• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Final Fantasy VII Remake Megathread - Intergrade, Rebirth, Reunion and more

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
Wait... so what is releasing is going to be Part 1? How many parts will there be? I was hoping to buy it all as one game and complete it. Why would they need 2 discs for Part 1?

Wait... so what is releasing is going to be Part 1?
Midgar, Part 1 is Midgar & ends with the party leaving Midgar.

How many parts will there be?
Square themselves do not know yet. Could be everything else is done in the 2nd part. Could be 3. Or 4. Or 17. No one knows.

Why would they need 2 discs for Part 1?
Because Nomura is not a sane, rational thinking human being. Given that Square is charging $60 for what was originally the 1st 5 hours of VII in the old days, perhaps they were being so sure that there would be enough content to be a standalone title that they went overboard & put in too much.

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards
How is it possible that Part 1 of a remake of an ancient game is bigger than all of KH3!?
giphy.gif

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
How is it possible that Part 1 of a remake of an ancient game is bigger than all of KH3!?
It’s coming with multiple languages and cutscenes that need to be lip synced to those languages, including uncompressed CG. That takes up a lot of space.

Sakuraba Neku

Awards
I heard Midgar is just a small portion of FF7 and there are much more cities after that, but I honestly doubt this Remake will have more than 3 parts and that's already assuming each part may have 2 discs. It doesn't seem reasonable. I'm thinking they will either be less ambitious with the other cities or they will cover some stuff with cutscenes.

I honestly don't understand how a remake of a PS1 game can become so big that they need to divide it in different parts. Makes me wonder how much would be necessary to remake KH2 Final Mix...

Last edited:

drew0512

Awards
I honestly don't understand how a remake of a PS1 game can become so big that they need to divide it in different parts.
It's not a 1:1 remake, it's an expansion of the original game. Final Fantasy 7 has prequels, sequels, a movie sequel and novels and it's safe to assume they're taking elements from them to flesh out some parts that were underutilized or even ignored in the original. Just making a 1:1 remake would be a big task as the original game is huge (which is normal for a "pure" JPRG), let alone when you're expanding it.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
So apparently SE told press and influencers in their behind-closed-doors presentations that the new voice cast is exclusively for the remake. Other appearances will continue to use the original VAs.

drew0512

Awards
So apparently SE told press and influencers in their behind-closed-doors presentations that the new voice cast is exclusively for the remake. Other appearances will continue to use the original VAs.
What's the point? I mean, it's nice that people who got to voice these characters for years get to do it again, but I don't really see the point in having a character be voiced by two different people when you could easily just stick to one.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
What's the point? I mean, it's nice that people who got to voice these characters for years get to do it again, but I don't really see the point in having a character be voiced by two different people when you could easily just stick to one.
"In REMAKE we are giving voice to the original FINAL FANTASY VII for the first time. By bringing in a new generation of actors, we hope to provide the best experience for original fans and new players."

- Yoshinori Kitase

This is the first time that Final Fantasy VII itself is getting voiced. It doesn't follow the regular universe or rules of the previous Final Fantasy VII universe so it seems that they want to take the opportunity to give a new life to Final Fantasy VII, and the results and opinions outside of this forum seem to be working / more favourable. People like that Cloud doesn't sound bored this time around, Barrett's VA is a sweet man, the voice actress for Aerith is a big Final Fantasy fan and cried for three hours when she got the role and people have been supportive, Tyler Hoechlin is hot, and Gideon Emery is always a blast.

So for Square Enix to have two sets of VA's for these characters, it just comes down to splashing out for the remake and keeping the previous Final Fantasy VII universe in-tact / consistent. Which again, outside of this forum, has worked.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I heard Midgar is just a small portion of FF7 and there are much more cities after that, but I honestly doubt this Remake will have more than 3 parts and that's already assuming each part may have 2 discs. It doesn't seem reasonable. I'm thinking they will either be less ambitious with the other cities or they will cover some stuff with cutscenes.

Yes, but with the remake they are giving Midgar more time to shine in this. It's a multi-tiered city with various sectors that we never visit. It seems like they are trying to create an open world feel for just Midgar alone, which works because we never really experience the opulence of the people who live above the plate and we only just barely experience the squalor of the people who live under the plate.

Being able to see both by completing tasks and quests within Midgar helps in really amping up the horror of President Shinra ordering for Sector 7's plate to be dropped onto Sector 7's slums.

They definitely won't go as far with the other cities, but I also don't think they won't make each game two disks. I think they very much intend to make each part a massive beast, with each part having a major city that is huge. The reason we are getting two disks is because of all of the audio files and cutscene data for those audio files.

Luminary

Bronze Member
Awards
While I love Steve and George’s takes, I like that they’re recasting the voice actors for the remake. It shows me SE is making some creative choices to make this game stand on its own, despite surely knowing doing so might polarize the fan base. I highly doubt they would risk the backlash from fans without feeling strongly that this was the right move for the game.

However, I may be biased because, as a theatre person, I don’t take issue with different actors taking on the same role. I love to see what different actors can bring to iconic characters in different productions of the same play/film/etc.

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards
"In REMAKE we are giving voice to the original FINAL FANTASY VII for the first time. By bringing in a new generation of actors, we hope to provide the best experience for original fans and new players."

- Yoshinori Kitase

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the Japanese version keeping the same actors? If so, then I'm sorry, but (apologies if this sounds rude) what Mr. Kitase said here is complete crap. Now if the Japanese cast has also been replaced, then I'd believe it.

People like that Cloud doesn't sound bored this time around
Except Steve Burton's Cloud has sounded bored because of the way Nomura and others at SE chose to depict Cloud outside the original game. lol

Cody Christen would also sound bored if he was playing the "Cloud doing his best Vincent impression" version.

While I love Steve and George’s takes, I like that they’re recasting the voice actors for the remake. It shows me SE is making some creative choices to make this game stand on its own, despite surely knowing doing so might polarize the fan base. I highly doubt they would risk the backlash from fans without feeling strongly that this was the right move for the game.

However, I may be biased because, as a theatre person, I don’t take issue with different actors taking on the same role. I love to see what different actors can bring to iconic characters in different productions of the same play/film/etc.
I'd say theater is a bit of a different beast, but I see why you wouldn't take issue with this like others have because of it.

At its core, the problem with the change in voice actors is that characters are their voices. It plays just as vital a role as appearance/design, writing, etc. And this applies to any animated character. When that changes it's like waking up to find your family members replaced with complete strangers. They "act" like your family, but you know they're not and it drives you insane.

Heck, this is also why people hate it when face actors are replaced. Their acting and appearance is integral to that character, so when they are replaced by someone, it just comes off as a stranger taking over their life and everyone just....acting like their memories have been wiped. It's creepy.

As someone who places cartoons/video games in high regard and wants to have my own animated empire, character voices are something sacred to me. ("sacred" might be too strong a word, I dunno, but I couldn't think of another word for it.)

Last edited:

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the Japanese version keeping the same actors? If so, then I'm sorry, but (apologies if this sounds rude) what Mr. Kitase said here is complete crap. Now if the Japanese cast has also been replaced, then I'd believe it.
It was an interview with the North American branch, he was only speaking about the decisions for the Western version of the game, which is why he didn't touch on the Japanese voice actors. It's also clear that the decision for new voice actors came from the Western branch (probably a Teen Wolf fan).

Except Steve Burton's Cloud has sounded bored because of the way Nomura and others at SE chose to depict Cloud outside the original game. lol
It's not them who ultimately direct the voice actors, but the voice director at Skylark. All the shoddy KH voice work all boils down to them as well, since the language barrier with the Japanese correspondent on Skype has a negative effect on their output, especially with post-FFVII Cloud. Thankfully that person seems to have taken a backseat with KH3 and, it seems, FFVIIR.

I get people's disappointment but let's not pretend this is the first time that voice actors for Final Fantasy VII have been replaced. Sephiroth has had two voice actors and Aerith has had three. Most of them haven't done voice work for these characters outside of Final Fantasy VII Advent Children, which was almost 15 years ago, and the parts they have had have been really small or a part of a spin-off game.

But the thing is, those voices still exist and will continue to exist. It's unfortunate, but Square Enix is trying to appeal to a different demography by including new, more recognisable voices. Frankly, I really liked what I heard in the E3 trailer. Everyone seems to perfectly fit their characters. Not to say the originals, or third-originals, wouldn't have sounded like a good fit for the characters in this game but the casting director has done a good job at getting actors whose voices do match the characters.

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards
It's not them who ultimately direct the voice actors, but the voice director at Skylark. All the shoddy KH voice work all boils down to them as well, since the language barrier with the Japanese correspondent on Skype has a negative effect on their output, especially with post-FFVII Cloud. Thankfully that person seems to have taken a backseat with KH3 and, it seems, FFVIIR.
*doof* Meant to include them, but I meant in terms of writing/how scenes are directed. For example, looking at Cloud's lines, appearance, and mannerisms in both KH1 and 2 give off the "cool, stoic loner" vibe. So in this scenario, people who don't know any better could look at that and think "he talks like that then." And poof! Bored emo Cloud is born.

Looking at another character. Demyx's dialogue and mannerisms are much more animated and lively. And with that came a more animated and lively voice direction.

EDIT: There's also how Skylark might be trying to copy the Japanese voices to varying degrees of success...

But also (it's been forever but I'm positive this was said) in an interview for Advent Children, it was stated Cloud acted the way he did because he was essentially hijacked by fan interpretations.
---I wanted to edit this in last night, but my power went out. ;~;

So in that sense, while the voice direction at Skylark has been ass many times, there may be other factors involved where they're not given enough to really work with. (Not trying to remove any blame from Skylark since they still chose what they did. I'm just trying to look at the whole scenario.)

I get people's disappointment but let's not pretend this is the first time that voice actors for Final Fantasy VII have been replaced. Sephiroth has had two voice actors and Aerith has had three. Most of them haven't done voice work for these characters outside of Final Fantasy VII Advent Children, which was almost 15 years ago, and the parts they have had have been really small or a part of a spin-off game.
Admittedly, I sometimes have a hard time counting Lance Bass since Sephiroth spoke so little in his appearance in KH1 he came off more as a placeholder.

While I do actually agree here, I believe most complaints about the voice changes are toward Cloud and Seph. Characters who show up all the time in everything, so people are much more used to and expect hearing Steve Burton and George Newburn as Cloud and Sephiroth than say, Liam O'Brien as Red XIII (whose voice is up in the air at the moment.) I also haven't heard anyone complain about Aerith. Probably because we're already used to her voice actress changing. lol Briana White is such a precious bean. ♥

Last edited:

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
So the 2 discs will be necessary to play the English version or would you only need one disc? Also, will it be like 5 hours of gameplay? If that's how much it was in the original, they can't really add more main storyline stuff to it, right? It's probably 5 hours of main story and a ton of side quests?

I'm just trying to decide whether I should get it when it comes out or wait for the whole game to be released.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
So the 2 discs will be necessary to play the English version or would you only need one disc?
You will need both discs. The second disc will most likely be a data disc, where you have to install the data off it and then swap back to the first disc as that is the one that is playable. Red Dead Redemption II does the same thing.

Also, will it be like 5 hours of gameplay? If that's how much it was in the original, they can't really add more main storyline stuff to it, right? It's probably 5 hours of main story and a ton of side quests?

I'm just trying to decide whether I should get it when it comes out or wait for the whole game to be released.
According to the developers, it has the same amount of content as a full fledged Final Fantasy game of yonder past. Midgar in the original release was only a couple of hours but this time they have added in new scenarios, story, areas, and more. We have seen a few changes and hints of the changes in the trailers already.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
So the 2 discs will be necessary to play the English version or would you only need one disc? Also, will it be like 5 hours of gameplay? If that's how much it was in the original, they can't really add more main storyline stuff to it, right? It's probably 5 hours of main story and a ton of side quests?

It’s going to be a full-length game, likely well over 40+ hours of story, and who knows how many hours of gameplay. They have completely retooled the Midgar story to be able to create an extended story with tons of new content. Like Chaser said, the trailer alone shows that they have completely changed the story. It’s still similar to the original but there are new aspects that have completely altered events.

Aerith is never attacked by wraiths (which are likely Sephiroth clones). Aerith never actually has any of that exchange with Cloud in the streets with the flower. Jesse certainly doesn’t live long enough to flirt with Cloud. Cloud doesn’t hallucinate Sephiroth in an alley. There are other story details like Cloud experiencing distortions whenever his past with Tifa is brought up.

What we all assume is happening is that they are making Midgar a near open world with tons of buildings to enter and the ability to visit more locations in the different sectors, both above plate and in the slums.

Even though they said that the Compilation stuff might not come into play in the Remake, there is technically enough content to pull from to introduce it into the Remake if they choose to do so like the Turks, Deepground, Avalanche...

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Even though they said that the Compilation stuff might not come into play in the Remake, there is technically enough content to pull from to introduce it into the Remake if they choose to do so like the Turks, Deepground, Avalanche...
It's criminal that Cissnei was not really utilised in the series.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
It’s going to be a full-length game, likely well over 40+ hours of story, and who knows how many hours of gameplay. They have completely retooled the Midgar story to be able to create an extended story with tons of new content. Like Chaser said, the trailer alone shows that they have completely changed the story. It’s still similar to the original but there are new aspects that have completely altered events.

Aerith is never attacked by wraiths (which are likely Sephiroth clones). Aerith never actually has any of that exchange with Cloud in the streets with the flower. Jesse certainly doesn’t live long enough to flirt with Cloud. Cloud doesn’t hallucinate Sephiroth in an alley. There are other story details like Cloud experiencing distortions whenever his past with Tifa is brought up.

What we all assume is happening is that they are making Midgar a near open world with tons of buildings to enter and the ability to visit more locations in the different sectors, both above plate and in the slums.

Well I never played FFVII, so I don't know about Aerith being attacked or some Jesse person flirting with Cloud or whatever.

I'm the type of guy that wants to play a game and complete the whole story at once, so I'm really thinking about whether I should wait for all the parts to be released or if I should get the first part and play that alone. The way it sounds, how huge the first part may be, it might be good to get it and get acquainted with the world.

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards
I just realized I don't know if I can handle being in Midgar for possibly 40+ hours. XD

It's criminal that Cissnei was not really utilised in the series.
They better include my third FFVII waifu! It'd also give the Remake more opportunities to talk about my number one FFVII waifu.
tumblr_inline_obje940CNR1tr04v0_500.gif

Please, SE!

Since people will probably ask who my second FFVII waifu is. It's Tifa. Sorry for no funny answer, ya goobers.

Back