• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Favorite Playable Characters?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Muke

whatever
Awards
Momentary Favorite Playable Character: KHII+KHDDD Sora.
Future Fav Playable Character: 0.2 Aqua with Menu

Chuuya

scared of any fandom I'm part of
Awards
Either Sora in KH2 or Aqua. Everytime I play BBS I'm like 80% of the time playing as Aqua.

Muke

whatever
Awards
Ugh, sorry but I have to say this.
I don't really see how people can say Charas out of BBS are their favorite playable chars. (to each their own, but whatever)

It was Osaka's first 'real' game. Everyone was slow, nobody hit anything 90% of the time, etc.
I'd really appreciate it if anybody could elaborate

Mirashade

Awards
Roxas in KH2. Without a doubt. Especially when he dual wields, I always used to keep a save file right before the Axel battle and occasionally load it just for that... I also spent hours mastering the Grandstander minigame. By the time we finally got Final Mix, Mushroom VIII was no sweat.

BufferAqua

Bronze Member
Awards
I don't really see how people can say Charas out of BBS are their favorite playable chars. (to each their own, but whatever)

It was Osaka's first 'real' game. Everyone was slow, nobody hit anything 90% of the time, etc.
It kind of requires effort to make your characters work in BBS. I remember when I hated BBS when I first played it due to characters being weak af, but I realized that I needed to grow, meld my commands and grind a lot. I can understand what you're saying here, it's pretty dumb doing so much work when it can be easily done in other games.

catcake

eien no chikai
Awards

The gameplay is very flawed and I don't like it either, but I enjoy playing as Aqua because she feels very different to everyone else. The emphasis on magic was nice and cartwheel was a fun way to dodge. It's not a matter of which character was executed best, but who is fun to play as. KH2 and DDD did it best, and I personally always like playing as Sora the most, but I can understand why people would like BBS characters. I think it might also depend on the order in which someone plays the games. Some people started with BBS. The same probably applies to Days, since I've seen many people (not here so much) say it's their favorite and that they love the gameplay.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
It's not a matter of which character was executed best, but who is fun to play as.

This is probably the crux of the whole issue combined with personal preference of playstyle as well.

I think it might also depend on the order in which someone plays the games. Some people started with BBS. The same probably applies to Days, since I've seen many people (not here so much) say it's their favorite and that they love the gameplay.

Sometimes it is the order, but certainly not all the time nor do I think it is always the deciding factor.

I started with KH 1 and yet my favorite playable characters in terms of playstyle are Riku (in DDD), Ventus and Aqua.

While it is true that the whole BBS cast is clunky and unwieldy at the beginning, you can with a little effort make them all three into truly owning powerhouses and of those Terra is the only one who more or less still has to rely primarily on normal Keyblade strikes.
Aqua can own everything with her massive magic while Ventus can become so speedy and versatile that you can bombard enemies non-stop from several sides with effective commands.

As someone who likes to play primarily as a mid-range and long-range fighter both Ventus and Aqua really fit my preferred style. Riku in DDD may have primarily melee-strikes, but he's very fast as well and has still very good mid-range game to accommodate my preferences.

I may be in a minority with this, but I certainly do not enjoy stupid plain Keyblade whacking as primary attack form except in special situations, hence why I never got really warm with the unwieldy control schemes of KH 1 and 2 and the overly punctuated focus on Keyblade combos (as 0.2 shows we might get more shortcuts in it and KH III though, making the system hopefully less unwieldy and more friendly to actions that go beyond Keyblade combo-whacking).
In CoM I am too more invested in building a deck that allows me to constantly fight on mid- to long-range (ergo more sleights) rather than just blind whacking.

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards
I may be in a minority with this, but I certainly do not enjoy stupid plain Keyblade whacking as primary attack form except in special situations, hence why I never got really warm with the unwieldy control schemes of KH 1 and 2 and the overly punctuated focus on Keyblade combos (as 0.2 shows we might get more shortcuts in it and KH III though, making the system hopefully less unwieldy and more friendly to actions that go beyond Keyblade combo-whacking).
In CoM I am too more invested in building a deck that allows me to constantly fight on mid- to long-range (ergo more sleights) rather than just blind whacking.

I wouldn't say I prefer "plain keyblade whacking" but I still hope KH3 goes back to the roots by making the keyblade at least useful again. In BBS and 3D especially all I really do is spam commands because it's so much more powerful and way less time consuming. I'd kinda love if they found like a golden center, where the keyblade is strong on its own but the commands or magic are good as well.

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
Aqua in Birth by Sleep/0.2 demo and Riku in Dream Drop Distance are my favorites.

But...

Okay, uh, mostly Aqua. That's seriously it.

???

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards
Since I named Ventus, too, I'm gonna elaborate:
I know that BBS was clunky and you missed enemies a lot (I fought unknown, no heart and AoE yesterday on critical, I KNOW THE MECHANICS SUCK and I think I didn't curse this much in a long time) but the overall concept of Aqua and especially Ventus was pretty cool to me. It just wasn't well finished in the end, sadly.

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
yeah, that was a joke post. my real favorites are a few posts above
You have to follow that up with "joking aside" or something otherwise it sounds contradictory. xD

But if that's how you actually feel I'd have to argue that BBS being Osaka's by no means automatically makes it bad. Frankly, Osaka did a great job.

The BBS characters play drastically different than Sora which is a huge part of why a lot of people grew attached to their gameplay style. Not everyone loves how Sora handles.

And if you're locking onto your enemies you tend to hit them (secret bosses aside)... shot locks are also OP as hell which lead to easy victory in a tough situation. The individual characters (barring Terra which was purposeful) don't feel slow or any slower than Sora in KH1 which everyone seems to be fine with.

Hating the command deck is one thing but the trio handle very differently. Aqua in particular has one of my favorite dodge techniques because it's so easy to traverse the field quickly and it's hard to break her dodge. Also, that barrier block is amazing and I diddlying hate every other block now (bless Riku in DDD for having it too).

We're all entitled to our playable preference but that's such a broad statement about BBS.

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards
And if you're locking onto your enemies you tend to hit them (secret bosses aside)... shot locks are also OP as hell which lead to easy victory in a tough situation.

No. They really don't.
The amount of times Aqua was too lazy to jump at regular enemies when I played yesterday was too damn high.
I mean it's a personal preference that I'm not a big fan of the command gameplay, that's true. But they definitely don't move as smoothly as Sora does, closing in on enemies "automatically" and all that.

I think that improved in 0.2 though. Aqua didn't feel perfect, but I at least didn't feel like she missed the enemies for no reason when I tried to hit them.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
Well, Aqua IS the one with the lousiest direct Keyblade whacking-skill out of the trio but that is by design because she's supposed to blast her enemies apart with magic and graceful special skills, not by whacking them with an oversized key. In BBS, that is Terra's modus operandi.

Ventus is also not supposed to go into direct Keyblade-melee "smoothly" like Sora (or in BBS' case Terra, as he is the supposed "Sora" of BBS, only slower but with more whack behind the smack) because his backhanded battlestyle is primarily defensively oriented and players are supposed to make the most out of Ventus' exceptional speed, agility and movement advantages (like reversal) in combination with effective commands.

You can even make Terra "behave" more like Sora in plain Keyblade-whacking only when using the Ventus-D-Link giving him Haste.

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards
I know it wasn't exactly Aqua's and Ventus' "style" to be like that, but I still don't get that as an excuse for permanently missing the enemies (am I the only one who hates those birds who fly like 893475984 meters high and only rarely land to steal your munny? What where they thinking while making those?), but even Terra, even though his style is more similar, felt way different to control than KH2-Sora.
But that's also due to the awful gameplay mechanics that punish you for trying to go for a good strategy. Dodging is the way the game works, sadly.

hemmoheikkinen

Dear Kafka
Awards
Hmm, I like most of the playable characters in the KH-series. This is a tricky one....

Birth by Sleep made me feel very powerful with it`s different commands, either it being Aqua`s powerful magic spells, Ven´s attacks that relied on speed or Terra`s raw power... at the end I felt like a freaking monster. Blasting trough enemies with Terra`s Ars Solum, Ven`s Ars Arcanum, Faith and etc.. or Aqua`s Triple Firaga or Thundaga Shot. I liked how the use of Keyblade felt with Terra´s and Ven`s later weapons, and the Ultimate weapon and Eraqu`s keyblade gave to Aqua a sense of impact when the hit connects. The first weapons have a bit of hollow feeling. It felt that they did not carry enough weight.

I like how DDD was a evolution from this. Sometimes when doing a certain commands in BBS it forces you to the ground, but in DDD you could do even most of the powerful commands in midair. It feels nice to jump to air and do a Firaga Burts. I have said this before, but this also made me develop certain tactics. Since the commands can be done in midair they could be also used to travel. When I was playing as Riku and reaching for Young Xehanort, I started with normal dashes in the air and lastly managed to travel the few meters with a well timed Blizzard Edge, even hitting YMX. That felt really good.

I like the weight of the Keyblade in KH1 and 2, and the smoothness of KH2 moves is something I adore greatly. KH2 can be button smash fest, but the hits feel really good. KH1 can be a bit clunky, but you feel that there is enough weight in the attacks and that is important to me. The way enemies stun in KH2, and especially in KH1 is really good. I hope they can get that back in the future.

Watching the 0.2 gameplay, the Keybalde hits seem to have that similar weight behind them again. Combine this with the powerful magic spells and command styles, 0.2 has a big chance of coming my favorite. My favorite is now tie between KH 1 and 2/ BBS and DDD. A hybrid of those is something I am looking forward to.

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
No. They really don't.
The amount of times Aqua was too lazy to jump at regular enemies when I played yesterday was too damn high.
I mean it's a personal preference that I'm not a big fan of the command gameplay, that's true. But they definitely don't move as smoothly as Sora does, closing in on enemies "automatically" and all that.

I think that improved in 0.2 though. Aqua didn't feel perfect, but I at least didn't feel like she missed the enemies for no reason when I tried to hit them.
I disagree. The BBS trio is about as smooth as Sora in KH1 and everyone seems to universally understand loving that game/wanting that style of gameplay to return.

KH2/DDD Sora is worlds different from KH1 Sora though and both move very smoothly but KH1 was pretty clunky.

Aqua never auto jumped but that's a style preference for her not a broken battle mechanic, you're meant to use her magic techniques as that's her strong suit.

I definitely understand personally not enjoying it but I don't understand flatly disbelieving why anyone else would enjoy it above other games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back