• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

"Fish Face"

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
I only just recently found out that in KH1.5 HD they didn't eliminate the "fish-face" videos and re-do them in HD so that the characters don't look so weird. I don't know anything about graphics design or anything, but do you think it'll be easy to do for KH2.5 HD? I was really let down when I found out they still have those faces for the games. If there is one thing in Kingdom Hearts I had to pick that I didn't like, those faces would be the only thing I'd pick. So is it possible they'll fix those for this upcoming HD set? Will it be easy to do?

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
well,
BWlKrobCcAADbPF.png

But if they are updating models and textures in BBS, they might eliminate some of the fish faces. After all, they spruced up Sora and Riku's models in BBS so their faces were more emotive.

Rydgea

keeps leaving X-mas decor up year-round.
Awards
Website
backloggery.com
omg Chaser, that still - it's genuinely scary

I am all for removing those bad boys if they have time. I find it doubtful they will, but one can always hope.

Javelin434

Awards
SOMEONE MAKE A MEME OUTTA THAT FACE xD
Like... add that Scumbag Steve cap on him and let the funnystorm BEGIN!
ScumbagSteveHat.png

NO WAIT!!!!! I GOT ONE!!!!

What if I told you
BWlKrobCcAADbPF.png

Kingdom Hearts isn't light?

Last edited:

Solo

Silver Member
Awards
Correction: this one looks to me more like Conspiracy Sora.

WHAT IF KINGDOM HEARTS
BWlKrobCcAADbPF.png

ISN'T ACTUALLY LIGHT?

I agree wholeheartedly though that this issue has to be touched on. The models in KH2FM have been improved, why not just go ahead with it?

Not only Sora and Riku, but I find that Roxas' expression looks better in KH2FM, too...

Javelin434

Awards
Correction: this one looks to me more like Conspiracy Sora.

WHAT IF KINGDOM HEARTS
BWlKrobCcAADbPF.png

ISN'T ACTUALLY LIGHT?

I agree wholeheartedly though that this issue has to be touched on. The models in KH2FM have been improved, why not just go ahead with it?

Not only Sora and Riku, but I find that Roxas' expression looks better in KH2FM, too...
omg thank you for the correction
If I could like your post, I totally would. Seeing that just made me laugh harder than I should xD

The_Echo

Anti-SENA Operative
Awards
I'm gonna be honest, seeing certain discussions of and reactions to HD 1.5 here, it feels to me like the Kingdom Hearts fanbase is kind of unfamiliar with HD collections, and thus expects more from them than I might consider reasonable. 99% of the time, it's literally just changing the aspect ratio and upscaling textures. 1.5 went far, far beyond the expectations I had, given precedent and prior experience.

So, no. I don't think the fish face will go away. I think to fully animate the faces in every single scene is far too much work, especially when it seems they're already altering the models (and controls, camera) in BbS and will probably be making the Mirage Arena PSN compatible.

Not to be that guy, but don't get your hopes up. Just expect the games in HD 2.5 to be crisper versions of their former selves.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
I'm gonna be honest, seeing certain discussions of and reactions to HD 1.5 here, it feels to me like the Kingdom Hearts fanbase is kind of unfamiliar with HD collections, and thus expects more from them than I might consider reasonable. 99% of the time, it's literally just changing the aspect ratio and upscaling textures. 1.5 went far, far beyond the expectations I had, given precedent and prior experience.
Honestly the amount of people that were upset by that "we've been lied to" video or whatever it was called was ridiculous.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
Isn't the KH fanbase in general often ridiculous when it comes to such things as overblown expectations?

Sometimes I get the feeling that being upset because overblown expectations were not met happens actually more often than the much dreaded shipping wars.

ShardofTruth

Unchained
Awards
Honestly the amount of people that were upset by that "we've been lied to" video or whatever it was called was ridiculous.
If you mean "Kingdom Hearts HD -1.5 ReMIX-: A Deep Analysis" by Everglow8444, that one was pretty interesting and has some good points, although some of them were overblown and couldn't be avoided in the short time span the game was made.

Anyway, for anyone who doesn't know: There often two versions of character models available in the games, a low poly model that is mostly used during the actual gameplay and a "HD" model that is shown during some cutscenes. The HD model is much more detailed, has a higher polygon count and more bones to show more sophisticated animations. When the "fish faced" low character model is used during cutscenes it's mostly because of time constraints, resulting from the fact that all animations are made by hand and not by motion-capture for example (maybe they will do this for KHIII, I hear they are still searching for someone that fits the duck).
That being said it's not possible to just exchange the HD with the normal model, because due the different bone structure the animations wouldn't work anymore and even then it would be a huge amount of work that SE won't undergo, so deal with it.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
Well I never played any other HD collection before, so I just thought they were like increasing the graphics of everything to make it seem like KH on the PS3 (with uptodate graphics). I don't mind the fish face because like I said, I love Kingdom Hearts and the only thing "bad" if I had to pick something would be the fish face. Thank you for the explanations though.

Nazo

Hope Remains
Awards
I fully expect fish faces in 2.5.

But if they include them in KH3, that's just not right. PS4 hardware should be more than enough to give everyone on screen fully animated faces simultaneously.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
I fully expect fish faces in 2.5.

But if they include them in KH3, that's just not right. PS4 hardware should be more than enough to give everyone on screen fully animated faces simultaneously.

Totally agree. KH III CANNOT have fish faces.

Jadentheman

Bronze Member
Actually KH2 and BBS aren't too bad with the fish face. KH2 doesn't have much close ups on the fish face as KH1. And BBS was composed for 16x9 so those issues shouldn't be as jarring

kdude17

It's a bit nit-picky but the fish faces have bothered the hell out of me. If KH3 has fish-faces I would be so disappointed lol.

Gram

Banned
Awards
Isn't the KH fanbase in general often ridiculous when it comes to such things as overblown expectations?

Sometimes I get the feeling that being upset because overblown expectations were not met happens actually more often than the much dreaded shipping wars.

That is no feeling sir, it's how it actually unfolds.

ajmrowland

Keyblade Master
Awards
I think whether or not they will do it depends on how much work would be required for the remaster alone PLUS whether or not they want to replicate the experience of the game. For 1.5, they may have simply aimed for recreating the PS2 experience, but they also had to recreate much of the game.

Shadow Fenix

I 'Member
Awards
I honestly wish they would add in the capes for Birth by Sleep. Been hoping for that since this was rumored

Rydgea

keeps leaving X-mas decor up year-round.
Awards
Website
backloggery.com
It'll be interesting to see what areas of the envelope are pushed or what they intend to iron out assuming this process will be more efficient than 1.5, with efforts not having to focus on lost data.

Noonem

Website
www.youtube.com
I think the "fish faces" add some charm to Kingdom Hearts. Being immersed in the story and then as it pans on Sora's devastatingly soulless face you are reminded that none of this is real and your life sucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back