• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Final Fantasy VII Remake Megathread - Intergrade, Rebirth, Reunion and more

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Rydgea

keeps leaving X-mas decor up year-round.
Awards
Website
backloggery.com
I quite like the homage to the original cover, but the new logo looks worse than ever tacked on it. They just really smudged out Yoshitaka Amano's clean, iconic art with their generic 3D-ifying.

Also, since the site has updated, I question why they're keeping Red XIII under wraps. I guess it's just due to his late appearance in this chapter, but worst-case scenario they just save him for another part. If one thing must remain the same, it's that I need my sweet Nanaki to be in it from the get-go.

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards
I quite like the homage to the original cover, but the new logo looks worse than ever tacked on it. They just really smudged out Yoshitaka Amano's clean, iconic art with their generic 3D-ifying.
It would help some if the logo had that sweet Mako green.

xNJh2ml.png

Also, since the site has updated, I question why they're keeping Red XIII under wraps. I guess it's just due to his late appearance in this chapter, but worst-case scenario they just save him for another part. If one thing must remain the same, it's that I need my sweet Nanaki to be in it from the get-go.
I'd be pretty annoyed if it turns out they moved him to the next part.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Red XIII should be this part. They could expand shinra into a real final dungeon and give Red XIII a lot of time to shine there, plus there should be end game content (only if Nomura has learnt) and some can be locked behind needing Red XIII.

Luminary

Bronze Member
Awards
I imagine they’re gonna give Red XIII a larger role in the finale. I’d like to see him be like Riku in KH2; he doesn’t come in until the final dungeon, but has a lot of development packed into that time. They can pull this off by going deeper into Hojo’s experiments and maybe bringing back Cobalt XIV and Indigo XV or their general concept.

I could see Rufus’ Guard Hound being changed to a Nanaki clone. Let Nanaki join Cloud in that boss fight while the others flee so he can get some one on one screen time with Cloud after the fight.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
It was just now occurred to me that we won't be renaming party members. 0/10, objectively worst version confirmed.

Xickin

Traitor of KHInsider.com
Awards
Website
nicholasdoyle6.wixsite.com
I'm very interested in the gameplay. Like, the ability to go from real time to a sort of homage to the old turn-based tactics? Very exciting.
(Although I am butt hurt about not getting the original voice actors from Advent Children and onward)

highwind35

How fresh is it really when the new guy doing Sephiroth just sounds like George Newbern minus the sultriness? Or how Cody Christian sounds like Steve Burton?

This was solely done as a way to make it more mainstream by attracting the fans of these actors. Will it actually work? Hard to tell when this will sell big simply on the fact of what it is.
Right? That's what I was thinking too. How is it that they are wanting a "fresh" take on the characters yet they keep almost the same voice direction. It makes no sense - not to mention the Japanese version is keeping their Advent Children / Compilation Cast. I don't know what game Square Enix/ Sony is playing - but I don't like this dishonesty with fans and the voice actors.

Well, what if old VA just ended their roles? I'm talking about new projects that will be released by FFR, where is the guarantee that the old VAs will return there?
On twitter, some people have a panic about this.
Actually it isn't officially confirmed that Cook returned to her position as Tifa in Dissidia - only on Beyond the Voice Actors does it say, but they aren't saying where they got the confirmation either. We really don't know if there are any projects that are being made FOR these voice actors to return to (only only to voice like.....4 or 5 lines in).

I see FFVIIR as a complete reimagining of the original game, which didn’t have voice acting. All the FFVII VAs we know and love were cast here and there for different projects as needed. And many characters like Aerith have never had one consistent VA.

So from my perspective, and I believe from SE’s, this is an opportunity to voice cast the game from scratch with age appropriate voice actors who have good chemistry with each other, who can more easily adapt to changes in characterization, and who will be contracted to play the role for however many installments this project will run.

It’s nothing I have against any of the original VAs. I just think they’re making a creative choice to separate this game from the compilation and I support them in that. I’ve said this before, but as a theatre person, I have no issue with different actors playing the same role. In fact, I very much enjoy seeing new takes on a part.
While I see your point - the only actors that have worked together are Emery, Hoechlin, and Christian. I get they have a "rivalry" of sorts in Teen Wolf, but these voice actors have actually worked with each other in several projects too and also have chemistry. The fact that Japan is keeping the same voice actors as Advent Children and the Compilation doesn't help the argument about "age appropriateness" of the characters. Also, the original cast members have been available for 17 years to voice the characters even with their filming schedules (Burton being an Emmy wining actor and still on General Hospital) and Newbern (who was on Scandal). They both were able to record Dissidia NT and Mobius.

It also makes no sense that the new voice actors are trying to emulate the performance of the Compilation cast. What's the point of changing if they are just going to make them sound as close to the previous voice actors as possible (sans Barret and Tifa for some reason who are trying to impress the Western audience with a "Mr. T " stereotype and "tough girl" image.)

The Japanese voice actors are considered to be prolific actors and are highly well known with a huge fan following. They aren’t changing them because they can use them to promote the game.

Alternatively, the English voice actors are definitely people of some fame but hardly as well regarded as their Japanese counterparts. This gives them a lot of room to recast with younger, up and coming stars or more prolific ones, or even just cast people they feel fit these roles better now.
I mean if that is the case, why did they keep the voice actors for 17 years? There have been plenty up and coming youngsters that could fit the roles and yet they kept them. The OG's are well regarded, Crispin Freeman, Steve Blum, and Quinton Flynn are all Top Tiered voice actors and George Newbern is an incredible Superman. Heck Burton won 2 Emmy's for his acting - that's why they've been around so long. Aerith changed so much because the majority of fans didn't like her from the get go. People didn't like Mena's Aerith so they switched her to Andrea (I LOVED Mandy Moore as Aerith, I wish she remained the same).

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I mean if that is the case, why did they keep the voice actors for 17 years? There have been plenty up and coming youngsters that could fit the roles and yet they kept them. The OG's are well regarded, Crispin Freeman, Steve Blum, and Quinton Flynn are all Top Tiered voice actors and George Newbern is an incredible Superman. Heck Burton won 2 Emmy's for his acting - that's why they've been around so long. Aerith changed so much because the majority of fans didn't like her from the get go. People didn't like Mena's Aerith so they switched her to Andrea (I LOVED Mandy Moore as Aerith, I wish she remained the same).

Because they weren’t making a high-budget remake of FF7 back then. Also Nomura probably has a different idea for their English voices now.

Their current actors are still the voices of these characters for any other FF media, though, they just aren’t for the remake.

highwind35

Because they weren’t making a high-budget remake of FF7 back then. Also Nomura probably has a different idea for their English voices now.

Their current actors are still the voices of these characters for any other FF media, though, they just aren’t for the remake.
That still doesn't answer the question as to why they are being directed almost identical to the original voice actors. These new voice actors aren't even that well known (many fans had to research Cody and Tyler) nor have they been acting for that long (in some cases) so if it were high-budget they should be bringing in voice actors / screen actors that have more experience and are more well known than the voice actors that were voicing them for 17 years.

Seems they are really only targeting the "Teen Wolf" because they think it is a larger pool for people to buy PS4's and PS5's and the multi-part game and has nothing to do with creative direction if you ask me. It's sad that these 17 year voice actors are put on the back burner after voicing them loyally for so long. Square really kicked them in the teeth this time - a real low-blow. Not only that, it seems they were only contacted this year and told about the recasting, so Square strung them along since 2015 without the courtesy to tell them earlier but waited just months before the State of Play trailer.

Nyx Winters

The Dawn Fox
Awards
Im really hoping we get genises as a secret boss at some point as he is alive through this one and i also gotta wonder if we will be getting dirge of cerberus easter eggs and foreshadows if not an outright side story run up to DOC

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
Im really hoping we get genises as a secret boss at some point as he is alive through this one and i also gotta wonder if we will be getting dirge of cerberus easter eggs and foreshadows if not an outright side story run up to DOC
Genesis woke-up after the events of Dirge of Cerberus, and remember we don't know the extent of the Compilation's rewrite, nor do we know if they've considered the plot of Crisis Core.

Nyx Winters

The Dawn Fox
Awards
Genesis woke-up after the events of Dirge of Cerberus, and remember we don't know the extent of the Compilation's rewrite, nor do we know if they've considered the plot of Crisis Core.
I swear to sephiroths mum's creepy head if after all this waiting if i dont get to see genises v cloud i will rage ...... maybe. Also is their any info on if seph will be playable in snippits like the original?

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
I swear to sephiroths mum's creepy head if after all this waiting if i dont get to see genises v cloud i will rage ...... maybe. Also is their any info on if seph will be playable in snippits like the original?
No clue whatsoever. But I imagine it's a point they'll address after the first episode is released, seeing as how it'll end after they leave Midgar, so a couple of minutes after that, is the Nibelheim flashback.

rokudamia2

Dream eater ally.
Awards
The problem with Genesis being in in the remake is that his appearance is just Gackt’s appearance. They’d need to get his permission to use him. It’s also suspected this is part of the reason crisis core never got a rerelease.

D

Deleted member 246005

Its a bummer about the VA's getting replaced but it's not uncommon or unheard of.

I'm still just hoping for Deepground or Remnant secret boss fight, canon be damned.

Back