• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

First Critical Mode Playthrough Advice

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Wallflower3582

I'm sure there's plenty of threads on this kinda thing but I'm not really sure how to dig them up so…

I just started my first playthrough of Critical Mode on KH3, and this is actually my first Critical playthrough on any KH game in general. (except for maybe BBS, I can't remember…) I'm no noob, I've always jumped straight into Proud mode first time on every game in the series, but I've never needed too much finesse, always had a bit more of a charge right into the action and heal constantly approach.

I'm managing in Critical now, but struggling quite a bit in the first world so far, haven't hit any big bosses yet. I've done research on tips for getting through it, so I know about utilizing blocks, cooking, accessories, abilities, etc. but I still find that things like timing blocks and keeping track of large groups of enemies is tough. Does anyone have any tips and pointers for surviving my first time going Critical? Things maybe you first learned to do back in KH1 or 2 that I should know? Stuff you learned the hard way?

okhi12

Awards
I struggled a lot too. Critical is specially tough in Olympus when you have very low max. HP and no Cure magic. Flame cores, water cores and soldier heartless attacking from behind were a nigtmare. The sand monster formed by earth cores gave me a lot of trouble, too. You'll get better eventually. If you're bad at blocking, try to move a lot around the battlefield, that helped me avoid atracks. Use magic against the core heartless (specially water on flame core so it doesn't become incandescent and fire to destroy the bubbles water cores enclose themselves in). Abuse dodge roll and equip as many potions as you can. Critical becomes a bit easier once you learn Cure and formchanges and shotlocks are available.

drew0512

Awards
Move a lot and don't focus on a single enemy, just hit and run. Airstep should also be your best friend

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
As someone that also has little experience with Critical I have to say staying mobile and practicing blocking were the most effective tools when I was working my way through. Also be sure too upgrade your Keyblades.

I personally ended up cheesing it with the Ultima, seeing I wanted to the Proof before reminds release. Still it was amazing what a difference food would make.

Also a tipp for later on, if you die and you have used up a lot of items will defeating one enemy in a multi stage boss fight, you can re-equip items like potions. This came in handy while facing Xehanort.

Wallflower3582

I personally ended up cheesing it with the Ultima, seeing I wanted to the Proof before reminds release. Still it was amazing what a difference food would make.

Also a tipp for later on, if you die and you have used up a lot of items will defeating one enemy in a multi stage boss fight, you can re-equip items like potions. This came in handy while facing Xehanort.

Yeah I have Ultima too and so far it's been helpful but I also kinda feel like I'm cheating haha… thanks for the tip on potions! That definitely sounds handy

Awards
If you're still struggling on the first world, try grinding out some small fry enemies and leveling up until things become easy enough to manage. Once you get Counter shield and Ever After's shotlock, they should save you in most situations, especially the harder boss fights.

The best advice I can give in general is to just be patient and try to learn the patterns of each enemy, because as hard is it may seem, every boss and/or mob fight in the game is very beatable. You just have to know what you're doing.

TruestSyn

Bronze Member
Awards
What kind of limitations are you putting on yourself? Have you removed Attraction Flow or are you still using it? I myself tried to limit to only using the keyblade from the world and turned off Attraction Flow but when push came to shove I would switch to Ultima to do some clearing. Shotlocks, items, constantly upgrading equipment is good, don't be afraid to rely on your allies (set those AI parameters) and if you can get some good AP up accessories on your world partners get them that Team Attack boost so you can have more I-frames to abuse. Also summons help too, especially Simba, and magic close to Situation command time can give you an extra damaging ability.

Wallflower3582

I've made it past Twilight Town now, getting the hang of the group enemies too. I don't really have any limitations set on myself, I swap back and forth between kingdom key and Ultima depending on if it feels to easy or hard so I don't become totally reliant on OP equipment. Still mildly concerned about how I'll do with the KG battles, but I'm sure I'll make it! Thx for all your advice ☺️

Back