• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Favorite Kingdom Hearts TITLE.

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

ReverofEnola

Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
As in literally JUST the title. What Kingdom Hearts game has your favorite title/name for the game?

For me it would be Kingdom Hearts (1). It's plain, simple, and straight to the point. There's no "fancy poetry" or complicated math associated with the title and it's easy to pick up why they gave the game this title.

Awards
Either Chain or Memories or Birth by Sleep cause those titles are actually said in the game and have deep meaning to the games plot/focus.

Lambert

I don't think there's anything "plain" or "simple" about KH1. It is very layered in its philosophical approach and you can walk away with several different interpretations on what you've witnessed and experienced throughout the journey. On its face, it's a coming of age story that has a typical good vs. evil plot. But if you delve below the superficialities of it, you can come away with several unstated conclusions.

For example, after playing the first game a few times, I walked away with the impression that Kairi is very manipulative. Considering she has total free reign within Sora's heart, it's not outside the realm of possibility that she's responsible for guiding him to the ultimate destination of Hollow Bastion. It all starts at the docks when Kairi remarks "Riku's changed" and then says, "Sora, let's take the raft! Just the two of us!" She clearly wants to go home and clearly doesn't want Riku come along. When she lost her heart, she buddied up with Sora and not Riku. At first glance, you're led to believe that this is simply an act of timing and necessity, but upon further reflection, you can postulate that she didn't want to be with Riku.

Both Riku's and Kairi's boats were docked at the island long before Sora's. It's possible that Riku reached the island first, opened the door, and then stood in wait for the ultimate crossover. Kairi tried to close the door and failed. She didn't want to go with Riku. She wasn't standing in wait with him. She wasn't even arguing with him. Kairi ditched Riku and ran for the door. We don't even know if she was physically standing at the door at that point. Maybe her heart was fluttering around, but not her physical shell. We know that hearts as well as Heartless can take human form, so we can't altogether conclude with 100% certainty that Kairi was physically standing at the door when Sora rushed into the Secret Place. If you take this holistically--Kairi wanting to leave with just Sora, her avoiding Riku, and her final acts before losing her heart--you can plausibly argue that Kairi's ultimate goal was to go on adventure with just Sora and to find her way home with just Sora. This doesn't mean that she doesn't like Riku or that she's not friends with Riku. It just means that in this instance, she was deterred from dealing with Riku. You can break this down into two categories: (1) wanting to spend alone-time with Sora or (2) wanting to avoid a threat she perceived within Riku. Why she would perceive a threat from Riku is arguable, but she definitely sensed something when she remarked that "Riku's changed."

After the DI scene, we know Kairi is piggybacking off Sora. Along the trip, she makes comments to Sora, appears before him, wanders off where he follows. She's the reason he strikes a bargain with Tarzan; Sora originally wanted to inquire after Donald and Goofy, but when he saw Kairi, he changed his mind. You can argue that this is a subtle manipulation. In the tent with Jane looking at the slides, Sora "recognizes" the castle. This is an indicator on Kairi's part. She wants to go home. Much later, when Sora begins to lose heart, she shows him the memory of her grandmother inside the castle. This flashback is instrumental to Sora's ultimate success later on when confronting both Riku (after the Keyblade was "stolen") and Ansem (when in front of The Door). Without that revelation given to him by Kairi--who didn't know whether she would get her body back and was therefore trying to manipulate Sora from within--Sora would not have been successful in stopping Ansem.

Granted, you could easily counter-argue that Kairi was just along for the ride and wasn't trying to intentionally influence Sora. But I think there's a lot of evidence to suggest that every time she intervened, it was a conscious effort to manipulate Sora into doing what she wanted. This makes it sound like a bad thing, but not all manipulation is inherently "bad" or "evil." In this case, she was just trying to guide her champion to success and to her ultimate goal: adventuring towards home. At least that's what I think.

In any case, I don't think there's anything "simple" or "straight to the point" about that lol.

At any rate, I do agree with you. I think KH1 is the best in the series. It's a neat package without any seriously damaging loose-ends. The biggest loose-end is trying to rescue Riku and Mickey, but that's more cliffhanger than incomplete plot point. I don't like how convoluted the series has become with the introduction of the multiple Xehanorts and the Organization. But what bugs me the most is how the Heartless have become a laughing stock. I really liked 2.8 because Aqua's story shows the Heartless to be pretty fearsome. As a kid playing KH and seeing Darkside for the first time, I was awestruck. That's what an evil entity should be. The Shadows, the Neoshadows, and Darkside--the trifecta of evil. They're creepy to look at. But nowadays, the Heartless seem to be the butt-end of every joke. They're barely even mentioned or present anymore. I think KH1 struck a good balance of terror and hope. Later titles are a zanier, though BBS I think is a good spiritual successor to KH1. It seems to capture a similar essence.

Antifa Lockhart

Awards
Lambert, the question was which "title" is the best. Like which game has the best name. In that regard, Kingdom Hearts is the most simple.

Veevee

Awards
I'd go with Chain of Memories. I like the thought behind it, that memories are tied together in something similar to a chain - that means if one link is missing, the chain can be reconnected, but will not be whole again. Each individual link plays an important part in the whole chain and that was how Naminés powers worked. She disconnected the links and rearranged them. I think it fits very well.

Birth by sleep is a cool name by itself, but I disliked how it was used in the narrative. DiZ later says many people are still waiting for their birth by sleep which is in some cases true, but to me it felt like they decided to force it into the story just to justify the title. It didn't feel very natural to me.

358/2 seems to imply that the game is mainly divided onto Xion and Roxas. Nice title, I basically like it but I never really had the feeling Xion was a part of the game even though the narrative centers heavily around her. Most of the time that they didn't spend on the clock tower, she was gone somewhere or missing or sleeping, so I rarely had the feeling the time was actually shared between the two because you always got to see it solely from a spectator perspective. I'd have preferred to swap between Roxas and Xion, but it is like it is.

Re:Coded. Fitting title, bad entry.

Dream Drop Distance: Even though it has a nice ring when you say it, I never really got the meaning of it. Yes, they are in a dream, there's this horrible drop system and ... they have to travel distances? Distances that are possibly as long as the dream drop? To me, it feels like they mashed three words together that matched well and had some role in the game without thinking too much of the sense as a whole.

DarkGrey Heroine

How much closer could I be?
Awards
I'd also say Chain of Memories because it just makes sense when linked to the actual plot of the game. And then, Reverse Rebirth is the thing that has the coolest ring to me, it's such an interesting wordplay both phonetically and conceptually.

Birth By Sleep, while sounding nice, still creates rather troubling images in my mind, because... well, trying to visualize an actual birth by sleep is... quite something. I can't help it, since I see almost everything in pictures #artistforlaifu

If it wouldn't be so hard to pronounce, 358/2 Days is a fitting title in my opinion as well. When the realization hits you and you, after beating the game, realize why that is its title, it's something you can't possibly forget D:

I like Dream Drop Distance, has the ring of a cool Japanese electro/techno song. A bit complicated to pronounce tho, if not referred to as DDD or 3D.

KH1 and KH2, and the numbered remixes, well, they're just the original title + a number so I don't find them peculiarly interesting, even if KH1 and KH2 are iconic entries. A Fragmentary Passage is a fitting title for 0.2, but I lost interest in it. And well, I loved the Unchained Chi name of the KH app, Union Cross still seems shady to me (for plot reasons as well).

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards
My favorite would be Kingdom Hearts: Re: Birth By Memories of Dream Drop Days Coded Sleep Distance 358/2 Chain A Fragmentary Passage Unchained Chapter Final Back Cover Prologue HD Remix Featuring Dante From the Devil May Cry Series & Knuckles

It just rolls right off the tongue.

But my serious answer is Chain of Memories. I also like think it's cute when the remade games get a "Re:" in its title.

catcake

eien no chikai
Awards
I don't really have strong opinions for any of them, don't hate them don't love them. I guess I'd say Union Cross simply because it sounds cool, even though somehow not very KHish?

Noir

Bronze Member
Awards
Kingdom Hearts II. I recommend not playing any of the other titles.
Who gives a honk about Birth by Sleep. More like Put me to Sleep, am I right?
358/2 Days? More like 358 Days 2 skip through the boring dialogue, am I right?
Union Cross? More like Makes me Cross just thinking about it, am I right?
Coded? More like jaded, am I right?
Kingdom Hearts. More like.... I..... don't really have a joke here.

Also this is all a joke and I love all those games, especially Days. All these games have bad titles tho.

DarkGrey Heroine

How much closer could I be?
Awards
Also this is all a joke and I love all those games, especially Days. All these games have bad titles tho.

now that you actually point it out,
the franchise name itself is the everlasting primordial "wtf" of any KH player.
We got a Kingdom, ok, except there's literally no kingdom ---- wait for it ------ wait for it !------- of hearts in the definition sense of a kingdom anywhere, but as a KH player gets over that, the plural of the Hearts in the title, so dangerously close to the Kingdom's personal space, suffocates the poor singular noun completely, and then... then grammar gives its last breath, logic dies and this is where all common sense meets its end, the transcendental apparatus of the player fails to decypher the actual Kingdom Hearts, as humans are not made to understand and know such things... We may speak about it, but we can never know its true nature, or if it exists or not in first place.
Thus spoke Xankt, Kant's Nobody.

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards
Birth by Sleep is my favorite, however the way it was implemented in the narrative was just as bad as Naminé saying "chain of memories". It just makes me cringe too hard.

Recon

Art of War
Awards
Birth by Sleep is my favorite. The subtitle is interesting depending on interpretation. When I try to think about "birth" during sleep I think of dreams or cryotherapy. Obviously this isn't what happens in the game, but it takes an imagination to understand the title. In some sense you get to be creative when interpreting.

358/2 Days is the most unique in my opinion. Seeing how I've never played this one, it's hard for me to claim it as my favorite.

Hakan Xatos

Awards
I'll bite for team KH DDD. I think it's a clever way to introduce the new elements to the series.

Dream - Represents the introduction of the Sleeping Worlds.

Drop - References the Drop system of having to drop between Sora and Riku.

Distance - Refers to the flowmotion system since it's used mostly as transportation around the worlds.

It doesn't really have any symbolism or deep meaning, but it's practical and gets to the point. I kind of wish it added the S to the KH 3D part, because it could've also referenced the 3 Ds or the 3DS console. However they may thought it wouldn't jive with a Remix on a PS4 if they had a 3DS reference in their title.

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards
I'll bite for team KH DDD. I think it's a clever way to introduce the new elements to the series.

Dream - Represents the introduction of the Sleeping Worlds.

Drop - References the Drop system of having to drop between Sora and Riku.

Distance - Refers to the flowmotion system since it's used mostly as transportation around the worlds.

It doesn't really have any symbolism or deep meaning, but it's practical and gets to the point. I kind of wish it added the S to the KH 3D part, because it could've also referenced the 3 Ds or the 3DS console. However they may thought it wouldn't jive with a Remix on a PS4 if they had a 3DS reference in their title.
Was the re-release even planned that far ahead? Either way I'm trying to figure out what the S could even stand for. Dream Drop Distance...Serenade? Split? Shoes? Supper?

Smithee

Awards
A 3-way tie between "Kingdom Hearts" (i.e., the main, numerical games), "Chain Of Memories," and "Birth By Sleep."

They actually sound poetic and unique -- whereas the others tend to just sound convoluted (e.g., "Dream Drop Distance"), lazy (e.g., "Coded"), and/or nonsensical (e.g., "358/2 Days").

DarkosOverlord

Bronze Member
Awards
Birth by Sleep is my favorite, however the way it was implemented in the narrative was just as bad as Naminé saying "chain of memories". It just makes me cringe too hard.

Both Naminé and Yen Sd should've looked straight at the camera while saying that.

Hakan Xatos

Awards
Was the re-release even planned that far ahead? Either way I'm trying to figure out what the S could even stand for. Dream Drop Distance...Serenade? Split? Shoes? Supper?

Well the first remix came out a year after DDD so they were definitely planning remixes at that point. So it's realistic that they could've looked down the road at DDD being in a remix. I mean the 'S' just makes it plural for multiple Ds. If it did stand for something I'd have to guess Skills? Sorcery? Saga? Sail? That's actually pretty hard to guess :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back