• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Exclusive: KHInsider Catches Up with Ben Diskin!

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards

Warning: Kingdom Hearts HD 2.5 ReMIX spoilers below!

When we first heard news that Young Master Xehanort appeared in the secret ending of Re:coded, we knew that our favourite voice actor Ben Diskin would be back. We made contact with Ben and thankfully he agreed to answer a few questions from us. While this isn't a full interview on the same scale as our last interview, we are still thrilled to have this opportunity to talk with Ben.

-- Last time we talked to you, you hadn’t purchased a 3DS and so you weren’t able to play Dream Drop Distance. Has this changed?

Ben: I was lucky enough to receive KH3D as an anonymous gift.  Sadly, I'm so poor at playing it that I gave up pretty early on. :(

-- Being called back to record one scene must have been a bit of a challenge, especially since it’s been 2 years since you last played the role. Did you quickly ease back into it or did you have to warm up and get back into the feel of things?

Ben: Getting back into the role for 2.5 wasn't too hard.  They played me some vocal refs and we just went from there.  Young Master Xehanort is basically me trying to sound like the things I'm saying are important when, in fact, I really have no clue what I'm talking about. XD

-- From the conversation in 2.5, it seems Young Xehanort has accepted his fate into becoming Master Xehanort. Do you think there might be tension in Kingdom Hearts 3 if Young Xehanort changes his mind?

Ben: I kinda hope he DOES change his mind.  It'd be cool to see history being re-written, especially if it's by the younger incarnation of the series' own antagonist.

-- Were you surprised when you got a call to come back in to voice Young Xehanort? Did you expect the next time you went in to record for this character it would be for Kingdom Hearts 3?

Ben: I assumed it WAS for KH3 until I got there.  I really hope I get to come back for number 3, but I haven't been in yet, so I really don't know where they are in the production of that game.

-- The Kingdom Hearts series has had a number of famous people voice characters in the series. These include Leonard Nimoy, Mark Hamill, Brittany Snow, and Christopher Lee. Our final question is, if you could have stand in a recording studio with any famous actor/voice actor and record a scene for Kingdom Hearts, who would you pick and why?

Ben: Oh, that's a hard choice!  I've worked with Mark Hamill before, so if I wanted to feel at ease, I'd go with him.  I've never met Brittany Snow before and it wouldn't be a bad thing to be stuck in a booth with her ;). While I'm not a big Trek fan, getting to work with Spock would be awesome and Christopher Lee.........  Well...... well, damn.  Yeah, it'd probably be Christopher Lee.  The others are awesome, but it'd be so cool to work with an industry legend like him. :) 

Kingdom Hearts HD 2.5 ReMIX releases in America TODAY! Fans in Australia will get the game on December 4th, while Europe recieves the game on December 5th.

Remember to like KHInsider on Facebook, and follow us on Twitter and Tumblr for all the latest Kingdom Hearts news!

Brightcrest

It's pretty great that Ben shares the fan's opinions as far as Young Xehanort's intentions are concerned. It'd be pretty sweet if YX had intentions of his own.

alexis.anagram

pajamaモード
Awards
Isn't "rewriting history" exactly what all the arbitrary time travel rules from DDD are meant to prevent?

Also, Brittany Snow. Kind of a sad example. :( If it gets her back into the series, though, please, do stick her in a booth with Ben Diskin.

And I think everyone who got called back thought 2.5 was KH3. I can only imagine the bewilderment among some of regular cast members, mirroring the fans: "We're still not there yet? I'm doing this game again?" At least Ben got new material.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Isn't "rewriting history" exactly what all the arbitrary time travel rules from DDD are meant to prevent?

Not if you have the powers of Kingdom Hearts at your disposal...

And I think everyone who got called back thought 2.5 was KH3. I can only imagine the bewilderment among some of regular cast members, mirroring the fans: "We're still not there yet? I'm doing this game again?" At least Ben got new material.

Even Bill Farmer thought it was KH3. xD

Hakan Xatos

Awards
That would be weird if Young Xehanort went all rogue on new Org. 13. Also pretty complicated so I wouldn't put it past Nomura from trying that route lol. Also I would agree with Christopher Lee, I mean its Dooku and Saruman! I'm going to assume that Ansem the Wise still has a scheme of his own to exact revenge on Xehanort in KH3. He might be a problem to Sora and co. or the only one to help them win. I don't know.. but he's gonna do something real important in KH3 to change the circumstances. Call him my "Most important secondary character."

Xagzan

Awards
The Kingdom Hearts series has had a number of famous people voice characters in the series. These include Leonard Nimoy, Mark Hamill, Brittany Snow, and Christopher Lee.

Ahem *coughBillyZanecough*

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
(Brittany Snow is special because Pitch Perfect. I don't see Billy Zane singing in the shower.)

That would be weird if Young Xehanort went all rogue on new Org. 13.

Not too weird when you remember that the true Org XIII is filled with members that are working towards self-serving ends, and aren't loyal out of true loyalty.

I'm going to assume that Ansem the Wise still has a scheme of his own to exact revenge on Xehanort in KH3. He might be a problem to Sora and co. or the only one to help them win. I don't know.. but he's gonna do something real important in KH3 to change the circumstances. Call him my "Most important secondary character."

Well, he's already done the important thing. He gave Sora the data! We'll see, but just remember he is voiced by Corey Burton now.

Hakan Xatos

Awards
Ah forget Billy Zane, I can't believe you left out Gilbert Gottfried... Come on, I think he deserves some recognition after stealing Jesse's spoiler title by revealing he was voice acting for KH 2.5 lol!

Xagzan

Awards
Billy Zane should voice every character in the series.

BUT. Can't fault his choices. Definitely wouldn't be a bad thing to be stuck in a booth with Brittany Snow :tongue:

Hakan Xatos

Awards
Oh darn that's right... Which I don't blame him, Christopher Lee did win oldest voice actor when he did 358/2 Days. Well I still think he must have some more vendetta planned. I always thought Diz was awesome, always plotting his revenge. Oh well I hope they bring some of that personality back.

Sdog

Awards
Profoundly enjoy this dude lol, and how how he wants YX to betray much like myself XP!

Fatal Mode

Hey first time poster, long time lurker here!

I was thinking with all the talk of YX's possible betrayal. Wouldn't it be cool if Sora with his power to touch hearts and open doors to the light redeemed YX to make him fight against his older self.

Just a thought.

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
Please put up spoiler warnings in your heading or intro paragraphs pleasssse.
There was a spoiler warning. It's literally the first part of the article, bolded, in much larger font than the interview.

kuraudoVII

D'oh, I missed!
Awards
I always love it whenever I hear about voice actors that really love the work that they do and the characters that they voice. Keep up the work, Ben! You have amazing talent!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back