• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Feelings about the 20th Anniversary so far

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
Well the big event was nice with KH4's reveal plus hinted Star Wars world, I wish they'd just go ahead and confirmed SW outright already instead of leaving us hanging.

It's disappointing that there wasn't more to the anniversary beyond that event. D23 came & went without a peep. KH collabs with Disney's mobile titles (IE Speedstorm, Sorercer's Arena, Dream Valley, etc.) seems like such an obvious route for easy anniversary points that didn't happen.

For what's it's worth, DR did gave us a complete KH game for free with no strings attached beyond the silly grinding.

Of course we also got the thing I refuse to shut up about on Switch, the utterly baffling cloud versions because expecting the 20 year old PS2 games to run on a system that plays Witcher 3 & Doom Eternal was apparently too much to ask for. Hell, Square just released Nier Automata on Switch with surprisingly decent performance & soon we'll be seeing what is not a mere port but full-on remake of Crisis Core. The math just does not add up at all.

Oh, we managed to finally see the fabled lost pilot of the KH cartoon this year. A shame it didn't pan out, it would be so refreshing to see this series run through a sane-competent-writer filter for once.

kirabook

Bronze Member
Awards
It's nice and casual, which I think is a good thing for a year long celerbration. Dropping actual content throughout the year too (the KH4 announcement, Dark Road, Missing Link?????). Merchandise is out of my price range, but pretty to look at. Was the Smash reveal this year too? That was pretty good even though I don't play Smash.

It's all in the marketing. I feel like they were wise not to hype it up TOO much. We got a few fun drops throughout the year with no major expectations. We weren't expecting KH4. We were expecting Dark Road and they eventually delivered and it was actually kinda nice. We were expecting Missing Link but I don't think anyone is all that hype about it so it won't be all that disappointing if it doesn't get a beta/release this year.

Much better than how bombastic ATLUS pretended the 25th anniversary for Persona was going to be. 😬 That one was... kinda yikes. I feel like maybe the western marking is where the error occurred. Or, maybe they were being too secretive about the nature of the announcements and wanted people to be excited with their livestreams and reveals but... no one is going to get hype over the typical merchandise and restaurant collaborations... which were mostly japan only.

KudoTsurugi

Awards
Yeah, this year was pretty good as an anniversary year.
Was the Smash reveal this year too? That was pretty good even though I don't play Smash.
No, that was last year, but that was pretty good too👍

The fact that we’re getting Kingdom Hearts 4 as the next major game is a big highlight for me. And the fact we were finally able to see the animatic for the KH cartoon pilot was a welcome surprise, even if it did end up getting taken down later😅

Still, always nice to see what could’ve been, and fingers crossed that a proper animated series is still in the cards🤞

blank points

Awards
All in all, I was quite satisfied with the 20th Anniversary. The announcement of KH4 was the big draw for me. I went into the anniversary event with fairly low expectations, so KH4's reveal was a very pleasant surprise, considering I honestly didn't think we would be getting to KH4 so quickly. I also really enjoyed Dark Road's story as well. I honestly think it was one of the better stories we've had in the series so far. Now looking forward to Missing Link. I will echo some others in this thread, in that it was a bit disappointing that there wasn't a little more to it, but KH4 made up for it, at least for me.

AegisXIII

Awards
In term of event and announcements, it was okay I think.
But there was no real release of any anniversary content. So it's a bit of a letdown on that side.

kirabook

Bronze Member
Awards
As far as game anniversaries go, I think this one is pretty standard. My gaming history memory is a bit fuzzy at the moment, but don't think these year long celebrations were very common back in the day.

If all the content they released this year was only on the day of the Kingdom Hearts anniversary, it'd be a pretty impressive anniversary day. An announcement for the next installment, an animated movie with Dark Road essentially, merch, some collaborations with other businesses. I think the only thing missing was another world tour concert.

It was fine. Pretty standard.

Chie

Awards
Yeah, I don't think they should have done a ton of things just because it's this year or anything. But it's basically a normal year, so I don't consider it a "celebration" either.

Sonofjafar

Awards
If Disney’s gonna do another live thing for games next D23 and don’t have info on Kingdom Hearts 4, I better get my epic Mickey remakes. I am not going to waste several days waiting on a series of announcements for games that I couldn’t care less about

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
As far as game anniversaries go, I think this one is pretty standard. My gaming history memory is a bit fuzzy at the moment, but don't think these year long celebrations were very common back in the day.

If all the content they released this year was only on the day of the Kingdom Hearts anniversary, it'd be a pretty impressive anniversary day. An announcement for the next installment, an animated movie with Dark Road essentially, merch, some collaborations with other businesses. I think the only thing missing was another world tour concert.

It was fine. Pretty standard.
I wish they would announce another world tour concert.

I want to hear a segment with all the Data Battle songs in a medley AND Nachtflügel.

AegisXIII

Awards
I have to say: it was way better than Zelda anniversary, where nothing got announced.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
If Disney’s gonna do another live thing for games next D23 and don’t have info on Kingdom Hearts 4, I better get my epic Mickey remakes. I am not going to waste several days waiting on a series of announcements for games that I couldn’t care less about
Man, that showcase was hella mid. When it peaks at the beginning with a Tron VN and Mickey side scroller, something went wrong.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
I feel pretty good about it. We got the KH4 announcement, which is all I really wanted. The Disney+ rumored show being confirmed would have been nice but it didn't really put a damper on anything for me.

AegisXIII

Awards
Kingdom Hearts + Disney's marketing is as fun to watch as Kingdom Hearts + IGN.

AleMustDie

Awards
It's OK, KHIV revelated soon enough.
But ML:
Just need to more details from it, a new Trailer in 2022 would 've been appreciated.

Oh, and I was expecting some OST Collection from the previous KHs... but nothing happened

Back