• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Fanfiction ► Ephram's Journey

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thelonepickle

I don't like bugs!
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH! I must borrow this from K_K. THE PLOT THICKINS! WITH HAIR!

Anyway, wow, awesome chapter. Can't wait for the next.

AND I DO NOT HAVE A PICKLE FETISH! Well, I do... BUT WHATEVER!

Oathshadow

I'll try not to ruin the hair. And I won't tell anyone about your fetish. I like pickles too. Just not as much as you. Anyway, I've spent a while writing chapts today, so after Eight I'm going to bed. Night!

EIGHT- Navigator

Namine felt out Sora's heart, still trying to piece together how it all worked. This was the most difficult, time-consuming part. Putting back a memory that she hadn't even taken away. Maybe it wasn't her place to remind Sora of his promise to Jac not to let anything happen to him. Jac hadn't really been told by Sora that he had a guardian angel, that Sora wanted nothing more to ensure that Jac was not harmed because of him. He had forgotten that, forgotten his feeling inadequate for Kairi, forgotten giving Oblivion to Jac.

She decided at last not to return his lost memories of Jac where they didn't fit. He had been a different person around Jac. They had trusted each other equally, and without doubt had formed a bond that neither really understood. A friendship as close as he shared with Donald and Goofy.

Closer. No romance. The thougth would have made Sora flush with apparent confusion, though Namine knew every time it was all the Keyblade Master could do but contain his fury. He hated the thought. But close enough to be more than friends. Brothers.

She was sorry for not bringing back those memories, but somehow Sora had forgotten that without his help. That disturbed her.

Moving on, she began to tear down the last link she had forged in Sora's memory. . . the memory of the final confrontation with Marluxia.

-- $ -- $ --

Ephram never lost consciousness, nor felt pain from the light. He blinked once, and was standing within some sort of room, with a single chair surrounded by controls.

“What the-”

A gummy ship.

Tidus's voice was almost reverent. He giggled again, that dark guffaw that chilled Ephram to the marrow. The wicked delight of it!

“He could have done that a better way,” he muttered. He could never really mutter to himself anymore, he realized. He was always muttering to Tidus.

Well, are you going to try and fly this thing?

“Fly it? Are you serious?” Ephram laughed coldly, slipping into the chair. He was a little puzzled about the disappearance of the Keys, but he didn't mind. They were still there, in the back of his mind.

It looks simple. That's the joystick.

Ephram noted it, but he was more concerned with seeing where he was. There was no image of the outside. But there was a button with the image of a window stitched on it.

“Here,” he whispered. The button gave quickly, followed by a soft whoosh that revealed a strange multicolored space that must have been just that. Space.

That's a little freaky, if you ask me.

“You should hear yourself laugh,” Ephram seized the joystick, yawing right. The gummi ship responded tenderly, rolling the same direction.

Funny, Ephram.

The ship barreled left, moving forward slightly. He felt some sort of pedal beneath his foot, and pressed.

It charged forward.

“Excellent.”

-- $ -- $ --

Nox felt himself shudder irrepressively. Terxim was here.

“Hi,” he called over his shoulder, keeping his eyes fixed on the representation of the rift.

“Still studying?”

“Yes,” Nox sniffed, scratched beneath his eyeglasses, and clenched his fist on the projectile weapon in his hand. Terxim wasn't the only one with energy weapons. “The rift isn't even visible to the naked eye. But its still there, somehow.”

“What's this, then?” Terxim moved the way that meant satisfaction.

“Light doesn't go past it,” Nox sniffed. “It just stops when it hits. So I spread light, and the darkness, the part you wouldn't see. . . that's the part you're seeing now.”

“Clever, Nox.”

Clever, Nox. Very clever.

Vexen was a prick. Good think he was gone now. Photoanalysis was his work!

“Don't suck up to me, Xim. I don't work well without pressure. You know well. So does Ansem.”

“His name is DiZ now.”

“Just because he wants to stand out. Finding a bunch of talented people, giving them new names that have x's in them. He's manipulative.”

“Not anymore.”

“Now, more than ever,” Nox blinked. “When he looks to have been changed, now he's got control over us all.”

Terxim's hood shook. “Then what are you going to do?”

“Nothing.”

-- $ -- $ --

What now?

“No idea,” Ephram leaned back. A world, by all appearances, was before them. It was large and mostly dark. There was a huge clock tower protruding ponderously from the bottom.

This looks bad. Should we go in?

“In?” he blinked. “I think we can try.”

He eased his foot onto the pedal. The gummi ship lurched forward.

He had thought for a moment he would land the ship, but in the next instant he was blinded by bright light, and then his surroundings changed again.

He was on the deck of a pirate ship.

Lovely.

Tidus put it better than anything he could have said.

Heartless swooped low on dark wings, dancing pseudo-gracefully. Oblivion and Oathkeeper sparked into Ephram's hands. He waited.

One of the raiders ducked to his height, throwing a swift kick at his chest. He swept himself upwards and backwards, crossing his Keys at the center of the attacker.

The kick landed on his arm, throwing Oblivion off. Oathkeeper got off as well, but still blew through the creature. He was starting to get sick of second-hand Heartless smoke.

Behi-

He was getting sick of that too. Oblivion jabbed into a second attacker, arcing down into a crack in the ship's decking.

Ephram left the Key where it stuck. Oathkeeper flashed up and down, leaving a trail of twin black clouds.

“There's a lot.”

“Hey!” A red-headed boy came flying out a door nearby. He bore a knife, flicking back and forth, absolving Heartless at a steady rate. “Get inside! I can't hold 'em forever!”

Ephram leapt up the ladder, having yanked Oblivion free of the floorboards. The door wasn't far enough for any more Heartless to reach him. He jumped inside, watching the knife-fighter wheel throught he air. He cut through three with a flurry and rolled within, slamming the door closed.

“They're crazy lately!” he gasped out, grinning devilishly. “Peter Pan.”

“Ephram.”

“You've got that weird Key. Do you know Sora?”

Ephram blinked. He nodded, letting his weapons fade. “How do you know him?”

Peter smiled again. “We had a heck of a time with the ol' Cap'n, and he took Tink with him. She's back now.”

Something small and glittery danced by, gesturing to the red-haired boy.

That's Tink?

“She doesn't think you're like Sora. Too. . . unbelieving.”

“Eh. . .” Ephram glanced away. “Is there anyone else here?”

“Nope,” Peter admitted. “Wendy's. . . at home. I haven't seen her for a while.” He looked sad. Immensely sad.

“Hey, I didn't mean-”

“Don't worry about it. That's my problem.”

This guy's as confusing as you are.

No, Ephram thought back. No one is.

“What now?” he asked aloud.

Peter shook his head. “No idea.”

Ephram laughed.

Thelonepickle

I don't like bugs!
Ooh! You made Peter Pan not too dorky! AND EPHRAM'S A CONFUSED TEENAGER! I'M GONNA TELL HIS MAMA!

J/k.... Anyway, yeah... UPDATE!

Oathshadow

I'll update soon. I'm working on Chapter 9 now. You may not even see Ephram in it at all. . .

Who likes the name Terxim for the Enigmatic Man?

And who thinks Nox is a way better nerd than Vexen?

Thelonepickle

I don't like bugs!
I HATE Vexen! Nox is way cooler! Gosh darn it! Can't wait for the next chap, even if it lacks Ephram!

VEXEN IS A FUNGUS BALL MUFFIN STUFFER!

Oathshadow

Thanks. Here's 9.
NINE- Assault

Terxim moved to Nox's side, aware that the blips of nothing on the screen were not usual. “What is it?” he asked, laying a gloved hand on an empty panel.

Nox shook his head, his unruly curls spilling nonchalantly away from the beady eyes behind his spectacles, “They are from the other side of the rift. There's no other explanation. I'll switch to normal viewing.”

In a moment the screen changed from the appearance of torn parchment to a vivid image of countless white. . . things. . . moving through the multicolored space, all from an enormous black void. The rift.

“How could you not see it before?” Terxim demanded with a detatched frustration.

“Something changed a few months ago,” Nox admitted. “Instead of being invisible as it had been, the rift emerged, and it had been growing steadily until two days ago.”

There looked to be something else the scientist was about to say. Terxim urged, “And?”

“Those things are shells, and they're headed straight for the station.”

Terxim would have blinked in surprise if he had eyes. “We're hidden,” he muttered numbly.

“Sheah, about as hidden as the Order can get. We stick out like sore thumbs in these things!” Nox fingered his dark robe, which was, in fact, two shades lighter than the rest of the Order robes.

“How long till they get here?”

To answer, the station shook, spilling Nox from his chair. His pulse gun was in his hand in a flash. Terxim would have fallen too. But disembodied souls have an incredible sense of balance.

With a swish, the door opened. Shells piled in. Their mouths each held eerie lipless grins, their blank eyes fixed on Nox.

“I'm not going the way of Greasy,” the scientist muttered under his breath, raising his weapon.

The first shell tumbled away, a hole seared in its pale fabric. But there were many, and they ignored Terxim. Nox was their prey.

But Nox was a formidable opponent. He leapt to his feet, his gun kicking slightly as he rattled away. In moments he was in the air, his feet dangling above the ground. Hovering was something he excelled at. Much better than any others in the order.

Except, perhaps, Terxim.

“Nox!”

The scientist extended his free hand, an orb of ice materializing in front of it. In an instant it dashed away, freezing a pair of shells. The next moment Nox was standing amidst a dance of lightning.

“Nox!” Terxim cut a swath through the shells, though they seemed oblivious to him. His light-blades snapped back and forth lightly, leaving steaming bodies in their wake.

Nox began speeding his spells and shots, trying to keep the creatures at bay. They were swarming him.

Terxim would have felt distress and horror, had he any emotion at all. He needed Nox alive. Nox was an asset the Order couldn't afford to lose.

“Terxim,” Nox whispered. “Help.” His face was beginning to look haggard.

He was trying! Terxim slashed across a distracted opponent.

But it was no use. There were already hundreds of shells in the room, and they were still pouring through the door.

“Nox!” Terxim slipped through one of the shells. It felt like. . . hell.

For an instant he tried to continue, but shells were moving through him as if he weren't there. The experience was uncomfortable like nothing he could imagine. He writhed on the ground, groaning.

Nox went down, Thunder flaring from his fingertips one last time, then screamed.

Terxim felt something cold inside, something he had once known as despair. The shells milled about for a long time afterwards, still unaware of the soul in their midst.

When he could control himself again, he fled as quickly as possible. DiZ must know of this at once.

-- $ -- $ --
Sora shuddered. Consciousness was a foot or so away, but he couldn't yet extend his arm. He could think, somehow, but there wasn't anything to think about. Thoughts didn't obey him. Nothing did. He had tried to summon the Keyblade more than once.

It was only a matter of time. Impatience filled him. I want out!

Last edited:

Thelonepickle

I don't like bugs!
“I'm not going the way of Greasy,” the scientist muttered under his breath, raising his weapon.

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice! XD

Great chap. I dig the violence.

Oathshadow

Sorry that last one isn't centered, and it's mostly italicized. I don't know how that happened. Stupid Quickreply thingamajiger. I'll start working on chapter ten eventually. I thought you'd like the Greasy comment, too. Maybe Nox knew Hollow? That'd be funny!

Poor Terxim. . .:eek: Keys is dead! *sobs* It's on the fifth page! *shakes quietly* Why? It's gone! *weeps* Erm. . .:eek:. Yeah.

I fixed the problems with chapter nine, and I think I might start writing ten.

Last edited:

Thelonepickle

I don't like bugs!
Cool! Yeah, your characters knowing my characters is fine with me. A MIX OF TWO (If I may say so) AWESOME FICS!

Anyway, yeah, nice! Can't wait for the next chapter!

As for Keys... Let it go, man. It's still here. Let it go. I'll get Yuna to Send it, along with The Human Heartless. Which shouldn't have a capital "The", but does anyway. HA HA!

Oathshadow

Well, here's ten. :p

TEN- Confused and not-so-alone

Peter led them. . . erm. . . him (poor Ephram can't escape dual body ownership with Tidus) deeper into the ship. No Heartless attacked, but Ephram still didn't feel safe. There was something wrong here. Something. . .

“Tink?” Pan called out, his hand flying to his knife. Ephram noticed that strange point of light was gone.

“What happened?” he called up Oathkeeper, turning to watch behind them. Not that he needed to. Tidus had apparently put eyes in the back of his head. How did he do that?

“Where'd she go?” Peter scowled, his knife now in his hand. “Tink?”

Something dark glanced at them from around a corner. Ephram blinked, and it was gone.

“Did you see that?”

“Yes,” Pan acknowledged grimly. “Sora's shadow started haunting this place as soon as he left.”

“His shadow?”

Peter raised off the ground. “I dunno. It looks just like Sora.” He looked really concerned.

Something else drew on ephram's courage. There was something waiting that was very dark. Darker than this shadow of Sora, whatever it was.

Surprise, Ephram. Riku's here.

“Who?”

“What was that, Ephram?” Pan whirled around in midair. ?The next instant Sora's shadow struck.

Peter and the thing went down in a heap, its black claws grappling to rid Pan of his knife. Ephram felt Tidus's awareness spike and spun around.

“You're Ephram?” the boy standing there queried. He wore the black uniform of the order, but it felt different on him. Like it fit him better than anyone in the Order. Darkness washed from the boy in droves, though his hair was pale and his eyes bright.

Riku?

Pan cried out. Ephram spun about, but the two combatants had vanished.

“What the-?”

“Pan can take care of himself,” Riku smiled faintly. “If you are Ephram, then I've got something to tell you.”

He's so much different. . . so dark. . .

“What do you want?” Ephram demanded.

“You won't find what you're looking for here.” Riku flicked his hand, a bitter look on his face, and darkness enveloped Ephram.

“Hey!”

-- $ -- $ --

The gummi ship looked exactly the same. Only Peter Pan lay on a strange bed in a corner. There was something wrong. His usually smiling face had gone completely slack.

“This is nuts,” Ephram muttered, staggering into the pilot seat.

Is Pan okay?

“We'll find out,” Ephram opened the viewport.

When?

“After we get in the middle of nowhere again.”

Last edited:

Oathshadow

Chapter 11! Tidusness! I like the Tidus in my fic a whole lot better than the Tidus in KH.

ELEVEN- Dreamlord

Tidus folded himself away from Ephram's consciousness. The boy was just too much sometimes. Like when he was flying around like he had mad cow disease.

The Heart of the Worlds was as pink and empty as always. He went to the wound, quickly, and watched it like he always did when Ephram slept. The funny thing about not having a body is you don't need to sleep.

“You're in there,” Tidus whispered. “Why'd you leave me behind? I was going to go with you. Going to make up for my failures. You can't die, Jac. Not yet. I have to find you first.” He reached out his hand, fully aware that he was his Keyblade here. Just before he could push his hand through, he felt something pale and gruesome.

Shells!

Tidus! I can-

“Ephram!” Tidus opened up and shouted, “I suppose I couldn't get away with privacy when I invade yours all day!”

Sure, I guess.

“Did you want something?”

Erm. . . what are you doing?

“Looking around, finding things out that you don't even want to know. Lording it over my subjects.”

What?

“Obviously you forgot my Dreamlord comment,” Tidus laughed. He backed away from the wound and moved quickly for the door to Destiny Islands.

I felt something really. . . really. . .

Ephram's disembodied voice quivered with unspeakable hate.

-- $ -- $ --

Tidus gasped, standing with dark creatures to watch a younger Ephram do battle with Axel. He had seen dreams like before. It troubled him to watch Ephram have them. But he'd never experienced one before.

Axel spun away over something lying bloody on the ground. “Murderer!” he screamed. His voice was hoarse. . . cracking. He did look like he was going through puberty.

Ephram just stood there, his Keyblade held nonchalantly at his side. He was bloody fast. Tidus had never seen a dream where Ephram actually did combat. It made the new Ephram look slow.

Axel called up a wheel of fire and launched it. Ephram didn't move until the last instant, then, he simply jumped a few feet in the air. The fire passed harmlessly. But Axel called it back with a vehement yank of his arm.

Ephram dropped to the ground, catching the fire with his Keyblade. It spun around a few times, then blew back at Axel.

Tidus watched Ephram's face. There was a bitterness there. But there was something else. A pain, set deep, deep with. It made him wince.

Ephram hadn't once attacked Axel. He counterattacked, yes, but he never went on a true offensive.

The fire hit Axel but did nothing.

“Coward! Come at me! Show me what you got!”

Axel jumped forward, chakrams sizzling into his hands. He moved towards Ephram's right, carefully avoiding the bodies on the ground.

Ephram caught the first chakram with the Key's teeth, jamming his knee into Axle's other fist. After a moment, both dropped. Finally, Ephram caught Axel in a firm headlock.

A fierce anger flashed on the blonde boy's face. Tidus staggered backwards. Ephram never ceased to surprise him, even if he knew what was coming. The next instant the anger was gone, replaced by horror. Instense, complete terror.

-- $ -- $ --

Ephram screamed before he woke. Sweating, he thrust his head into his hands, trying to block the images from his mind.

Ephram?

He was well able to ignore Tidus, but he kept seeing Axel's dead family, their blood stained on his hands. Fighting Axel for no reason but survival. Self-loathing. Pointless self-loathing. He had no reason to hate himself. Did he?

Hey. Where are we?

“I dunno,” Ephram scrubbed at his eyes. Out there in space was a coliseum. A coliseum!

Oathshadow

This one is a little short, sorry, but here.

TWELVE- Provided for

For a moment Ephram expected to be yanked from the gummi ship again, like last time. Instead, they just hung there, motionless.

“Eh?” Peter Pan sat up. His eyes widened a moment when he noticed his surroundings. Then they went to Ephram. “What happened?”

“I don't know anything more than you.”

Pan moved to get in the air, but he never budged. He sat there, staring into space for a long time.

“Are you okay?”

“@$#&! no!” Peter jumped off the cot. His normally uncaring eyes flared with rage. “I can't fly! I can't fly!” He uttered a string of curses that made Tidus cringe, but Ephram ignored them. He thought he understood what it meant to lose something of incredible value.

I guess you're right.

“Quit reading my mind,” Ephram whispered moodily.

Pan glanced at him, scowled, and stalked awkward away. He found a door somewhere and disappeared.

Maybe we should explore too.

Ephram spun around again, staring at the coliseum looming ahead. It could wait. He followed Peter through the door in the back.

It wasn't a large ship. There were three rooms large enough to sleep in, a lavatory, and a room with. . . food!

Ephram found this last. Pan sat there surrounded by food, a scowl on his stuffed face. “Go away!” he growled.

Ephram held his gaze, though. He said nothing, but his look was meaningful.

What are you up to?

Peter cursed at him, waving a hand half-heartedly. He seemed so. . . broken. Already. Ephram understood. He wanted to comfort the poor guy, but that wouldn't be accepted. Peter Pan wanted to be left alone. So he would be.

Ephram slipped back into the pilot chair a minute later. He couldn't be sure how a visit to this coliseum would turn out. But he was confident in his ability to defend himself. His only real worry was the danger Peter might be put in if he followed. From the little time he knew the strange boy, he could tell that flight was his most valued skill. To have lost it. . .

It shouldn't be too bad. Let's just go.

Thelonepickle

I don't like bugs!
If you give Peter an outfit change, he'll actually be a cool character. Sorta.

Anyway, nice chaps! I read the 11th before, and I can't believe I didn't post on it! SORRY!

Oathshadow

I'll live. I may post another chapter when I get back from Homecoming game (Crash crash! Lol) but it'll be late and I have research and I'm going to be in New York for a week and I have to call Liz. Yes, that's the girl that's too squishy for you. She's also. . . yeah.
I have a life outside Kingdom Hearts. Not much of one, but it's still there.:D

As for Peter. . . I don't like him right now. I do think it's cool how he has to deal with losing his flight, but his mouth is revolting. I only have him this way because I'm sure that's what he'd be like if he suddenly couldn't fly. He's such a jerk in the game. Actually, Peter Pan's just a jerk period.

Thelonepickle

I don't like bugs!
Well, yes, but the conflict between Peter and Ephram holds my attention. And that's saying something. It's always fun to watch people who have one thing in common fight... SORRY! I like conflict!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back