• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

EU Version of DDD only with English, French and German subtitles.

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rix

:)
Awards
All the KH games have been released in Norway in englihs with english subs. And that's fine by me. I understand that it sucks for other countries that is used to dubs/subs though.

But I hope they'll continue to not dub the games in norwegian.. That would've been kinda awkward.

Gexus

KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
All the KH games have been released in Norway in englihs with english subs. And that's fine by me. I understand that it sucks for other countries that is used to dubs/subs though.

But I hope they'll continue to not dub the games in norwegian.. That would've been kinda awkward.

Åpne ditt hjerte! Led meg til evig mørke!

Kingdom Hearts! Fyll meg med mørkets makt!

Hahahahaha, it'd be splendid :')

Rix

:)
Awards
Åpne ditt hjerte! Led meg til evig mørke!

Kingdom Hearts! Fyll meg med mørkets makt!

Hahahahaha, it'd be splendid :')

hahahahaha. omg. I can almost imagine the voice actors they would use already xD

Cherryjuice

There's an easy solution to all of this. Learn some English. I can't say I'm feeling too sorry just because people won't get to play a game in their language. Mostly because your special treatment is the sole reason why the rest of Europe always have to wait at least half a year more than the rest of the world to play a game that has already been translated into English for the American release. And what do we get out of it? Absolutely nothing. We've had no choice but to get used playing games in English. We never get any dubs or subs in our languages, nor are we less entitled to them than those of you who do - yet we don't whine about not getting any.
Now this is some adventurous theory. Most text-heavy JRPGs are released with English text only in Europe nowadays anyway especially when they are not mainstream or aimed at children (not that I mind though - I can understand them just fine). And they STILL take >6 months to be released here.
On the other hand there are lots of games that have multi-5 text and were released in NA and EU simultaneously.

So if you've ever wondered why Europe always seems to get screwed over by game developers, now you know why.
I srsly doubt that this is true for every game not released in Europe.

I do get your point though. It's pretty unfair to those who still have to stick with the English version when others get their very own localisation. But Multi-5 seems to be about to die out anyway...

Nayru's Love

Why don't you play in Hell?
Awards
Nonsense. Please justify to me why all of the countries in Europe where people don't speak French, German, Spanish or Italian should a) be "forced" to learn English then
Uh...My point's that they shouldn't be forced to learn English. Or, to phrase it better, shouldn't be put in a position where they have to choose between learning a new language and dropping the series.

and b) must wait for a multi-language release with languages they don't speak when they can do just fine with an English only release?
Cherryjuice spelled out my thoughts.

That, and in the end, it's just a game. Even if this wasn't a case of laziness from any particular gaming company or whatever, it's not like we're talking about a second Holocaust. What's so bad about waiting half a year for the convenience of others?

Magnus

Silver Member
Awards
Uh...My point's that they shouldn't be forced to learn English. Or, to phrase it better, shouldn't be put in a position where they have to choose between learning a new language and dropping the series.

Oh yes, poor people. Having to learn English is such a bad thing. It's not like it's the most commonly used language for international communication. Oh wait...

Maybe you didn't know this, but they are actually being taught English in school. They only have themselves to blame if they don't care enough to pay attention. And unfortunately, a lot of them don't.

You really are missing the point though. Why should the rest of us be forced to learn English and not them? You completely fail to explain why you think some countries should have everything dubbed and subbed and others not. Why can't it be the other way around, for example?

Cherryjuice spelled out my thoughts.

That, and in the end, it's just a game. Even if this wasn't a case of laziness from any particular gaming company or whatever, it's not like we're talking about a second Holocaust. What's so bad about waiting half a year for the convenience of others?

Not really. I will address this further in my reply to her. Several developers have explained in interviews that their games were released much later in Europe because they had to be translated into other languages.

Surely, in this day and age a game could be released in English only at first and then people could download subs and dubs as DLC later on if needed. More than half of Europe should not have to wait for a select few countries where a lot of people unlike the rest of us are too lazy to learn an international language. At the very least, they shouldn't mind if countries who are used to playing games in English get games a little bit earlier if possible.

Now this is some adventurous theory

Like I said, several game developers have confirmed that this has been the main reason for their games not being released here until many months after it's been released throughout the rest of the world. Hideo Kojima, for example. New games in the Metal Gear Solid series used to be released much later here, because they needed to make sure that the European dubs were of high quality. And the Journey collection won't be released here because of "localisation issues". Then we have games like Twisted Metal for the PS3, which was too violent for Germany so they censored it and the rest of Europe had to make do with the censored copy because Twisted Metal is not popular enough here for it to have been profitable to press a separate disc for Germany and a regular one for the rest of us.

It's all about money. Not about fairness. Developers make sure to please the bigger markets like Germany and France, since they represent a large chunk of their potential customers. No one cares about Ukraine, Greece or Denmark. Since they're not big enough to make or break the success of a European release, they just have to make do with what they get. That's the sad reality. Money talks.

That being said, we don't always get screwed over. But that's because certain developers actually make an effort to make sure that a simultaneous worldwide release is top priority. And it is certainly true that a game could take a bit longer to be released here even without a multi-language option, but that is pretty much a thing of the past. The reason why is because in addition to "needing" more translations, European games had to be converted into 50 Hz. Nowadays we use either NTSC or PAL60, which is actually superior to NTSC, so we thankfully no longer have that problem.

Last edited:

Moonlight Aqua

~Living in a dream~
Awards
The Hut has changed the date too.
No te precupas. :3 Todo va estar bien, no?

That's good! Sometimes if people make a big deal of it and post on the official forums of the companies or send emails to them, they sometimes change their minds. I seen it happen, especially when Assassin's Creed Revelations was barely coming out, I was on the official forums quite a lot and somethings we didn't like, we said it and they would listen.

Nayru's Love

Why don't you play in Hell?
Awards
Oh yes, poor people. Having to learn English is such a bad thing. It's not like it's the most commonly used language for international communication. Oh wait...

Regardless of whether or not English is a useful language, that doesn't change whether or not it's fair for someone to learn it over a game. I see your point, though.

Maybe you didn't know this, but they are actually being taught English in school. They only have themselves to blame if they don't care enough to pay attention. And unfortunately, a lot of them don't.

I wouldn't say "themselves." I've been taking Spanish for a few years and have been acing that shit since the start. Can I understand a native speaker perfectly? Hell no. Even if it wasn't because of poor quality of learning, learning another language fluently is going to be tough either way, especially if it's English.

Disregarding early-age learning, of course.

You really are missing the point though. Why should the rest of us be forced to learn English and not them? You completely fail to explain why you think some countries should have everything dubbed and subbed and others not. Why can't it be the other way around, for example?

So you're from a country that doesn't primarily speak one of the major languages. Alright, that makes more sense.

At the core of your argument, I can agree with you. I understand how it can be unfair for someone like you to wait for a game because of circumstances not involving you. However, there are some things regarding the wait that I disagree on. For one, six months still seems like a rather extreme case of waiting; Developing for multiple languages obviously must be a factor, but it's not like we can't blame company efficiency or what type of game it is. MGS, for example, seems like a game that requires a fckton of voice-acting.

And, like I said, even six months doesn't seem to me something to complain about. It's a game, and we have lives.

Magnus

Silver Member
Awards
I see your point, though.

I'm only arguing out of principle though. I wouldn't care for a dub in my language. Nor would the majority of the people from my country. Subs are okay though. We're so used to watching movies, playing games and listening to music in English that it would just feel awkward to hear something in our language. Countries like France and Germany are very conservative when it comes to their languages. For some reason, they feel like they're best preserved by ignoring pretty much every other language out there. That's why everything, and I mean everything, is dubbed in these countries. They're used to hearing Hollywood actors dubbed in their language and they've been doing this for so long that they've actually become good at it, even though it still sounds incredibly odd to the rest of us to hear Jennifer Aniston speaking German with a voice that doesn't sound anything like her.

I visited a school in Kiel, Germany once. Not that many students spoke English. I asked one of the few who did why his classmates weren't even able to carry even the most simple conversation in English, and he basically said that they didn't feel like they would ever have any use for it because weren't planning on an international career or ever leaving Germany for that matter.

But I do think that these countries are changing, slowly but surely. Younger generations are more likely to learn English now than ever before thanks to the internet and the rise of social media in our everyday life. And it actually is possible to preserve a language and still have an entire population be able to communicate in English if needed. Iceland is a great example of such a country. You can probably count their loan words on one hand.

Anyway, I really think DLC is the way to go in the future when it comes to additional dubs and subs. It would make things so much easier.

ShardofTruth

Unchained
Awards
You're still missing the point Re:Magnus: not all forms of entertainment are of English origin.
Why don't you import a Japanese console and game even if that would mean no censorship and shorter waiting time? Because its expensive and you can understand English better, that's why. Would you read a German book or watch a French movie if they are not dubbed in English? Probably not.

Your "everything must be in English because I can understand the language"-attitude is not any better than the attitude of some people wanting a Spanish or Italian dub. In terms of numbers after common Chinese Spanish is the most natively spoken language in the world, why should a dub be less reasonable than an English one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back