• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Final Fantasy VII Remake Megathread - Intergrade, Rebirth, Reunion and more

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Luminary

Bronze Member
Awards
I wonder if they figured the game wasn’t popular enough to stand side by side with Ever Crisis once that starts up later this year? I’m not too concerned about Missing Link just yet, but it could be a sign Missing Link could have a shorter lifespan than UX did. It’ll do better if it is more mobile friendly I think. FS really should have been on consoles with the control scheme.

D

Deleted member 246005

I was hoping for another remake. I wanted Zack to go against Rhodes.

Oh well there's always FF7R2. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards

FhxXDosUcAYV0vJ

Trophy/achievement lists soon, please?

Last edited:

AegisXIII

Awards

FhxXDosUcAYV0vJ

Trophy/achievement lists soon, please?
Amazing. They also remade the sounds right? The fight with genesis seems to have heavy movements sounds to give this felling of power.
Please Square, use this experience to remaster birth by sleep the same way.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
Amazing. They also remade the sounds right? The fight with genesis seems to have heavy movements sounds to give this felling of power.
Please Square, use this experience to remaster birth by sleep the same way.
TBH, I'd be more interested in a Dissidia 012 remaster.

AegisXIII

Awards
There is a nice faq here where we can learn a lot about the technical details.
Apparently the fmvs were not rerendered but they used AI to upscale them and tweak the videos to add some changes like the new buster sword handles. Then for the summons it's brand new animations.
Also we learn that it was relatively easy to port the game to unreal engine due to the main code using the same language than the engine (C++). I wouldn't have thought it could have been easy, especially since most of the code architecture was not design with unreal engine in mind.

NoWay

Awards
There is a nice faq here where we can learn a lot about the technical details.
Apparently the fmvs were not rerendered but they used AI to upscale them and tweak the videos to add some changes like the new buster sword handles. Then for the summons it's brand new animations.
Also we learn that it was relatively easy to port the game to unreal engine due to the main code using the same language than the engine (C++). I wouldn't have thought it could have been easy, especially since most of the code architecture was not design with unreal engine in mind.
Do we know if the KH games are also using C++? This would raise the hope of them being remastered too.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
I really hope they put a demo up for it soon. I know nostalgia goggles are going to hit me hard when the game launches and I'll see the game isn't as good as I remember, but I'm still keen to get a feel for the updated combat.

AegisXIII

Awards
Do we know if the KH games are also using C++? This would raise the hope of them being remastered too.
I think in an interview for 1.5, they stated the code was in C++.

However, they also stated that they lost the code for KH1 (not the other titles) and had to use a disc version of the game and recreate the code with external tools + various tweaks, so it is hard to know the level of flexibility they have now.
Decompiling the code can recreate the logic, but you definitely loose the variable names, so if your code used to be:

C++:
if (button_pressed == 'X') {
   sora.attack()
} else if (button_pressed == 'O') {
   sora.jump()
}

After the decompilation, it should look something like this:
C++:
if (a == 'X') {
   b.attack()
} else if (a == 'O') {
   b.jump()
}
Having, 'a', 'b', 'c', etc... for variable names makes it very difficult to read and modify when you have thousands of lines of code.

So based on that, if they were to add the same treatment to the KH series, it should be relatively easy for all the titles minus KH1, I would say. But not impossible...

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
We're talking about games that Square couldn't be bothered to port in a more straight forward, cheaper manner to Switch. Square seems very unwilling to spend that much on the older games.

AegisXIII

Awards
Unpopular opinion:
"Crisis Core reunion is meant to be played before Remake."
Now you will tell me I am wrong because crisis core reveals what happened to Zack which is the big plot point of FF7. And I disagree because Remake reveals Zack's existence without any context, which is terrible. The big reveal of the remake saga is not who Zack is, but what happened to him, why is he still alive?
Crisis Core reunion gives the main context of Zack and Sephiroth that allows to grasp the big reveals of remake that a complete newcomer wouldn't be able to understand at his first playthrough.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
Unpopular opinion:
Now you will tell me I am wrong because crisis core reveals what happened to Zack which is the big plot point of FF7. And I disagree because Remake reveals Zack's existence without any context, which is terrible. The big reveal of the remake saga is not who Zack is, but what happened to him, why is he still alive?
Crisis Core reunion gives the main context of Zack and Sephiroth that allows to grasp the big reveals of remake that a complete newcomer wouldn't be able to understand at his first playthrough.
The original 7 is meant to played before the remake, which somewhat defeats the purpose of a remake.

D

Deleted member 246005

Unpopular opinion:
That depends on what they do with Zack in part 2. Right now it would make more sense to play it after the big reveal.

AegisXIII

Awards
D

Deleted member 246005

I'd probably play part 1 before crisis core reunion anyway. Because it will be cheaper to purchase.

I would've preffered a remake with Genesis adapted out. He always just felt like a Sephiroth stand-in which I didn't feel Zack needed. He would've been better off with a rotating cast of villians. Have him fight against Raven before Crisis or ninjas from Wutai.

It would be cool if there was a co-op segment where Zack and Cloud have to work together to escape Hojo's lab. It's a Way Out meets Andor.

Hopefully Genesis gets a better role in future parts of the remake.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back