• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Final Fantasy Pixel Remasters (UPDATE 2: FF6 Release Delayed to February!)

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Awards
The Pixel Remasters of Final Fantasy I, II, and III are going to be released in July, with IV, V, and VI to come sometime after.

Right now, they are only being released on
iOS/Android and Steam. I’m sure though, that a full collection of them will be available at some point on consoles.

It looks as though they are remasters of the GBA enhanced versions.

(As of June 30, Square has pulled V and VI off of Steam.)

UPDATE:
Famitsu recently released some screenshots from FF6. It seems to very Octopath inspired with 2D/3D blend graphics. The opera scene looks amazing!!! Release date is also listed as Winter 2021. Surprise Xmas release???

33E939BF-7485-42E4-A531-EBC5BDE37952.jpeg

UPDATE 2:

Square released a statement stating that FF6 has been delayed to February to give them more time to polish.

0BF7BF8C-5A45-41F8-86C9-BD6D3F6F8A90.jpeg

Last edited:

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
Actually it seems they're all based on original releases, none of the bonus dungeons included.

ss_270e296a9a7eb3d385eee10b5457b3529d793f78.1920x1080.jpg

ss_1d4be2aa8bbcc0c9513133ab22bf96b23834ece4.1920x1080.jpg

Also the english fonts suck ass.

This whole thing is such a wasteful exercise. What they needed to do was make versions of 3, 5, & 6 that looked like the PSP 1, 2, & 4. Which they basically already did with 5 & 6 except they had those shitty party member sprites. All they literally had to do was change those sprites in particular & it'd be golden. Instead, they put more work to create lesser versions & removed the better versions.

Noivern

Awards
This whole thing is such a wasteful exercise. What they needed to do was make versions of 3, 5, & 6 that looked like the PSP 1, 2, & 4. Which they basically already did with 5 & 6 except they had those shitty party member sprites. All they literally had to do was change those sprites in particular & it'd be golden. Instead, they put more work to create lesser versions & removed the better versions.
That would be my worst nightmare, lol.

I like the 1 and 2 PSP interactions because those games never had much of an identity in the first place so the PSP remakes are very solid, even if I still prefeer the GBA pixel art (there's also the bonus content they cut out lol), but for the others this definitely is not the way to go.

3 was very generic as well and the 3D remakes didn't do much to change that, so it could get that treatment for all I care. But 5 and 6 deserve better.

5 has a really cool story and amazing concept art with unique characters, it should get a proper remake instead of RPG Maker graphics. And the 6 mobile/steam port is awful. Even with the mods to take away that ugly filter, it still doesn't do justice to that beautiful 16 bit pixel art. But the worst offender to me is the ugly UI that clashes with everything and it's SO bad to look.

What those classic games truly deserve are 2.5 remakes in the same vein as Octopath and the upcoming Dragon Quest 3 Remake.

Max

"There's always money in the banana stand."
Staff member
Awards
Not only would I prefer to have these on consoles instead of PC/Mobile, but I saw the price point today. Gonna be a pass on these for me, I think I'll just stick with my old versions for now.

shuyin_zer0

Awards
Each game will also have a newly recorded soundtrack. I hope there’s an option to toggle to the original/older versions, because it can make or break the game for a lot of us (looking at you, Nier Replicant).

You can hear a small bit of FF1’s map and battle themes here @22:50

Zackarix

Awards
It feels like they heard the complaints about the updated graphics of 5 and 6 and came to the conclusion that the complaints happened because the sprites were changed instead of people disliking those graphics in particular.

This release feels really weird in general. They announce a re-release of the old classics, but only put them on platforms that already had ports of the games. Sure, there are things like finally getting an official release of the original version of 3 in the west and getting 1 and 2 on Steam, but if you already own a version on that platform you're less likely to rebuy them even if you like the pixel versions. The decision to not release these games on modern consoles is baffling.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
Also, if bonus dungeons are gone, does that mean other changes like rebalancing is gone as well? Are party members gonna attack empty air in FF1 instead of retargeting? Will FF2's leveling mechanics be at their full unwieldy grindiness? Are they doing ANYTHING about 3's back-to-back final dungeons?

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
Also, if bonus dungeons are gone, does that mean other changes like rebalancing is gone as well? Are party members gonna attack empty air in FF1 instead of retargeting? Will FF2's leveling mechanics be at their full unwieldy grindiness? Are they doing ANYTHING about 3's back-to-back final dungeons?
Don't miss next week's episode of Dragon Ball Z...

*ahem* Haha, in all seriousness tho, these Pixel Remasters suck if they don't include bonus GBA content :/// It's good to hear that part of the original staff is working on them, especially the sprite artist, but it's a bit disheartening

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
It’s not like the GBA content was anything substantial.
FF2 had a whole mini-campaign with 4 deceased characters fighting their way out of Hell. One of whom wasn't even a party member previously.

FF5 had the battle against Enuo, a greater evil mentioned a few times in the main game but didn't appear until GBA. Nomura designed his appearance even. Plus 4 jobs.

FF3 had named party members. Those guys are all retconned out of existence now.

Awards
I really hope they release this collection for consoles at some point, because I want to experience II, V and VI, which I've never played before!

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
  • If there's enough demand, they'll bring it to other platforms
  • Adjusted game balance
  • Kazuko Shibuya did all the new character sprites
  • Uematsu re-arranged all BGM
  • Sound effects have been reproduced
  • New Monster Book registers monsters you encounter in a list and allows you to mark them on a map
  • New sound player allows you to play all BGM from the start
  • Gallery feature (contains almost all Amano illustrations)
  • Keyboard/controller support

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
Square: "Hey, that's what the Steam deck is for!"

Zackarix

Awards
  • If there's enough demand, they'll bring it to other platforms
People have been asking for the classic Final Fantasies on the PS4 and Switch for as those platforms have existed, the only way SE wouldn't know this is if they have selective hearing. At best this is an attempt at double dipping, at worst it's leading up to a catch-22. The games do well on mobiles phones and PC? Then porting them to consoles isn't necessary, they're doing just fine where they are. They do poorly? Then it isn't worth porting them because there isn't enough demand.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
People have been asking for the classic Final Fantasies on the PS4 and Switch for as those platforms have existed, the only way SE wouldn't know this is if they have selective hearing. At best this is an attempt at double dipping, at worst it's leading up to a catch-22. The games do well on mobiles phones and PC? Then porting them to consoles isn't necessary, they're doing just fine where they are. They do poorly? Then it isn't worth porting them because there isn't enough demand.
Which'll come first at this rate: FF, KH on Switch, or the heat death of the universe?

Rydgea

keeps leaving X-mas decor up year-round.
Awards
Website
backloggery.com
There are already a large number of FF titles on the Switch. I could see them releasing a Pixel Remaster Collection port to consoles once they are all available, but, then again, that's what I initially thought PR was going to be when it was first announced, sooo..

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
They'll port the Pixel Remasters at some point. Tony Hawke's game is selling even better after they released the Switch version. It's just a matter of time and to survey how willing Switch owners are to possibly expense $59.99 for the first six FF games. I think SE wants to see consumer behavior in terms of price. They could be waiting for an established profit from these games in order to them incur the costs of porting and possibly selling a collection for a lower price than buying all the games in mobile/Steam.

Zackarix

Awards
Why are people so focused on Switch ports specifically? Why not all consoles?

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
Why are people so focused on Switch ports specifically? Why not all consoles?
'Cuz there's more interest in them from the Switch crowd. Be it for the portability factor or that these games were all originally on Nintendo systems to begin with, or that retro pixel graphics is just seen as more of a Switch thing, maybe that 1 direct with the 7-12 announcements left an impact on expectations. That and there was a rumor pre-E3 that name dropped Switch so there are those that were bummed it didn't happen.

Anyone who has a PS5 or Series X are generally focused on the new and cutting edge. Of course the games can and should be multiplatform, but it's gonna be more popular on 1 platform in particular.

(Plus, Square's probably gonna do something lame like only 10 trophies per game and no platinum).

Last edited:
Back