• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Face Your Past

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

King Sora X

Legendary Member
Awards
((Inspired by the song Break Free by Eyeshine and loosely based off of a real life experience. Hope y'all enjoy. Comments are welcomed, critique even more so.))
<---000--->

“Face Your Past”

Beep after beep, alert after alert.
His black Samsung Messenger kept on going off. The sounds of the text message alert kept on coming and coming, no doubt from her. Even as he sat at his computer desk, staring at the blank Microsoft Word Document, they kept on coming.
Each text was just an echo of the last, “why,” they read. Yes indeed why. Why oh why did he do it. Somewhere down the line, it went wrong. Was it the way he felt for her? Or was it the way she was and he could never see it until that one moment he sent out that unbelievable text? Perhaps it was a mixture of the former and latter, or maybe it was neither. It was a question he could only answer. She didn’t know, hence why she, despite him obviously ignoring every single text, she kept on sending them.
Each time he would read the texts, despite how much of a copy they were, he couldn’t just bring himself to peer his hazelnut-colored eyes away from the little screen. The words reading “why?”, imprinting itself into his mind, molding with his heartbreak and despair.
“I don’t know why,” he said, not like she could hear him.
The despair was rising to new levels, the beeps stopped. Was it that she had enough? No, that wasn’t it. In fact, he knew something was amiss. After five or six minutes of nonstop texting, she wouldn’t just stop.
Just as his suspicions came to light in his mind, his phone rang, the song of Life Starts Now by Three Days Grace playing. He looked to the Caller ID and it was her, the person who had broken up with through the means of text messaging was calling him.
He just held the phone in his hand, looking at it. That very hand that he held the phone in was shaking. His arm was shaking and soon he found his entire body shaking, tears falling from both eyes and a squinted expression appeared on his face. He was trying to stop the crying. Oh why was there so much crying?
He hesitated, but he answered. He didn’t understand why he waited so long. It was stupid on his part. Moronic was more like it and he had to face the music of the least intelligent decision he made of his entire nineteen years of being alive.
Holding the phone to his ear, he heard her crying, but she started to speak.
“Why did you do it?” She asked, not wasting any time.
He didn’t have any words. He stayed silent.
“You have no answer? Nothing at all,” She said. Shocked.
There was a minute of mostly silence. With his breathing being heard on his end and bits of crying on hers, he would have to choose his words carefully. If he didn’t, he might make things even worse than they already were.
“I don’t know.”
“You don’t know? No reason at all? Come on Thomas, you broke up with me through a diddlying text message. Obviously you wanted to avoid SOMETHING.”
Suddenly silence took over again, but not long. Three or four seconds before it broke.
“You’re right. You always have been, Alexandria.”
“Then speak. You always have been able to talk to me about anything. It was one of the things that was great between us: Communication.”
She was right, he thought. She was right about everything and he owed it to her. Thomas owed Alex that much.
“You don’t realize how hard it’s been seeing you with him.” He said, his voice emitting a petty jealousy tone.
“Who him?” She asked, genuinely confused.
“You know who. Michael.” He said.
“Michael? He’s just a friend. I swear.” Alexandria said, trying to explain to Thomas that Michael meant nothing to her more than a friend, or was she trying to convince herself of that.
“Bullshit, Alex. Bullshit.” Thomas said, calling Alex out on that, “you and I know that you and him are more than friends. I’ve seen you two around school, hugging and acting as if you two have something going on. So much for our so-called ‘communication’, huh?
Alexandria was going to say something. Thomas heard some sound come from her end, but she decided against it. She knew he was right. He was right about them being more than friends. He was right about them having something, even while she and Thomas were still an item to the entire school. She knew he was right about all of it and it sucked.
Alexandria stayed silent for a few minutes, sounds of her crying and cursing herself could be heard. Obscenities like “diddly” and “shit” were heard repeatedly. Thomas didn’t like being right and he didn’t enjoy making her cry. He was, after all, the one who broke up with her. Still, she was the one who made him do this. If they would have just communicated better, maybe -- just maybe -- they would’ve found some way to work through it. Maybe if he saw the way Michael looked at them when they would pass him in the hallway or how he looked at her when he was right in front of them at lunch, then perhaps Thomas could have prevented this.
“I guess I’ll see you at school then..” Thomas said, ending the five minute silence.
“I guess so,” She echoed him.
In a matter of seconds, the call ended. The dial tone was like a heart monitor hooked up to a patient at a hospital.
Shutting the power of his phone off, Thomas hurled it to the wall, the battery and the back of the phone breaking off. Yelling as loud as he could, Thomas busted into tears. A mixture of sadness and anger took him over. If there was ever a time that this man was completely broken, it would be now.

KingdomKey

Queen
Awards
This was real on so many levels. I've never experienced this kind of heart break, jealously or anger in my life. I hope I never do. In any case, I greatly enjoyed reading every bit of this story. I feel like upon reading it there were some words missing, but I'll have to read it again to point it out to you as far as a critiquing is concerned. Overall, I liked it. C:

the person who had broken up with through the means of text messaging was calling him.

I feel like it should say: The person who he had broken up with through the means of a text message was calling him.

That's about it as far as critiquing goes. I think some other forum members might be able to point it out better than I can on such matters. Reading it a second time hit me hard - tons of impact, making it feel like you were experiencing it yourself.

Last edited:

King Sora X

Legendary Member
Awards
This was real on so many levels. I've never experienced this kind of heart break, jealous or anger in my life. I hope I never do. In any case, I greatly enjoyed reading every bit of this story. I feel like upon reading it there were some words missing, but I'll have to read it again to point it out to you as far as a critiquing is concerned. Overall, I liked it. C:

Thanks Kit Kat! :D
If you do end up on reading it, I would greatly appreciate some critique. I plan on expanding this into some type of story.
I don't know if it's going to be a short story or full-fledged novel, but it's something I'm looking forward to. So, any help along the way would be greatly appreciated. :3

Eventua

I liked it! I agree with KitKat - thankfully I've not had to go through this or a similar scenario, but it definitely gave the impression of a whirl of emotions and the sudden, immediate feel of the situation.

A pretty neat piece of writing!

King Sora X

Legendary Member
Awards
I liked it! I agree with KitKat - thankfully I've not had to go through this or a similar scenario, but it definitely gave the impression of a whirl of emotions and the sudden, immediate feel of the situation.

A pretty neat piece of writing!

I'm glad you got that impression, Eventua. I tried my damnest to portray the feeling of despair and that one feeling that a person feels after making such a big mistake, especially after knowing it was over. What I wanted to achieve was not just portray that kind of feeling, but set it up in a way that would make the main character(Thomas in this scenario) to be both a relatable character(to those that have been in similiar situations), but also one that they would sort of loathe. I wanted for the readers to say, "I feel for him, but how could he break up with her like that?" I wanted him to be put in a light where they feel bad for him, yet at the same time, some readers would see him as being the kind of guy that probably deserved it.

Let's face it: you just don't break up with someone via text message. It doesn't matter how bad of a thing she did to you. You just don't do it. It's possibly the worst way to do break up with someone and that was half of the stuggle for him. Added to the fact that he was diddlying heartbroken, he just felt like crap. Of course you saw that at the end when he hurled his phone at the wall and burst into tears, feeling both anger and sadness.

KitKat said:
I feel like it should say: The person who he had broken up with through the means of a text message was calling him.

That's about it as far as critiquing goes. I think some other forum members might be able to point it out better than I can on such matters. Reading it a second time hit me hard - tons of impact, making it feel like you were experiencing it yourself.

Agreed. I applied that to the document I have it saved in and will probably post it in this thread when I get some more cnc.

But thanks for the input, KitKat. :3

A revised, edited, changed version of Face Your Past.

Face Your Past

Beep after beep, alert after alert.
His black Samsung Messenger kept on going off. The sounds of the text message alert kept on coming and coming, no doubt from her. Even as he sat at his computer desk, staring at the blank Microsoft Word Document, they kept on coming.
Each text was just an echo of the last, “why,” they read. Yes indeed why. Why oh why did he do it? Somewhere down the line, it went wrong. Was it the way he felt for her? Or was it the way she was and he could never see it until that one moment he sent out that unbelievable text? Perhaps it was a mixture of the former and latter, or maybe it was neither. It was a question he could only answer. She didn’t know, hence why she, despite him obviously ignoring every single text, kept on sending them.
Each time he would read the texts, despite how much of a copy they were, he couldn’t bring himself to peer his hazelnut-colored eyes away from the little screen. The words reading “why”, imprinting itself into his mind, molding with his heartbreak and despair.
“I don’t know why,” he said, the walls around him being the only that would hear him. Those four white walls just echoed his words, bouncing them back to him as if it represented a feeling of loneliness and anguish that he felt in his heart.
The despair was rising to new levels, the beeps stopped. Was it that she had enough? No, that wasn’t it. In fact, he knew something was amiss. After five or six minutes of nonstop texting, she wouldn’t just stop.
Just as his suspicions came to light in his mind, his phone rang, the song of Life Starts Now by Three Days Grace playing. He looked to the Caller ID and it was her. The person he had broken up with. The person who had been buzzing up his messages with the same text over and over again.
He held the phone in his hand, looking at it. It was shaking. He looked confused. That was until he realized that his hand arm was shaking, and soon his body became vibrating mess.
He felt tears fall to his hands and then he realized that he was crying. Why was he crying? Why couldn’t he stop crying?
He had to control it somehow, so he squinted his face. He forced a grunt out. His voice cracked with a mixture of anger and despair. The tears eventually stopped coming as he came into control of his emotions, but only slightly. He wiped them away with his free hand.
Looking at his phone, he hesitantly answered. He didn’t understand why he waited so long. It was idiotic on his part. Moronic was more like it and he had to face the music of the least intelligent decision he made of his entire eighteen years of being alive.
Holding the phone to his ear, he heard her crying, but she started to speak.
“Why did you do it?” She asked, a strong sense of urgency in her voice.
He didn’t have any words. He stayed silent.
“You have no answer? Nothing at all,” She said. Shocked.
There was a minute of silence. With his breathing being heard on his end and bits of crying on hers, he knew that his words would have to be chosen careful. If note, then the situation might become even worse than it already was.
“I don’t know.”
“You don’t know? No reason at all? Come on Thomas, you broke up with me through a diddlying text message. Obviously you wanted to avoid SOMETHING.”
Like a mouse within the walls of a home, Thomas was silent. He spoke no words. Volume was an illusion to him at this point. Until it wasn’t.
“You’re right. You‘ve always been, Alexandria.”
“Then speak. You always have been able to talk to me about anything. It was one of the things that was great between us: communication.”
She was right, he thought. She was right about everything and he owed it to her. Thomas owed Alex that much.
“You don’t realize how hard it’s been seeing you with him.” He said, his voice bleeding with petty jealousy.
“Him? Him who?” She asked, genuinely confused.
“You know who: Michael.” He said.
“Michael? He’s just a friend. I swear.” Alexandria said, trying to explain to Thomas that Michael meant nothing to her more than a friend.
“Bullshit, Alex. Bullshit.” Thomas said, calling Alex out on that, “you and I know that you and him are more than friends. I’ve seen you two around school, hugging and acting as if you two have something going on. So much for our so-called ‘communication’, huh?
Alexandria was going to say something. Thomas heard some sound come from her end, but she decided against it. She knew he was right. He was right about them being more than friends. He was right about them having something, even while she and Thomas were still an item to the entire school. She knew he was right about all of it and it sucked.
Alexandria stayed silent for a few minutes, sounds of her crying and cursing herself could be heard. Obscenities like “diddly” and “shit” were heard repeatedly.
Thomas didn’t like being right and he didn’t enjoy making her cry. After all, he was the one who ended things. Regardless, she was the one who made him do this. If they would’ve communicated better, maybe -- just maybe -- they might’ve found some way to work through it. Maybe if he saw the way Michael looked at them when they would pass him in the hallway or how he looked at her when he was right in front of them at lunch, then maybe Thomas and Alexandria would have found a way to stay together.
“I guess I’ll see you at school then..” Thomas said, ending the five minute silence.
“I guess so,” She echoed him.
In a matter of seconds, the call ended. The dial tone was like a heart monitor hooked up to a patient at a hospital.
Looking down at his phone, Thomas went back to the messages. Not the ones that echoed a single question. No, the earlier ones. The messages that were of their love, of their passion. The ones that was before all of the shit with Michael. It was before he had the thoughts of breaking up with her. It was before their relationship went to crap. It was the messages before their love died out and it became limited communication. It was before petty jealousy moved in.
Five or six minutes passed when he began looking at the older messages from a few months ago. Drops from his eyes soon found themselves coating his phone. It only started with a few sets of two, but soon they came down like rain during a thunderstorm. They were coming in the dozens and Thomas gripped his phone tightly in his hand. His strength wasn’t great, but with the combination of gloom and anger he was feeling, the phone started to feel the pressure of his hand. It got to the point where he snapped.
A scream of the loudest volume came from his mouth. In that same moment, he hurled the phone to the wall, it shattering, and scattering into bits and pieces of metallic plastic.
And then came the tears. Tears of rage-filled despair. Screams continued, louder than the previous.
Thomas had finally reached the breaking point. His relationship done. His heart broken. He was broken and perhaps this was what he deserved all along. For what he did to Alexandria, perhaps being feeling the way he did was justified. Perhaps it was karma’s way of getting back at him. It truly was as they say: what goes around definitely comes back around to you in full.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back