• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Favorite Handheld Kingdom Hearts Game

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Favorite Handheld Kingdom Hearts Game?

• 358/2 Days

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Birth By Sleep

Votes: 15 65.2%
  • Coded

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Dream Drop Distance

Votes: 5 21.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lea

Awards
Website
joshtominus.com
Just interested to see everyones favorite handheld game.

Mine is BBS at the moment, but I'm not going to vote in the poll because I still have yet to fully complete DDD, I'm at the Symphony of Sorcery at the moment and I love the game a lot so far, possibly more than BBS but I'm still unsure.

Hated Days. Coded was good, but not a favorite.

Last edited:

Gram

Banned
Awards
Honestly I'm a bit surprised at myself but I think Coded takes my vote. As like you I hated days and though DDD was awesome at first it feels tedious to play through more than twice.

I loved BBS but of all of them I liked Coded most. There was just something about the lighter story of it and the dialogue between characters that was more enjoyable to sit through.
Also gotta give props for adding so many different types of play into it such as side scrolling portions or the shooter like battle of Wonderlands boss.

The command system also felt more refined and wasn't nearly as broken as BBS was and, to be blunt, I found Data Sora a rather enjoyable personality that I've come to prefer vastly over his real counterpart.

And while many cry Coded was pointless to the overall story, which to an extent it was though Days is also just filler to the overall story so I dont understand this gripe, it did have key messages such as relating the pain of the ones in suffering though most importantly it (though subtle mostly) showed that anything truly can grow a heart like Data!Sora did. (a fact hinted at with Roxas in kh2/days and finally confirmed in DDD by Xemnas)

Draxem

Website
www.taystrippedbear.com
BBSFM, I haven't been able to actually play DDD due to not having a 3DS so I can't really comment on it but BBS was fantastic, the FM version even better.

The storyline was engaging, especially having played KH2FM beforehand and getting to see the secret ending actually play out in the game was fantastic. I really enjoyed the command system too, I don't know how it's been handled in DDD having only watched the cutscenes.

There's a reason Nomura said it was essentially KH0.

Axel92

Awards
I found Data Sora a rather enjoyable personality that I've come to prefer vastly over his real counterpart.
For me it is the same, altough i voted BBS because I love Aqua so much!

Antar

Awards
I voted BBS because it's my top favorite, but I really liked 358/2 days, too.

Lea

Awards
Website
joshtominus.com
I loved BBS but of all of them I liked Coded most. There was just something about the lighter story of it and the dialogue between characters that was more enjoyable to sit through.
Also gotta give props for adding so many different types of play into it such as side scrolling portions or the shooter like battle of Wonderlands boss.

Coded was a really good game, just not my favorite. Honestly, It's probably because of the fact that there was so much dialogue reading. I actually love dialogue reading on my own, but I feel that Coded did it a bit much, but It's understandable considering the amount of power the DS has.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I love KH3D, BBS, and coded...but I chose coded because overall I enjoyed the diversity of gameplay styles since it was playing homage to other genres, the character were really fun to get to know, and the story was a lot more lighthearted than the past few games.

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
Oh... this is really hard. :C

Coded was a wonderful experience that intelligently integrated varied gameplay styles that we never get to experience in other titles so it was a breathe of fresh air with every world. The story was also incredibly solid considering what the plot was about and had well-paced and well-written character development. My only complaints would be the use of Maleficent and Pete but that has to do with my overall complaints regarding their actions in all installments (barring KH1 Maleficent who was incredible).

Birth by Sleep was the title that completely reinvigorated my love of the series by introducing new and refreshing characters that I fell in love with, some more than our original trio. I also loved the expansion to the mythology and had fun with the twists and turns in the story. It was also the first game to implement the Command Deck which is my favorite battle element ever; there's nothing quite like power-housing through hoards of enemies and obliterating them instantly. And to have diversity among the different wielders was excellent because it gave options and made them all feel extremely different. My complaints with this game have to do with the leveling system and the Disney worlds since you have to level up TAV separately while going through carbon copy worlds which gets tiresome pretty quickly.

And Dream Drop Distance... I loved that too. I thought the leveling system they implemented for Riku and Sora was very intelligent, as well as the game element where we're forced to switch between the two to keep the game going. Also, Riku is incredible the entire game with witty (albeit somewhat cheesy) dialogue and a solid storyline and it's lovely to have another character besides Sora to play as. The new travel system is so much better; diving is so much more fun than Gummy Ships and it's nice to be able to travel between the worlds as opposed to BBS where we only used the World Map (except for like... a battle). My complaints with this game really only revolve around a ridiculously convoluted plot and that most of that plot takes place in the final world instead of being spread out more throughout the course of the game.

ALL THREE ARE GREAT. They all have problems but also have incredibly redeeming qualities. All I know for certain is that 358/2 Days absolutely isn't my favorite due to the cons outweighing the pros for me.

Also, maybe we should count Chain of Memories since it is a handheld and the handheld is a lot more fun than the console title.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
1. Dream Drop Distance ~ Love this one!
2. Coded ~ This one is just fun to me. Although it has filler just like CoM, it does it in a more entertaining way, imo. Doesn't add much plot to the overall series either, but I do like what they do with Maleficent, Pete, Mickey, etc. Plus, it was fun seeing the original designs for Riku and Sora again (not a fan of their KH2 changes, for the most part).
3. Birth by Sleep
4. Chain of Memories (GBA version) ~ Has my favorite story of all the handhelds, but the filler/repeat worlds from the original game makes it a bit of a slog to play through.
5. 358/2 Days ~ The only one of these I will probably never re-play. I didn't mind the story so much, just it was so boring and monotonous to play.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
My favorite handheld would have to be BBS. Great story, gameplay, and a whole lot of fun. DDD was good too.

I liked parts of Days, but it does have a lot of flaws. Don't care for Coded at all.

Gram

Banned
Awards
Coded was a really good game, just not my favorite. Honestly, It's probably because of the fact that there was so much dialogue reading. I actually love dialogue reading on my own, but I feel that Coded did it a bit much, but It's understandable considering the amount of power the DS has.

haha If you found Coded to dialogue heavy you wouldn't have been able to sit through the GBA version of CoM.

Solo

Silver Member
Awards
Since I consider experiencing the gameplay myself an integral part in picking favourites, the only thing stopping me from saying that coded is my favourite among those options is the fact that I haven't played it myself. If I had, I know it would have easily been my number one with Data-Sora's general happy-go-lucky attitude, which was a fresh take, being one of the reasons.

BbS is the second. While it could have benefitted more from better voice acting direction and script writing, I personally believe that the flaws weren't as jarring as those in KH2, so they were quite easily forgiven. I also enjoyed the command deck system which was new to me, and although it was kind of overpowered, I'd be lying if I said I didn't like acquiring Mega Flare by Radiant Garden, and Salvation and Faith even earlier. The mini-games, though not entirely immersive, were a pretty neat addition, and the Command Board and Mirage Arena were really fun to play, especially the former.

In addition, with TAV missing from the other games, you'd be able to tell that something really bad must have happened to them by the end of the game. It was because of this that I was apprehensive of going past the final parts of their respective stories when I first played the game, but though foreboding, it was quite satisfying an experience.

Last edited:

Blackdrazon

Vulpes Chronicler
Awards
haha If you found Coded to dialogue heavy you wouldn't have been able to sit through the GBA version of CoM.

CoM has my favourite story and the GBA version is my favourite version of CoM for story (I prefer Re:CoM overall, however) so Lea and I are just on different pages!

Lea

Awards
Website
joshtominus.com
Also, maybe we should count Chain of Memories since it is a handheld and the handheld is a lot more fun than the console title.

Ah crap, forgot all about that. I'm just so used to playing CoM on consoles that I forgot all about the GBA version, and I actually played the GBA version before the console. Whoops.

It's funny because I played through CoM on the GBA before I even knew about a console release for it and I really enjoyed it. Then again, I was a LOT younger when I played it, and Coded was more recent for me. Maybe my taste has changed since I was like... nine lol.

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
I think it's easy to forget CoM because Re:CoM has been around so long now.

XIII RoXaS XIII

Awards
My list from best to worst would have to be:

1. Birth by Sleep
2. Dream Drop Distance
3. Days
4. Com
5. Re:Coded

I think i enjoyed days way more than i should of i've replayed though it multiple times and love it every time. coded on the other hand ugh so glad they are going to cutscenes

Veritas7340

Birth by Sleep is my favorite. It has an immensely great gameplay and story. We finally see the real villain of the saga, play as Keyblade masters, and get to utilize the command board gameplay style. Not to mention, the replay value is very good due to the three-pronged nature (Terra, Ven, Aqua).

Not to be a harsh critic but I have to ask: why is CoM not part of the list? Of the handheld games, I played/own: CoM, Days, BBS

Of those, for me, it goes like this: BBS > CoM > Days. CoM is my 2nd favorite.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back