• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Final Fantasy XVI

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
I hope it comes this Fall, too. I've decided to wait for the release date for this to be released before I buy the PS5, since otherwise it would just sit by itself in a box until either FFXVI or the next KH game comes out.

Sakuraba Neku

Awards
They have to release it this year. What else would be Square’s big game in 2021?

I mean they’ll release Forspoken in 2022. We also might get the next KH entry in 2022. FF7R2 will likely release in 2023.
I doubt FF16 will be released this year. Yoshida is woking in FF14 and FF16 and this fall they will release FF14 expansion Endwalker.
FF16 may not come out before next year at the earliest

HeartsProdigy

Awards
FFXVI in PlayStation was changed from TBA to Coming Soon. Based on my experience, they won't say Coming Soon unless it will be released within a year. So have fun guys! Wohoo!!

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
It's just a minor dev update, but I really wish they won't continue to drop info during XIV streams. There's already a ton of gatekeeping from XIV fans towards XVI; we don't need it from the devs as well.

Xblade13

The Cleric of Flamesgrace
Awards
It's just a minor dev update, but I really wish they won't continue to drop info during XIV streams. There's already a ton of gatekeeping from XIV fans towards XVI; we don't need it from the devs as well.
I'm... not aware of any gatekeeping in regards to XVI?

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
I'm... not aware of any gatekeeping in regards to XVI?
I've seen a ton of it, although in all fairness, it's not intentional or even mean-spirited behavior. It's a consequence of their diehard loyalty for the shared staff behind both projects leading XIV fans to stake such an intense claim on XVI that it makes those who aren't in that circle feel like outsiders or posers for looking forward to the game.

Last edited:

Xblade13

The Cleric of Flamesgrace
Awards
I've seen a ton of it, although in all fairness, it's not intentional or even mean-spirited behavior. It's a consequence of their diehard loyalty for the shared staff behind both projects leading XIV fans to stake such an intense claim on XVI that it makes those who aren't in that circle feel like outsiders or posers for looking forward to the game.
Hmm, I guess I must hanging out with the right people then. XD Most of what I have seen is just intense excitement, a "I wonder what they'll be able to do with a single player story" kind of thing. I haven't seen anyone outright say that we XIV players deserve it more.

Part of the reason that group might be more excited for it than people that aren't XIV players would be because we've seen what they can do in an MMO, which is limited by the fact there are tons of players on screen. The XIV story is insanely good.

It'd be like me not being as excited for a sequel to X or XII as those that did play it probably would be. That doesn't mean those players are "gatekeeping" it, more that they have a source of hype I do not possess.

I will agree that there are people in our community that ATTEMPT to gatekeep things, but it seems to mostly be about "keeping toxic players away" from the game, which ironically means they are themselves toxic.

Rydgea

keeps leaving X-mas decor up year-round.
Awards
Website
backloggery.com
From what I've heard about the FFXIV community, it's one of the better ones as far as MMOs are concerned. Odd that anyone would pretend FF(XVI) is as insular as all that.

Also, great update. I know no dates have been announced, but to have all the local VO work done, scenarios complete - it seems this thing is seeing the light of day at latest by some time next year, I imagine. Keeping the development guarded makes for nicer surprises for sure.

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
Square Enix's Fiscal Year ends in March 31. FINAL FANTASY Origins and Forspoken have a 2022 release date. I have a feeling Square will release them during their new Fiscal Year in 2022 in order to start the year strong. And I have a feeling that FFXVI will be released either in Fall or the Holidays of 2022

Sakuraba Neku

Awards
I've been only hearing great things about the last expansion Endwalker from FF14 and it's making me hyped for FF16. Whatever Yoshida and his team are cooking, I hope it lives up to their reputation. I'm not expecting anything less than a top 5 FF game.

Last edited:

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards

Greetings everyone.

When we last spoke, I promised I would have more information on FINAL FANTASY XVI sometime later in 2021. However, I regret to inform you that I will be unable to keep that promise as complications stemming from the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic have delayed the game's development by almost a half year.

As the latest addition to the FINAL FANTASY series being developed for the PlayStation 5, FINAL FANTASY XVI has amassed a sizeable team composed of talented creators from around the world. However, in an effort to offset the effects of COVID-19, we've had to decentralize that workforce by permitting staff to tackle their assignments from home. This has unfortunately hampered communication from the Tokyo office, which, in turn, has led to delays in - or in extreme cases, cancellations of - asset deliveries from our outsource partners.

That said, we have spent much of 2021 addressing this issue, and hope to see its impact to a minimum by the new year, allowing us to better focus on the tasks at hand: increasing graphic resource quality, refining combat mechanics, fleshing out individual battles, putting the finishing touches on cutscenes, and conduction overall graphical optimization. Our primary goal now is to be as hands on with the game as possible in order to see it fully polished.

So that leaves us with the questions, when can we expect the next round of informations? Well, I am happy to announce the current plan is to conduct our next big reveal in spring of 2022 as we seek to built excitement leading up to the game's eventual release.

I deeply apologize to all those who have been looking forward to learning more about FINAL FANTASY XVI, and thank you for your continued patience while we focus our combined efforts on development.

FINAL FANTASY XVI Producer
Naoki Yoshida

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
That's what well-conducted PR looks like.
Admitting when there are complications and communicating them clearly without any extra accompanying excuses or trying to sweep it under the rug.

Whatever some propaganda outlets may distribute this pandemic, especially when taking into account the new omicron variant of the virus, is right now far from over so it is not surprising that there are complications rising up in the game development industry as well.

I haven't got a PS5 yet anyways so maybe the release of FF XVI will eventually be the trigger to change that in my household, lol.

Back