• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Final Fantasy VII Remake Megathread - Intergrade, Rebirth, Reunion and more

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

OathkeeperRoxas XIII

Silver Member
Website
www.fanfiction.net
FF7 remake isn't episodic in the same way Telltale's games were. Additionally, it seems like there were a lot of other things that contributed to Telltale's closure such as being a small company that expanded too quickly, and that's not even mentioning that they're working in completely different genres for different markets. There are a lot of potential problems that Telltale could have had that wouldn't have anything to do with FF7 remake.

FF7R is NOT episodic. It is being reinvisioned as multiple, complete games a la the XIII trilogy.

then why did someone bring up FF7R and compared it to Telltale. They brought up FFXIII but you know everyone hates it and like any series you can't dare defend it or a chat or a podcast vs you on facts

Magnus

Silver Member
Awards
When remade into a game with modern production values, the total amount of content will be the equivalent of multiple modern games. Financially speaking, it makes no sense to sell it as a single product. They'd be doing that at a loss. If you spend 3-4 times as much resources on something compared to your average product, the only way to profit from it is to sell it in parts. They originally used the words "episodic" in the press release, but later clarified each instalment would be closer in size to a game like Final Fantasy XIII and its sequels.

Max

"There's always money in the banana stand."
Staff member
Awards
When remade into a game with modern production values, the total amount of content will be the equivalent of multiple modern games. Financially speaking, it makes no sense to sell it as a single product. They'd be doing that at a loss. If you spend 3-4 times as much resources on something compared to your average product, the only way to profit from it is to sell it in parts. They originally used the words "episodic" in the press release, but later clarified each instalment would be closer in size to a game like Final Fantasy XIII and its sequels.

On the one hand, I get that, I really do. Don't mistake what I'm about to say as not understanding this, because FF7 was huge and will be even bigger when brought to today's standards.

But when I hear this, it always ALWAYS makes me think of games like The Witcher 3. Games that are massive and huge and do have everything all together in one package. And the original FF7 doesn't even come close to the scope of The Witcher 3, and I really don't imagine these three remakes of FF7 put together will either.

I'm not arguing for a single complete remake of the game in one package, I've accepted the trilogy thing and it's fine. But I don't feel like it would have been wholly out of the question for it to all be one giant game either, we just would have ended up waiting to play any of it for a good while longer.

But who knows, maybe Square will surprise me and this will be a 300 hour adventure across all 3. We'll see.

Last edited:

Rydgea

keeps leaving X-mas decor up year-round.
Awards
Website
backloggery.com
Part II: Cloud wakes up in Icicle Inn with all of his memories lost, all the level grinding to 99 in the City of the Ancients has been reset. :Y

Seriously though, I'm dying to know what constitutes breaking up the original story. The ending to XIII felt like an ending, while XIII-2 clearly set us up for more. For those of us that know better, it might be a little jarring seeing how they decide to end each volume. They've got all of the compilation to draw upon (for better or worse) and just repackage as FFVII, so perhaps we'll see the whole universe streamlined.

Magnus

Silver Member
Awards
Seriously though, I'm dying to know what constitutes breaking up the original story.

Like I said in my previous reply, development costs. If the cost of remaking the entire game by today's standards is the equivalent of 3 contemporary AAA titles, it doesn't make sense to sell it for the price of one.

There's a lot more that goes into making games now. Voice acting, motion capture, intelligent AI, hiring orchestras for the soundtrack recordings and what not.

I don't think they would have broken it up like this if they could have made it work with the budget of a single AAA project. In that case, I think they would have had to scale things down and done something more akin to a 1:1 remake.

I'm confident they will expand enough on the content that was already there to make it seem more rewarding. Kalm probably isn't just gonna be one open town square and a couple of shops this time around but an actual town, and both Vincent and Yuffie will be worked into the plot as mandatory characters.

This is definitely going to be at least cross-gen though at the very least, possibly even a next gen exclusive.

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
He's the Director. He's practically the game's and company's face in terms of the communications. Other than that, people already give him a needless bad rep after Versus XIII.

Launchpad

i remember the OLD khinsider
Awards
I don't think it's very surprising that this game is basically crawling along. I'm not too invested outside of the fact that KH2FM's lead battle planner is the battle planner for this game, so it'll probably have a very smooth and polished battle system with lots of depth (unlike FFXV) but come on, we're going to be much older when this thing is ready to release, if ever.

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
lMZeJ50.jpg

This will finally be resolved!

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Nomura needs co-directors. He’s a good ideas man (in small doses) so he does need someone on the ground to remain focused and progress things forward.

Hope this means they’re tightening down on everything and are funnelling towards a release date.

Back