• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Ever felt really stupid buying a game? (Rant)

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

sephydark

Awards
I bought the Mass Effect trilogy based off playing a little of the first one at a friend's house, then when I was partway through the first one I realized that relying so heavily on dialogue choices really hurt the story for me. Seemed like a huge waste since I had two more games that I didn't even touch.

Blackrazor187

Awards
Website
www.rogueotakugamer.com
I bought the Mass Effect trilogy based off playing a little of the first one at a friend's house, then when I was partway through the first one I realized that relying so heavily on dialogue choices really hurt the story for me. Seemed like a huge waste since I had two more games that I didn't even touch.

I really fucking hate how in Persona none of the dialogue choices matter unless you're playing the devil survivor games.

Hamster Lord

Atrocity Exhibition
Awards
I wouldn't say stupid necessarily, but the saga of MGSV from Ground Zeroes setting up intense intrigue and being insanely fun and then The Phantom Pain being what it was was so disappointing that I just stopped playing games all together for like 2 years. Add some salt in the wound with the whole PT/Konami debacle and I was just done with it all.

Awards
Sonic Forces. I actually haven’t played a modern Sonic game since Sonic Heroes (not counting the GBA or DS games)
It was incredibly short and repetitive. Totally not worth it.
Also, Bloodborne. I’ve never been so frustrated at how hard a game is. I couldn’t even get past the very first part of the game.

Veevee

Awards
Final Fantasy 13. Was looking forward to playing it, accepted that there was little to play at first and mostly cutscenes, but oh boy, I didn't really get the game. The battle system was no fun and basically played itself. The dialogue was weird - Hope dude just lost his mother and Vanille was all like "oh, it's fine! Everything's fine! Everything's fun! Yay!" - what? that's weird at best and extremely inconsiderable at worst.
I didn't get the story. From what I got you were done when you accepted the crystal curse, but also when you resisted it. There was a shitload of foreign terms that came in way too fast to put them into context and reading these stiff library entries certainly didn't improve that much. I completely lost it when I was randomly attacked by two goddesses who turned into ... motorcycles (which no one questioned, of course).

I wouldn't dare to say it was bad, I was probably dumb, but the game certainly didn't help me in any way. Too many artifical lore words at once, presented in a hasty or stiff way, strange character interactions, complicated? battle system and way too many cutscenes to really get into playing. I surrendered after six hours or so and would like to replay it someday, but I certainly fear I'd still be too dumb to understand the game on a fundamental level.

Idreamaboutcats

Awards
Again, Sims. I got that stupid star wars pack because I'm still a slave of EA and my completionist OCD.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
Sonic Forces. I actually haven’t played a modern Sonic game since Sonic Heroes (not counting the GBA or DS games)
It was incredibly short and repetitive. Totally not worth it.
Also, Bloodborne. I’ve never been so frustrated at how hard a game is. I couldn’t even get past the very first part of the game.
As Chronicles was the closest we got to an Archie Sonic game, so too was Forces the closest to a SatAM game. And boy is that depressing.

Idreamaboutcats

Awards
After I got the platinum for that game, I sold it and never looked back. I love the Sims but those damn expansions are addictive.
I…can’t…stop!

*clicks pre-order button instead of waiting for sale*

I blame EA for this. Oh well, looks like I have to wait till MoM is on sale!

Smithee

Awards
The Wii version of WWE SmackDown Vs. Raw 2008. Waggle-fail controls; and barebones features compared to the 360, PS3, and even PS2 versions.
P.S.: Thankfully, 2009's Wii version was much better (yes, even the waggle).

Last edited:

The Dead Skin

like tears in rain.
Awards
Almost. I pre-ordered Ninja Theory's DmC Devil may Cry on Steam, out of curiosity. Then before the game was released I saw the writing on the wall and asked for a refund.

Somehow I got it, back when Steam did not have a refund policy, and used the money to buy the PC version of Sonic and All-Stars Racing Transformed. Football Manager was, and always will be, my main in that game.

I really fucking hate how in Persona none of the dialogue choices matter unless you're playing the devil survivor games.

Turning character development into a game mechanic seriously messed up the story writing in Persona 4 and 5. Not only that—because the main character is supposed to be a player avatar, the player character is the only party member with any real agency within the plot, and it's boring as hell.

Chuuya

scared of any fandom I'm part of
Awards
Whenever I hear someone mention Sims, I get awful flashbacks to me playing Sims 3 on the Wii so I gotta say that's the game for me. I don't want to venture through memory lane describing the experience other than it was buggy and I couldn't build a home from scratch so that never made my child-self happy. But I played that more than My Sims Party on the Wii so Idk cause I barely remember playing that game.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
Punch-Time Explosion.

Both versions.

I was a dumb kid back in the day.
I remember a video interview of a dev for that game calling out Nintendo for Brawl's shortcomings & how PTE would improve on the formula at least as far as the Story Mode was concerned. In hindsight, it was a bit of a red flag.

EDIT: found it. Jump to 3:08

Last edited:

Vulpes XIII

Awards
My list would be:

Sonic 06, Sonic Boom, and Sonic Forces - I loved Sonic games as a kid I started with the adventure series as well as Sonic R and Sonic the fighters and kept buying the games as I was growing up, However Sonic 06 is when I noticed the decline in the games, however at time I thought it was just one bad game because they then released Sonic Generations which was good. However given how much I enjoyed the series growing up I convinced myself to buy Sonic Boom and Sonic Forces because I wanted to give the series another chance because I kept hoping that the next game would be good, however after Sonic Forces I decided to give up on the series completely.

Pokemon Ultra Moon and Pokemon Lets Go - I have Played Pokemon games since Blue came out on the GameboyColour and I have always enjoyed the games however Ultra Moon was the first game I have disliked and the first Pokemon game I never finished but that was because it was the same as Moon and the extra content didn’t change that, honestly I would of probably liked the game if they waited a few years before releasing it. As for Pokemon Let’s Go tried it and didn’t like it simple as that. Although Shield was good, I have to admit the series has declined over the last few games and honestly I finding myself losing interest in the franchise.

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Gates to Infinity- It is a great series in my opinion but given the previous games where really good with Explorers of the Sky being the best in my opinion. I honestly have no idea how they messed up so badly with Gates to Infinity.

Luigi Mansion 2 and Mario Sticker Star - In my opinion these games were bad and I can’t believe they are part of the same series as awesome games such as the original Luigi Mansion and Paper Mario The Thousand Year Door.

Final Fantasy 13 - This would of been the first of the numbered Final Fantasy games I ever played and I regret buying it. Glad I didn’t let it put me of buying numbered games because Final Fantasy 7 and 9 were great.

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
Not really, I just sell it on eBay. Granted, it's a loss when you take eBay fees into consideration but it's still money and a review score.

ROXAS_32

Lobo Solitario
Awards
Website
www.twitter.com
I purchased a Xbox version of Cyberpunk 2077. I didnt event bother playing it and returned and got my mony back but I regretted buyng it after the BS that CDPR carried on with.

I brought Dragon Quest XI in October before realising that it would become a XBGP game.

I also paid 5$ to steam in November for Among US and it became a XBGP game (*** Dont play this game with english voice cast, always choose Japanese with subtitles***)

Sonic 06 - Yes I purchased Sonic 06 way back when and i was expected it to be the sequel to Sonic Adventure 2. Boy was i wrong lol.

Starfox Assault - I was under the impression that game was gonna be a sucessor to Starfox Adventures, and that was only partically right. the game was a mess imo and was a huge dissapointment.

Call of Duty: Cold War - Honestly I dont know what i was expecting...? I actually enjoyed playing modern warfare (Warzone) but I guess i wanted more of the same from this one and it felt like they took 2 steps back...

Dragonball Fighter Z - I literally played this game like 3x. and i got this at launch. I don't know why I was expecting a DBZ fighting game in the style of a traditional fighter (Street Figher, King of Fighters, Mortal Kombat, etc). but when i played it and it wasn't I lost total intrest.

Mario Party (Switch dont remember what number we are at...) - Feels a bit too simplified and there is no online play. Heck there is no main menu lol.

I'm sure there is a ton more but not looking at my game collection at the moment.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
Starfox Assault - I was under the impression that game was gonna be a sucessor to Starfox Adventures, and that was only partically right. the game was a mess imo and was a huge dissapointment.
Were you not familiar with Star Fox 1 or 64 beforehand?

(Adventures was a bigger mess imo)

Vulpes XIII

Awards
Sonic 06 - Yes I purchased Sonic 06 way back when and i was expected it to be the sequel to Sonic Adventure 2. Boy was i wrong lol.

This is literally the exact same reasoning I had for buying Sonic 06 when it came out lol. A Sequel to Sonic Adventure 2 I really hope this happens some day, honestly it would probably be the only thing that would make me give the series another try as Sonic Adventure 2 was my favourite Sonic game, well either this or they bring back Chao Gardens.

Back