• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Final Fantasy III - "crystal tower masochism"

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Magnus

Silver Member
Awards
I'm sure this port is rendered at a higher solution than the iOS version though.

Recon

Art of War
Awards
Announced a while ago, but Final Fantasy III is coming to Steam.

New features include:
Updated graphics and visuals.
Includes Achievements.
New feature of Stream Trading Cards.
Optimized.

Not sure how people feel about seeing the DS version ported. Luneth gets to steal the spotlight (for once)

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
*Blows dust off thread*

*Is crushed to death by a mountain of dust*

Square Enix has released an update for the PC, iOS, and Android versions of Final Fantasy III, which adds several new features including a Gallery Mode, auto battle function, 2x speed battle mode, and more.

The full list of new features is as follows:

• Gallery Mode
  • Auto battle function
  • 2x speed mode in battle
  • User interface changes (Steam version only)
  • Support for 21:9 ratio (Steam version only)
  • New languages: Traditional Chinese (Steam version), Simplified Chinese (Steam version), Thai and Japanese.
The PC version, which is available via Steam, is currently 50 percent off. The iOS (App Store and Android (Google Play) versions are not on sale.

Yeah, this is getting new console ports soon, ain't it?

Also, Holy shit they still haven't put I & II on Steam yet?

maryadavies

She Shoots for the Stars
Awards
Website
maryadavies.vze.com
No kidding on 1 and 2 Matgsy. But to be honest, I thought the PS1 collection (Origins) did it best and if I can get my own copy, POUNCE!

And that reminds me *redls FF3* ..I've been getting the itch to play it again lately.

Last edited:

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
No kidding on 1 and 2 Matgsy. But to be honest, I thought the PS1 collection (Origins) did it best and if I can get my own copy, POUNCE!

And that reminds me *redls FF3* ..I've been getting the itch to play it again lately.
May wanna wait, update apparently broke the game.

maryadavies

She Shoots for the Stars
Awards
Website
maryadavies.vze.com
Sorry about the double post, but I decided to see HOW it broke the game.

At least with me, I'm just having text run out of text boxes. I'll wait, for that's half it's charm! I'm not getting any blackscreens though.

Can't deny the graphics look better however. ^^ So does the menus..but the text is messed up and stretched out.. like having a space in between every. letter. which makes that run off and look like crap.

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
I'd rather Square Enix went broke from over-remaking every entry of FF except III than put some effort on any FF3 project.

Sorry, not a fan.

Kidding! In the overly petty part. I don't care, might finally give it one last try, but III just isn't my cup of tea.

maryadavies

She Shoots for the Stars
Awards
Website
maryadavies.vze.com
And that's okay Ballard! Me, I like old skool; and this the bonus of remembering a friend in it for me who pushed me to play the original (fan translation). Desh, where ever you went after you quit RPGamer; I hope you're okay. ^^ (He took his handle from Desch btw; the original translation of that name was Desh.)

maryadavies

She Shoots for the Stars
Awards
Website
maryadavies.vze.com
Again, sorry about the double post!

Anyway they patched it again not too long ago. NOW no more text overflow issue! (and no registry hack needed to play without not understanding the cute story; there was a very minor registry hack that fixed the text overflow issue, but it's no longer needed.).

Oh and btw, I do mean to use these Warriors of Light in a fic later ;), but you'll see.

Oh and for any newbies playing this game; keep in mind at its heart, it's a grindy NES title, so be prepared to grind grind grind at spots. But for me in these uncertain times, it's oldskool comfort food. Not to mention it has fuzzy reminders of the RPGamer friend who pushed me to play the NES unoffical translation of a rom hack back in teh day; Desh, Desh, I hope you're okay.

SweetYetSalty

Awards
I've been meaning to play Final Fantasy 3 for awhile now. Is it good? I heard it had a Job system and I love the one from FFV, so any game with a Job class is up my alley. It's on the DS so I was thinking about trying to get a copy to play soon. Also Refia's cute.

Rydgea

keeps leaving X-mas decor up year-round.
Awards
Website
backloggery.com
I've been meaning to play Final Fantasy 3 for awhile now. Is it good? I heard it had a Job system and I love the one from FFV, so any game with a Job class is up my alley. It's on the DS so I was thinking about trying to get a copy to play soon. Also Refia's cute.

The DS version is what I played nearly a decade ago when it first came out. There might be other ports with better QoL add-ons, though. I had already appreciated the superdeformed look of IX, and so the remakes of III and IV really did it for me (was my first time playing IV, too). I think it's an incredible piece of showmanship as a foundation for the series. The soundtrack just enraptured me. It's timeless. But like @maryadavies said, you've got to be in it for the grind. That's what it's all about: exploring these jobs.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
Endgame is a nightmare. No mid-dungeon saving, no way to escape it, final boss is a massive difficulty spike, & it's so easy to accidentally stumble upon the point of no return without realizing. I spent a whole day once just grinding levels there & still lost, losing over 6 hours of progress. At which point I busted out the Action Replay.

Rydgea

keeps leaving X-mas decor up year-round.
Awards
Website
backloggery.com
Yeah, it's a very old school move. With no saves, that last dungeon can be unforgiving, but it's also what you've been building towards *cough* setof4onionknights *cough* and I don't remember having to replay it but maybe once? We see similar surges in other early FF titles. It shouldn't repel you.

SweetYetSalty

Awards
The endgame sounds scary, a dungeon with no save points? And difficulty spiking boss? Guess I'll be job/level grinding when I play the game. I'm use to it. By the way does maxing out your Job class powerup the Freelancer like it does in FFV?

SweetYetSalty

Awards
I have it! I just got a copy of Final Fantasy 3 DS! It's been really fun so far! One of my favorite aspects of the Final Fantasy series is their Job Class system. I mastered it in FFV so now playing it in FFIII is pretty fun and seeing it in a more early stage is quite the experience. This is also my first true turn based Final Fantasy that doesn't involve the ATB.

Mwahaha, while the rest of the world is playing FFVII Remake I'm playing the true best FF remake. Also Refia is best girl!

Perkilator

Awards
I thought this was Kingdom Hearts III talk as soon as I saw “III” in the title. I thought I missed something in KH3 about a “Crystal Tower Mechanism”.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
The endgame sounds scary, a dungeon with no save points? And difficulty spiking boss? Guess I'll be job/level grinding when I play the game. I'm use to it. By the way does maxing out your Job class powerup the Freelancer like it does in FFV?
Not really. Job passing abilities to other jobs started in V.

SweetYetSalty

Awards
I finished Final Fantasy 3! What are my thoughts? I had quite the experience. Like I said before this was my first turn based Final Fantasy game and it was a lot of fun. Different from the ATB system, and a bit more random with the strategy but still lots of fun. I heard in the original the four main characters are just blank slates. It kinda shows in the DS remake too because the four Warriors of Light didn't have much personality. They weren't blank slates but were limited to one trait. A shame since the opening showed all four with lots of potential. However, that doesn't mean I disliked them or didn't have fun with them. Quite the opposite. I gave them personalities of my own and it made these four among my fave FF characters.

Luneth: The silver haired leader. I gave him the personality of a young man obsessed with Gil. Every fight he would count the gil the team would make and would hate to spend any of it. The other members would have to force him to stay at the overpriced town Inn's and have to fight him over buying new equipment. Luneth was a gil horder, and admired Goldor's mansion for how how much investment the villain went for gold. He was a Dragoon because it looked goldish. He stayed a Dragoon once the class became available and was unstoppable.

Arc: The shy coward. I would have Arc always try to run away at the start of every battle early on in the adventure because he was a coward. The other members would randomly attack him during grinding sessions for his coward acts. Even in boss fights, Arc would take a turn to flee and fail. Over time he gained confidence and would never run from a fight, even when times called for it. He became a honorable and valued member of the team that everyone respected. Healing anyone with potions and defending teammates. He had great growth from a coward to a hero. Fitting that he became the Knight of the group.

Refia: Best girl. The personalty I gave Refia was amusing. If you talk to her dad he'll ask her if the team is feeding her. I decided to base her personalty on it. She was a hungry big eater of the group. Those Chocobos in the opening movie, where are they? Refia ate them. The Fat Chocobo you store items in? Refia ate it that too which is why the team never used it in my playthrough. Doga's summoning his Moogles to attack the group? Refia threatened to eat them. Any monster she gets the killing blow on she eats. That included Bahamut and Leviathan. I had to make her the summoner after eating them. Don't ask how she summons eaten beast. And lore wise she invented the devour ability in FFVIII.

Ingus: The fallen hero. Ingus was probably the most fun to make a story for. After leaving Princess Sara and his castle behind, Ingus goes to the dark side. He becomes a thief and steals from everyone, including other kingdoms. He raids everyone of their hidden treasures, unlocking doors, stealing and leaving nothing behind. Such a dishonorable person he's become. He was once so noble and just, but now he's a no good thief that evolves into a Dark Knight. Everyone is shocked at his change. However near the end he sees the light and returns to being a good person and Devout.

So yeah I had more fun with this Final Fantasy then I probably should have. It was hard at times but fun. The final dungeon was probably the most intense dungeon I ever played. Lots of bosses, no save points and only recovery after boss fights. It was quite the experience and even at level 61 I was having trouble with certain enemies. The final boss was probably one of the hardest final bosses I've ever done in Final Fantasy. Way tougher then the likes of Neo Exdeath, Kuja, Kefka, and Sephiroth. I was sweating bullets the whole Dark World segment. I love games that can make me do that.

My favorite aspect of the game is without a doubt the Job Class system. Final Fantasy V is my favorite in the series and it's mainly for the Job Class and how great it was. And while FFIII's Job system wasn't nearly as robust as FFV's It was so cool to see how the system first came to be. I actually saw lots of ideas in FFIII that FFV would take, polish and make better. So to me this game was important to the history of Final Fantasy and a worthy addition to the series. This is the first FF game I truly used Dragoon (Haven't played FFIV)

Sadly I couldn't do the Mognet sidequest because I had the DS version and you need Wifi. No Onion Knight, legendary smith, and superboss for me this playthrough :(

And that's my review of FFIII. Maybe it wasn't the best FF game but I would certainly play it again. Now I want to go back and play FFI and FFII Dawn of Soul remakes. Bring on the old school Final Fantasy's!

Edit: Also I'm team Xande! Why did Doga and Unei get the good gifts but Xande got mortality? Magus Noah is a jerk! He and Kuja should start a team.

Back