevil smile he always used to give. Tidus whispered something about Sora.

“For what, Ephram?” As she always did, she lowered her hand and kissed her palm. He never understood, but that always sent a shiver up his spine. Now was no different.

“You. . . you've grown up a lot,” he tried to change the subject.

Namine complied, “You haven't changed.” There was a doubled sadness in her voice. As if she wanted him to change. “Let's go find someplace to sit. You're tired.”

Oathshadow

This next chapter is pretty cool. At least I think so. I know the chapters are getting shorter, but I hope no one can complain.

FOUR- Non-existent

Riku shivered, not looking back. The day was cold. Colder than he'd expected, in this dark coat he was wearing. Mickey appeared unaffected.

But then, Mickey almost always appeared unaffected. Even so, his constant smiles were fading fast into a silence Riku often imagined as morbid.

“We've been wandering for a long time,” he whispered to the Mouse King.

“Well golly, Riku, I thought you were more patient than that,” Mickey sounded annoyed. But there was still mirth in his voice. “We're gonna be outta here by tomorra.”

“How do you know?” Riku folded his arms, forced to pick up his pace to keep up with the King.

“Somebody just died,” there was no more mirth in his voice.

-- $ -- $ --

“You shouldn't exist, Ephram.”

He rolled in his bed. Namine wasn't asleep. She didn't sleep anymore, now that she had to restore Sora's memories. She hadn't slept for months.

She hadn't been easy on him. There was a lot of things she had told him. Especially to stay away from DiZ. But the most painful of all was that he shouldn't exist. He was a danger to the balance of things. It didn't make any sense. She didn't seem to understand it either.

Even without sleep, the dream was descending upon him. But this time. . .

He writhed, clawing at his chest. “Argh!”
“You shouldn't exist,” her voice rang. “You must not exist!” The links of his heart were tearing apart. His memories. . .

He sat bolt upright. With a huff of relief, he stared at his hands. In the pale dark, he couldn't quite make them out. His eyes played tricks, making them appear demonic and insidious.

He looked away.

Something forceful drove him from his bed. What was going on? A voice echoed through his mind.

Is he still alive? Ephram! He could be alive!

It was Tidus. His words had become more soothing, less contradictory, over time. Namine was right. The boy had accepted his fate.

You should sleep, Ephram. I think. . .

“You're talking to me,” Ephram whispered. “Am I speaking to you?”

You hear me! I'd thought. . . it's taken so long. This is certainly strange.

“Crazy.”

Ha. . . you're right. I'm talking to a dead guy.

Ephram didn't respond. The thought of that hurt a lot less when it was him saying it.

The worst part is I'm pretty much dead too.

“So that's two of us then. . . what does that make us?” he smiled sadly, lying back down. He felt something, like an ethereal hand, tugging at his consciousness.

Unique.
DiZ called me Dreamlord. . .

Tidus's voice trailed off lightly. The hand stopped tugging a moment.

I think he was right. Come on. I wanna show you something.

Ephram let Tidus pull his consciousness somewhere deep within himself.

-- $ -- $ --

Ephram floated next to Tidus in a strange place. It was pale and pink, remniscent of some adolescent girl's fantasy. Sparks floated about, harmless. They hovered a moment more, then set foot on something invisible serving as a floor.

“I don't really know what this place is,” Tidus explained. “Jac took me here once, through a keyhole in Destiny Islands. It's like a central hub for all the worlds. You can go anywhere from here. . . if you find the right door.”

“Is this the heart of a world?”

Tidus gave a start. His jaw hung open. “If it is, then it's the heart of all worlds. All worlds share the same heart. . .”

Ephram blinked. “What are we doing here?” He thought he felt his Keyblade's presence near him. And Tidus's too. But Oblivion's sense came from the other boy.

“Well, we're here, but not really,” Tidus admitted. “You're sleeping. I found out I could do this a while ago. I was freaked out at first, but it lets me get a break from you.”

“Am I that depressing?” Ephram gave a short laugh, but he didn't feel his own joke was funny.

“Sometimes. It's been exciting lately, though. You know, with your obsession with Keys.”

Tidus wandered towards a large empty space, a good distance away. Ephram couldn't determine it here, but. . .

He caught up quickly. “What is it?”

Tidus frowned, “There's a wound here.” He kicked at a puddle of blue liquid on the ground. “The door that was here is gone. And this world. . . it feels different.”

“Is there any way to get through?”

“Not like this,” Tidus plucked at his shirt. “We're more than whole as we are. Two hearts, two souls, one body. It'd be really hard to do if we were awake. There's a barrier that I can't get through. The other worlds might be possible. . . if you're with me. But this place is unreachable.”

Ephram was about to ask another question when a shockwave forced him to the ground.

-- $ -- $ --

An instant later, he opened his eyes, back in his room. He was on the floor again. This was nuts.

Just like I thought!

Tidus's exclamation made him jump still. He didn't answer, slipping back beneath the covers.

Those shockwaves are coming from that broken door!

Thelonepickle

I don't like bugs!
Very cool! I can see why you don't like Kaze, I guess. But Ephram's a bit depressing.

I like more happiness in my fics, but soon it's get rather sad... *slaps self* Stop talking about your own fics, TLP!

I like it!

Oathshadow

You are welcome to talk about your own fics in my threads. I talk about mine in yours. I guess I'm subconsciously changing Ephram's character. Making more like the story of KH2 and your fics makes him. But then, maybe I was going to do that anyway. He was a little like Jac in the first chapter. Enough of that. Here's chapter five.

FIVE- Rejected

Cloud woke in a cold sweat. That bloody dream again. He threw on his black suit and stalked from the room.

Aerith glanced at him a moment, frowning. Her bright eyes held no mirth today. They still glittered though. Glittered like always.

“You didn't sleep well last night,” she told him bluntly, leaning against the hallway wall. “Is it that same dream you told me about?”

“Yeah,” Cloud admitted, glancing away. He muttered quietly, “There's a new one.”

“What?”

“DiZ described a boy to me. . . he showed up around the time Ansem's shell high-tailed it out of here. I saw him last night. I wouldn't care, but he was with Ephram. And he was talking to me. Right at me. Asking me questions about Sora.”

Aerith grimaced, “Are you saying it felt real?”

Cloud huffed, “I wouldn't be saying it otherwise.”

“What did he ask?”

“It was absurd,” he shook his head, disappearing back into his room.

-- $ -- $ --

Axel was right. You do take a long time to get ready.

“Shut up, Tidus,” Ephram snapped. He looked down again, ensuring his clothes were completely without wrinkle. “She's Namine.”

If you care so much about her, why don't you say so?

Ephram rolled his eyes, “I did. A long time ago. She returned the feeling. Passionately. You happy?”

You're not. Why should I be?

“Something about me didn't change the way she wanted it to,” he whispered.

The door opened readily, revealing the light to his eyes once more. He grunted. The glare blinded him a moment, but his eyes adjusted.

Just in time to see the Heartless coming down the hall.

What the-

Oblivion weighted his right hand the next moment, his own Keyblade gracing the other an instant after.

The Heartless were like giant shadows, only thinner and well-muscled. Their antannae fell like frizzy hair, down to their feet. They spotted Ephram across the hall, jumped, and charged him.

One leapt into the air, spinning like a top as it whisked towards him. The other two remained on foot a moment, moving almost human-like.

Ephram ducked beneath the whirling Heartless, holding Oblivion up almost nonchalant. It struck with a metallic thud, exploding into black smoke.

The second lunged aside at the last instant.

Behind you!

Ephram knelt lower, jabbing forward with his left-hand blade. The third had slipped behind him somehow. How Tidus knew. . .

The fore Heartless smashed the Kingdom Key aside, its yellow eyes vacant, unassuming. Ephram rose with a twirl, holding Oblivion out wide. The third Heartless hit a wall, crumbling, but the second again evaded his blow.

It dodged several yards backwards, eyes fixed on its prey.

Ephram's eyes held the same hunting ferocity.

Heartless and Keyblade Master moved as one, but Ephram was faster. He feinted right with Oblivion, snatching his Keyblade with his free hand. The Heartless leapt onto the wall, clinging there, as Ephram launched himself off of the opposite wall.

He kicked upwards, torquing himself sideways in a barrel roll, the Kingdom Key flashing towards the Heartless. Black smoke enveloped his landing, which he felt was not as dashing as he might have wanted it to be.

Wait a second. . . weren't there three Heartless here a few seconds ago?

Tidus laughed good-naturedly. Ephram joined in with a chuckle. He said nothing.

-- $ -- $ --

A door slammed. Hard. Namine jumped, “Ephram?”

“Why didn't you tell me there were Heartless here? It's too dangerous for you! You should leave!”

Namine shook her head, facing the boy she had known so long ago. “They can't stand up to you, Ephram. And they won't come in here. I can destroy them as easily as any other Heart. That, and they fear Sora.”

“Sure,” Ephram muttered.

“You're starting to act like you used to. That devilish smile on the edge of your lips, always running around trying to save everyone. You had to save yourself more often than not.”

He blinked, frowning. “Is this. . .”

“Yes,” Namine nodded, holding a hand towards the youth floating in the egg-like chamber before them. “Sora.”

“I know,” Ephram whispered to himself, giving a light shake. “How long has it been?”

“Half a year. There may be a few more months. If I can work interrupted.”

“Sorry,” Ephram scratched his head.

Namine sniffed, fixing her eyes on Sora. With every link she buried in the darkness of his heart, she felt something in her own twinge. She felt a kinship and safety in Sora that she would lose very soon.

Ephram had been the one she was waiting for. The one. In a past life, perhaps. That seemed so long ago. He had never changed. Never really understood why he couldn't be closer to her.

“You can stay here for as long as you want,” she whispered. “It's not my castle. But I know you, Ephram. You won't stay here long. You get depressed when you're caged.”

“Namine. . .”

She took a step towards Sora, whirling about. Her pale hair fell on her face. A tear welled in her eye. “There's a lot for you to learn, if you're going to choose this path again. You can't learn it here.”

“Where do I go?”

“I don't know,” she started for him, but stopped herself. “Wherever you go, it will be filled with trouble. You're always in trouble.”

“As you keep saying,” Ephram responded sullenly.

Namine struggled with the desire to embrace him. She always struggled. If she embraced him, he would feel no compulsion to change. She couldn't accept him this way. Now that he was dead. . .

“Will you at least say good-bye?” he lowered his head as he spoke, some of the sadness he had displayed upon arrival seeping out. When would he realize that he could find no joy in his own desires?

“Sora will leave here in a few months-”

“You keep repeating yourself!”

“Keep an eye out for him, wherever you are. If you find him, stay with him.” She turned away.

Thelonepickle

I don't like bugs!
Niceness! Namine always bugged me... You'll find that out in Hollow Hearts, but whatever. This is a nice fic! Keep it up, Oathshadow!

Oathshadow

Thanks TLP. I don't mean to make Namine in any dislikeable in this, but I can't say too much about that, because that would spoil some of the relative surprises that will be going on. It might be a while before I post another chapter. School just started for me, so I'm busy.

Thelonepickle

I don't like bugs!
Oh, yeah, this is my third week of school.

Anyway, it's not your fanfic; I just think Namine's a back-stabbing crybaby.

Oathshadow

Anybody read Ender's Game? I love it. As you people say, "Updateness!" LOL.

SIX- Hunter

Leon blinked. Yuffie was climbing out of her bed like she had just got in it, frowning, but somehow still happy. Always happy.

“How late did you stay up?” he asked, not meeting her eyes.

“Axel had this really funn-”

Leon glanced at her and she cut off.

“Really late,” her second try was better, but there was no remorse in her eyes.

“You wanted me to spar today,” Leon muttered. “You'll just hurt yourself now.”

“I was thinking about-”

“Don't say anything else about Axel.”

Yuffie sniffed, wiping her mouth and working her jaw. “You really hate not doing anything, don't you? Why didn't you go with Ephram?”

“Ludicrous,” he told her coldly. “There's no-”

“Squall, give over. You're too uptight.”

If you knew what I know, Leon thought, you'd be uptight too.

-- $ -- $ --

The door came to with a heavy crash.

You have a bad habit with slamming doors.

Ephram stalked away from Namine. She wasn't the only girl he had liked. She wasn't the prettiest girl he had been able to get for himself. But she was important to him all the same. Still, she pushed him away. Why? Because he was dead? Because he was reckless and fast and indominable?

She doesn't hate you, Ephram.

“Oh no, she doesn't hate me. She pities me, and that's worse.”

Abruptly a cloud of black smoke exploded behind him. One of the large Heartless from before. He lashed out with his right hand, summoning Oblivion. The crowned teeth caught it in the gut, and it burst into more black moke.

He stood there a moment, halfway turned to watch his firm hand, precisely measured for that last killing blow.

“I'm a hunter,” he whispered to himself, “Perfect at what I do. Why can't I find what I'm looking for, then?”

You're fast, Ephram.

Tidus admitted that, but there was something else the boy had wanted to say. Ephram felt it. Goosebumps ran up his arms to follow a shiver that reached his marrow.

He released Oblivion, stepped out again, and drew in a breath. Yellow eyes watched, him, wary.

-- $ -- $ --

Six Neoshadows and several halls later, Ephram found himself at the exit. He had expected more trouble than that. None of the Heartless he dealt with lasted more than a moment against him. He would have felt proud, but he was cold inside. The power he had at his disposal was great, but he wasn't getting it all back.

Blast it, Ephram! Are you going to stew all day because of her? This is nuts. You're not concentrating on anything, so there's no way we're going to find what you're looking for.

“What am I supposed to do, come up with a plan? Come on, Tidus. It's so easy for you to tell me what I should do. What if you were in my shoes?”

I've been in worse shoes than those things. They're spiffy.

Ephram couldn't help but smile and shake his head. His shoes were relatively unscathed. They didn't exactly match his outfit, but that made him feel less girly.

Geez, you're confusing, Ephram. Who are you, anyway?

He said nothing, trudging on away from Castle Oblivion. And Namine.

-- $ -- $ --

DiZ clapped a hand on Namine's shoulder, “You sent him away.”

“The first thing you did was try and drive him away!” she whispered harshly.

“He could have stayed, but he left, because you wouldn't accept him.”

Namine nodded. “Why does it matter?” she requested, slowly.

DiZ closed his eyes. “We see things differently. You look at him and see chaos, imbalance and imperfect. Uncentered determination. He had but one goal, and you believe he'll destroy himself before achieving that goal.”

“He doesn't even know he's hunting her! The part of him that was good has forgotten me completely.”

“I believe you, but you must understand I don't doubt you're manipulating him. Hindering him.”

Namine gave him an aghast stare. Her eyes went cold. Indignant. There was no compassion for DiZ in her heart. “Don't tell me what I'm doing.” She was tempted to reach into him, his corrupted black heart, and show him what hinder really meant. But she stopped herself, barely. Where did this untold anger come from?

“Why do you want him to change, Namine? Why musn't he find her? Are you jealous?” DiZ didn't look mocking, and there was certainly none of it in his voice, but he was mocking her. Playing at her emotions, while trying to play the good-hearted person he was reputed to have been. She knew exactly what had happened to DiZ. He wasn't just a Heart anymore.

She is not to blame. It isn't her fault Keyblade Masters fall for her. Ephram doesn't even realize who it is he's looking for. At one point, he might have thought it was Sora.”

“If he stays with Sora, he will find her.”

“Sure,” Namine sneered. “That's exactly what you want, too.”

“Ephram is balanced on a thin line. Dark and light, not mixed, but broken, both of them. He is still as stable as the rest of us, and he's the one with the voice in his head.”

Funny, Namine thought. Just how stable are you, Ansem?

-- $ -- $ --

What's a gummi ship, Ephram?

“I have no idea.”

Jac was telling me about-

“Jac is alive!” Ephram sprung to his feet, leaping onto the winding road. “I thought-”

It doesn't matter anyway, Ephram. We're never going to reach him where he is. And I don't even know how I was able to talk to him.

“I knew you had been too quiet lately,” he muttered, settling himself back into the grass. It was dark, and they. . . erm, he had been walking for hours. Castle Oblivion, as was its apparent name, was far behind.

He said we could use a gummi ship to explore worlds.

“I think I know where I want to go, if we can find the way to get out of here,” he admitted.

Do you want to go back to the Heart of the Worlds? Maybe we could find some trace of what you're looking for by passing into other worlds from there.

“Sounds okay, but let me get deeper in the grass.”

-- $ -- $ --

Sora shivered again. His thoughts were stirring, memories were returning, and consciousness was within sight. But not reach. Strange dreams had flooded the Keyblade Master's consciousness. Dreams of Hollow Bastion besieged, and a blonde-haired kid wielding polar opposite Keyblades.

Sometimes words would pop into his head. Every once in a while they made sense.

Where's Kairi?

Most of the time they were random strings, the nonsense of a sleep-talker.

Now Riku stared at him. Not balefully, not sorrowfully. Just stared, as if watching an interesting specimen. He wore black. His strange sword was at his side, and everything about him was both dark and light.

Pain lanced through him at the sight of Jac. The boy he had befriended from Traverse Town. But now Jac was standing with Kairi, his arm around her, and she leaned her head against his shoulder. He felt sick.

Tidus drifted by, moving almost with ghost-like grace. His eyes held more knowledge the longer he looked.

Faces of men and women in black haunted him, smirking, and some were trying to destroy him. He could feel it. Just like he could now feel the presence of the Keyblade in the back of his mind, waiting to be summoned for real once more. No more cards, no more tricks. Just he and the Keyblade, dancing with. . .

Dancing with Heartless, alongside a man in red with a large sword. A deadly dance, almost as complex as. . .

the blond-haired boy, moving with blinding speed throughout a sea of enemies. . . and-

-- $ -- $ --

Ephram joined Tidus in what the boy called the Heart of the Worlds. They both agreed that this may well be the central hub of all the worlds. And on that premise, they searched again.

They passed the wound, where Tidus knew he could never get through. They passed several other world-doors, including the murky multicolored door that was apparently the door to Hollow Bastion.

Ephram felt like he was his Keyblade. As if they occupied the same space. Tidus seemed the same, with Oblivion. He was distracted, but he had the feeling that he was going to come upon the door to the world he searched for.

Tidus vanished. Ephram jumped, stopping himself abruptly. There was a hint at a door, a plain wooden door.

“Woah!” he whispered, and passed through.

Oathshadow

Thanks TLP. I only have two fans! Where's my following? C'mon, more people reacted to Keys! Oh well, I guess this is as good as it gets. A Monkey and a girl with a Pickle-fetish. Lol! Chapter seven is coming right up.

SEVEN- Framed

In the next instant Ephram felt the overwhelming desire to scream. Instead of passing into a new world, he slipped from Tidus's clutches into the darkness of a nightmare so real, he-

Blood, a deep, heart-shattering crimson, was caked on his hands. He still knelt beside the father of the children, shaking his head, trying to clear his thoughts and remember what had happened.

Black things crept from the alleys, watching tentatively the boy in Twilight Town's central square. Their eyes glowed yellow. The silver creatures were dead. ALL DEAD!

He had made certain of that.

His hands began to shake again. There was no controlling them, no steadying them with the seasoned rending of white flesh. Malice flashed in his eyes.

Killing them with his bare hands was not enough. He wanted to bring all those things back to life and rip them to shreds again. And again. This family. . . so much pain.

In the back of his mind he felt the Keyblade, useless against the white things, useless against anything. Why did it give him a feeling of such power?

“Ephram?” It was certainly Axel, a year or so younger, with fear in his eyes, that stepped out of the clock tower. His strange eyes fell on his dead family, fixed on the blood that still oozed a little on Ephram's hands.

The black things fixed their attention on Axel, not wary as they were with the other boy. They crept towards him.

“Axel. . .”

The terrible rage in the other boy's heart incarnated itself in livid red flame, flicking hungrily from Axel's fingertips.

“What did you do?”

Ephram!

-- $ -- $ --

He woke, panting and sweating, still shaking as he had been in his dream. It had been a dream, then, but perhaps because of Tidus's condition, it had been more. A vivid memory of the past. An answer to questions. . .

He drove thoughts of the dream from his mind with a steely grunt, heaving himself to his feet. Tidus spoke in his mind, far away now. Hatred filled him. Was it himself he despised, or something else?

The road stretched onward as always.

Are you even listening to me? Geez, Ephram. You don't make any sense at all. Make up your mind. Are you going to keep changing like this?

Namine had asked him that question once. The answer cramped his gut.

“Let's just keep going till we find what we're looking for,” he whispered.

-- $ -- $ --

Desolated and empty, the planet floated, meaningless, beyond the rift.

DiZ blinked. The image faded. Primos. The land he had seen briefly in the hologram of its failed war with the shells. There was a great deal that wasn't known. He was determined to find out from the only source left. But getting there required the use of someone who was growing more and more difficult to moniter, let alone control.

I am not a Heartless!

Not anymore, DiZ thought. Now that he was whole again.

He owed Jac a great deal. Saving his life might nullify that. Perhaps.

“My Lord,” Terxim muttered in his deep base. He was the most dedicated, the most loyal, the strongest, of his followers in the Order. He was also nearly as foolish as Axel.

“Yes?”

“I've had the privelege of watching the movements of the remaining others for some time. They seem to be spread throughout a good deal of worlds, none of which have been protected at all in the past.”

“You're forgetting Demyx,” DiZ chastized. “He's in the Netherworld.”

“We both know there's a difference. The anamolies are also positioning themselves. The King. . . he is making for Twilight Town.”

DiZ nodded, turning to his immediate subordinate. Terxim was shapeless. Not even a shell in the true sense of the word. But he was immensely gifted. In many aspects. More than a match for Sora, still. His loyalty was all that prevented him from seizing the Order.

“Riku has vanished completely.”

“What of Nox?”

“He's still at the rift, trying to determine a way for someone without the Ghost-Key to pass through.”

“I see,” smiling, DiZ folded his arms. “Join him. Ephram will find the path of greatest resistance, tear through it as if it were tissue paper, and find that his search still won't have ended. He is astounding.”

“All of them are. Your pet project, the Dark One, Ephram, and Sora. Especially Sora.”

He appreciates Sora's power. Good. But he could never truly understand hearts. Nothing like Terxim could.

“Before you go, make sure Ephram has a chance at getting somewhere.”

-- $ -- $ --

Ephram summoned his Keyblade, staring at it. It was still not much use to him, after all he had convinced himself of its power. Most of his Heartless-killing was done with Oblivion. Tidus's Key was more powerful.

He reached in his pocket for the paopu fruit. It was still linked to a chain. Sneering, he attached it to the Keyblade, saw it become Oathkeeper, and sent it away.

I guess the dream world won't get us anywhere. That was Destiny Islands, my home, I went to. But I lost my grip as soon as I passed through. Sorry.

“Not your fault,” he scratched his shock of hair, frowning.

What's that?

Ephram felt Tidus draw his attention to something moving behind them. How the heck did he do that?

A black figure stood before them. . . him. . . his legs spread wide, arms folded casually.

“You wish to leave this place.” he almost stated it as fact more than asking.

Ephram called both Keys to him. “Maybe.”

“You've nothing to fear from me. I've no time, so you must go.” The black-robed figure raised his hands, a neon pink light spraying softly from them. Ephram reacted immediately, dodging sideways as he lunged forwards.

The light caught his arms, squeezing tightly. For a moment, Ephram felt a wave of disappointment sweep over him. He'd never been so helpless.

Then light pierced his chest, and he felt Tidus cackle eerily.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back